• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad's box office business plunges just like Batman v Superman's did

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

It's a shame people listen to critics so much, one of the best CBMs in years despite its problems.
Please stop with this "if only people wouldn't listen to critics" bullshit. People have seen the movie and don't agree with you that it's great.

It's a shame people listen to critics so much, one of the best CBMs in years despite its problems.

When SS was getting good weekday numbers: "Haha, people don't give a shit about critics, people like what they like!"

After this 67% drop is revealed: "Why do people listen to critics so much!"

It isn't, Croc isn't Croc and his entire character in this is a string of bad stereotypical dialogue and terrible jokes.

Edit: Also why the fuck does Ostrander like this? They butchered Rick, turned him into the character you would expect he would be if you never read his run.
So you counter stereotypes with stereotypes about being "black"? It's a fucking stupid post.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
No Paul Dini and Dan Riba.

Getting Paul Dini (and the other minds behind the DCAU like Dan Riba, Bruce Timm, etc.) to be the Kevin Feige of the DCCU would make too much sense. There's just so much that the DCAU did for DC comics itself (Harley Quinn, Freeze's origin, etc.), that it's a wonder what could have been had those minds behind it had been involved.

They should just go even further than that, reboot the whole thing, and get Mark Hamill to play Joker. Why not at this point? Kevin Conroy could even be the voice amplifier for Batman. =P

Sou Da

So you counter stereotypes with stereotypes about being "black"? It's a fucking stupid post.
I'm not countering stereotypes with sterotypes. I'm saying that Croc is a terrible sterotype and Deadshot isn't, I added some hyperbole about needing him.

What's up with you?

I'm not countering stereotypes with sterotypes. I'm saying that Croc is a terrible sterotype and Deadshot isn't, I added some hyperbole about needing him.

What's up with you?
I mean you're right, Deadshot is no worse a stereotype when he talks about beating women and calling them hoes. /S

Sou Da

I mean you're right, Deadshot is no worse a stereotype when he talks about beating women and calling them hoes. /S
He's a terrible person. Or he's supposed to be, he gets angry and calls them a hoe which is something people still say nowadays.

Will played it all well, my gripes with him are all in his "arc". There's nothing on the level of "You just completed this suicide mission and can have anything you want, what is it?"

"BET"

"Shot of Croc watching some ass shaking"

BadAss2961

It isn't, Croc isn't Croc and his entire character in this is a string of bad stereotypical dialogue and terrible jokes.

Edit: Also why the fuck does Ostrander like this? They butchered Rick, turned him into the character you would expect he would be if you never read his run.
Croc is Croc, just with added humor to go with the flow of the movie. A+ look too, insane prosthetics.

Kibbles

A 67% drop isn't due to people "listening to critics", it's due to people seeing the movie and telling their friends "this movie is fucking trash."
Or people who listen to critics telling their friends they heard it was bad, happens all the time. Took 6 friends and they all liked it, theater cheered.

Best DC movie since TDK and better than most Marvel films besides Civil War

Fury451

Banned

It's definitely a disappointing film, but I didn't hate the movie, I'm surprised by some people who truly did, but I think the huge box office of opening weekend shows that people didn't listen to critics.

The box office drop the second weekend shows that people decided they didn't like it and don't recommend it to others.

jmood88

Or people who listen to critics telling their friends they heard it was bad, happens all the time. Took 6 friends and they all liked it, theater cheered.

You can say that as many times as you want, it won't make anyone agree with you.

Sou Da

Croc is Croc, just with added humor to go with the flow of the movie. A+ look too, insane prosthetics.
No he isn't. Hell there's barely enough of him to tell, he's like Arkham tier bad if you can somehow surmise a character from this.

Somewhat agree on the prosthetics, he looked very stiff. Especially when he spoke.

He's a terrible person. Or he's supposed to be, he gets angry and calls them a hoe which is something people still say nowadays.

Will played it all well, my gripes with him are all in his "arc". There's nothing on the level of "You just completed this suicide mission and can have anything you want, what is it?"

"BET"

So you have one character that reinforces a negative stereotype and one that reinforces a harmless stereotype and apparently the one that reinforces a negative stereotype is an example of "being black"? I don't really care about either of those things on their own but the fact that Deadshot is supposed to be what being black is like is stupid. I'm not angry at you i just think it's a really stupid point of view. Especially compared to some fairly harmless stereotypes no matter how stupid those are.

Reviews don't actually affect anything. People will see a movie if they're interested in its premise, reviews or not. Doubly so if a summer blockbuster. Marketing has waaaaaaaaay more swaying power than RottenTomatoes.

But reviews is typically a good indicator of word-of-mouth. If you're getting 27% on RT odds are you're not having a hot second weekend drop.

Finally saw it, below average cbm in my eyes (so like 5/10, TIH, Thor 2 level, but not broken like F4). My theater was about a 1/4th full for a 8pm sat showing.

Still amazes me how some posters are keeping their crusade strong for the better part of the year now.

Sou Da

So you have one character that reinforces a negative stereotype and one that reinforces a harmless stereotype and apparently the one that reinforces a negative stereotype is an example of "being black"? I don't really care about either of those things on their own but the fact that Deadshot is supposed to be what being black is like is stupid. I'm not angry at you i just think it's a really stupid point of view. Especially compared to some fairly harmless stereotypes no matter how stupid those are.
I never said that Deadshot character is what being black is supposed to be. I'm saying he that isn't a stereotype, just a bad person. I'm saying that Croc isn't a person just a stereotype.

You're really putting words in my mouth.

mjc

Reviews don't actually affect anything. People will see a movie if they're interested in its premise, reviews or not. Doubly so if a summer blockbuster. Marketing has waaaaaaaaay more swaying power than RottenTomatoes.

But reviews is typically a good indicator of word-of-mouth. If you're getting 27% on RT odds are you're not having a hot second weekend drop.

I think the average movie goer is getting savvier regarding the flicks they see.

But then again, ST Beyond flopped when it shouldn't have. So fuck the average moviegoer.

I think the average movie goer is getting savvier regarding the flicks they see.

But then again, ST Beyond flopped when it shouldn't have. So fuck the average moviegoer.

I think it's just social media making word-of-mouth ten times easier to spread across general audiences. People will see the movie, think it's shit, maybe tweet it or tell their friends, and a hundred more people know to stay away.

It explains these super-frontloaded movies followed by tremendous drops.

BadAss2961

No he isn't. Hell there's barely enough of him to tell, he's like Arkham tier bad if you can somehow surmise a character from this.

Somewhat agree on the prosthetics, he looked very stiff. Especially when he spoke.
Everything in the movie falls in line with his origin, likeness, and abilities.

nkPVmGm.gif

I'd rather listen to critics than believing this nonsense after MOS and BVS. Not giving WB any more money for tedious movies, if more people would do this, then WB would eventually rethink their strategy and we would get a decent DCEU.

I never said that Deadshot character is what being black is supposed to be. I'm saying he that isn't a stereotype, just a bad person. I'm saying that Croc isn't a person just a stereotype.

You're really putting words in my mouth.
I wouldn't say hes not a stereotype either. But I apologize, the way you worded your first post makes it really come off that way.

BadAss2961

The most superficial parts of him.
Well he's not exactly complex. Plus this an ensemble film where he's not going to get much of the focus. Even in a Batman solo, he'd always have a side role.

I expected a faithful, surface-level introduction to the character, and I got that. He would've really been a different person if say, Nolan directed him in the trilogy.

"BET"

That scene was extremely weird. 106 and Park was the last BET series that still had music videos, kid friendly music videos at that, and that ended when I was in college. Uncut ended when I was in Middle School. I'm damn near 30 now and somehow Croc asked for BET to see white ass? Was it supposed to be set a decade ago?

Sou Da

Well he's not exactly complex. Plus this an ensemble film where he's not going to get much of the focus. Even in a Batman solo, he'd always have a side role.

I expected a faithful, surface-level introduction to the character, and I got that. He would've really been a different person if say, Nolan directed him in the trilogy.
I'm not sure I entirely believe the Nolan bit, he'd probably just not lean on his newer more monster like depictions.

Rick Flag wasn't Rick Flag either.

kswiston

Reviews matter. Just not so much for franchise blockbusters.

Adult skewing dramas and original properties depend on reviews more (unless said film is in the horror genre. Those are allowed to get super shitty reviews).

Biske

Just saw it. Was actually pretty good. Comic book movies are a low bar really lets face it. It sits appropriately with the marvel movies, not any worse, not any better.

Can definitely see the studio fuckery though. Would be interesting to see the "original" version of this movie.

Batman redeemed himself remember.
When he found out his mother had the same name as another's and then he went on a killing rampage to free said mother. But decided to let Luthor live who almost destroyed the Earth.

I guess Batman likes psychotic people.

yeah but wouldnt he still want to put criminals away, i mean

that's the core of batman, right? crime fighter batsie?

im not asking why batman doesnt kill the joker. im wondering why he doesnt put him back into arkham asylum, cuz even in the real world, the assumptions is that you dont just get a jail free card if an inmate or a mental hospital patient broke out of jail or sanatorium, right?

Because Batman has a fetish for psychotic people

... Are you arguing that no one should take batman seriously now because he just has fetish for psychotic people so he won't put them away?

* scratches head *

???

Okay, I guess!

That scene was extremely weird. 106 and Park was the last BET series that still had music videos, kid friendly music videos at that, and that ended when I was in college. Uncut ended when I was in Middle School. I'm damn near 30 now and somehow Croc asked for BET to see white ass? Was it supposed to be set a decade ago?

I don't get the bet joke. Is BET no longer around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom