• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

majik13

No pro controller support, no buy.

Really? I wouldnt think they would be able to omit that. Thought it would be supported on the system level/system wide. But I suppose if your game is motion controls only then I could understand no support.

Vitacat

You'd think the Pro controller would just work on the OS level or with the firmware
Seems like the most absolute basic functionality
I disagree. It makes sense. Each type of controller is probably using different input codes so the system can differentiate them, or even combine them if desired. So, just because a game is coded to recognize joycon input would not mean the game automatically recognizes pro controller inputs. Just because the system can recognize pro controller inputs doesn't mean software doesn't need to be coded to recognize and use those inputs.

And why all the fuss anyway? They're adding pro controller support.

Eusis

I was kind of scared off from other Blaster Master iterations due to the difficulty. Granted it was probably more circumstance (mild difficulty plus other games I want to play more equals playing those other games instead, usually) but for an extra game to play early in the Switch's life I really wouldn't mind.

Chucker

Second player is represented on-screen by a reticle and is purely support. You can attack enemies on screen and I believe heal/boost tbe first player in some way. Just skimmed through some videos but that's how it appeared.
Think 2P from Mario Galaxy 2.

Kind of crazy that the Pro Controller isn't just automatically supported at the OS level. I can understand why that wasn't the case with Wii and Wii U, as the Wii Remote and the Gamepad each had unique functionality that those systems' Pro Controllers lacked, but that's not really the case here.

I'll wait a week and buy this game once the patch is live.

nubbe

Almost 11AM
fDX2eoZm.png

What year is this?

Robin64

I was initially worried about lack of Pro Controller support, but then I got Shovel Knight last night and the "d-pad" replacement on the Joycon is actually fine. It's so small that you can just play as you would expect, it feels fine. My Shovel Knighting never felt hindered because of it, I was right back in to the swing of things. Now I'm not worried about this at all.

(Plus pixel art games look BEAUTIFUL on that screen, Shovel Knight really pops)

Almost 11AM

What year is this?

Europe? It will be at 3pm (2pm UK time), when the eShop always update.

Soundslike

Neo Member
I was initially worried about lack of Pro Controller support, but then I got Shovel Knight last night and the "d-pad" replacement on the Joycon is actually fine. It's so small that you can just play as you would expect, it feels fine. My Shovel Knighting never felt hindered because of it, I was right back in to the swing of things. Now I'm not worried about this at all.

(Plus pixel art games look BEAUTIFUL on that screen, Shovel Knight really pops)

Europe? It will be at 3pm (2pm UK time), when the eShop always update.

Needs to be said again, the pro controller support will come next week.

Jashobeam

Getting my Switch later today, and this will probably be my 1st game for the console, might as well be getting an NES lol.

Robin64

Good, didnt sound like it :)

Glad it seem to be good. Such a hit or miss kind of game

Nah, I'm just not worried about buying it today now, where before I was considering waiting for the patch. As I say, the Joycon "d-pad" is actually pretty good!

dock

I had forgotten it had no Pro Controller support.
Going to skip on this until they fix it.

Between this and the broken colours/sound on the Neo Geo games, some pretty disappointing early Switch retro-gaming.

Samus4145

Between this and the broken colours/sound on the Neo Geo games, some pretty disappointing early Switch retro-gaming.

They already mentioned that the Pro update is coming March 16.

As for coop, second player controls a reticle, and can drop health and sub weapon ammo.

Cerium

It's just a week dude.

No Pro controller support at launch.... What?!

Absolute madness

Game looks cool though, never played Blaster Master before. Anyone reckon this will be worth me picking up?

-Mikey-

I'm sure this has been posted, but I believe this is cheaper on the Japanese eshop. I know not everyone can swing a Japanese card from Amazon.jp.

I never played the original, so it's pretty fresh. It's charming and I've been enjoying the weapons and when you enter dungeons for a top down experience. Really enjoyed the boss cameo which happened to be my first (everyone's?) boss encounter. I'm curious about what kind of dlc they'll offer.

mindatlarge

I'm sure this has been posted, but I believe this is cheaper on the Japanese eshop. I know not everyone can swing a Japanese card from Amazon.jp.

I never played the original, so it's pretty fresh. It's charming and I've been enjoying the weapons and when you enter dungeons for a top down experience. Really enjoyed the boss cameo which happened to be my first (everyone's?) boss encounter. I'm curious about what kind of dlc they'll offer.
I was under the impression that you just had to make a new user on the console for the desired region you would like to download games from. Then you are free to use your own credit card for payment like any other eShop purchase.

Or am I tripping?

E-phonk

Banned
Kind of crazy that the Pro Controller isn't just automatically supported at the OS level. I can understand why that wasn't the case with Wii and Wii U, as the Wii Remote and the Gamepad each had unique functionality that those systems' Pro Controllers lacked, but that's not really the case here.
I assume Nintendo will have a standard way to automatically have pro controller support included in one of their next devkit updates. It probably wasn't ready at launch (ie, meaning ofcourse you can have pro controller support, but have to implement it yourself at the moment).

big_erk

No Pro controller support at launch.... What?!

Absolute madness

Game looks cool though, never played Blaster Master before. Anyone reckon this will be worth me picking up?

Blaster Master on NES was one of my favorite games for the system. This looks to re-create that experience. If you enjoy retro shooters, I'd say yes.

I disagree. It makes sense. Each type of controller is probably using different input codes so the system can differentiate them, or even combine them if desired. So, just because a game is coded to recognize joycon input would not mean the game automatically recognizes pro controller inputs. Just because the system can recognize pro controller inputs doesn't mean software doesn't need to be coded to recognize and use those inputs.

And why all the fuss anyway? They're adding pro controller support.

The fuss is because this is a bad practice to see a week after launch for a $70 accessory. Nintendo has a bad history of releasing expensive peripherals that only work in some games arbitrarily, and it's not setting a good precedent for Switch to be seeing this so fast. Hell, even Snipperclips doesn't have Pro Controller support which is straight up insane.

Nintendo should be making pro controller support mandatory across any game that can reasonably support it. As a dev myself I can say we're accustomed to being required to support each platforms unique features, and getting inputs from one controller interface versus another is not complicated at all. The amount of work it takes (in basically any normal condition) is basically non existent. I haven't used a Switch devkit yet, but I can't imagine how it could be difficult.

Isn't this game full screen on Switch? All video/screens I've seen have black bars on the sides. I guess the aspect ratio of the screens are different on 3DS and Switch, and this was first intended as a 3DS game maybe?

Skyzard

Banned
I watched gameplay of this for a short while during the Switch GB livestream and as someone who had no experience with the game prior to that... I was not impressed to say the least...

Was it a really big game in the past? Is that why everyone is keen on coming back to it?

Btw, the pro controller d-pad is stiff, the joycon's aren't actually that bad by comparison.

Ichabod

Banned
Really happy Blaster Master is getting time in the limelight again; especially after that mediocre one that came out a few years ago. It's one of those legendary NES titles that cemented my love for gaming and never fails to hit me square in the nostalgia feels.

Skyzard

Banned
Odd, mine isn't stiff at all.

That's what she said,etc.

I've read a few people say that it wasn't, so I thought maybe it was just me noticing an odd one at the switch event, but then I read the engadget review which mentioned it and then came across a bunch of people on gaf saying it also in a thread about how you would rank controllers.

It was a shame because the ergonomics were superb for my hands but it was the worst d-pad I've tried due to the stiffness.

There's probably some variation between them. Because you'd damn well notice it if it was like the one I tried!

This reminds me of Metal Slug Anthology releasing around launch on Wii without pro controller support. At least this can be patched.

Plum

Completely forgot this was coming out. Was gonna buy Shovel Knight again but I think I'll go for this instead.

CDX

I got the Japanese version of it last week, and the game is fun and was in English.

But after I got my Pro Controller, I just didn't want to play it anymore without the Pro Controller. The Pro Controller is just that good of a controller to me.

So I'm glad the patch is all regions, and I look forward to playing more of it after the 16th.

Yeah, it's a little bit cheaper on the Japanese eShop. When I bought it last week, the 1000 yen eshop card I bought instantly from Amazon.co.jp, came to like $8.50 or $8.75 USD or something close to it, can't remember exactly.

Also, my credit card charges no foreign transaction fees, so if somebodies credit card does charge foreign transaction fees I don't know how much it will cost.

Ooh I'll be getting this for sure for that price! Have to play Zelda first though which is waiting for me to start (received my Switch yesterday).

M-PG71C

This will be my second game I have purchased on the eShop (First being Fast RMX) and my fourth Switch title overall (Bomberman and Zelda retail). Cannot fucking wait!

Blaster Master on NES was one of my favorite games for the system. This looks to re-create that experience. If you enjoy retro shooters, I'd say yes.

I do like those retro shooters.

So I like: megaman, metal slug, shock troopers and contra.
Is Blaster Master gonnna scratch that itch?

This game is REALLY good. It scratches that Super Metroid itch really well while also vastly improving on the top down sections from the original, turning them into some of my favourite parts of the game. There's also some really nice pixel art in there, especially for some of the larger bosses

It's fantastic and I hope Inti continues with this series and continues to move it forward
How is this similar to Super Mwtroid? Is it a Metroidvania?

Never played the original, I was under the impression this was kinda like Megaman.

Top Bottom