• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

ggx2ac

Oh hey, the patch is available now. I can definitely feel a difference between the regular rumble from Zelda BotW and the rumble used in Blaster Master Zero through the Pro Controller.

It's definitely feels and sounds the same as the rumble on the Joy-Cons.

Anyone have an issue with their pro controller that resets the character to a 90° position when trying to leave it at 45°? I know u can hold R down but it seems I have a problem with the pro controller dpad.

Sendou

Oh hey, the patch is available now. I can definitely feel a difference between the regular rumble from Zelda BotW and the rumble used in Blaster Master Zero through the Pro Controller.

It's definitely feels and sounds the same as the rumble on the Joy-Cons.

Is it not out on Europe or do I have to do something special with this system to patch games?

Dan-o

It automatically downloaded when I booted up the Switch.
Same here.

Anyone have an issue with their pro controller that resets the character to a 90° position when trying to leave it at 45°? I know u can hold R down but it seems I have a problem with the pro controller dpad.
I assume you're talking about Sophia's blaster angle. Yeah... it always resets to horizontal when I'm not holding down the Rz (or whatever Nintendo calls it... still getting used to the button configuration...) I just assumed this was intentional.

I'm 100% done the game now. Completed
Area 9 and unlocked the Unlimited mode. I'm tempted to power through the game in this mode to see if anything else changes. Not right away, but maybe in a few months.
Definitely my most satisfying game purchase and completion in awhile. Now I can finally focus on BotW. ;)

dock

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...0_doesnt_support_pro/?st=j0ckbahm&sh=4ecaa4f4
A9bl5pj.jpg

I found someone else bitching about the scaling issue, and much like this thread, most people can't see the problems. It's a real shame, as it should be an easy problem to fix, but it's clear that no-one really cares. This must be what the 59.9fps mario kart people feel like.

EDarkness

I found someone else bitching about the scaling issue, and much like this thread, most people can't see the problems. It's a real shame, as it should be an easy problem to fix, but it's clear that no-one really cares. This must be what the 59.9fps mario kart people feel like.

I don't know, man. I don't see a problem with the game. Plays great, looks great, and has good sound. Perhaps most people just aren't that nitpicky about the games they play. No disrespect to those who are bothered by the scaling. I just don't see it as a real problem when it comes to actually playing the game.

It automatically downloaded when I booted up the Switch.

I think it works like the Wii U where it downloads in the background. Mine had already downloaded before I even turned the system on. I booted up the game and it had already patched and installed.

dock

I don't know, man. I don't see a problem with the game. Plays great, looks great, and has good sound. Perhaps most people just aren't that nitpicky about the games they play. No disrespect to those who are bothered by the scaling. I just don't see it as a real problem when it comes to actually playing the game.
I haven't played the game, I can't bear to. :) I'm waiting on nintendo for that refund.

I'm sure it's fine, and my point is that most people plainly can't see the problems, much like the frame glitch no mario kart that I can't see. but for me it looks atrocious and is very distracting.

duckroll

It's ugly and noticeable. Right from the moment it boots, the Inti-Creates logo looks wrong. It doesn't make the game unplayable but I don't see why they shouldn't fix it.

ghibli99

Remember Blaster Master 2? I remember being pissed that it was on the Genesis instead of the SNES but then found out it was a piece of shit game years later that was made by a western studio.

It's graphical style was ugly as shit.

BlasterMaster2_24.png

death.gif
I love that old Amiga-style art. LOL Can't speak for the game though; never played it.

MoonFrog

Well, I am on a mix of Switch/Zelda withdrawal, so I bought this.

Got so many DS/3DS games I have and want to play in particular, but damn I just really want to play with my Switch lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My biggest complaint is that you basically become a god in the on foot segments in less than 20 minutes :x

I think I killed the first boss in less than 15 seconds LOL

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest complaint is that you basically become a god in the on foot segments in less than 20 minutes :x

Oh yeah, especially in co-op since your partner reticle can drop a large upgrade

It's like that in the original game too, kinda. The only way to beat the on-foot portions in the last half of the original game is to max onto your gun early. Then slowly crawl through each screen so you don't get hit and downgrade.

At least with the new game, you can choose your gun level. Which is essentially like choosing your own difficulty level. Blaster Master Zero could enforce that harder difficulty on its' own, but at least it's customizable, in a way.

EDarkness

It's ugly and noticeable. Right from the moment it boots, the Inti-Creates logo looks wrong. It doesn't make the game unplayable but I don't see why they shouldn't fix it.

I guess I don't get it. What's ugly about it? Looks like a normal old school game to me.

I wasn't careful going through the dungeon, so I must have died on that boss 5 or 6 times. BARELY managed to beat it in the end. I had only one energy bar left. I guess more folks are masters at these kinds of games, but I can hardly get through them unscathed. Died a couple of times on each boss so far.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I guess I don't get it. What's ugly about it? Looks like a normal old school game to me.

I wasn't careful going through the dungeon, so I must have died on that boss 5 or 6 times. BARELY managed to beat it in the end. I had only one energy bar left. I guess more folks are masters at these kinds of games, but I can hardly get through them unscathed. Died a couple of times on each boss so far.

Did you swap your weapon after you upgraded it? Also the strafe button makes a lot of stuff easy to avoid damage

Rezbit

I ended up picking this up, liking it so far! Definitely an appropriate level of challenge for someone who hasn't played the original (also I am bad at games lol).

EDarkness

Did you swap your weapon after you upgraded it? Also the strafe button makes a lot of stuff easy to avoid damage

I did, but I got hit a bunch of times and lost them. I tend to only use the long range gun since I can only keep the other guns for a few moments before getting hit and I end up losing it anyway. At least with the long range gun I can have it for a while without having to adjust because I lost the gun I was using.

Also, what strafe button?

In Area 1, in the starting area that's huge and open. When you have means to get up via hover or wall climb, there's a floating island with nothing on it. What gives? Is this in the original?

Kadin

In Area 1, in the starting area that's huge and open. When you have means to get up via hover or wall climb, there's a floating island with nothing on it. What gives? Is this in the original?
I noticed this myself the other day and meant to look into it. I found no use for it either but it's def different from the original.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)

I hate being perceived as some sort of audio-visual elitist when I talk about how terrible the Switch version's scaling is. I am enjoying the hell out of the game (especially with the Pro Controller this afternoon; respect to Inti for getting the patch out with relative speed), I only wish I had uniformly square pixels.

Uniformly square pixels. There's nothing difficult to understand about this. If the internal rendering resolution of 400x240 was simply nearest-neighbored up to 720p, the issue would be moot. Unfortunately, it's nearest-neighbored to 1080p then back down to 720 for undocked mode, leaving neither display mode with a proper presentation.

It's especially baffling given that every other Inti-developed "fake SD" game I've ever played has superior scaling on home consoles.

But, like, I'm giving up. I officially abandon this fight. I guess I'll buy it again on 3DS and dig on native resolution there. If only Switch/3DS cross-buy were a thing...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I played Blaster Master on my NES Classic for about 5 minutes and I hated it.

... I'm still going in on this just because of the positive hype!

Kadin

I played Blaster Master on my NES Classic for about 5 minutes and I hated it.

... I'm still going in on this just because of the positive hype!
Well hopefully you give it more time because it's definitely a great game. Do you remember what it was that turned you off so quickly about it?

ManeKast

Such a great game, 8hrs deep now. What a surprise, $13au this is a steal. I never played the original and I adore this little gem.

duckroll

It's the pixel-scaling version of watching in horror as your friend's TV auto defaults everything to widescreen, even 4:3 stuff, just so it "fills up the entire screen and looks better" when you know it looks wrong. There's no other way to explain it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's the pixel-scaling version of watching in horror as your friend's TV auto defaults everything to widescreen, even 4:3 stuff, just so it "fills up the entire screen and looks better" when you know it looks wrong. There's no other way to explain it.

Woah wait, does everyone else have black bars on their screen and it still happens? My game has two big black bars on the left and right when I play on my monitor

EDarkness

Okay. I get what you're saying. I guess it just doesn't bother me in this game. Looks great on my TV.

Hell, I just got the Acceleration Blast. I might be one of 5 people that played Blasting Again and cared enough about it not being useable in the game itself. It's like it was put in just for me. /deeplore

I think this might actually be a reference to something from Enemy Below. There was an entrance to an underground catacomb floating in the air. I have no idea why else that platform would be up there other than a wink and a nod.

Dinjoralo

Uh... Does the sprite scaling happen in portable mode, or on the TV? At the very least, it's a game I'm playing far away on my tv rather than on my monitor, where the bad scaling can really bug me.

People have spent non-trivial amounts of their lives understanding and perfecting this stuff. Rather than dismissing it as "I dunno, looks fine to me", spend an afternoon and learn a thing or two. Considering it is painfully easy to fix and looks bad even to the amateur trained eye, it is reasonable to ask for it to be fixed.

Bad Scaling

Non-trivial amounts of their lives. Don't blow away all the art-science with a shitty scaler. Just don't do it.
Source

People have spent non-trivial amounts of their lives understanding and perfecting this stuff. Rather than dismissing it as "I dunno, looks fine to me", spend an afternoon and learn a thing or two. Considering it is painfully easy to fix and looks bad to even to the amateur trained eye, it is reasonable to ask for it to be fixed.

Bad Scaling

Non-trivial amounts of their lives. Don't blow away all the art-science with a shitty scaler. Just don't do it.
Source

This is great information. Thanks for this.

duckroll

Ohhh, man that's super weird they didnt do it on the switch screen :l

It's not really a stretching issue, It's a scaling issue. The resolution just scales differently on the Switch screen and on the TV mode. The actual aspect ratio isn't different, just how the graphics look.

I just cleared Area 5, which was absolutely beautiful. The effect they used in the on-foot stages was so spectacular to look at. But holy crap the wave gun is STUPID. I'm killing bosses before they even have a chance to move. And because of the energy guard I'm never in any real danger of losing it.

I feel like I want to try replaying the game after finishing it using just the default blaster (or long shot) and see if things feel better balanced around that. Cause right now it feels like they put together levels that could be solid and challenging, but then give you the tools to absolutely break them over your knee.

RM8

So is this native resolution on 3DS? Because that'd push me to buy the 3DS version now instead of playing this as one of my "launch" games later this year :x I hate that kind of scaling issues...

And that's on top of having a d-pad. Yeah, I'm going with 3DS for this, I guess.

Vitacat

So is this native resolution on 3DS? Because that'd push me to buy the 3DS version now instead of playing this as one of my "launch" games later this year :x I hate that kind of scaling issues...

And that's on top of having a d-pad. Yeah, I'm going with 3DS for this, I guess.
I'm pretty sure it is native on 3ds. And honestly, I feel like this game is really well suited for 3ds, too bad they didn't they adding any 3D effect to the backgrounds. Could've looked really cool.

Remember Blaster Master 2? I remember being pissed that it was on the Genesis instead of the SNES but then found out it was a piece of shit game years later that was made by a western studio.

It's graphical style was ugly as shit.

BlasterMaster2_24.png

death.gif

It took my brain like 15 seconds to process that it wasn't looking at a Turrican game here.

Aokage

People have spent non-trivial amounts of their lives understanding and perfecting this stuff. Rather than dismissing it as "I dunno, looks fine to me", spend an afternoon and learn a thing or two. Considering it is painfully easy to fix and looks bad even to the amateur trained eye, it is reasonable to ask for it to be fixed.

Bad Scaling

Source

This is the most comprehensive distillation of information I've ever seen on the issue and I thank you for pointing me in its direction. Finally, I have a single excellent link to support my argument that bad scaling is not okay, what a relatively simple thing it is to fix for a developer, and why it's important to be aware of as a consumer.

So many people seem to have presuppositions about any game emulating the look of products designed before fixed pixel displays — c'mon, it's retro, it's old-school, it's, y'know, gonna look a little janky. No! The perfect mathematic elegance found in well-crafted pixel art can be adequately represented on modern displays, no matter what the original resolution... or indeed whatever arbitrary resolution a modern developer has chosen.

SUPPORT GOOD SCALING!

...Whew. I still hate that a game this groovy and a developer I dig as much as Inti is bringing this out in me.

EDarkness

Bad Scaling

Source

I totally understand this. It's something I have to deal with in my own game. However, I don't get bent out of shape if others don't do it. Game plays fine, so it doesn't matter to me at all. I don't want to sound dismissive to other people's concerns, but I really think the average Joe doesn't care about this at all.

Aokage

It's native resolution on 3DS. Blaster Master Zero is 400x240.

Which is why the Switch version's horrific scaling is so bizarre. Its 1280x720 panel allows for a perfect x3 nearest neighbor upscale (which would mean you're going to have black bars to either side... but the game in its current Switch presentation does anyway!).

I really wish I had gone 3DS in hindsight.

robot

Finished this last night. Do yourself a favor and get all power-ups and maps before you beat the final boss. Amazing stuff awaits!

Top Bottom