• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard: Valve shouldn't trademark DOTA

Dalauz

ahoyhoy said:
This is Bobby talking. Blizzard had 5+ years to buy up the rights to DOTA. They missed the boat and now they want reparations.
What if Blizzard wanted to DOTA to be free & community-based?

Like Valve with NS/DoD in the past.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Definitely agree with what the Blizzard guy said. The move confused me as well and the title no doubt should be available to the community that spawned it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
flarkminator said:
Then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't own everything made with SC2?
Is Valve releasing open modding tools? I'm sure they are, but I haven't read that anywhere.

The mod community will flock to the platform that doesn't claim their work as its own.

DaBuddaDa

BobsRevenge said:
The move confused me as well and the title no doubt should be available to the community that spawned it.
The name of the game, Defense of the Ancients All-Stars, will still be available to the community.

Snow

I still don't get why people are saying that Blizzard should've just tried to get the DOTA team themselves or get the rights to it. It's a little showpiece sideproject to show off the SC2 editor. Since they've only shipped WoL a few months ago, they only now have time for some small side projects. It doesn't make sense to actually hire new people for something like that. And without getting Icefrog or any other people involved with the original DOTA it doesn't make sense for Blizzard to try and make a claim to the DOTA trademark in the past years.

However, if Valve does go forward with their claim on the trademark and gets it, they are in fact under an obligation to ask Blizzard not use the DOTA name. Otherwise the name would lose its uniquely identifying quality and become generic and Valve wouldn't be able to claim the trademark anymore. Blizzard is probably better off just going with another silly pun name in that case, like the other mods they announced (i.e. left2die, Aiur Chef, starjewled).

DaBuddaDa

Snow said:
Blizzard is probably better off just going with another silly pun name in that case, like the other mods they announced (i.e. left2die, Aiur Chef, starjewled).
Defense of the Archons.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
They could have bought it and then released it to the community or open sourced the mod.
That's a 20/20 hind sight fix really. There was no danger or need to do it for years, and trademarking something community probably seemed inappropriate tot hem anyway. Also, using an acronym/sub genre as a new game name is possible, but probably seemed unlikely to them. No one has trade marked MMORPG, RPG, RTS.

The next question is how long they knew about "DOTA 2" and if they had enough time to send in a request themselves. It'd be a good assuption that an official game name from a large quality dev team would get trademarked.

Rubius

Dalauz said:
What if Blizzard wanted to DOTA to be free & community-based?.
Warcraft 3 + the Add on is 35$ right now. You cant play the original DotA without buying a still 35$ game.
Valve hired the guy and registered the name. So that DotA 2 will cost 15$ with steamwork and the steam cloud. Blizzard wanted the Dota player to go buy SC2 for Dota.
I'm not a RTS guy. I played some mission of Warcraft III and then gone on Custom matches and got my fun from this.
Now Dota players have a real Dota sequel with alot of tools.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Dota 2 isn't going to be $15. I could see it being cheaper than your average new release, but I'm still betting it'll be a full priced $50 game (with a bundle discount if you buy 5 copies).

Archie said:
Dota 2 isn't going to be $15. I could see it being cheaper than your average new release, but I'm still betting it'll be a full priced $50 game (with a bundle discount if you buy 5 copies).
That would be pretty ridiculous considering what they're (not) including in DotA 2.

Zertez

I dont see how Valve or Icrefrog can lay claim to the name to trademark it to begin with. Maybe if he was the creator, but he is so far removed from the original creator. No denying he had a large impact on the mod, but a lot of others can say the same thing.

The whole thing seems like a headache trying to figure out which person has the rights to claim a trademark. Im kind of surprised Valve would want to deal with the possible headaches. It seems it would be cheaper to come up with a new name and then spread the word Icefrog is making the spiritual sequel to his version of the mod, rather than throw who knows how much money at lawyers and potential lawsuits.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
FieryBalrog said:
That would be pretty ridiculous considering what they're (not) including in DotA 2.

If they give me DotA with HoN's feature set and dedicated servers I'd pay $100 for it. Regardless, HoN is $30 now and I don't see Valve releasing the game for any less than that.

Zzoram

I personally think Valve only trademarked DOTA defensively. They don't plan to sue anyone else for using the name DOTA, they just don't want to be sued for using the name DOTA.

Helmholtz

I think they should make a movie on this like they did with 'The Social Network'. Call it 'All-Stars' or something :lol .
Also, the whole 'Left 2 Die' thing seems in really bad taste to me. Bunch of cry babies.

Akia

Gabe and Rob will settle this over dinner. I also think this is a defensive move on Valve's part. Both companies respect each other a lot and frequently exchange talent. I believe Valve has a small studio near Blizzard HQ.

I can't wait to play Blizzard DOTA and DOTA 2 next year.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I have little interest in regular RTS games (although I did enjoy the SC2 demo) mostly because I cannot keep up with the frantic pace. I find HoN and LoL to be much easier to grasp since I only have to worry about one unit.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This is evil. Big booooo to Valve for doing this.

DOTA is a community owned game... started with Eul, then several caretakers (like Kegsta), then Guinsoo got in, then Icefrog...

Not cool, at all.

_Bro

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
This is evil. Big booooo to Valve for doing this.

DOTA is a community owned game... started with Eul, then several caretakers (like Kegsta), then Guinsoo got in, then Icefrog...

Not cool, at all.
Wouldn't it be a big booooo for Icefrog for not getting everyone else in on the deal?

It's just business in my eyes.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
_Bro said:
Wouldn't it be a big booooo for Icefrog for not getting everyone else in on the deal?

It's just business in my eyes.

It's Valve trademarking - not Icefrog. Honestly, Eul isn't interested and Guinsoo is settled with Riot. But that's not the point...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
this is no different than what valve did with team fortress or counter-strike or day of defeat or alien swarm. the only change is that the original game creators had already left the mod to someone else, in order to work on their own retail versions of Dota.

_Bro

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
It's Valve trademarking - not Icefrog. Honestly, Eul isn't interested and Guinsoo is settled with Riot. But that's not the point...
They're not interested in getting money? Icefrog had no part in the deal for a DOTA to be made for Valve? yeah right, get real, apocalypse now

duckroll said:
But it doesn't. The art style is crappy, the monsters and bosses are not anywhere as cool, the mechanics aren't better, and there isn't even goddamn multiplayer. Saying Torchlight is better than Diablo 2 is a total joke.

what happened to you man you used to be cool

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
mhayze said:
Warcraft III is great and all, I bought it back in the day, but I don't still have it installed on my PC, nor do I want to monkey around with mods for that game.

"Monkey around"?

You may it sound like playing DOTA on Warcraft 3 involves some sort of installation process or something. It's as simple as finding a game and joining it.

Hmm. bad situation. PCs two flagship companies shouldnt fight like this:(

its like mom and dad having a bad fight, and we're the little kid getting fucked in the head over it:(

Darklord

Banned
ZealousD said:
It's as simple as finding a game and joining it.

"THIS GUY IS A FUCKING NOOB KICK THAT FUCKING CUNT KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK"
"Get this noob out of here! Kick"
"Kick"
"Kiiick"
"Boot plz"
"GTFO!"
*You have been kicked from the game*

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Valve does this all the time, they do it well and they're not assholes about it. If this were Activision Blizzard making a move like this, I could understand people worrying but this is Valve.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Darklord said:
"Kick"
"Kiiick"
"Boot plz"
"GTFO!"

You think DOTA 2 will be immune from this?

Darklord

Banned
ZealousD said:
You think DOTA 2 will be immune from this?

Yes. They've already said they are putting things in to try and stop dickheads and if it's a new game it'll be a fresh start for many players.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
DOTA2's community will likely be a cesspool even with the community features. Telling 5 strangers to play well for 45 minutes or suffer a humiliating defeat creates a very tense atmosphere where people are quick to lay blame on who they perceive to be the weakest link.

Meeru

Banned
Darklord said:
"Kick"
"Kiiick"
"Boot plz"
"GTFO!"
You know how you solve this? Dont suck.

Archie said:
DOTA2's community will likely be a cesspool even with the community features. Telling 5 strangers to play well for 45 minutes or suffer a humiliating defeat creates a very tense atmosphere where people are quick to lay blame on who they perceive to be the weakest link.

It depends on how they do it. There are always going to be parts of the community which suck, but the whole idea of their community system, if I understand it correctly, is to provide a kind of mentoring for new players, and to reward experienced players who demonstrate good sportsmanship and a willingness to help out. It's a pretty unexplored area really, so I don't think that it's fair to write it off just yet.

Blizzard tried something similar with the whole practice league thing in Starcraft 2, but there was no help component to it so it wasn't really all that useful anyway.

valenti said:
You know how you solve this? Dont suck.

For laughs, how about you pick any game that you've never played before and we'll find someone who has been playing it for years to match you against.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
:lol :lol :lol Val

I wanted Blizzard to hire Icefrog to make a DOTA-esque battleground since TBC release, instead of that abomination "Eye of the storm" they put out instead. Seriously, they were getting sales of the battlechest off All-stars for years.

One thing to remember here is this:
Trademark != Copyright

The original creator of DOTA owns the copyright to what he produced, assuming it's not attributed away by licence terms or personal choice. But that's pretty much irrelevant in relation to trademarks, which have to be granted by the appropriate authorities.

DaBuddaDa

Darklord said:
So no new players ever. Yeah, I can't see why some would want a new game then, huh?
Huge leap of logic here. If you're new, you'll be bad, and you'll get yelled at most likely. Suck it up, keep playing, learn the game, keep trying, get better, master a hero, and "stop sucking." Then you won't get flamed often.

His statement is antagonistic and trolling, but it's kind of true.

I'm sick of people using the excuse of a "bad community" to not play amazing games online like DotA and Halo. You can block chat, you can mute voices, you can choose to ignore the flaming. It's sad that so many people let 15 year olds calling them fags on the internet get under the skin so badly.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'll never forget my first game in HoN. I picked Panda (one of the harder heroes to play) and bought 2 recipes for bracers because I thought they gave stats without the other components. I proceed to die to the first wave of creeps and holyshit I got flamed hardcore. I eventually quit and uninstalled the game. I didn't try another MOBA until League of Legends came out and I was able to grasp concepts in a relatively friendlier environment. I eventually started playing HoN again, watching competitive games and reading guides and now I'm alot better than when I first started (still pretty shitty, though)

Also Valenti is awesome at HoN and I'm jealous of his skillz. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Doesn't excuse the blatant trolling!

But val isn't as ragey as most other high level players in HoN so that's okay :3
It's sad that so many people let 15 year olds calling them fags on the internet get under the skin so badly.
Once or twice isn't so bad but when it's a recurring thing it can really get annoying. Dota's gameplay is very tense and there's a high amount of emotional investment, not to mention time commitment, per game. Especially for new players trying to get the hang of a game it can be jarring to meet such hostility. In most other games, flaming is usually directed at one's own team of 10-15 players. But when it's only five to a team then you are singled out, you can feel the weight of your mistakes (since once you start feeding the likelihood of feeding harder increases). So it's understandable why most people reject it just for the community.

DaBuddaDa said:
Huge leap of logic here. If you're new, you'll be bad, and you'll get yelled at most likely. Suck it up, keep playing, learn the game, keep trying, get better, master a hero, and "stop sucking." Then you won't get flamed often.

His statement is antagonistic and trolling, but it's kind of true.

I'm sick of people using the excuse of a "bad community" to not play amazing games online like DotA and Halo. You can mute chat, you can mute voices, you can choose to ignore the flaming. It's sad that so many people let 15 year olds calling them fags on the internet get under the skin so badly.

Your post presupposes that being yelled at and called a fag is the best way to get better at the game, when a much more effective way is having a helpful community to teach you. And personally it doesn't get under my skin, but if I have the choice between playing a game where I'm called a "mexican jew lizard faggot" every 10 seconds and one where I'm not, which one do you think that I'll choose?

Zzoram

The original creator of DOTA copied other similar games before it. This genre of game existed before DOTA, it's just the one that became the most popular.

As for Blizzard, they had 10 years to hire any of the DOTA people but never showed any interest in doing so. Valve hires the guy who maintained DOTA for the longest period of time, so they want the name, and that's fine by me. Even if Valve manages to keep the trademark, I don't see them taking down SC2/WC3 DOTA so it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom