• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloodborne] 4Gamer Interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki - [Fully Translated]

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date
4Gamer:
Another question I had was if the teams working on Bloodborne and Dark Souls II are completely different or not.

Miyazaki:
They are totally separate teams.

Exactly what I thought. One, the team working on Bloodborne, were the original Souls team with the other one being mainly the Armoured Core team.

I hope the other team are working on Armoured Core.

QaaQer

Best thing I've read about this game.

& IDK why, but interviews with people involved in Japanese games are usually more interesting than the stuff we get from American sources, even when it comes to Westerners working in Japan.

Maybe they have less training in PR? Would a guy like Miyazaki have a handler, like we see with people at E3?

Corto

Great read, I love to have a look behind the curtain on the creative process and creators biography so this was indeed excellent. Thanks a bunch Zefah!

Will this game have multiplayer behind a paywall (invasions/co-op) or have some free online interaction like dragon's dogma (pawn sharing).

Shengar

& IDK why, but interviews with people involved in Japanese games are usually more interesting than the stuff we get from American sources, even when it comes to Westerners working in Japan.

Maybe they have less training in PR? Would a guy like Miyazaki have a handler, like we see with people at E3?

It just coincidentally most of the interviews we got are from enthusiastic creative person. I could said that I found the similar vigour in Chris Avellone's interviews like this one.

Will this game have multiplayer behind a paywall (invasions/co-op) or have some free online interaction like dragon's dogma (pawn sharing).

Iirc watch dogs does not require PS+ so it may be true for Bloodborne as well.

Its because the guy doing the interview is clearly a massive fan of not only Souls but Miyazaki's work. He really does ask the best questions.

mechphree

I like the bit about more active fighting . I definitely felt Dark Souls was way to shield up block swing sword at times. And I like the fact it's a bit faster paced, something about Dark souls felt too weighty at times. I'm interested to see them go Into more details about exploration. I also think this time around co op will probably be a lot more accessible this time around.

Kayant

Thanks OP. Great read.

Looks like paywall because the pre-order listing from the psn store that was posted says "Play Online with Playstation Plus"
article_post_width_bloodbornerelease.JPG

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Miyazaki:
Yeah, I’m getting by. I learned a lot from developing Dark Souls, so I have another person at the director level supporting me on this project, and I’m finding a way to make things work.

Ah, I kind of glossed over that bit, thanks.

Hoo-doo

Banned
"The third concept I mentioned, “new online elements,” is something I can’t talk in detail about right now. The key phrase would be “free sharing of exploration,” but I can’t say any more about it, so please wait for future announcements."

I wonder if this means a co-op mode similar to Far Cry 4 where other gamers can join you without even owning the game. Maybe they can support you as a lost soul, or a ghost with limited interaction.

PS Plus is on sale for 40 bucks for a year

totally worth it guys what the hell
It is silly to have a ps4 without plus.

You don't understand, don't you?

I'm so sick of all you PS plus supporters who advocate the alleged value of this service.
To many, including me, the instant game collection (which is basically a game rental) and additional discounts simply isn't worth the price. I don't either care for the free games they offer or I already own them. The benefits of PS Plus are useless to some. For me in the end it's a $50 obstacle to access mutliplayer.

Stop promoting this glorified paywall.

Minamu

Well, I'm satisfied! I was a bit bummed out at it not being related to Souls but ince they're fairly similar in what matters, the gameplay, I'm not worried anymore ^^ Time to get hyped!

fwpx

I'm so sick of all you PS plus supporters who advocate the alleged value of this service.
To many, including me, the instant game collection (which is basically a game rental) and additional discounts simply isn't worth the price. I don't either care for the free games they offer or I already own them. The benefits of PS Plus are useless to some. For me in the end it's a $50 obstacle to access mutliplayer.

Whether you like it or not, it's a good value. Just because you rush out to buy a game immediately when it comes out, vs waiting for it to come out on the game collection is entirely your problem.

And guess what? Internet services cost money. They have upkeep costs. Sony is not obligated to give you free multiplayer on every video game you play. Times have changed.

Whether you like it or not, it's a good value. Just because you rush out to buy a game immediately when it comes out, vs waiting for it to come out on the game collection is entirely your problem.

And guess what? Internet services cost money. They have upkeep costs. Sony is not obligated to give you free multiplayer on every video game you play. Times have changed.

It's not, it's useless. And I never rush out to buy games immediately. Don't you get that not everyone has the desire to try out every game out there? If I really want a game I buy it and then own it completely. If I'm not interested in a game then PS Plus won't change that by offering it for "free". And I will never accept this paywall if I can play multiplayer games on PC for free.

Times have changed? Yes, so have the agenda of Sony fans.

ClearData

Thank you for the translation OP. Miyazaki's answers have me even more excited for this game. It is amazing how even the interviewer started to get caught up in his own excitement during the interview. This is the game to watch in 2015 in my opinion.

More Bloodborne for me.

Less Bloodborne for you.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

Have you ever considered the possibility that said "Sony fans" actually find value in the ps plus service? I certainly know I do... Personally, I find it to offer ridiculous value for money and I consider it one of the best value for money services in gaming. And that's what it is. A service. And one that has actually saved me money at that.

I understand that you personally don't see the value in it, but please don't try and claim that we "Sony fans" (I'm a playstation fan btw, not a Sony fan) are pushing some sort of agenda. - Doing so just makes you come across as bitter and childish. - Many of us find immense value in ps plus, therefore we already had subscriptions long before ps4. For myself (and presumably, others who find value in the service), the online Paywall is hard to get angry about because we already had ps plus in the first place. Sure, it sucks for people like you who don't have or intend to get a ps plus sub, but please don't confuse our indifference to the Paywall as an agenda.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not, it's useless.
To you, maybe. I don't have a PS4 yet (wasn't planning on getting one until exciting exclusives got announced, Bloodborne sealed the deal for me) and I've had PS+ for over a year (bought at a discount at $30). A few months ago I bought an extra year at a discount for only $34. The free games have totally been worth it. It's great to check out games I'd normally be reluctant to spend money on.

Saying you find worth in a service offered isn't having an "agenda". >_<

I don't like the online paywall for the PS4 either, not on principle, but since I already have PS+ and planned on keeping it, it doesn't affect me personally. And besides, the clincher argument here:

More Bloodborne for me.

Less Bloodborne for you.
Boom. :)

Wereroku

Bloodborne for me aswell. I will probably buy this piece of shit PS+. Fifty god damned euros down the drain just to access the online features of a single game.

Just wait on a sale you can get them for much cheaper around the holidays. It does suck that we have to pay for multi now but psn has been better for me lately since they started charging.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Bloodborne for me aswell. I will probably buy this piece of shit PS+. Fifty god damned euros down the drain just to access the online features of a single game.
Try to get it discounted during the holidays, it goes down as low as 30 sometimes. And instead of seeing it like that, you could say it's 30-50 euros (that does suck that it's 1-1 parity with USD though, wow) for online, free games, cloud sync to protect your saves. Or you could bitch that it's just to unlock a game's online and nothing more, I guess...

Or you could play Bloodborne offline like many did with the Souls games.

Have you ever considered the possibility that said "Sony fans" actually find value in the ps plus service? I certainly know I do... Personally, I find it to offer ridiculous value for money and I consider it one of the best value for money services in gaming. And that's what it is. A service. And one that has actually saved me money at that.

I understand that you personally don't see the value in it, but please don't try and claim that we "Sony fans" (I'm a playstation fan btw, not a Sony fan) are pushing some sort of agenda. - Doing so just makes you come across as bitter and childish. - Many of us find immense value in ps plus, therefore we already had subscriptions long before ps4. For myself (and presumably, others who find value in the service), the online Paywall is hard to get angry about because we already had ps plus in the first place. Sure, it sucks for people like you who don't have or intend to get a ps plus sub, but please don't confuse our indifference to the Paywall as an agenda.

Sorry then.
But I just find it a bit infuriating when people try to convince others who seemingly don't care for PSplus on its so called value.
Many didn't have a subscription when they owned a PS3. They were never interested in these free games but they played mutliplayer quite regularly. These people now have to drop 50 bucks to continue accessing that multiplayer.

Let's forget this now. I derailed this thread enough.

Try to get it discounted during the holidays, it goes down as low as 30 sometimes.

Next time it gets that low I'll make sure I grab it. The less I pay for this the better I feel.

GorillaJu

Not necessarily. Lacking context, I probably wouldn't translate it that way.

What he's saying there is that when you're making a sequel, you already have a base that you can work from, so some of the work is already done. I don't know if "take for granted" was the most accurate way to convey that, but it's what came to mind at the time. Hope the meaning came across. I admit that I took quite a bit of liberty in my English turns of phrases for the translation, but my intention was to convey the original meaning as best as possible. Let me know if anything else stands out to you.

Yeah you always have to take some liberties when translating because of how different the expressions are between English and Japanese. Great work though, much better and faster than I could have done. :)

Miyazaki:
But with Armored Core for Answer, we were working on that in parallel with Demon&#8217;s Souls, so there were quite a few challenges. When Demon&#8217;s Souls was in the initial planning stages, and right around the time it was entering the prototype phase, I came on as the director, and at the time, it was a completely different and very difficult project compared to what it ended up becoming.

4Gamer:
Is that so?
Miyazaki:
Yes. One thing I remember was that the camera perspective was completely different.
At the time, the plan was to make it first-person, or more specifically, a game in which you switched between first and third-person perspectives.
4Gamer:
Wow, really?
Miyazaki:
Yeah. At the time, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was a really big deal, and I think SCE wanted a game similar to that.
From my perspective, though, I didn&#8217;t think we could compete by taking the same approach as Oblivion, so I wanted to focus more on gameplay elements like battles and exploration, and had to do a lot to convince everyone that a third-person camera was the way to go.
4Gamer:
What did you say to convince them?
Miyazaki:
I started by explaining the direction of the game. I just mentioned the focus on battles and exploration, and in order to facilitate those, I knew that a locked third-person camera was the best way to go, so I explained my logic.
Whether you take the environment layout, the object and enemy placement, or the back-and-forth action in battle, I knew we couldn&#8217;t do our best work unless the camera perspective was set. Even talking about the multiplayer elements and other facets of gameplay, I believed a third-person perspective was best. I said a lot of stuff like that, and whatever came to mind to convince them (laughs).

Something tells me one of the reasons sony didnt like Demons Souls at first was because FROM didnt make the game like they wanted to initially.

THANK GOD (MIYAKAZI) FOR THAT!

demidar

I hope there's a gigantic gothic castle with multiple subareas in the game. That way, my Dark Souls gameplay x Metroidvania setting dreams will come true.

BadWolf

Excellent interview, thanks for the great translation OP!

Some really good questions in there, the interviewer was good.

emb

Thanks OP. Great read.

Looks like paywall because the pre-order listing from the psn store that was posted says "Play Online with Playstation Plus"
article_post_width_bloodbornerelease.JPG
I'm ok with this, assuming the multiplayer is at all like Souls. This saves me the trouble of going out of the way to disable my Internet connection.

Top Bottom