• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yea - should have your entire green health bar fill up with overlapping light green bars.
Damn I'm missing 3 in area 8 and I don't remember what zones I missed stuff in x.x

Edit: found em I'm dumb and missed area 1 and 7... 7 was painful for that long ass drive back

Hey folks, I'm in the underwater area and trying to find
the chip that allows underwater maneuverability
and I can't find it at all. Can't any of you help me out here?

big_z

I haven't followed much coverage with this game but are the areas exactly the same as the nes classic but with bonus content added on or is it more of a reimagining of the original?

Kadin

I really enjoyed my time with the game a lot more than I hoped I would. What a great value here. So question about after finishing it:
Is it really worth going back through and doing 100%? I see something in 'Extras' that still isn't unlocked so I imagine it has to do with that?

tuffy

I haven't followed much coverage with this game but are the areas exactly the same as the nes classic but with bonus content added on or is it more of a reimagining of the original?
It's more of a reimagining. The type of areas correspond to the original from what I remember (forest, underwater, ice, etc.), but the areas themselves have had a lot of adjustments.

Ryan_09

This was an impulse buy for me, but totally worth the $10. I legit could not put it down, even after having to restart from scratch after screwing myself with a glitch getting Sophia III stuck in a wall in Area 5.

Checked out the Hardcoregaming 101 article on it and am shocked this is a franchise. An incredibly convoluted one at that. Two entirely different lore based on the region in NES days, a Bomberman-spin off for Game Boy, several attempts to revitalize the series and basing the lore on a Scholastic book made for the original... this is nuts, yo. xD

As far as I'm concerned, Zero the definitive version of the series just for my sanity's sake.

I really enjoyed my time with the game a lot more than I hoped I would. What a great value here. So question about after finishing it:
Is it really worth going back through and doing 100%? I see something in 'Extras' that still isn't unlocked so I imagine it has to do with that?

There's a 9th area with a true ending. You unlock Unlimited Mode, which is more or less just New Game+/Power Trip mode in which you can replay with a maxed out tank.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah okay, I'm doing the 100% then. Thanks!

On a positive note it's generally pretty easy to tell what you are missing from a zone, the blue/green glowing stuff on the map screen are the health power ups, and generally everything else was doable the first time you came across a door so if its filled it you should have the stuff from it.
The only one people seem stuck on was the dark rooms but literallty like 5 screens away from the first dark room was a dungeon with the flash bang power up that tells you it brightens dark rooms lol

Quick question. Just got the game and made it to area 2. It's awesome! However, there is one block on the first map that I can't get to. I assume you are supposed to get to all the areas of the map? How easy is it to get back to the first area if I move on?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Quick question. Just got the game and made it to area 2. It's awesome! However, there is one block on the first map that I can't get to. I assume you are supposed to get to all the areas of the map? How easy is it to get back to the first area if I move on?

You are going to loop back there eventually. Area one is basically a fork in the road for the games two paths

Kadin

Interesting. Thanks!
Yeah I'd approach this kind of like a Metroid game. If you get to a point where you think you're stuck, spend a little time to make sure you're not missing something and then push forward. There aren't a ton of situations where you will have this happen but you'll see paths you can't get to and will have to backtrack. But it's never a chore to do so.

jackal27

Banned
God this game is SO good! A solid 9/10 for me. I'm loving it that much. I heard Jeff Gerstmann was ripping on it and I honestly can't figure out why for the life of me.

Finn

Never played the original BM on the NES but decided to check this one out after hearing good things. I finished it tonight (although I got the bad ending) and really enjoyed it. According to the in-game clock, I got almost 6 hours of playtime out of it, which isn't a bad deal for $10. I want more classic NES reboots/reimaginings/remakes on the Switch, puhlease.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I like to think of my OTs as like a Seal of Quality type thing.

Oh, but we're forgetting Shovel Knight of course.
I kinda left that and issac out just due to the fact they kinda been around for ages now, even if they do have some new stuff and are great games, I am setsuna would be on that list too
Snipperclips

Yeah it's a fun multiplayer game, was mostly doing my list based solely on single player

For multiplayer
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight
Snipper
and Puyo Tetris

Over all the switch has a REALLY strong launch line up if you are not some weirdo that only plays AAA games and thinks that's all that matters :p

Also game beaten spoilers
I really need to find out if doing unlimited mode makes the final boss different

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Respect to Digital Foundry's John Linneman for this stunningly comprehensive Blaster Master DF Retro episode.

No, the inexplicably poor scaling in Blaster Master Zero does not please him.

However, I did learn that the 3DS version of Zero runs at 30fps, like the Gunvolt series. I was not expecting that. Neither platform's presentation is ideal, which is quite a shame considering the quality of the game.

Kadin

Also game beaten spoilers
I really need to find out if doing unlimited mode makes the final boss different
Sounds like you have your next goal. I'll be joining you soon. Game is just too good to not play through it one more time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sounds like you have your next goal. I'll be joining you soon. Game is just too good to not play through it one more time.

Yup gonna get on that after I finish up nier :D Feel like it would be nice to have a reason to come back to the game

dcx4610

I didn't like the game at all at first but once you get to the 2nd area and some upgrades, it's really fun and starts to feel like a proper Metroidvania game although it quite on that level. It's a shame that the opening is so dull and confusing because once you figure out the weapons and how things work, it's very good. Well worth the $10 and makes me want to play the NES version after. Too bad it's not an unlockable.

ggx2ac

Blaster Master Zero is an okay game. I never played the original so I don't know how it compares.

I did get 100% item completion if anyone is wondering what I finished.

So I am assuming I beat the game with the
bad ending
, how do I unlock
area 9?

Find all the weapons, health increase items and maps aka 100% item completion.

Aokage

Sadly the soundtrack is recorded by someone holding up a phone's microphone to a TV speaker, but hey don't get hung up on nitpicking and small issues.

Is that based on the version sold at PAX East? Inti's self-published CDs in Japan are immaculate, I'd be shocked if BM Zero was any different...!

Got to section 3 but haven't been exploring much at all. Will need to backtrack later to comb through everything. Enjoying my time with this and a nice break after spending every day playing Zelda since launch.

dock

Is that based on the version sold at PAX East? Inti's self-published CDs in Japan are immaculate, I'd be shocked if BM Zero was any different...!
I'm making a joke based upon the very poor pixel scaling Blaster Master Zero has on Switch.

Aokage

I'm making a joke based upon the very poor pixel scaling Blaster Master Zero has on Switch.

Ah. My subtle humor detection gauge is low, it seems.

But hey, did anyone snag the US ver soundtrack at PAX by any chance? What's the packaging like?

dcx4610

Just beat the game. Got the bad ending and was short 2 life upgrades. I went back and found the two life upgrades and got the good ending.

No spoilers but it's amazing how differently the game turns out depending on if you get everything or don't. If you get the bad ending and like the game, I think it's very much worth your while to go after the good ending.

Not the best game but a solid experience. I'll go 6/10 which sounds low but I consider that score better than average and it hit the Metroidvania itch.

Croc

Banned
This definitely grew on me a bit. I was pretty indifferent at first but after area 2 it started to click. I'm in area 4 now and I'm really enjoying it.

So I went back to Area 7 and picked off a few dungeons I missed and then beat the boss but
it didn't unlock Area 9
. Think I'm missing that dungeon in area 3 behind that big wall, but I'm tired of backtracking, so I'm putting this one to bed. Took 7.5 for my playthrough, but it was pretty much a cakewalk for 90% of the game.

Top Bottom