• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend |OT| Extended Again

300 yen...I have an extra one too, paid 500 yen for the Blazblue one as a souvenir

those prices are frustrating, especially the 1.50 per game, im just glad its happening somewhere in the states. I would love to see arcades push back into the US. Dave and busters clearly will never get the market we would need for fighters, but even a new "arcade" we have here called victory pointe isnt doing well, despite having an attractive pricing model where you just pay 10 buck entry and get unlimited access to cabs. Maybe its just because their cabs are mostly older though.

Honestly, this is the big one. We used to have Arcade Infinity, Denjin Arcades and Super Arcade. They're all pretty much dead. Well, they're trying to bring back Super Arcade, but it doesn't look good. I didn't know about Round 1 until recently and just happy that they have Nesica. I'm kinda hoping they bring in the other systems, so I can start playing some GG too.

I'm hearing that other Round 1's will start carrying Nesica, due to how successful it is in Puente Hills. It seems to be taking off again. We still have other scenes (like UGC), but they're mainly consoles, not cabs.

edit: As a side note, music games have evolved a ton. I remember when pop'n'music and para para paradise was the cool thing. There's too many to choose from now.

I only ever bought drinks from the counter, language barrier made me nervous a lot while I was there

yeah I know the feeling. I figure he assumed was a super scrubby gaijin but over 4 wins in a row later he came over with chicken and shook my hand.
I am scrubby though lol
Arcade infinity was the first place I saw a BB cab. :(

Honestly, this is the big one. We used to have Arcade Infinity, Denjin Arcades and Super Arcade. They're all pretty much dead. Well, they're trying to bring back Super Arcade, but it doesn't look good. I didn't know about Round 1 until recently and just happy that they have Nesica. I'm kinda hoping they bring in the other systems, so I can start playing some GG too.

I'm hearing that other Round 1's will start carrying Nesica, due to how successful it is in Puente Hills. It seems to be taking off again. We still have other scenes (like UGC), but they're mainly consoles, not cabs.

edit: As a side note, music games have evolved a ton. I remember when pop'n'music and para para paradise was the cool thing. There's too many to choose from now.
if our only arcade here ever got a nesica, id be there every day. I wish the nesica/aime split didnt exist, would really help in getting things over here

The only time I went to an arcade I sat down at a Blazblue CS cab trying to get it to work and a guy sits down beside me.

It was the first time I ever used a stick which resulted in me jumping a lot because of the sensitivity, this was back then when I was at my best in terms of performance in the game.

He chose Hazama and I chose Ragna.

I don't remember how the matches played out but I remember that when I hit him with a big combo (inbetween 4-5K I think) I looked at him and noticed him nodding in response to it.

My assumption is that he was acknowledging that I kind of knew what I was doing, since for the first little while I was floundering around trying to get used to the sensitivity of the stick.

It was a good experience.

Fugu

A-cho in kyoto, their main line of BB machines was all 50 yen.

and hey, this pic I took during a tournament, you can actually see the 50 yen tag
Well, so much for it saving me money. The cost of a trip to Kyoto will certainly nullify that in a hurry.

It sure feels like it. Are the bubbles almost impossible to DP during wake up set up though? I was trying to test that out and just kept eating the bubble.
Tsubaki's DP has a rather... vertical hitbox; I would be surprised if Ragna can't catch her with his DP and Jin can probably walk up and do any of them and hit her out of it. I know Litchi's works, but it's also a projectile so it works on whiff too since it breaks the bubble and platinum will invariably have to block the staff coming down (although Itsuu is a much better punish for bubble).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the correct use of bubbles is to force people to take a disadvantageous position after they've jumped. Consider the (extreme) example of Hakumen, who has about a million ways to break the bubble on the ground but must block or commit to something unsafe or costly in the air; now you know where he's going to land, so the projectile has served its purpose for a character that has no chance winning a poking fight against Hakumen.

A-cho has nothing on HEY. If I remember correctly this was 17 setups, 34 cabs. Also im pretty sure this is where Fugu plays. I wish I could still play, but I'm back in pittsburgh, where our blazblue scene is 3 people, so of course no one even considering importing cabs
HEY is one of the aforementioned arcades that charges 100 yen for a BO3 instead of a BO5. I only go there when I want to play with the really high caliber players since a good percentage of the top 30 (including the current number one and both of the top ranked Litchis) plays there quite often.

HEY is great though. So many games.

I got stuck in the Digimon vortex for like three days . . .

She doesn't have Hazama's pokes or his meter gain. You can afford to play a lot more dangerously against Tsubaki; you just need to respect shoulder charge and her defensive options.

That air charge thing was blowing me up a lot too, but really I just need to use my head more when I'm actually playing. I don't think it's an impossible match up or anything. And it certainly isn't as . . . annoying as playing against Hazama is.

Fugu

I got stuck in the Digimon vortex for like three days . . .

That air charge thing was blowing me up a lot too, but really I just need to use my head more when I'm actually playing. I don't think it's an impossible match up or anything. And it certainly isn't as . . . annoying as playing against Hazama is.
Best thing I can think of is to make them afraid of charging in the air by throwing your item/safe bubbles more. Getting CH'ed in the air is a pretty bad situation for Tsubaki.

Fugu

1) Awkward movement options.
2) No great answers to long-range play.
3) Limited neutral and mixup options without spells.
Teleport is ridiiiiculous and her poke options are amazing at half screen or less. Her mixup sucks but she gets 3k and carry from midscreen and outpokes... everyone. Being useless at fullscreen doesn't mean too much when so many characters are similarly useless.
Does Nine have a strong wakeup?
Her DP works a lot like Mu's.

Alright good games everyone. Gotta wake up early so goodnight.

ggs guys! Tsubaki's 214B(?) going through my pokes messed with me lol
Was Ares a GAFer too?

GGs guys! Tsubaki's 214B has upper invul. It's actually not that great, but I throw it out anyway because netplay.

I've thought about it and I have no idea what Nine's weakness is supposed to be.

Who's been winning these?

Nine's weakness is supposedly her slow movement, but she fills the screen with crap. Not to mention that she has a full screen overhead, which goes against my instinct. Also leads to a 3k+ combo if done midscreen. Her teleport dash is really awkward too, which I assume is pretty bad once the opponent gets used to it.

Also, the last tourney was won Gato. Zong_One was runner up and kizziekay took 3rd place. The whole tourney is on YouTube and as an added bonus, you can watch me get blown up. They took my name down as Prototype203 by mistake. I can find the link later if you guys want to watch. Rhapsody was in the tourney too.

Does Nine have a strong wakeup?

She has a really bad "DP." She also needs a spell stock to use it.

Also, the last tourney was won Gato. Zong_One was runner up and kizziekay took 3rd place. The whole tourney is on YouTube and as an added bonus, you can watch me get blown up. They took my name down as Prototype203 by mistake. I can find the link later if you guys want to watch. Rhapsody was in the tourney too.
I'll take that link when you find it

2) No great answers to long-range play.

While she isn't a long range character herself, since she can teleport through a bunch of swords, her ability to get into the mid range and harass Nu and Lambda is pretty solid.
Her full screen rock drop move (is that the overhead?) can also used to punish whiffed swords.
While she doesn't have "great" options to deal with zoners like Valk or Hazama, she definitely can hold her own.

I usually watch Saki's Nine at Playspot and he does just fine.
https://youtu.be/IfOdPcOvj3k?t=6m35s

I played him in the later matches and got Astral'ed 'cause I had no idea Noel's AH changed to a counter in CP. Does anyone know if you can throw?
I dont know if anyone ever really tried to throw me out of it, but wakeup astral has been a thing for me since the change in CP. Quick note, when using the old costume in CP/E noel actually has access to both her astrals

I just watched your match with DSMoove and saw that. His combos were pretty gimp, Hopefully once he gets more time hes a strong noel player still

I dont know if anyone ever really tried to throw me out of it, but wakeup astral has been a thing for me since the change in CP. Quick note, when using the old costume in CP/E noel actually has access to both her astrals

I just watched your match with DSMoove and saw that. His combos were pretty gimp, Hopefully once he gets more time hes a strong noel player still

Hmm, I mean to try it out but I keep forgetting. Maybe tonight if I remember.

Everyone was gimp, IMO. I expect this tournament to be much stronger this time around.

Hmm, I mean to try it out but I keep forgetting. Maybe tonight if I remember.

Everyone was gimp, IMO. I expect this tournament to be much stronger this time around.
when did those cabs get there? A few players seemed to really have a good idea of the new shit, while others look like they are still figuring it out. (Only watched a bit jumping around a lot)

when did those cabs get there? A few players seemed to really have a good idea of the new shit, while others look like they are still figuring it out. (Only watched a bit jumping around a lot)

The day CF was released. Yeah, a select few knew their stuff, but the majority didn't know the game that well. I think I had played Terumi just once the week before. Although, I wouldn't have done much better even if I knew how to use Terumi. I'm probably going to get bopped next week too, but what the hell.

Fugu

Because I stopped playing for awhile after CP came out I'm really deficient in some of the matchups. Izayoi, for example, I've played against maybe ten times total and I've got little clue what to do against a defensive Azrael.

Nine's weakness is supposedly her slow movement, but she fills the screen with crap. Not to mention that she has a full screen overhead, which goes against my instinct. Also leads to a 3k+ combo if done midscreen. Her teleport dash is really awkward too, which I assume is pretty bad once the opponent gets used to it.
I've seen a lot of very good players (There's an example right at the beginning of this video) be mostly unable to raw punish the dash when it's used resourcefully, even when they know where the opponent is going to end up. Similarly, I've experimented with a lot of different ways of getting appropriate coverage and I can't hit her out of it at all.

Yeah, the fullscreen overhead is a pain expressly because the vast majority of characters don't have an option and the ones that do can't do it very fast. The trick is, I guess, that Nine doesn't really have a far-reaching low option so SOP should be to block high at long ranges.

Because I stopped playing for awhile after CP came out I'm really deficient in some of the matchups. Izayoi, for example, I've played against maybe ten times total and I've got little clue what to do against a defensive Azrael.

I've seen a lot of very good players (There's an example right at the beginning of this video) be mostly unable to raw punish the dash when it's used resourcefully, even when they know where the opponent is going to end up. Similarly, I've experimented with a lot of different ways of getting appropriate coverage and I can't hit her out of it at all.

Yeah, the fullscreen overhead is a pain expressly because the vast majority of characters don't have an option and the ones that do can't do it very fast. The trick is, I guess, that Nine doesn't really have a far-reaching low option so SOP should be to block high at long ranges.

Hah, that invul stuff. It looks like timing, possibly? The staff went right through. Very similar to Arakune/Azrael.

While she isn't a long range character herself, since she can teleport through a bunch of swords, her ability to get into the mid range and harass Nu and Lambda is pretty solid.
Her full screen rock drop move (is that the overhead?) can also used to punish whiffed swords.
While she doesn't have "great" options to deal with zoners like Valk or Hazama, she definitely can hold her own.

I usually watch Saki's Nine at Playspot and he does just fine.
https://youtu.be/IfOdPcOvj3k?t=6m35s

I've watched over 100 Nine sets, so I feel comfortable in saying that this is a shortcoming of hers. You will almost never have the rock ready at full-screen because you will get it up close, and then you will want to use it as a mix-up tool if that's the spell you chose. You won't want to back off and use it later.

Her teleport definitely helps with Nu and Lambda, no doubt. But if they wait for your dash, it can be punished.

I've watched over 100 Nine sets, so I feel comfortable in saying that this is a shortcoming of hers. You will almost never have the rock ready at full-screen because you will get it up close, and then you will want to use it as a mix-up tool if that's the spell you chose. You won't want to back off and use it later.

Her teleport definitely helps with Nu and Lambda, no doubt. But if they wait for your dash, it can be punished.

IIRC, the rock isn't a spell that you store. It's just a special move.

Ah ok. I'm probably thinking about something else.
Nine-Navy-Pressure.jpg

214C its a lot more obvious than the rock

Fugu

Hah, that invul stuff. It looks like timing, possibly? The staff went right through. Very similar to Arakune/Azrael.
I think it's timing-related but I'd say its difficult or maybe even impossible to be consistent about it. A fair number of players will do it on wakeup even since the odds of catching it aren't great and Nine is so good at whiff punishing.

As for zoners punishing it, this is the most extreme case possible -- who is better poised to punish a dash than a zoning character? For most characters they're more likely to get punished for trying even when the situation seems favorable. The Litchi video I showed above provides at least two examples of this:

In one situation Nine dashes along the ground through a 2D staff set. No other character can do this except maybe Tager if it's timed very well, and Nine gets like double the distance that he does.
In another Nine teleports through the air through a 5D staff set. As far as I know, Nine is the only character that can do this without an offensive action/blocking outside of probably Izanami now.

As far as I'm aware, for Litchi to projectile punish teleport she must use a correctly-oriented shinshin (41236D). This is a pretty hard commitment for a dash and Nine will get 3k/CH combo off of the whiff punish if she misses. Punishing with a raw poke is another story and I bet that Litchi is relatively bad at this since she is relatively easy to whiff punish, but she also has well above average pokes so it should be easier for her compared to other characters.

I think the main thing keeping Nine from having an edge on every character is the fact that her corner oki isn't that good.

Nine-Navy-Pressure.jpg

214C its a lot more obvious than the rock
People get blown up by this shit every second though. There is probably a young Japanese man getting hit by this move right now.

Just a reminder to anybody interested that the PC version of CPEX drops this Wednesday. I'm curious how well it'll do since the PC fighting game scene got really crowded really quickly.

small 17 man BB tournament at winter brawl. I took 5th. Got beat by a friend's kokonoe on last round last match to miss out on the chance to get knocked out of two tournaments by lord knight.

I grabbed it, but the complete lack of mention I've seen on GAF makes me think few others did. Most of the people on my friends list who own Xrd got it, though, which is encouraging.
this port is disappointing coming from Xrd. Everything feels PS3 assets, and I'm getting more Lag than I should be online.

Ah well, being able to select BBCP mode or BBCPE mode is a pretty cool bonus

Yeah the netcode feels weird. Some matches are just as good as the PS3 version but when it's bad it's baaaaaad. I've gotten enough good connections to where I can pick and choose for the most part, but I hope they release a few updates to patch up a few areas. Right now Team Red is ahead of Team Blue on the PC side of things.

And yeah, CP mode is a nice bonus. I forgot how much more I like mode switch Nu than either of the Murakumos in EX.

EDIT:Could you change the menu music in console BBCPEX? Because I just found out you could do that in this port and it's making me way happier than it should.

RoeBear

Yeah the netcode feels weird. Some matches are just as good as the PS3 version but when it's bad it's baaaaaad. I've gotten enough good connections to where I can pick and choose for the most part, but I hope they release a few updates to patch up a few areas. Right now Team Red is ahead of Team Blue on the PC side of things.

And yeah, CP mode is a nice bonus. I forgot how much more I like mode switch Nu than either of the Murakumos in EX.

EDIT:Could you change the menu music in console BBCPEX? Because I just found out you could do that in this port and it's making me way happier than it should.
Yup I've had my menu music changed since day one.

Varth

What's this thing I hear about the game having aliasing issues on PS4? I remember being perfectly fine on PS3. Is this something from launch that is now patched or what?

What's this thing I hear about the game having aliasing issues on PS4? I remember being perfectly fine on PS3. Is this something from launch that is now patched or what?
hmmm, I cant think of any particular issues on PS4, though on PC its not scaling properly at all

cj_iwakura

I got to play BlazBlue Central Fiction at Akihabara. Tsubaki's the best she's ever been. I even beat one guy! Barely. Her new overhead is wonderful.

Top Bottom