• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blame! Official Trailer and Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm watching this right now

I'm watching you, watching this, watching it.

wyQA8um.jpg

I just watched it. it looks spectacular in HDR. And his studio is on another level when it comes to sound design.

I really hope there are more movies in the pipeline.

RS4-

I know nothing of the original source material, but found the movie to be alright.

Did look pretty good though.

SomTervo

Watched this last night. Really good. Way better than Sidonia.

Mentioned it in a group chat and turns out it's based on one of my old friends' favourite mangas of all time.

He explained a bit more of the universe/context - yeah, really excellent stuff, excited to see more films following Killy's journey.

Pity about the name though. It was apparently meant to be "BLAM!" but the original writer couldn't spell for shit...
Fucking embarassing

Looking to get a few episodes under my belt this evening or on Sunday. I just hope they nail Killy's giga cheese laser.

It's a film, pal.

Which is way better. I'd definitely rather this over an Attack on Titan style slow burn and ton of filler. They actually did a good job of framing this narrative and besides a couple of minor pacing/narrative issues this thing is tight.

Shoeless

Watched it last night. Felt a bit like some kind of anime/cyberpunk "Shane," which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't know anything about this story, is the manga itself already complete, or is the story still ongoing? It's definitely an interesting world that's been built here.

SomTervo

Watched it last night. Felt a bit like some kind of anime/cyberpunk "Shane," which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't know anything about this story, is the manga itself already complete, or is the story still ongoing? It's definitely an interesting world that's been built here.

Yes! Shane is exactly what I thought of, too!

I almost mentioned it to my pal before I realised that Shane will almost certainly not be any conscious inspiration to the thing; just a happenstance parallel, so I didn't bother.

The ongoing story is v cool. All I know is that the manga isn't about this community of humans; the manga is JUST about Killy and his journey. The manga is long finished, I think. His journey is absolutely massive. You know when he's talking about
"6,000 floors down" and "200 floors down"
and stuff? All that is fleshed out and explored in the manga. His story stretches
years
before and after this, I think.

Apparently the manga goes a lot more ham on the horror, too.

Shoeless

Yes! Shane is exactly what I thought of, too!

I almost mentioned it to my pal before I realised that Shane will almost certainly not be any conscious inspiration to the thing; just a happenstance parallel, so I didn't bother.

The ongoing story is v cool. All I know is that the manga isn't about this community of humans; the manga is JUST about Killy and his journey. The manga is long finished, I think. His journey is absolutely massive. You know when he's talking about
"6,000 floors down" and "200 floors down"
and stuff? All that is fleshed out and explored in the manga. His story stretches
years
before and after this, I think.

Apparently the manga goes a lot more ham on the horror, too.

Wow, crazy, thanks for the info. I wonder whether there will be more films, now. This really felt like an appetizer where they hinted at how just how massive and intricate this world really is, and its history, but only gave you a slice of it to deal with.

convo

As a long time fan of the manga i was at
during Killy's introduction.
By the end i got more like
The guy who funded the Sidonia pilot paid for it out of his own pocket, and this movie existing would be thanks to him. I can't quite find the source but he seems to be a brother from another mother, one who strifes to see Nihei's work realised.If only the berserk anime had the passion put into it like this did. The production studio is clearly made up of super fans of his work, and if we continue to stand together we can make our dream of a fromsoft BLAME! game a reality.

Foolworm

HELL TO THE YEAH

They took the Electrofishers arc, stripped all references to
Toha Industries - was it a conscious choice, to keep it separate from Sidonia?
and grafted on the plotline of Net Sphere Engineer to create something standalone and TOTALLY AWESOME.

The soundtrack was nothing like the ONAs or the bombastic trailer music, but it fit perfectly.

Cibo and Sanakan were great.
Apparently Cibo had been waiting almost 2000 years.... Wow.

All those food bars...

I WANT MORE

Shoeless

I guess it's probably too soon to know, but I would like to see more about this world. Does anyone have any information on whether there will be future installments, an OVA series or anything like that?

DirtyCase

I had no idea this was coming out. What a pleasant surprise!

I always thought Blame! Would make for an interesting video game setting if done correctly.

Shredderi

As a long time fan of the manga i was at

during Killy's introduction.
By the end i got more like

The guy who funded the Sidonia pilot paid for it out of his own pocket, and this movie existing would be thanks to him. I can't quite find the source but he seems to be a brother from another mother, one who strifes to see Nihei's work realised.
If only the berserk anime had the passion put into it like this did. The production studio is clearly made up of super fans of his work, and if we continue to stand together we can make our dream of a fromsoft BLAME! game a reality.

You said it man. A well made game in this universe would be fucking amazing. The environment is so unique.

convo

I have the manga but haven't read it. Any opinions whether I should read or watch first?

The movie is a sort of restructured arc from the manga that makes it more standalone and good on its own. Getting the flavor of the architecture from the manga will greatly increase ones appreciation for the art in the movie but i think you can take whichever order you want in this case.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just saw it, and it was great! Obviously they only took inspiration from the source material and created a standalone "Killy the Road Warrior" story about a single village with a few bits with Cibo and Net Terminal Gene access to Authority.

One day I hope to see it again in glorious 4K HDR. :)

The manga is ofc more epic, it spans so much more areas of the megastructure
[which was expanding randomly for millenias in a form of a bigass dyson sphere, and Killy was waking through it from the start, ultimately reaching the ORBIT OF JUPITER.]
I would very much like a sequel to this, which would dig in more into the mythology of the world.

Socivol

This was great! Never heard of it but I saw an article on The Verge about it and loved it! It has such an interesting world I would really love an anime series or something to continue the story.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Caught this last night after forgetting this was even happening. I came away impressed as a fan of the manga and Nihei's work in general. They made a surprisingly well done stand alone story for what is a series known to be vague and sometimes meandering. The CG being good was another plus.

Crispy

Just saw it and loved it! I had to get used to the way people are animated, like there are missing frames. But i guess it's part of the style intended. Will definitely be checking out the manga!

Edit: just ordered the first volume of the master edition :D

mm04

I started watching this last night and for some reason thought it was a series, not a movie. I'll have to finish it later as I started watching it way too late in the evening. But it sure is pretty. Bonus that it's a Dolby Vision title.

sun-drop

watched is morning and it was dam good. Flowed really well.

the music score was bang on too ... The tune they use when the main char pulls his gun reminded me of Zone of Enders alot

DVCY201

I quite enjoyed it! The story is standalone, but it's got enough room for a sequel as well. Polygon Pictures makes 3D animation work better than anybody else.

I'm looking forward to Sidonia S3 and whatever upcoming projects they have. Nihei seems on point to getting his entire work adapted, partial or not.

I just watched it. it looks spectacular in HDR. And his studio is on another level when it comes to sound design.

Such a gorgeous looking movie! Yeah, the sound design was great in Sidonia and now this. It was really good in Ajin as well.

Yeah, I hope they make more.

Yeah sidonia had killer sound design as well. Works so well for Nihei's sci-fi material.

n0razi

Looks terrible honestly coming from a huge BLAME fan.... its going more towards the shounen route like Knights of Sidonia

Vic_Viper

Was this meant to be the first in a series of films? I wish Polygon talked about their plans more. I mean what are they working on next?

Thought it was a great movie but it just ended without any real conclusion.

Hope they are able to do a Sidonia season 3 after this. But my main request is a Biomega series!

convo

Looks terrible honestly coming from a huge BLAME fan.... its going more towards the shounen route like Knights of Sidonia

Maybe it seemed that way because it was a mini story with more human characters in it , but those are mere microbes to the story as a whole. They were inconsequential to Killy as a whole,he must come across these towns countless times and they fit into the overall story of blame. Killy remains a stone faced monolith asking for a singular thing and doing some favors to humans he comes across. Compared to any other effort put into Blame adaptations before this had work put into the art which i appreciate the most. This certainly beats the shit out of the new Beserk anime. The people making this actually care.

I really enjoyed it. If I had to nitpick...
all the village females being busty was weird. But the real offender for me was the straight-up Tron Legacy music ripoff in the final act. I was immediately taken out of the world when that happened.

But yea, looking forward to more.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thought it was a great movie but it just ended without any real conclusion.

Blame manga has similar structure like Mad Max films, the point is really not placed on satisfying conclusions. At the end, the road warrior continues on his lonely quest.

Although I must say, the ending of the manga [and the last page] had me shook.
[but even that end is not really conclusive :D]

I really enjoyed it. If I had to nitpick...
all the village females being busty was weird. But the real offender for me was the straight-up Tron Legacy music ripoff in the final act. I was immediately taken out of the world when that happened.

But yea, looking forward to more.

There was a drum beat that straight up reminded me of Fury Road.

I quite enjoyed it.

I wouldn't say it was that good, but it was way better than I expected it. TBH I should expect more from Polygon, since Aijin was surprisingly good.

watching it right now, holy shit does the framerate take huge dumps

All Polygon CGI work seems to skip frames to mimic traditional 2D animation. GGXrd also uses it, for example. (but GG looks way better I must say)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
i think it was intentional, to mimic traditional anime?

I quite enjoyed it.

I wouldn't say it was that good, but it was way better than I expected it. TBH I should expect more from Polygon, since Aijin was surprisingly good.

All Polygon CGI work seems to skip frames to mimic traditional 2D animation. GGXrd also uses it, for example. (but GG looks way better I must say)

If it was intentional it was a bad decision. It just makes it look like it stutters and is bad for immersion. I've never noticed anything like that in traditional anime, or maybe it just doesn't affect the immersion in those, but for the CGI one it's definitely breaking it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was about to ask if it was better/different than Sidonia. Guess I will not bother. Can't imagine the role of women is good either.
There's no waifu-ism in this movie at least (I can't speak for the manga).

But yeah, it's so thematically similar with similar plot beats (particularly with a "twist" in the end), that you can tell they're from the same person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom