• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM Activists have a Sit-In at Toronto Pride to Fight for a More Inclusive Pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It was a mural for murdered transgender women of colour.

I think, while this was horrible, it isn't something that proves that The treatment of the lgbt community is the same here as other bad places. It only takes one person in a community of supportive people to deface a mural.

We very well could be the same here, (I really don't think we are) but this doesn't show that.

I think, while this was horrible, it isn't something that proves that The treatment of the lgbt community is the same here as other bad places. It only takes one person in a community of supportive people to deface a mural.

We very well could be the same here, (I really don't think we are) but this doesn't show that.

You're focusing on the vandalism instead of the murdered transgender women of colour that were being honoured by the mural. Were none of those victims Canadian? I don't think Canada is as bad as a lot of places, but it's not some utopia either. We have our share of bigots and racists.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
You're focusing on the vandalism instead of the murdered transgender women of colour that were being honoured by the mural. Were none of those victims Canadian? I don't think Canada is as bad as a lot of places, but it's not some utopia either. We have our share of bigots and racists.
Focusing on the mural because you pointed out it's defacement, was the woman murdered because of her identity? I don't know to be honest.

No one can claim anywhere in the planet is a Utopia, and I doubt anyone will seriously say Canada is without a whole host of severe problems in every domain.

But I don't like how every time someone expresses pride in Canada being better than most other places in the world for the treatment of minorities, that it's met with one off anecdotes and a comment that essentially boils down to "it's no better".

Let's leverage our pride for the good things we have done and continue to do, let's feed off the public sentiment that wants to see Canada as a wonderful place, and say "we are amazing, let's be even better".

Focusing on the mural because you pointed out it's defacement, was the woman murdered because of her identity? I don't know to be honest.

No one can claim anywhere in the planet is a Utopia, and I doubt anyone will seriously say Canada is without a whole host of severe problems in every domain.

But I don't like how every time someone expresses pride in Canada being better than most other places in the world for the treatment of minorities, that it's met with one off anecdotes and a comment that essentially boils down to "it's no better".

Let's leverage our pride for the good things we have done and continue to do, let's feed off the public sentiment that wants to see Canada as a wonderful place, and say "we are amazing, let's be even better".

Better is one thing but what's been argued in this thread more than once is non existence.

People have literally argued police aren't bias against minorities like they are in the US. That's factually incorrect, especially in Toronto.

Better is being used as means to deny, to obfuscate.

darscot

Better is one thing but what's been argued in this thread more than once is non existence.

People have literally argued police aren't bias against minorities like they are in the US. That's factually incorrect, especially in Toronto.

Better is being used as means to deny, to obfuscate.

You're not honestly going to say the police in Toronto are as biased towards minorities as the Police in the US? I'm sure there are bad apples but you're talking fucking nonsense.

P.S. This constant use of hyperbole just detracts completely from anything you say. No the police are not perfect but last time I checked they are not blowing minorities away on a daily basis.

You not honestly going to say the police in Toronto are as biased towards minorities as the Police in the US? I'm sure there are bad apples but you're talking fucking nonsense.

Where did I even say that? I said people argue that there is no racial bias period. Like does not mean equivalent, like means similar or comparable. Racial bias here and in US are comparable. Actions not as much .

Though that said Carding in Toronto was actually done against black folk at a higher rate than stop and frisk in the US

Black folk make up 8% of TO's population but was 25% of those Carded.

That's 3 times their population.

Again if the bar for discussion is shut up we're not as bad as the US. Well what's the point of conversation. If the bar is so low that we should be happy just because hey at least they don't murder black folk like the US, again why bother conversing.

Things are better, but better than the US is not the measure I'd run with because being better than the US PD is fucking easy.

darscot

Where did I even say that? I said people argue that there is no racial bias period. Like does not mean equivalent, like means similar or comparable. Racial bias here and in US are comparable. Actions not as much .

Though that said Carding in Toronto was actually done against black folk at a higher rate than stop and frisk in the US

Black folk make up 8% of TO's population but was 25% of those Carded.

That's 3 times their population.

Again if the bar for discussion is shut up we're not as bad as the US. Well what's the point of conversation. If the bar is so low that we should be happy just because hey at least they don't murder black folk like the US, again why bother conversing.

Things are better, but better than the US is not the measure I'd run with because being better than the US PD is fucking easy.

If you can't understand the difference between hassling someone and writing their name on a piece of paper and blatant hardcore racism where the good old boys can just blow black people the fuck away. Yes carding was bullshit and the police carded a much higher percentage of minorities then they should. That shit is wrong and should never be acceptable. You really need to understand the degree of difference here. The discussion is completely open but if you going to talk complete shit there is nothing to say. Keep the discussion relevant and intelligent and you might get somewhere. Bringing up the US police is not the same league, it not the even the same fucking sport.

If you can't understand the difference between hassling someone and writing their name on a piece of paper and blatant hardcore racism where the good old boys can just blow black people the fuck away. Yes carding was bullshit and the police carded a much higher percentage of minorities then they should. That shit is wrong and should never be acceptable. You really need to understand the degree of difference here. The discussion is completely open but if you going to talk complete shit there is nothing to say. Keep the discussion relevant and intelligent and you might get somewhere. Bringing up the US police is not the same league, it not the even the same fucking sport.

Ridiculous. I was speaking of racial bias. As I demonstrated stop and card and stop and frisk were conducted at similar ratios. With card actually being hire. I compared two similar things and yet you come back with murder.

People in this thread have literally said that Canadian PDs don't have racial bias issues period.

You guys are using the US PDs to downplay Canada’s problems and shame BLM TO for opposing the TO PD.

It's garbage. We're not exceptional, we're just better than a gang of murderers. That's it that's all.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What is the path of the Pride Parade? Does it go right by the police HQ? Is there a way that if the parade passes by the HQ that the HQ itself could have a giant banner saying that they support the LGBTQ community and their officers of the LGBTQ community. If the police want to state their support for their LGBTQ officers they can while not in an official capacity of the pride parade.

Wham Bam. Everybody gets their cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom