• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•06-08•17 - Ponies trampled by Runner, Mountain Between #1 & #2

Pharaun

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Thor will track remarkably close to Deadpool, $130 million opening and $360 million total.

That synopsis sounds pretty fun, actually.

Not 300MM fun. Sounds like a fun flick you watch when you got nothing else to do and the movie just happens to be playing when you turn the channel.

China is the weirdest market to predict. Watch as Hulk Ragnarok makes 35MM, JL makes 45MM and TLJ makes 30MM in China or some shit like that.

kurahador

Ruffalo. Bump.

giphy.gif

berzeli

Banned
So it looks like Blade Runner is heading for a 55+% dip in the second weekend, which isn't great.

Deadline has this on the film's international prospects:
Sony is hoping that Japan and China deliver greatly to push their foreign end to a profit after their net $90M investment. In the more mature markets where moviegoers remember the original Blade Runner, read Italy, Germany and the United Kingdom, there’s a rich ancillary in the studio’s Pan BSkyB TV deal. Ditto for Japan as well. The Culver City studio is first in the waterfall in regards to the pic’s revenue stream, will receive a share of global revenues and is collecting a distribution fee on overseas ticket sales.
Now I'm very hesitant to say that Sony was business savvy to get the international rights, since it feels more like they lucked out with Alcon working so closely with Warner in the US and Alcon bearing the financial burden of P&A in the US. But Sony might end up relatively unscathed.

Not 300MM fun. Sounds like a fun flick you watch when you got nothing else to do and the movie just happens to be playing when you turn the channel.

China is the weirdest market to predict. Watch as Hulk Ragnarok makes 35MM, JL makes 45MM and TLJ makes 30MM in China or some shit like that.

It's not uncommon, actually. A movie like this made in France with popular local actors could easily do twice as much as an Avengers film, it happens pretty frequently. Untouchables ended up doing literally 10 times more business than your average superhero film. As universal as Hollywood movies are most of the time, they can't quite compete with films specifically crafted for the sensibilities of a particular market. Unless we're talking about James Cameron of course.

berzeli

Banned
It's not uncommon, actually. A movie like this made in France with popular local actors could easily do twice as much as an Avengers film, it happens pretty frequently. Untouchables ended up doing literally 10 times more business than your average superhero film. As universal as Hollywood movies are most of the time, they can't quite compete with films specifically crafted for the sensibilities of a particular market. Unless we're talking about James Cameron of course.
Intouchables made so much money, and not just in France. That film just raked it in everywhere, with one exception. Aka, why we make fun of Americans. It has my favourite ratio of all time:
1RZrEPR.png

And it didn't do poorly in the US (29th most successful "foreign" language film), but man. It made more money in the Netherlands than in the US (also in Japan, and South Korea), Americans just really hate subtitles.

Intouchables made so much money, and not just in France. That film just raked it in everywhere, with one exception. Aka, why we make fun of Americans. It has my favourite ratio of all time:
1RZrEPR.png

And it didn't do poorly in the US (29th most successful "foreign" language film), but man. It made more money in the Netherlands than in the US (also in Japan, and South Korea), Americans just really hate subtitles.

To be fair, it only released in 194 theaters in the US. $10m is a pretty solid number for so narrow a release.

1RZrEPR.png

Was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon dubbed in America? I remember that movie doing quite well back then.

berzeli

Banned
Was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon dubbed in America? I remember that movie doing quite well back then.
The single most successful and only "foreign" language film to make over $100 million!
It did more than twice of the second most successful one.
To be fair, it only released in 194 theaters in the US. $10m is a pretty solid number for so narrow a release.
I'm being fair, I did say it didn't do poorly for the US for a film not in the English language. But like seriously Americans hate subtitles, sure I'm being snarky about it, but it is an actual phenomenon.

Ridley327

Shockingly, no, though there was a dub created for it on home release to satiate Blockbuster and their asinine needs. That's a big reason why it was so incredible that it did as well as it did.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The single most successful and only "foreign" language film to make over $100 million!
It did more than twice of the second most successful one.

I'm being fair, I did say it didn't do poorly for the US for a film not in the English language. But like seriously Americans hate subtitles, sure I'm being snarky about it, but it is an actual phenomenon.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but that's absolute twaddle.

berzeli

Banned
I'm not sure if you're serious, but that's absolute twaddle.
The Lonely Subtitle: Here’s Why U.S. Audiences Are Abandoning Foreign-Language Films
Last month, Variety chief film critic Scott Foundas wrote an article that should be heartwarming for anyone heading to the Cannes Film Festival: “U.S. Audiences Are More Comfortable With Subtitles Than Ever.”

Unfortunately, it’s not true: U.S. box office for the top five foreign-language films has declined by 61% in the last seven years.
(And that article was a tad optimistic with its speculation on subtitled TV since it hasn't really come to pass)
Which foreign films made a mark in the US in 2016?
Foreign-language films have it tough at the US box office. And some have it tougher than others. Commercially oriented films aimed at specific ethnic groups have an expanding potential audience — the US Asian population grew by 3.4% to 21 million between 2014 and 2015, and the Hispanic population by 2.2% to 56.6 million — and they dominate the upper reaches of this year’s foreign-language chart.
The Foreign Language Film Crisis: Are Subtitled Movies Fading on U.S. Screens?
The U.S. box office for foreign-language films has declined precipitously in the last several years. And with cable and VOD outlets not particularly hospitable to subtitled movies either, where is the next Bergman, Godard, or Almodóvar to go? This panel examines the current state of foreign films on U.S. screens.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm wondering how Coco will do. Hope it isn't another Good Dinosaur, 'member that one?

I'm wondering how Coco will do. Hope it isn't another Good Dinosaur, 'member that one?

We already got Cars 3 this year, so hopefully that will balance things out. Like how The Good Dinosaur was released a few months after Inside Out. :v

Also, as far as we know, Coco's production has been relatively smooth, unlike The Good Dinosaur. The Good Dinosaur had the original directors replaced and the original story overhauled, and caused delays (it's release was pushed back from summer 2014 to holiday 2015) that resulted in staff layoffs at Pixar.

For comparison's sake, Lee Unkrich (who directed Toy Story 3) has been on Coco since its inception. The worst thing that has happened was Disney trying to trademark the term "Día de los Muertos" --the then-current name of the film-- only to back off from the attempt and change the film's name to Coco due to the resulting (and obvious) backlash.

kswiston

Friday Studio Numbers

1) Happy Death Day - $11.6M
2) The Foreigner - $4.8M
3) Blade Runner 2049 - $4.3M - $50M total
4) IT - $2.0M - $311M total
5) The Mountain Between Us - $1.7M - $17M total

Ridley327

So happy death day is going to make close to Blade Runner? What the actual fuck

It's a mass-market horror film with a strong high concept and good advertising, releasing in an October that's not offering much competition thus far for a film like that. It would be shocking if it didn't do well right out the gate.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
We already got Cars 3 this year, so hopefully that will balance things out. Like how The Good Dinosaur was released a few months after Inside Out. :v

Also, as far as we know, Coco's production has been relatively smooth, unlike The Good Dinosaur. The Good Dinosaur had the original directors replaced and the original story overhauled, and caused delays (it's release was pushed back from summer 2014 to holiday 2015) that resulted in staff layoffs at Pixar.

For comparison's sake, Lee Unkrich (who directed Toy Story 3) has been on Coco since its inception. The worst thing that has happened was Disney trying to trademark the term "Día de los Muertos" --the then-current name of the film-- only to back off from the attempt and change the film's name to Coco due to the resulting (and obvious) backlash.

I completely forgot Cars 3 came out this year, as most people did. I'm ready to see a good animated film to close out the year. Lego Batman was fun, but I need some of that Pixar magic.

So happy death day is going to make close to Blade Runner? What the actual fuck

And Happy Death Day probably got made for less than Ford's paycheck for Blade Runner lol.

EDIT: Doesn't the new Saw come out next week? Haven't heard anyone talking about that one at all.

Ridley327

I completely forgot Cars 3 came out this year, as most people did. I'm ready to see a good animated film to close out the year. Lego Batman was fun, but I need some of that Pixar magic.

And Happy Death Day probably got made for less than Ford's paycheck for Blade Runner lol.

EDIT: Doesn't the new Saw come out next week? Haven't heard anyone talking about that one at all.

Week after, I think. If they're following the usual marketing pattern for the films again, expect ads to start running relentlessly next week until the film is released.

GhaleonEB

My wife and I saw The Mountain Between Us last night. Solid middle-aged romance. Good chemistry with the leads, though the plot is schmaltz on autopilot. I hadn't seen Kate Winslet's boobs since Titanic.

For some reason a pack of teenagers showed up right before it started, and they had no interest in the film. They talked, leaned over each other, all six had cell phones out. It was like the film never started. After 15 minutes the older woman sitting in front of them said, very loudly, "You need to leave the theater. I didn't pay all this money to listen to you kids make a racket." She had turned around and was staring the worst offender dead in the face.

Miraculously, they shut up for the rest of the film. That woman is now a personal hero of mine. I was a minute or two from being much less smooth about telling them to shut the fuck up.

kswiston

I thought $60M total for Blade Runner by Sunday after seeing the Tuesday number. If it misses that, it probably won't be by much.

$80-90M total is looking likely.

Famassu

Do you really base your movie going experience on that?

I'm not gonna miss Thor cos it doesn't have a gay character ....

Unless Bucky n Cap make a cameo
If you're white and/or staight, it's easy for you to say when you get 99,99% of the representation in movies anyways. For POC, gays & such having representation in movies absolutely can matter (not for everyone, but it can make it likelier that some people go see movies if they represent their demographic) and can push people to watch movies they might not otherwise be as inclined to spend money on, especially if it's positive representation and no the usual muslims are terrorists, black people are drug dealers & gays are girlzzzz-best-friends-who-give-them-fashion-advice.

My wife and I saw The Mountain Between Us last night. Solid middle-aged romance. Good chemistry with the leads, though the plot is schmaltz on autopilot. I hadn't seen Kate Winslet's boobs since Titanic.

You almost had me using my MoviePass to go see this with that quote (kidding, I've still never seen all of The Reader or Little Children or any of Mildred Pierce or Iris). Anyway, she swore off full nudity after Mildred, so I guess what she does in this movie is the closest we'll get for now.

kunonabi

Is 4.8 good for The Foreigner? My showing on Thursday was sold out and everyone seemed pleased with it so i was hoping that would translate to a solid weekend.

Penguin

Do you really base your movie going experience on that?

I'm not gonna miss Thor cos it doesn't have a gay character ....

Unless Bucky n Cap make a cameo

Think you're thinking of it in reverse

Not that folks won't go see a movie if they aren't represented, but people are more motivated to go see a movie if they are represented.

Is 4.8 good for The Foreigner? My showing on Thursday was sold out and everyone seemed pleased with it so i was hoping that would translate to a solid weekend.

Would put it around $13 million+ most likely for the weekend. But the movie already grossed over $60 million in China and had a modest budget of only around $35 million so it will likely be fine.

Miles X

If you're white and/or staight, it's easy for you to say when you get 99,99% of the representation in movies anyways. For POC, gays & such having representation in movies absolutely can matter (not for everyone, but it can make it likelier that some people go see movies if they represent their demographic) and can push people to watch movies they might not otherwise be as inclined to spend money on, especially if it's positive representation and no the usual muslims are terrorists, black people are drug dealers & gays are girlzzzz-best-friends-who-give-them-fashion-advice.

I'm gay, I think it's stupid reasoning. I'm all for diversity pushing within Hollywood (even if it is focused on POC rather than other minorities). But I wouldn't not go see an awesome film like Thor cos it doesn't have a gay character in ....

Ahasverus

I don't think Thor is gonna have good legs, I think in that respect it will have some close to Doctor Strange's. It seems to be too damn vanilla.

Top Bottom