• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

This actually looks really good! I've been torn between getting this or Snake Pass next week, but I guess my answer should be "neither" as I haven't even touched Shovel Knight or Snipperclips yet...

This actually looks really good! I've been torn between getting this or Snake Pass next week, but I guess my answer should be "neither" as I haven't even touched Shovel Knight or Snipperclips yet...
Hey, same here. Bought Snipperclips and Shovel on launch day, but Zelda has taken 99% of my Switch gaming time. Really want Blaster Master, but with already a backlog 6 days in, maybe I should learn from my mistakes.

Pft, this will be game number 7 for me you pauper ;)
Nice

Which games did you get?
I've been thinking about getting those Neo Geo games as I like all of them, but I think I'll wait until their colour problems are fixed.
1-2 Switch is another games that looks apealing to me that I haven't gotten around to buying yet but only because I'm prioritizing getting games that can be played by myself at the moment because funds aren't unlimited and I don't usually have people to play with locally.

And I haven't even finished any of the games I've bought yet.. it's nice to finally have a backlog again.

ot; It's a shame the pro controller isn't supported yet but I actually don't mind using the stick with Shovel Knight when I'm playing in handheld mode so I guess I'll see how this holds up.

jonno394

Nice

Which games did you get?
I've been thinking about getting those Neo Geo games as I like all of them, but I think I'll wait until their colour problems are fixed.
1-2 Switch is another games that looks apealing to me that I haven't gotten around to buying yet but only because I'm prioritizing getting games that can be played by myself at the moment because funds aren't unlimited and I don't usually have people to play with locally.

And I haven't even finished any of the games I've bought yet.. it's nice to finally have a backlog again.

ot; It's a shame the pro controller isn't supported yet but I actually don't mind using the stick with Shovel Knight when I'm playing in handheld mode so I guess I'll see how this holds up.

I got

Physical - Zelda, Bomberman, Skylanders, I Am Setsuna
Digital - Fast Racing RMX and Shovel Knight

I haven't really played anything outside of Zelda though....such a waste of money, but I want to get BMZ tonight and Metal Slug 3 as soon as it's patched for the visuals issue.

Are the online services down right now? Can't connect my Switch and just trying to figure out if it's a problem on my end. Haven't had any connectivity issues since launch.

Ibuki

Banned
Are the online services down right now? Can't connect my Switch and just trying to figure out if it's a problem on my end. Haven't had any connectivity issues since launch.

I was able to connect just about 30 minutes ago to the eShop and friends list.

Not sure if it's gone down in the mean time, maybe they are doing an early update?

EDarkness

Yeah, I mean, this isn't a Wii U situation where the Pro controller is missing several major features of the default controller. There is no functional difference between the Pro controller and the joycons in the grip, so it's mind-boggling support isn't automatic.

From a programming standpoint, each controller is different, so a conscious effort has to be made to add in that support. My game supports remote and nunchuck and gamepad on the Wii U, but doesn't support the pro-controller. People will probably be mad about that, but it's not a simple "add a few lines of code" to get it to work. I'm sure this is the same for the NS as well.

deadfolk

From a programming standpoint, each controller is different, so a conscious effort has to be made to add in that support. My game supports remote and nunchuck and gamepad on the Wii U, but doesn't support the pro-controller. People will probably be mad about that, but it's not a simple "add a few lines of code" to get it to work. I'm sure this is the same for the NS as well.

This is a failing on Nintendo's part, imo.

If the controller contains all the same inputs, the api should make it trivial to support both. Possibly even defaulting to such.

That fact that we have to wait until next week to play this game with a Pro Controller is absurd. We also have to wait to play Neo Geo games at the proper brightness and without a sound delay. These smaller games should be done right the first time. There's no excuse for this.

With the complaints out of the way, I am super excited to play through this anyway. Based on what I've seen of Zero so far, it puts the Wii remake/sequel/whatever the fuck that was supposed to be to shame.

nubbe

Feels better to play in handheld mode for some reason.
Have the same feeling with Shovel Knight

Might be because of the graphic style.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Listed under new releases on 3ds eShop but still unavailable to actually purchase...

E-flux

I have been playing this for few days thanks to it being out in Japanese store earlier, it is really good. Last time i felt like this when playing a "retro" game was shovel knight.

EDarkness

This is a failing on Nintendo's part, imo.

If the controller contains all the same inputs, the api should make it trivial to support both. Possibly even defaulting to such.

<shrug> It's like that for just about every system I've worked on. Each device is different as far as the code goes. The thing is, Nintendo does not mandate anything. It's all up to the developer to add (or not add) features. I think this is great. If you want this kind of stuff added, then talk to the developer. Ultimately they decide what goes in their game.

XaosWolf

Huh.

I bought this using a JP account last week and now that its out here I wanna download it on my normal account...

But its locked as "Purchased" with no way to redownload.

I've tried deleting the game and save data but ti still shows as Purchased on my local account.

I could try removing the JP account but that seems extreme considering they're completely separate accounts and users. =/

Anyone else had this?

deadfolk

<shrug> It's like that for just about every system I've worked on. Each device is different as far as the code goes. The thing is, Nintendo does not mandate anything. It's all up to the developer to add (or not add) features. I think this is great. If you want this kind of stuff added, then talk to the developer. Ultimately they decide what goes in their game.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting it's a major oversight or different from the norm - I wouldn't know, as my only console dev experience was on the 360.

I just think that with all the different input possibilities the Switch provides, they could have made this kind of thing more painless for developers. Making a Pro controller behave as the same as a JoyCon could almost happen for free. Maybe that will come in time.

deadfolk

Huh.

I bought this using a JP account last week and now that its out here I wanna download it on my normal account...

I've tried deleting the game and save data but ti still shows as Purchased on my local account.

I could try removing the JP account but that seems extreme considering they're completely separate accounts and users. =/

Anyone else had this?

Why do you need to download it on your normal account? You can play the version you downloaded from the JP account as your normal user.

EDarkness

Huh.

Anyone else had this?

I've noticed this with I Am Setsuna. I purchased the N.A. version of the game and it's blocked on my Japanese account from purchasing because it's already on the system and tied to an account on the system. It's good that it keeps you from purchasing the game multiple times by accident. However, it does make it difficult to purchase on the account you want. No idea how this can be circumvented. I guess if you deleted the account with the game and the game from your system, it wouldn't know that the game was owned so you'd be able to purchase the N.A. version. You could always add the Japanese account back to your system once you had the game again on the account you want it on.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting it's a major oversight or different from the norm - I wouldn't know, as my only console dev experience was on the 360.

I just think that with all the different input possibilities the Switch provides, they could have made this kind of thing more painless for developers. Making a Pro controller behave as the same as a JoyCon could almost happen for free. Maybe that will come in time.

I understand what you're saying, man. Personally, I HATE messing around with a bunch of controllers. For my game I have to have keyboard and mouse, 360 controller, PS4 controller, gamepad, wii remote and nunchuck, and possibly the Wii U pro controller. That's a crapton of controllers to mess with. If I did an NS version of my game, there would be no guarantee that I'd add support for the pro-controller, either. Maybe I'd add it later.

shtolky

Feels better to play in handheld mode for some reason.
Have the same feeling with Shovel Knight

Might be because of the graphic style.

Same. I haven't touched BOTW on handheld but I have only played Shovel Knight on handheld. Such a great system to have those options. I can see myself purchasing a ton of indie games and playing them almost exclusively in handheld mode.

XaosWolf

Why do you need to download it on your normal account? You can play the version you downloaded from the JP account as your normal user.

I know, just wanted everything on my local account to avoid account juggling down the road. (The JP account was mainly for testing)

I've noticed this with I Am Setsuna. I purchased the N.A. version of the game and it's blocked on my Japanese account from purchasing because it's already on the system and tied to an account on the system. It's good that it keeps you from purchasing the game multiple times by accident. However, it does make it difficult to purchase on the account you want. No idea how this can be circumvented. I guess if you deleted the account with the game and the game from your system, it wouldn't know that the game was owned so you'd be able to purchase the N.A. version. You could always add the Japanese account back to your system once you had the game again on the account you want it on.

Went into the eShop Settings for my JP account and unregistered the Switch for that accounds games and I can now buy it on my local account.

Still weird though considering the game didn't exist in any capacity on my console for that account.

EDIT: Entered eShop with my JP account and its all connected again. At least there's a quick workaround.

Ricker

Hope they kept the original soundtrack, specially when you were on the vehicle.

Yep,hopefully they kept that suspension bounce on the vehicule as well...not a big deal nowadays but when I played the original back then,this is one of the little things that made the game awesome.

Wait what?! This is a thing that switch games are capable of not supporting?!?

Wait, what, they have to patch in Pro Controller support? Why isn't it native by default?

"Wait, what?" is right. Well, one more thing I have to watch out for, I guess. If I ever buy a Switch game that doesn't have Pro Controller support, I'm going to be pissed. Partly at myself for not remembering it's a possibility.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I remember the pause cheat on boss fights when I was a kid. Never beat the original but I did love it!
DEFEAT BOSSES EASILY (LEVELS 2, 4, 6, AND 7)

To easily kill the bosses for levels 2, 4, 6 and 7, toss a grenade at them. When they begin flashing after being hit, pause the game. As long as the game is paused, the bosses will keep suffering damage as they flash. If you wait long enough, one grenade can be used to kill the bosses.

EDarkness

I hope this ends up on the store sometime soon. I'll check again in a little while. Can't wait for this and Metal Slug.

Sojiro

Can't wait to download this when I get home tonight, and for only $10 bucks it looks like a steal. Also didn't know it had coop, that is really, really awesome!

MoogleMan

I remember the pause cheat on boss fights when I was a kid. Never beat the original but I did love it!

To easily kill the bosses for levels 2, 4, 6 and 7, toss a grenade at them. When they begin flashing after being hit, pause the game. As long as the game is paused, the bosses will keep suffering damage as they flash. If you wait long enough, one grenade can be used to kill the bosses.

Same. I never beat the original either but I remember that trick. :)

This looks neat. I just watched a video of some gameplay and it was so weird to see the game without all the classic NES screen glitching of the original. I'd get this if I get a switch.

Wait what?! This is a thing that switch games are capable of not supporting?!?

Yeah, what the fuck is that. It's not like it has a different feature set from the Joy-Con when they're in their grip or anything. That's absurd. That stuff should just work natively.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You'd think the Pro controller would just work on the OS level or with the firmware
Seems like the most absolute basic functionality

You'd think a lot of the fallacies surrounding the Switch right now would have been thought about more prior to launch.

Zarovitch

I've beat the original many times but I've use the pause trick with the sixth boss every time.

I've try many time to beat it without the trick but never succeed. I remember being close to kill him, cause he began to explode but he kill me.

Top Bottom