• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•06-08•17 - Ponies trampled by Runner, Mountain Between #1 & #2

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm gay, I think it's stupid reasoning. I'm all for diversity pushing within Hollywood (even if it is focused on POC rather than other minorities). But I wouldn't not go see an awesome film like Thor cos it doesn't have a gay character in ....
Honestly, as a (probably) gay woman, I’m more concerned about there being women in it, that don’t fit into an (overused) stereotype of some sort.

kunonabi

Would put it around $13 million+ most likely for the weekend. But the movie already grossed over $60 million in China and had a modest budget of only around $35 million so it will likely be fine.

I think i heard they were expecting 10 mil so that sounds like a good result.

Famassu

I'm gay, I think it's stupid reasoning. I'm all for diversity pushing within Hollywood (even if it is focused on POC rather than other minorities). But I wouldn't not go see an awesome film like Thor cos it doesn't have a gay character in ....
Gay but white? So you still belong to the white majority in that regards.

No one said anything about outright refusing to see a movie with no/lacking representation. Rather the opposite that they are more likely to go see movies that (positively) represent them.

Nothing stupid about it in an industry that usually ignores many minorities and vilifies/stereotypes them the rest of the time. Wanting to see and perhaps show your own children positive representation is perfectly reasonable.

I do not envy you in the coming weeks.

I hope you completed your training arc

It all depends on if I'm the main character. If not...
tumblr_ob7ml4YFnt1uuj1vto1_500.gif

cell-vs-vegeta.jpg

I don't think Thor is gonna have good legs, I think in that respect it will have some close to Doctor Strange's. It seems to be too damn vanilla.

Vanilla like Avengers 1.5 coming out on November 17?
Vanilla like a c tier Character that made damn near 700m WW? Please bruh

So I checked out BOM and was surprised to see that BV was number 2 for studio marketshare for 2017. Then the explanation was on the table, BV only released 5 movies in 2017, one of which was a DisneyNature documentary. Everyone else release at least 8, with Warner releasing 15 and Sony releasing 18. Even though Sony released the most movies in 2017, they don't even have 10% lol and the only reason they are ahead of Lionsgate is because of a movie they distributed that they had no creative input, thankfully and mercifully

Also, Lionsgate now has a bigger marketshare than Paramount. Should we say LG is a major and Para is a mini major? Or Big 7 as opposed to Big 6?

Penguin

So I checked out BOM and was surprised to see that BV was number 2 for studio marketshare for 2017. Then the explanation was on the table, BV only released 5 movies in 2017, one of which was a DisneyNature documentary. Everyone else release at least 8, with Warner releasing 15 and Sony releasing 18. Even though Sony released the most movies in 2017, they don't even have 10% lol and the only reason they are ahead of Lionsgate is because of a movie they distributed that they had no creative input, thankfully and mercifully

Also, Lionsgate now has a bigger marketshare than Paramount. Should we say LG is a major and Para is a mini major? Or Big 7 as opposed to Big 6?

It's actually one of the sadder aspects of Disney owning Star Wars/Marvel for me, they don't seem to care much for being risky with other releases and have pretty much narrowed their launches down to

Star Wars
2X MCU
Pixar
Animated film
live-action remake of animated movie

With maybe the odd movie here and there

Disney/Buena Vista is going to end the year at #1, though, since basically all it's going to take is Thor+Coco+TLJ making $200M more than JL+Geostorm+whatever the hell Father Figures is.

It's actually one of the sadder aspects of Disney owning Star Wars/Marvel for me, they don't seem to care much for being risky with other releases and have pretty much narrowed their launches down to

Star Wars
2X MCU
Pixar
Animated film

WB is the GOAT film distributor. Disney is just kid stuff mostly, its sad.

Miles X

Gay but white? So you still belong to the white majority in that regards.

No one said anything about outright refusing to see a movie with no/lacking representation. Rather the opposite that they are more likely to go see movies that (positively) represent them.

Nothing stupid about it in an industry that usually ignores many minorities and vilifies/stereotypes them the rest of the time. Wanting to see and perhaps show your own children positive representation is perfectly reasonable.

Lol wtf? stop acting like there is a heirachy within minorities and POC top it. I could say you're part of the 'straight' majority. Ridiculous.

And no that isn't the 'vibe' I got from him. It was "There are no latinos in this movie, why should I care". Fair if that's how he wants to play it, but it's stupid reasoning and you're gonna miss out on a lot of films with that outlook.

Star Wars
2X MCU
Pixar
Animated film

Last week or so Bob Iger said he's retiring/leaving Disney in 2019. Can't imagine anyone with money on the line is unhappy with their current plan, but it'll be interesting if whoever replaces him has different plans.

Last week or so Bob Iger said he's retiring/leaving Disney in 2019. Can't imagine anyone with money on the line is unhappy with their current plan, but it'll be interesting if whoever replaces him has different plans.
On a more serious line I'm more exited for the future of Disney now than back in 2015. I mean star wars goes on hiatus in 2019, and marvel's 11 year story will be over. Thats a fresh start to completely shake up the Disney status quo.

Lol wtf? stop acting like there is a heirachy within minorities and POC top it. I could say you're part of the 'straight' majority. Ridiculous.

And no that isn't the 'vibe' I got from him. It was "There are no latinos in this movie, why should I care". Fair if that's how he wants to play it, but it's stupid reasoning and you're gonna miss out on a lot of films with that outlook.

So what lessons do you think Marvel will learn if Black Panther is the highest grossing superhero movie?

berzeli

Banned
Sony always releases a lot of films, and a lot of them are really small ones like Abracadabra which made a whopping $3,470. Don't stare yourself blind on that particular number, of all the things (and there are plenty) to fault Sony for this isn't one of them.
(And this isn't even including SPC which also releases smaller films)
Lionsgate made more money than Paramount and Fox in both 2012 and 2013 so it's not unprecedented, they're still just a mini-major.
Paramount is hardly even a studio at all this year.

berzeli

Banned
Look to Girls Trip, I am telling you the takes will be hot "Black people watch movies? Who knew?"
Look at Hidden Figures.
Look at those weird ass similar Screen Gems house invader films.
Look at the goddamn Madea franchise. Or more accurately, Look there's a fucking goddamn Madea franchise.

Not only does there exist an audience, that audience also turns out (unless you're George Lucas, lol).
But no, let's spend $150 million on trying to get the nerds who torrent films, jack of to cyperpunk hentai, and find us a white person to lead the picture!

I'm actually really, really glad BR:2049 exists and that Villeneuve gets to direct films of that calibre, but it and GitS hitting in the same year... come on.

BvS had a 1.99X opening weekend domestic multiplier. It is lucky its opening weekend was so massive. It still made money, but the legs were shit tier.

Meanwhile, Doctor Strange had a 2.74x opening weekend domestic multiplier. If BvS had legs like that, it would have grossed almost $125m more domestic.

So yeah, having Doctor Strange legs would be better than BvS.

Ahasverus lets his Geoff Johns love blind him, I gotta save him with the truth.
xPdsqj2.png

I have a love/hate thing with Johns.

#ThorOneBillion
#DeletetheDCEU

xPdsqj2.png
#RuffaloBump

Black Panther will make Ant-Man money, book it folks.

Black Panther will be more domestic skewed than other MCU stuff, but it will outgross Ant-Man. Movie gonna make mad bank in the US.

Black Panther vs. Deadpool domestic gross. Go.
Gonna be close. Thinking opening weekend for BP comes up less than DP, but final domestic will be damn close.

I'd bank on Black Panther hitting a bil before I'd bank on Justice League hitting a bil, post-BvS

If Justice League does break a billion, it will barely do it.
Either way, it won't pass Avengers, and DeathyBoy must bear his punishment for it.

My second most anticipated thing about Black Panther (besides the film itself) is seeing all the racists melt down at its awesomeness. And then the articles that ensue.
Deadpool is R, BP isn't. That's going to be a huge factor.

Deadpool kinda threw the whole "R ratings hurt a film's gross" argument out the window. IT did as well.

Slayven

Look at Hidden Figures.
Look at those weird ass similar Screen Gems house invader films.
Look at the goddamn Madea franchise. Or more accurately, Look there's a fucking goddamn Madea franchise.

Not only does there exist an audience, that audience also turns out (unless you're George Lucas, lol).
But no, let's spend $150 million on trying to get the nerds who torrent films, jack of to cyperpunk hentai, and find us a white person to lead the picture!

Red Tails is one of those "It's the thought that counts" films. George we know you are down.

The nerds going to see anyway because it's a marvel movie

Shaanyboi

Banned
My second most anticipated thing about Black Panther (besides the film itself) is seeing all the racists melt down at its awesomeness. And then the articles that ensue.

Deadpool kinda threw the whole "R ratings hurt a film's gross" argument out the window. IT did as well.

Are we talking about Deadpool 2? Because I don't see that hitting quite as high as the original. The first was fresh, but some might've felt the sense of humor wasn't for them.

BP is going to have the boost of being the first black-lead MCU film, while also the marketing power of being able to reach kids. That said, I wouldn't be surprised at the racists who outright boycott it.

Deadpool is R, BP isn't. That's going to be a huge factor.

Deadpool made more money domestically than any Marvel solo movie that wasn't a sequel (if you count Avengers as the pseudo-sequel that it is). Only one Marvel movie that didn't feature Iron Man has made more money than it.

Are we talking about Deadpool 2? Because I don't see that hitting quite as high as the original. The first was fresh, but some might've felt the sense of humor wasn't for them.

BP is going to have the boost of being the first black-lead MCU film, while also the marketing power of being able to reach kids. That said, I wouldn't be surprised at the racists who outright boycott it.

I'm talking Deadpool 1 vs. Black Panther, given they occupy basically the same spot on the release calendar. Though Deadpool 2 vs. BP is also an interesting question.

Slayven

The put BP up against Giant Robots, and the giant robots blinked!

"We are canceling the apocalypse.....what T'Challa coming? RUN!!"

Top Bottom