• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

I think that 400m figure comes from an earlier article which said that's the amount required for it to be worthwhile (or some other such vague benchmark) with no discussion of break even.

tauroxd

This should be stressed: Although I posted the $158 figure, I was under no illusions that 2049 was anywhere close to breaking even.

According to this Forbes article, the film would need to make "around $400m worldwide to merely even think about breaking even/making money down the line," so that's not going to happen.

Like it has been said here, at leas it existed but I really, really wanted a sequel :( with the whole crew intact, though. Dennis. Roger, Hampton Fancher Michael Green, Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch... but oh well :( I can see 2049 infinite times.

I think that 400m figure comes from an earlier article which said that's the amount required for it to be worthwhile (or some other such vague benchmark) with no discussion of break even.

Well, let's say it is 350 or 300 millions to break even, it won't do that either :(

Everyone better buy the Blu Ray.

I will sure do.

HariKari

Like it has been said here, at leas it existed but I really, really wanted a sequel :( with the whole crew intact, though. Dennis. Roger, Hampton Fancher Michael Green, Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch... but oh well :( I can see 2049 infinite times.

Mostly sad for Alcon, who had backed Denis previously and helped pay for this $150m art piece. Denis proved he can handle a big budget and deliver something special. I think he'll be on to greater things. Alcon might be toast.

Break even is probably 2x the budget or thereabouts, not counting blu ray sales. It won't be a complete bloodbath but I doubt they make a net dime.

Wow, did not expect to spark that much conversation. This thread title was originally about why it's a box office disaster and I, as someone who initially wanted to see that movie and then after reading thinkpieces, decided not to help box office sales, posted why I personally have no desire now to support it.

Still not going see it. I'm sure it's beautifully shot, and it would have been prettier in theaters, but I'm voting with my wallet.

After reading some of the posts here, I'm still unconvinced that what I've heard initially regarding a critical view of the movie is wrong. Even the article I've read defending the movie re: feminism isn't actually doing it for me. I mean, the whole giving birth thing is just so weird, especially since women today are socially penalized for choosing not to have kids. As for the Oriental thing, yeah that's just my opinion about the erasure and marginalization of Asian representation in Hollywood media.

I'm sure you mean well, but man... seems like such an odd hill to die on.

jett

D-Member
Whoops, that's a very good point and a huge oversight on my part. So for the studios to cover just the production costs, it would have to gross in excess of something like $300 million?

400M is the figure some insiders put it at.

The box office intake for this movie is split. Alcon and Sony each put 90M (before tax rebates) on the movie. Alcon gets the domestic box office (with WB taking a share for distributing), and Sony gets the international gross. Alcon also reportedly spent like 100M+ on advertising.

Alcon is probably totally screwed. Sony might be less screwed.

tauroxd

Mostly sad for Alcon, who had backed Denis previously and helped pay for this $150m art piece. Denis proved he can handle a big budget and deliver something special. I think he'll be on to greater things. Alcon might be toast.

Break even is probably 2x the budget or thereabouts, not counting blu ray sales. It won't be a complete bloodbath but I doubt they make a net dime.

Oh, I read here thay they were basically betting all on this movie :(

What it remains to be seen is if Legendary gives Dennis the money for Dune.

Wow, did not expect to spark that much conversation. This thread title was originally about why it's a box office disaster and I, as someone who initially wanted to see that movie and then after reading thinkpieces, decided not to help box office sales, posted why I personally have no desire now to support it.

Still not going see it. I'm sure it's beautifully shot, and it would have been prettier in theaters, but I'm voting with my wallet.

After reading some of the posts here, I'm still unconvinced that what I've heard initially regarding a critical view of the movie is wrong. Even the article I've read defending the movie re: feminism isn't actually doing it for me. I mean, the whole giving birth thing is just so weird, especially since women today are socially penalized for choosing not to have kids. As for the Oriental thing, yeah that's just my opinion about the erasure and marginalization of Asian representation in Hollywood media.
The movie doesn't frame it as pregnancy making you a real person, the movie puts forward the idea that being born makes you human, as it's the only notable difference between humans and replicants. The mother isn't important. It's the child. And it all frames it in a way that the idea that being born makes you more human is a foolish notion. The movie argues the exact opposite of what a few people are blaming it for.

Ashhong

This might be the first 4k disc I ever buy. It better have an amazing steelbook. I can't wait to frame my theater poster of this soon!

berzeli

Banned
the prevalence of regional tax credits softens the blow a bit
The $150 mil figure is with the tax credits.
According to this Forbes article, the film would need to make "around $400m worldwide to merely even think about breaking even/making money down the line," so that's not going to happen.
please, for my sanity. Never link Mendelson articles, the man is a hack.
Break even is near $400 million WW when you take P&A into account. But it is slightly more complicated since it is a co-pro between Sony & Alcon, and how revenue is distributed between the two.
400M is the figure some insiders put it at.

The box office intake for this movie is split. Alcon and Sony each put 90M (before tax rebates) on the movie. Alcon gets the domestic box office (with WB taking a share for distributing), and Sony gets the international gross. Alcon also reportedly spent like 100M+ on advertising.

Alcon is probably totally screwed. Sony might be less screwed.
This is basically where I'm at.

The film is actually doing okayish internationally and Sony is first in line on ancillary revenue, so they're in a much better position than Alcon.

I'm really happy that we got this movie, but it's so fucking sad that this didn't end up being the success these types of movies needed, so that we'd be getting even more of them. Instead, they're expecting me to add 10 years worth of marvel/dc/star wars movies to my calendar. Really, really sad.

Peff

Speaking of the Blu Ray, I really really hope that we end up get new artwork for the cover that looks a bit more Drew Struzan-y. I can't stand the ridiculously obvious, in-your-face teal & orange contrast of the theatrical poster.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Discussion is no longer about it's box office, and we're on week 2. To discuss the box office performance, use this weekend's box office thread. To discuss what you thought of the film, use the OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom