• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•06-08•17 - Ponies trampled by Runner, Mountain Between #1 & #2

Trouble with POTC is how much of the series’ appeal is Depp as Jack Sparrow. Take that away and you might end up with Cutthroat Island.

I think if/when they do reboot it, they have to find a way to do it with trying to replace Jack directly. Maybe focusing more on the entire crew rather than the captain specifically?

They should give POTC a break and reboot it later with another Jack Sparrow. In the interim, have LucasFilm develop a movie based on Monkey Island. Make it animated to separate it from POTC. The source material is much better.

I was under the impression that Pirates 5 was Disney's attempt at doing a Force Awakens-style legacy sequel, starring new characters on their adventure to meet the legendary Jack Sparrow and Will Turner. Having not actually seen it yet, is this not the case? I did notice the advertising seemed to heavily focus on Jack which isn't what you would do if you were trying to shift focus to new heroes.

In any case, Disney is almost certainly trying to figure out how to sever themselves from Johnny Depp before he gets into even more hot water and it hurts the Disney Brand™.

kswiston

I'm not convinced that PotC has enough of a fanbase centered around the property itself (rather than the actors' specific interpretation of the characters) to support a big reboot. It strikes me as being closer to Ghostbusters than Spider-Man.

I'm not convinced that PotC has enough of a fanbase centered around the property itself (rather than the actors' specific interpretation of the characters) to support a big reboot. It strikes me as being closer to Ghostbusters than Spider-Man.

If this were any other studio, I would say that that doesn't mean they won't try. But Disney could mothball Pirates for the next 20 years and not miss a beat, so maybe you're right.

jett

D-Member
Well, first of all, you read that post completely wrong. Someone said that latinos will likely make a noticeable portion of Ragnarok's viewer base and jett was just "I'm latino, what exactly would make Thor: Ragnarok so appealing to us?" Nowhere does Jett say he's not gonna see the movie because there are no latinos in it. Just questioned why someone would think latinos would come to see a white-ass movie like Thor: Ragnarok en masse because contrary to your thoughts, the minorities themselves do like to support positive representation when there is some and Ragnarok doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would pull those audiences in.

You're right on the money. I really was just poking fun at Slayven's assertion.

berzeli

Banned
$15.1M for Blade Runner 2049
It went from an estimated 58% drop fri, to 56% estimate on sat, to 54%... so if this weekend was four-five days longer and it followed the same pattern...
54% drop isn't a disaster. I guess there was kind of an audience for this, if only it had opened much higher.
It's not enough, Fury Road dropped 46% on its second weekend, and Blade Runner needs to match that.

kswiston

The rest of the estimates

Screenshot_20171015-090853.png

jett

D-Member
It went from an estimated 58% drop fri, to 56% estimate on sat, to 54%... so if this weekend was four-five days longer and it followed the same pattern...

It's not enough, Fury Road dropped 46% on its second weekend, and Blade Runner needs to match that.

Blade Runner would have had to drop like 30% or less to be on the road to semi-success.

Sapiens

The goes the blade runner expanded universe they were banking on...

No Mexican Blade Runner. No Canadian Blade Runner. Damn.

This is worse than not getting a sequel to Ghostbusters 2016.

berzeli

Banned
Blade Runner would have had to drop like 30% or less to be on the road to semi-success.
Poor phrasing on my part;
I don't think you can say that there really is an audience for it when it drops 54%, not that it needs to match Mad Max to be on way to success (which it isn't). A 54% kind of is a disaster for Alcon since it means it probably won't leg very well.

kswiston

Previews were 12% of last weekend. So the drop was always going to be a bit higher. Under 55% is ok. Not great, but not bad either.

Man, Chadwick Boseman's historical biopics have been declining in gross even though the reviews have been good. $95 million for 42, to $22 for Get on Up, and now Marshall. Like, I don't even think there's a thread on Marshall.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Man, Chadwick Boseman's historical biopics have been declining in gross even though the reviews have been good. $95 million for 42, to $22 for Get on Up, and now Marshall. Like, I don't even think there's a thread on Marshall.

I saw the trailers and some commercials, looked like something I'd watch on video. Lazy Sunday rental. The social media stuff especially seemed phoned in with Boseman and Gad standing around in front of a white background.

kunonabi

I didnt know it even existed until I was buying tickets for the Foreigner. At this late stage ill probably have to catch it on home video.

It did at one point have a big fanbase, but then the producers ruined everything with poor scripts and constant retreads leading to depleting returns, as is usually the case with most franchises.

True, and that X:men Origins with it as well. I guess if the movie is good, people will see it lol, especially if the other entires were bad.

X-Men: First Class underperformed though, and made less then Origins and The Last Stand. It was actually affected by the reception of those films anyway.

Marshall was released in less theaters then both of those films, and it wasn't advertised as much either. It's not surprising.

Top Bottom