• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

Vire

I'm not really sure how the game can really be ready in time. They started development once the DS1 DLC wrapped, that would put it at summer '12, it'll be less than three years start to finish, it's a new IP, and a new generation, presumably with an almost original technology base. Seems pretty short, especially given the performance issues with the teams previous two games.

If it is ready, awesome, but I hope they let it bake as long as needed.

Demon Souls released Feb 5th 2009 in Japan, Dark Souls released September 22, 2011 in Japan.

So this would be closer to three years, with presumably a bigger team/support from Sony Japan. I could see it happening, although Sony's definition of "early in the year" is different than mine. *cough Drive Club*

zewone

I've never played a Souls game and I don't really care if it lets you pause or not, I just didn't understand why anyone would be so against them putting it in considering you wouldn't have to pause if you didn't want to.

Because the Souls games are constantly online and other players have the opportunity to invade you and kill you.

If you can pause the game, what's the worry of being invaded? It cuts off on of the more interesting portions of the series.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/14/gamescom-2014-breaking-down-bloodbornes-combat-system

IGN's writeup of the behind the scenes presentation and gameplay.

Towards the end of the presentation, it was made absolutely clear that the team working on Bloodborne is ‘Team Miyazaki’, the group responsible for Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls.

Words from Producer Masaaki Yamagiwa

“Miyazaki looks at the health gauge not as health. It’s your power of will to go on. And as that goes down you’re plunging into despair but in combat as you get hit. If you think about if you’re in that situation in real life, straight after it happens you can still get your hope back by landing your own attacks. But if you leave it for too long, you’re plunge into more and more despair. When your health reaches zero, that’s complete despair, but until that happens you’re still alive, and you can still go on and get your hope back. And it’s that hope and despair and power of will combined. He just doesn’t see a health gauge and that’s how it’s implemented in Bloodborne.”

Almost ready to say it ....

I'm very conscious getting carried away based on just a few snatches of footage, but Bloodborne already in keeping with Miyazaki's best work. In one section, you're walking inside a dimly-lit building, perhaps a church. Passing through a broken stained-glass window, you walk out onto a narrow wooden beam. I'm instantly reminded of a similar walk made shortly after arriving in the city of Anor Londo.

StuBurns

Banned
Demon Souls released Feb 5th 2009 in Japan, Dark Souls released September 22, 2011 in Japan.

So this would be closer to three years, with presumably a bigger team/support from Sony Japan. I could see it happening, although Sony's definition of "early in the year" is different than mine. *cough Drive Club*
That's a fair point, Dark Souls was a significantly more ambitious project. It fell a little short in terms of polish, but as you say, this is a little longer so hopefully Bloodborne will be more refined.

I've never played a Souls game and I don't really care if it lets you pause or not, I just didn't understand why anyone would be so against them putting it in considering you wouldn't have to pause if you didn't want to.
Because being able to pause would directly interfere with the design of the game's intermittent online features which is one of the best things about the Souls series.

I wouldn't mind being able to pause if you're playing offline, but during network play pausing should not be possible.

You're forgetting the most important Feb release of all.... the game that will make me hold off on even Bloodborne:

Eh, That is easily fourth on my list. Batman games have always done everything slickly and solidly but I have never felt they have stood out in any particular regard. The narrative in particular has felt pretty cobled together. Still maybe this will will be a mould breaker.

So by "less punishing" they were referring to the health regain system.

Yeah, basically.

The actual difficulty of the game is all still there. The weight of movements, stamina management, enemies that hit for half your health, getting ambushed and put into bad spots. But now you have a risk/reward system in place that may save you, or get you killed even more often.

Miyazaki has a damn good statement about the health gauge and how he sees it for Bloodborne. Brilliance.

The actual difficulty of the game is all still there. The weight of movements, stamina management, enemies that hit for half your health, getting ambushed and put into bad spots. But now you have a risk/reward system in place that may save you, or get you killed even more often.

Oh I know. I never doubted Miyazaki for a second. The health regain system sounds really good to me.

Towards the end of the presentation, it was made absolutely clear that the team working on Bloodborne is ‘Team Miyazaki’, the group responsible for Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls.

Music to my ears! Theyve clearly been paying attention to peoples comments about Dark 2 and this is obviously said to calm those nerves. I believe to however based on the way this game looks.

From what we've been told, inventories will work mostly the same. Difference being weapons now have categories (Main hand, offhand) and you can only use them that way.

I'm thinking even that might not be the case.

Miyazaki said that certain weapons can only be used in certain hands, and I am almost certain that relates to the transformable weapons, because obviously that can automatically take up two hands in the case of the scythe/axe thing.

Because if you have the option to pause you'll be tempted to use it, and even if you never do use it it'll still be there and that'll still be some small comfort to you in dark times.

I'm just now catching up to this. This is happening, isn't it? It will be great.

oh_yes_creepy_loki.gif

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I want this to come out in Q1 but Warner don't have a holiday game next year so i would not be surprised if this slips again.

i wouldn't mind a little breathing room, tbh. hopefully BB gets delayed and they use the extra time to just polish the shit out of the frame rate.

Eh, That is easily fourth on my list. Batman games have always done everything slickly and solidly but I have never felt they have stood out in any particular regard. The narrative in particular has felt pretty cobled together. Still maybe this will will be a mould breaker.

i just want to fly and bat graple around... shit was sooo satisfying.

the only reason i would get BB first instead is because i'd want to get caught up in the zeitgeist and play along with GAF

That Playstation Access video has me so hyped.

1) the online is going to be something crazy. Its labelled as "unique online concept" and here's what Miyazaki has said:

Miyazaki:
The third concept I mentioned, “new online elements,” is something I can’t talk in detail about right now. The key phrase would be “free sharing of exploration,” but I can’t say any more about it, so please wait for future announcements.

4Gamer:
New online elements, you say?

Miyazaki:
Yes. Just like with Demon’s Souls, we want to do something cool with the network features.

4Gamer:
I wondered this when I first interviewed you about Demon’s Souls, but do you come up with these new network features all by yourself?

Miyazaki:
Yeah. I mean, I like to bounce ideas off trusted members of the team, and I get a low of new ideas by doing that, but when you’re first thinking of network features, it can be very conceptual and abstract, so I spend a lot of time, comparatively, thinking of them by myself. This may apply to all aspects of my games, but especially with the network features, it can be very hard to get other people to understand my ideas (laughs).

2) The weapons and combat system. Crazy transforming weapons, gunplay, regain system all sound amazing and freshen the gameplay but what really made me go wow is their description of an enemies weakness. So in this place called Gravetown (sounds familiar :p) there are these old ladies with nasty weapons and we can see it in the trailer. The way to tackle these creatures is to roll into them and due to them being old they will stagger giving you time to land blows. This has me so hyped. Combat that is strategic with each enemy being like a puzzle even more so now than before. Usually in the Souls series we saw stuff like this in the boss battles but now it seems it may be more common in other enemies.

3)
“Miyazaki looks at the health gauge not as health. It’s your power of will to go on. And as that goes down you’re plunging into despair but in combat as you get hit. If you think about if you’re in that situation in real life, straight after it happens you can still get your hope back by landing your own attacks. But if you leave it for too long, you’re plunge into more and more despair. When your health reaches zero, that’s complete despair, but until that happens you’re still alive, and you can still go on and get your hope back. And it’s that hope and despair and power of will combined. He just doesn’t see a health gauge and that’s how it’s implemented in Bloodborne.”

emrknjp.gif

Miyazaki still has it in him.....this is crazy man only he could think of such a system, tie the gameplay of it with the lore and player's feeling so well...

injurai

Banned
3)

omfg

I think within six months is too optimistic, especially since early 2015 is already getting a bit crowded. I could see it by May though.
Yea, SNE wouldn't want to crowd out other great games, and considering delays are now typical... I'm thinking we will see Bloodborne April/May, which is a fairly empty slot at the moment.

So that includes which games exactly?

The guy on PS Access video probably misspoke (around 9:20 of the vid). Never got to watch gamescom live but I did some googling and Jim Ryan of sony said it is bloodborne that will be available wi/in the next 6 months. Watching gamescom presscon as we speak, gonna check what he really said.

EDT: well Jim Ryan reallydid said all first party titles shown will be shipped w/in the next 6 months. might be bs.

Portugeezer

emrknjp.gif

Miyazaki still has it in him.....this is crazy man only he could think of such a system, tie the gameplay of it with the lore and player's feeling so well...

That's how I thought about it in my mind when I first heard about this system, but good to know that is exactly his thinking behind it.

Makes sense.

The guy on PS Access video probably misspoke (around 9:20 of the vid). Never got to watch gamescom live but I did some googling and Jim Ryan of sony said it is bloodborne that will be available wi/in the next 6 months. Watching gamescom presscon as we speak, gonna check what he really said.

The trailers were (Order 1886, Bloodborne, and some other game), he literally spoke about Bloodbornes first gameplay trailer, and said those 3 games would be available in the next 6 months.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
as you speak of a game that has not even been released and 3 pretty good other games. Im all for the genre but its not the second coming of classic videogames.
For some of us, yes, yes it is.

I would love to have a souls type game with some fucking color.
Well, the last two ones were called Dark Souls, what did you expect? And yet, we still got this:

So uh... I don't know what you're even complaining about.

With the new footage and info, I'm more hyped than ever. Fresh ideas and mechanics, new weapons, animations, tactics, etc...with the same foundation as demons/dark souls. its gonna be incredible :)

however, there is just no way this is coming out within 6 months or in February lol. Sony is not gonna release The Order and Bloodborne in the same month.

The rolling mechanic has been changed.
When not locked onto a target, when you tap the circle button you do a roll just like in all the Souls games.
However, when you are locked onto a target, tapping the circle button actually makes you do a dashing sidestep. You can actually travel a fair amount with this sidestep, as I was able to position myself behind my target once. It should also be noted that I wasn't able to pull off a backstab. I tried, but I couldn't get it to work.
The dashing sidestep is very interesting, and actually feels like there's a lot of weight behind it. It allows you to move really quickly, but I've found that if I spammed it haphazardly I sometimes ended up in a corner, making me an easy target for my enemies.
It seems that when you use the sidestep, your character actually moves around the enemy, much like in Dark Souls 1 (whereas in Dark Souls 2 you had complete freedom in choosing your rolling direction). However, it seems that you can at least partially control the direction of your dash, as I was able to do some maneuvers (such as dashing in a curve) which indicate that the sidestep doesn't simply lock you into circular movement.

We have answers :)

Great impressions from a reddit user

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/2dkw0i/my_thoughts_after_playing_the_gamescom_bloodborne/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can't wait to start using target-cancelling in order to roll out of attacks (inside of evading them). R3 will be used. A lot.

Epcott

So I wonder if this will feature soapstone messages, hollowfication, invasions, and bonfires? I'm sure they weren't available in the demo.

There doesn't seem to be a hollow form to the main character (thank goodness, I hated that mechanic), but I can see the other aspects being there in some fashion.

Facism

For some of us, yes, yes it is.

Well, the last two ones were called Dark Souls, what did you expect? And yet, we still got this:

So uh... I don't know what you're even complaining about.

#dominated

----

Everything i'm reading about Bloodborne is getting me excited. Loving it bruv.

Primeau31

Any word of Miyazaki himself about the difficulty ?

I'm still afraid this game will be too easy / more easy than Demon's :/

he said back at e3 they're still targeting the same difficulty as Demons. when asked if there would be an easier mode option, he said "no"

ppl worry about this with every Souls game :(

Hayabusi

But there is still no word about how the leveling up system is gonna work, no? (It's still time until release, but just wondering)

Drencrom

Any word of Miyazaki himself about the difficulty ?

I'm still afraid this game will be too easy / more easy than Demon's :/

Posted this in another thread, from a recent interview with Miyazaki:

Miyazaki:
With Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls, we always wanted players to feel a sense of accomplishment. That’s the only reason we went with a higher difficulty.

4Gamer:
That makes sense.

Miyazaki:
And in this game [Bloodborne], too, we want players to feel that sense of accomplishment. In order to make that feeling even stronger than before, we needed another pillar other than just a high difficulty.

To allow for players to feel that sense of accomplishment, the difficulty must be set at a level that players can overcome. Difficulty isn’t something that you can just endlessly raise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840059

I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines that the difficulty will be the same as the Souls games in an earlier interview when the game was announced at E3 too.

Percy

Banned
On that PS access video.. Sony said all the 1st pary titles they shown in the presscon will be in market w/in 6 months? holy wow.

Pretty sure he was referring to the stuff that was trailered at the opening of the show(DC, Order, LBP3, BB... can't recall what others.) only with that, not stuff that was newly announced(Tearaway, Alienation) or stuff like Rime, Until Dawn, etc.

@Wreck

Highly doubtful.

These are the guys who created Demons Souls, on both sides, so they will naturally build a new engine that has the same overall weight and feel of the original product, especially when it is done on purpose as homage to the work they did before.

I think this is a completely new engine that From will likely use throughout the generation. With obvious homages to Demons Souls

lol. I'm sure they are saving the suspense for when they announce this Gamescom Demo to be released on PSN come November for all to play and worship.

yeah your probably right fooled me, i got all nostalgic looking at it

looks fantastic my problem is that it not here now.

Posted this in another thread, from a recent interview with Miyazaki:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840059

I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines that the difficulty will be the same as the Souls games in an earlier interview when the game was announced at E3 too.

And in this game [Bloodborne], too, we want players to feel that sense of accomplishment. In order to make that feeling even stronger than before, we needed another pillar other than just a high difficulty.

To allow for players to feel that sense of accomplishment, the difficulty must be set at a level that players can overcome. Difficulty isn’t something that you can just endlessly raise.

Based Miyazaki. I completely agree with him.

Top Bottom