• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner Black Out 2022 (short anime by Shinichiro Watanabe) is out

Laiza

Lovely stuff. Makes me realize just how starved I am for some good cyberpunk material.

I hope the new movie lives up to the promise.

Yep, it's him in the credits.

Oh lawd that's great! Okay this was pretty fantastic and now it just makes me want more Blade Runner anime. :(

Huge Blade Runner fan and the wait for 2049 will a little harder now but no matter, I feel it'll be a masterpiece.

Edit:

Third and final prequel? I only saw the first with Leto and co in a room.

What was the second?

The second short featured Dave Bautistas character. It was pretty good!

Dash_

Watched the anime short. Captured the tone of the original, but was kind of a disjointed mess with no sense as to
to the leadership and organisation behind the Nexus Rebellion
. Comparisons to the Animatrix Renaissance short are very flattering.

Wow. That officially got me fucking pumped!!!

Guys. No seriously, guys....we're getting a fucking Blade Runner sequel in less than a month. I mean, what the fuck?!!!!!!!!

Korigama

Oh, wasn't Cygnus one of the names I'm the data we saw from Trixie? Who is Gaff then?
Gaff's a returning character from the original Blade Runner (a cop played by Edward James Olmos), the one sitting in the briefing room while reviewing the data on the Replicants.

s_mirage

Hmm, so these Replicants are Nexus 8, the ones from the original movie were Nexus 6, where are the 7s? (
Deckard?
)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Great short if a little thin on story despite being kind of an info dump. Beautifully animated through out and makes me wish Watanabe would do something like this but on a larger scale.

This continues to make me wonder just what the hell is going on in the rest of the Blade Runner universe as well. Some crazy shit seems to be going down on all the colonies that is only ever hinted at even in the original. What is Earth's position in this all? Is it it in charge or is some kind of planetary alliance?

s_mirage

This continues to make me wonder just what the hell is going on in the rest of the Blade Runner universe as well. Some crazy shit seems to be going down on all the colonies that is only ever hinted at even in the original. What is Earth's position in this all? Is it it in charge or is some kind of planetary alliance?

Impossible to say without more published backstory, although the existence of Replicants would allow anyone with enough money to create their own private armies. The colonies could be made up of minor fiefdoms competing for resources/territory, which Earth is content to let do their own thing as long as Replicants do all the fighting.

Addi

It was decent, lacking a bit of originality for my taste (too many references to the original).

Guys. No seriously, guys....we're getting a fucking Blade Runner sequel in less than a month. I mean, what the fuck?!!!!!!!!

Not even that, it's out next week.

Pachael

There was a bit where it was a bit hard to follow the flashbacks and Iggy's delivery was wooden, but otherwise it was entertaining to watch. The short length probably played into the slightly disjointed flow

III-V

So that was incredible. I have never seen such an amazing rollout/buildup for a film. I can;t wait for this. Wow, I'm shook.

blamite

So which version of Blade Rubber should I watch before 2049 if I've never seen it before? Is the Final Cut considered the definitive version or ?

Pachimari

Gaff's a returning character from the original Blade Runner (a cop played by Edward James Olmos), the one sitting in the briefing room while reviewing the data on the Replicants.
I think I remember a guy with that name, and yet I don't. Time to rewatch the Final Cut this weekend!

JB1981

Didn't really like it much. Why were they detonating the EMP? Felt way too much like The Second Renaissance at times

Not

Banned
Everything but the talking was pretty great

Why is it so hard to make English dubbing sound natural 90% of the time?

Soma

I liked it but I wish it was a bit more fleshed out. Excellent animation and background art though.

Flying Lotus' jazzy/electronic music is a really good fit for Watanabe's vibe. There's a few moments here where I felt like they'd have a great chemistry for a bigger project/series.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Man nothing inspires me like some of those straight mood shots, and dialog between two characters. Its haunting and bittersweet. Hopefully the film itself allows for this sort of breathing room.

I absolutely adore the scenes with the compressed perspective and the closeup portrait of Trixie.

Absolutely loved this; would almost take a feature-length 2049 by Watanabe instead of the live-action film. Kind of an abrupt end though.

Didn't really like it much. Why were they detonating the EMP? Felt way too much like The Second Renaissance at times

They were detonating the EMP so they could attack and blow up the server farms that stored the Replicant databases, and thus free Replicants from being hunted down by humans.

Sojgat

That was great.

I'd kill for an animated feature in this style. Hopefully they put the short on the 2049 Blu-Ray. I need to own a copy of this.

Top Bottom