• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner Black Out 2022 (short anime by Shinichiro Watanabe) is out

Mr. Hyde

Every time I cancel VRV, I end up renewing it. October is coming and shudder is part of the normal 9.99 package, so oh well! Time to watch Blade Runner.

Korigama

Watched it, pretty interesting. Had no idea that the character designer and animation director working with Watanabe was Shukou Murase (Gundam Wing, FFIX, and SFII anime movie character designer, Witch Hunter Robin and Ergo Proxy director), who also worked with him for storyboarding and key animation on Samurai Champloo (was an episode director and responsible for the ED as well).

Damn, Blade Runner works so well as a 90's -esque Anime. Gives me a lot more hope for the direction the movie is taking than the other two.
This was cool but it also just seemed to recycle a bunch of stuff from the original movie.
This is probably my only big complaint.

Man, Watanabe did a great job with this. He did a great job recreating iconic locations and shot compositions from the original film, while also expanding on the lore and look of the Blade Runner universe as a whole.

Mr. Hyde

Man, Watanabe did a great job with this. He did a great job recreating iconic locations and shot compositions from the original film, while also expanding on the lore and look of the Blade Runner universe as a whole.

I liked it. I wish it was longer but it accomplished what it set out to. I ended up watching the other shorts and a couple VICE making of videos on YouTube. Time to watch the original again and prepare for the new one. The only problem, my wife really wants to see it also and we have an almost one year old. I need to solve this dilemma because I really want to see it.

I liked it. I wish it was longer but it accomplished what it set out to. I ended up watching the other shorts and a couple VICE making of videos on YouTube. Time to watch the original again and prepare for the new one. The only problem, my wife really wants to see it also and we have an almost one year old. I need to solve this dilemma because I really want to see it.

Do you know any babysitters, family or friends that you could possibly ask to watch your child for a few hours? Or is the situation more complicated than that?

duckroll

The animation is really amazing. They got all the greats involved in this. The runtime could be longer though. It doesn't really flesh out the incident much other than using it as a canvas for some cool scenes. Ohira's flashback scene was sooooo good. The action at the end had superb character animation too. The effects were awesome, the backgrounds SO GOOD. If only this were 30 mins long. T_T

Nice short. Overall, while not super original, I liked the story. Pretty good animations, I even liked those parts that looked like storyboard (like half-completed and done in a hurry).

Crappy music, but that's ok.

The animation is really amazing. They got all the greats involved in this. The runtime could be longer though. It doesn't really flesh out the incident much other than using it as a canvas for some cool scenes. Ohira's flashback scene was sooooo good. The action at the end had superb character animation too. The effects were awesome, the backgrounds SO GOOD. If only this were 30 mins long. T_T

Yeah, it's pretty much just a visual showcase rather than particularly meaningful storytelling. But what a showcase!

Kalentan

Pretty good, though sometimes I felt the animation was a tad weird. Like there were scenes where it was gorgeous and others where it was just... bad.

Still very good overall.

Dialogue and voice acting felt a tad weak, but good stuff overall. Didn't know the other two shorts were already out, gonna watch those now.

I love Blade Runner but let's not pretend it's some sort of deep philosophical story.

It's not deeply philosophical, but it is morally explorative when it comes to the value placed on life and uses the conventions of noir film and sci-fi to help capitalize on the film's meaning.

I thought the new movie was going for ambiguity, but this seems to be prefaced on the awful and nonsensical red eye shit.

How is that ambiguous?

Pachimari

I could watch a whole season of this.

Anyway, as with everything with no subtitles I think I have to get things cut out in paper.

Where the two Nexus 8 replicants rogues, and who did they attack with the oil truck? Or was it coordinated with Trixie’s boyfriend who let the EMP out and thus shut down TYRELL?

And I didn’t pick up on any of the names other than Trixi.

Boem

I thought the new movie was going for ambiguity, but this seems to be prefaced on the awful and nonsensical red eye shit.

How is that ambiguous?

The original movie had the glowing eyes too. It's not visible all the time.

Also, this is just a tie in short by another creator. It has its own vibe, so it might not mean it'll be as obvious in the new one. But like I said, the eyes aren't a new idea.

JSR_Cube

Worth a watch, thanks! I love these ideas of short prequels.

I guess truck driver automation still has a couple of years to go yet.

Top Bottom