• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad's box office business plunges just like Batman v Superman's did

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one narrow way to look at it.

The other way to look at it is SS squad started out 30 millions ahead of GotG. A week later, it's 50 millions ahead. It will likely hit the 300 million domestic box office much earlier than GotG did.

But at GAF, that's a failure, of course.

Not to be a pedant, but it opened $39m higher than Guardians and the gap has increased to $46m now. That's a difference of $7m rather than the $20m you claim.

But as that link shows, the gap in dailies is shrinking and as of the Sunday estimates, Guardians is earning more per day. I expect a few flip flops, but by this time next week, there will likely not be a single day where SS outgrosses Guardians. It's dropping significantly faster. You're looking at totals after 10 days, ignoring the trend, and declaring that the trajectory is the same. That's narrow. Suicide Squad's first Friday was $27m higher than Guardians, nearly double. Its second Friday was just $1m higher. There is no reality where that is the same or even similar trajectory.

SS will not hit $300m earlier than Guardians did. It's not quite guaranteed to hit $300m at all at this rate. I'm guessing $295-305m total.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
They were lame and corny, not much more to it than that. JL is also a major visual downgrade from BvS, the change in cinematographers is super apparent.

So standard comic book movie fare. At best, they are cutesy, at worst, lame and corny. For myself, I thought the "more more or more less" bit between Bats and Wondy was in the "cutesy" camp, like the Shamballa wi-fi joke in the Doc Strange trailer. Agreed so far on the look of JL--let's see if a proper trailer will remedy that to an extent.

LOCK

While not the best movie, it wasn't horrible. Yeah it may have dropped a little more than normal due to wom but I really doubt that. I think this is more an inflection about fan culture and saturation of the market. The movie business is becoming very hit based. This year especially. And movies are becoming far less leggy. The biggest movie of the year, Civil War, for all intents and purposes should have been a 500+ grosser but it's just over 400.

I think we will continue to see this trend with comic book movies and movies in general.

Astral Dog

im not liking the DCEU characters.

Baffleck is dumb, bullyish , brutish and kinda evil, even that Harley Quinn kiss looked a bit wrong.

Jared Joker is not threatening enough,he was more like Harley boyfriend sidesick and a typical mobster, not the monster clown psychopath Joker is supposed to be.

Robbie Harley has the looks booked,, but she comes across as too sympathetic instead of a villain, her relationship with the Joker is not explored at all specially the darker parts some of her lines sound lame and nobody stops mentioning how she is a crazy hot girl.or the camera stops looking at her panties, i thought that was too much even compared to the comics.

Henry Superman is..Henry Superman, but he is looking less worse in comparison to the other characters.

Jesse Luthor is a clown wannabe,comes across as pompous, at least he is smart enough to put Superman and Batman against each other.

Flash always looks ridiculous when he appears

Amanda Waller was good, everyone else need more time.

I was not feeling that JL teaser but I'm holding judgement until they've had more filming and get out a proper trailer

If you were not feeling the teaser, then you wont feel the film. Its pretty obvious what you saw if what your going to get, amped up to 11.

tomtom94

If you were not feeling the teaser, then you wont feel the film. Its pretty obvious what you saw if what your going to get, amped up to 11.

The Justice League trailer looked like it was made by people who knew why Batman v Superman was disliked but weren't quite sure what to do in response.

Kind of like if the Thermians from Galaxy Quest tried to direct a comedy movie.

The Justice League trailer looked like it was made by people who knew why Batman v Superman was disliked but weren't quite sure what to do in response.

I didn't think it was bad, but I suspect a lot of time was spent on on-set script rewrites to add one-liners and quips.

Looks like actuals came in a bit lower than estimates:

1 (1) Suicide Squad Warner Bros. $43,536,013 -67% 4,255 $10,232 $222,640,741 10

Nobody seems to keep in mind the film wasn't halfway finished filming when they showed the trailer.

Most of the criticism for the JL trailer has been sort of asinine. I mean, I saw people complain about Cyborg's CGI, saying it was bad and it baffles me. Most people on this forum are gamers, and they understand early trailers for games don't have the graphics finalized. They all but forget this when they see early movie trailers.

Then people say Ben's jokes were bad... when they are very similar to what he would say in the comics. I dunno... the teaser was just fine.

This is going to be a long year.

Reivaxe

Meh, recently saw this and I'm not surprised.

This movie was between "meh" and "shit".

I guess I'll try to explain my reasoning but I don't wanna appear to be flaming or trying to start something.

1- Characters. Wow ... the only stand outs were Waller/ Quinn/ Deadshot IMO. The Joker was barely in there and his actor seemed directionless. I don't feel like I ever got a sense of his joker's "Hook". He was just kinda all "OHhhh, I'm so creepy and crime bossy! I want my woman back :O". And that's just "character". I feel like they fucked up HQ's back story a lot by making her and the Joker have a nasty-yet-2-way relationship instead of it being the abusive, toxic relationship it's known for. Also didn't like it he fried her brain to make her "full crazy" I guess. I don't like much of what they did to her story which is strange cause I DO like her the most of anyone in the film as a charaacter ... :/

2- Action. The action was so boring and badly edited (just as badly edited as the rest of the film I guess) that I can't look at any stand out part and think it really counts as anything. Felt like they didn't really have any action scenes. Felt like I was watching a FPS CoD clone cut scene with all the Deadshot Shooting which looked boring AF cause unlike the Matrix or Wanted he was NOT making interesting trick shots or doing fancy flips.

3- Story. There was no plot IMO. It was like "I'm Waller, I wanna make this team! After I make the team one member poofs away and starts some shit so now we have to use the rest of the team to fix this problem I allowed to happen ... because I trusted the power of this dude's dick and this woman's will power? IDK ... wondering why Batz or WW aint doing shit about this. Here's some faceless monsters to kill >_>"

But hey, that's just my opinion man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom