• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blame! Official Trailer and Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rymuth

netflix-blame-trailer-anime.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwy806RC2-Q

Coming May 20

Fuck me, looks oppressive as all hell!

Dali

Will probably watch but the character animation doesn't look evolved much past any other terrible cg-trying-to-look-like-2d-anime attempt in the past.

Breads

Banned
While I can't say that the style is growing on me I can say that with each passing iteration, Sidonia, then Ajin, and now this, I am growing more and more accustomed to this form of 3d.

Can't believe how long it's been though. I saw the trailer and said to myself "It can't have been that long. 20 years?".

Then I realized how I first read it in early 2000s and... yeah.

Seems a bit too dramatic and talkative, but I guess there's no way they would adapt the manga as is. Also is that Cibo in Sanakan's role?

Looks cool. Is this related to Biomega? Read some of it a long time ago. Amazing art.

There is a
Toha Heavy Industries
in this as well as in Knights of Sidonia afaik (haven't read that one). That lead some people to believe it's in the same universe, but different timeline (Biomega is a prequel for ex). Unless Nihei has said anything about it, given what's happening in Biomega I don't think they're connected.

Wow that looked really good! Although the manga was confusing a lot of the times, the set up and world is amazing, can't wait to see it animated.

Rymuth

Seems a bit too dramatic and talkative, but I guess there's no way they would adapt the manga as is. Also is that Cibo in Sanakan's role?

There is a
Toha Heavy Industries
in this as well as in Knights of Sidonia afaik (haven't read that one). That lead some people to believe it's in the same universe, but different timeline (Biomega is a prequel for ex). Unless Nihei has said anything about it, given what's happening in Biomega I don't think they're connected.
I think the only one we know to be truly connected would be NOiSE

Will probably watch but the character animation doesn't look evolved much past any other terrible cg-trying-to-look-like-2d-anime attempt in the past.

This.

Trailer didn't inspire confidence that the adaptation will be good.

woah that looks sick

manga is on my shelf unread :|
Read it!

The visuals for this actually look pretty fantastic.

I am still...hesitant about the new characters and framing. I know they're compressing a lot of the manga into one movie thingy so the long, meandering and often reams of pages of blank space won't work in that context but as a result the feel of the movie is going to be a bit different to the tone of the manga. Also the new characters seem superfluous in that way adaptations like to do because a character isn't a self-insert or someone they wanna be friends with. Couple that with the "only one man can save humanity" tagline...eh.

I'll remain hopeful though that it's fun.

The visuals for this actually look pretty fantastic.

I am still...hesitant about the new characters and framing. I know they're compressing a lot of the manga into one movie thingy so the long, meandering and often reams of pages of blank space won't work in that context but as a result the feel of the movie is going to be a bit different to the tone of the manga. Also the new characters seem superfluous in that way adaptations like to do because a character isn't a self-insert or someone they wanna be friends with. Couple that with the "only one man can save humanity" tagline...eh.

I'll remain hopeful though that it's fun.

I'm under the impression that they aren't new characters but redesigned and expanded roles for existing characters.

I've been waiting for this.

I don't get it. Everything about that looked like generic anime.

Heck, even the main girl has this weird cutesy thing about her. :/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
One of my favorite manga. I mentioned in the anime thread that this looks like an abridged version, which apparently it definitely is since it is a movie.

There's going to be a lot of stuff missing. One of the strongest points of the manga is oddly its slowness.

If someone here hasn't read the manga and plans to read the manga or watch the film, don't look up other information on this property. I've seen a couple of sites spoil what I'd consider a major part of the world of Blame!

One of my favorite manga. I mentioned in the anime thread that this looks like an abridged version, which apparently it definitely is since it is a movie.

There's going to be a lot of stuff missing. One of the strongest points of the manga is oddly its slowness.

If someone here hasn't read the manga and plans to read the manga or watch the film, don't look up other information on this property. I've seen a couple of sites spoil what I'd consider a major part of the world of Blame!
What do you think of the anime, did it capture the slow pacing?

https://youtu.be/KHoXnfpz-rk

While not entirely successful, this earlier anime adaptation captured the mood effectively.

EVOL 100%

Feels nothing like the original manga.

The web series did a pretty good job at capturing the surreal, creepy and minimal atmosphere of the manga.

This just looks like generic anime bullshit. Not watching

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What do you think of the anime, did it capture the slow pacing?

Captures the mood, but not enough of the MC (Killy) walking. Also can't really do tribute to the art in the manga which is why I thought an anime doing the manga justice would never be made.

Read it man!

EVOL 100%

Captures the mood, but not enough of the MC (Killy) walking. Also can't really do tribute to the art in the manga which is why I thought an anime doing just to the property would never be made.

Read it man!

I actually liked how they basically admitted defeat that they had no chance in hell to recreate the original series, and upped the more surrealistic aspects of the atmosphere.

The use of color and sound design was impeccable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom