• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

I really do wonder what some of the Dark Souls players reactions to grass would be in pvp. Get your HP back in less than a second lol and oh second chance as well. PvP battles took a long time for me in that game.

I think Vials will be fast.

Vidpixel

Hmm, the whole health regeneration system sounds really interesting. I am glad that From Software is willing to take some risks with Bloodborne, not that I didn't expect anything less from Hidetaka Miyazaki.

I'm really curious as to how the online will work in this one, as the Souls series has some of the most fascinating connectivity features in the industry.

So no magic and shields are in afterall?
Maybe the shields break easily so we can't rely on them too much?
If they want to force us to use health regain they really need to balance healing items carefuly.

VertPin

Can anyone confirm if the blood vials are more like grass or estus? Hopefully more like estus in das1. I really hope if it is more like grass that you are limited like the estus. Hopefully their is only one type of healing item.

Aske

As someone who liked previous Souls games for their atmosphere but didn't love their gameplay, this looks like exactly what I wanted. More focus on combat skill; less focus on stats. The ranged/melee balance sounds glorious.

elohel

As someone who liked previous Souls games for their atmosphere but didn't love their gameplay, this looks like exactly what I wanted. More focus on combat skill; less focus on stats. The ranged/melee balance sounds glorious.

I can see how making a balanced melee and ranged character from the get go would be appealing or more so than the other games

that divide when you think about it forces your hand in a few ways

Ferr986

well, we could argue Souls games has always been about skills. Thats why some people can clear the game with a naked lvl 1 character while others cant beat it no matter how much they level up.

Stats have always been pretty unimportant in Souls games. Level 1 runs aren't much harder than normal runs. Skill and equipment (weapon) are much more important.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can anyone confirm if the blood vials are more like grass or estus? Hopefully more like estus in das1. I really hope if it is more like grass that you are limited like the estus. Hopefully their is only one type of healing item.

Again, someone who played the demo (or perhaps that exclusive thing the press got to see) said he found blood vials here and there, so it sounds like it's more like grass. Don't remember exactly where I read that though. Perhaps it was in an impressions video.

I would kind of like if they did a day/night cycle that had an impact on the world around you. Like at night more difficult/rewarding enemies come out. During the day things were a little bit safer (not exactly easy though), but lesser rewards. Would make a lot of sense to me, because it seems like the non-human/menacing creatures would be out at night anyway.

Like, having some of the humanoid-type threats turn into these creatures at night or something, and others go into hiding to escape the threat. Would be a pretty cool sight to see.

I was hoping that would be the case in dark souls 2, especially when they showed off the torches and the whole idea of light and dark. Man that was a wasted opportunity. I hope it comes about this time.

MedIC86

So i played the demo on gamescom, few things:

- Game looks beautifull, really nice. Some jaggies but i can look past that.
- The setting is really good, really shows the same stuff in game like in the movies we've seen so far.
- You can see the power of the next-gen in things like clutter on the ground, so much stuff and so much details.
- Combat feels similar to DS,DKS, the combi of firearm and melee weapon works good imo.

But...the game feels a lot easier then previous stuff of FROM. Maybe it was intentional for this demo, maybe they showed off an easy piece but still it was noticable. And yes to answer a earlier question you can pickup blood vials like health pots.

zewone

So i played the demo on gamescom, few things:

- Game looks beautifull, really nice. Some jaggies but i can look past that.
- The setting is really good, really shows the same stuff in game like in the movies we've seen so far.
- You can see the power of the next-gen in things like clutter on the ground, so much stuff and so much details.
- Combat feels similar to DS,DKS, the combi of firearm and melee weapon works good imo.

But...the game feels a lot easier then previous stuff of FROM. Maybe it was intentional for this demo, maybe they showed off an easy piece but still it was noticable. And yes to answer a earlier question you can pickup blood vials like health pots.
FROM has already stated that the Gamescom demo is intentionally easier than what the retail will be.

I was hoping that would be the case in dark souls 2, especially when they showed off the torches and the whole idea of light and dark. Man that was a wasted opportunity. I hope it comes about this time.

The lighting system looks much better in this game:

2622877-insta005.gif

and the nights seem to get very dark

iHYbWhgLy2hUB.gif

So healing is now the triangle button, but in DeS and DS, that was used for 2 handing weapons if I'm remembering correctly. I hope that's still in.

IGN - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/13/gamescom-the-fear-is-real-in-playstation-4s-bloodborne

At the outset of the demo, I was given the option to choose a so-called “Heavy” fighter, equipped with an axe and pistol, or a “Standard” character, wielding a saw and blunderbuss. I went with the latter, expecting more of that ever-important speed I’ve been seeking for these last few years, and I certainly found it. I asked the game’s producers if my notions of Bloodborne’s amped-up quickness was simply a figment of my imagination; after all, some claim it’s no faster than Demon’s Souls or Dark Souls. They confirmed what I already knew: Bloodborne does indeed have speed From Software’s previous games lack, but it certainly doesn’t make the experience of playing any easier. It just makes it different.

I knew this was Colin Morarity before I even clicked the link.

zewone

So healing is now the triangle button, but in DeS and DS, that was used for 2 handing weapons if I'm remembering correctly. I hope that's still in.

I think the new 2 handing is basically using the heavy version of your transformed weapon, such as switching from the cleaver (1 hand) to the scythe (2 hand).

Zukuu

Banned
Game looking reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally promising. Will be sad about the "no metal armor", since I always LOVED how the Soul games did their armor design. However, "no magic" is by far the best new info. I always thought it ruins the soul games and makes many encounters trivial due to the frontloaded damage it does. Hope it stays away from future soul games or is just an added bonus, and can't be used as primary source of damage.

Kieli

The footage is, objectively speaking, amazing.

But I'm losing more and more hype...

Dark Souls II left a sour taste in my mouth. I know this team comprises DeS and DkS veterans, but...

Ugh, what's wrong with me. :'(

Sami+

That look away to the Phantom Pain trailer. Come on son.

Sorry if these are extremely FAQs:

* Is there lock on?
* Are the enemies going to have health bars?

Other than that, looks great.

1. Yes. O while locked on will have you dash/sidestep. While unlocked, you'll roll.
2. Idk the answer to this.

MMaRsu

Banned
Guys remember Demon Souls ran at a higher resolution than dark on ps3. I feel a combined effort with Sony Japan Studios will help FROM in the graphics and performance department.

Top Bottom