• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

Persona7

Banned
Guys remember Demon Souls ran at a higher resolution than dark on ps3. I feel a combined effort with Sony Japan Studios will help FROM in the graphics and performance department.

I don't think very many programmers from Sony worked on Demon's. These are the technical roles. It is hard to tell how involved they were with Demon's outside of the two producers and the few technical roles that are not QA or marketing.

Technical Support Kenji Akiyama, Yihong Lin

Simulation Support Hiroshi Matsuike, Ryosuke Sakurai

Online Game Support Keiichirō Suzuki, Takeshi Hotta, Tomomi Nakamura, Motokatsu
Matsui, Ryota Akao, Hiroyuki Matsushima, Hideaki Tanaka

In contrast to to the large programming team from software.

New short off-screen video

http://youtu.be/ZWSkfM9KgtA

Why won't anyone lock on in these videos?
biblethump-png.25136

Why does everyone want to break the carriages :(

I think this confirms that vials are as fast as grass.

Claptrap

My Gamescom hands on impressions:

First let´s talk about the graphics, the game looks absolutly amazing, sure there is aliasing, but who cares, if the game looks so beautiful.
The frame rate felt ok, I noticed some dips, but nothing to worry about, I am pretty confident the´ll get it to a solid 30 fps comes launch.

Now to the gameplay, it feels like a souls game from the moment you start playing.
Because many have detailed the new controls I won´t repeat them.
Playing the game felt really good, I already love the shotgun, does pretty much nothing from distance, but you can stagger an enemy and deal al lot of counter damage, if you attack the enemy fast enough.
Now if you are locked on you perform a sidestep instead of a role, so while you are near enemys you´ll use sidestep to evade attacks and if you want to get a way a little further you have to release the lock on and use the role.

I was hyped before, I am hyped still, can´t wait to play the game, next year can´t come soon enough!

My Gamescom hands on impressions:

First let´s talk about the graphics, the game looks absolutly amazing, sure there is aliasing, but who cares, if the game looks so beautiful.
The frame rate felt ok, I noticed some dips, but nothing to worry about, I am pretty confident the´ll get it to a solid 30 fps comes launch.

Now to the gameplay, it feels like a souls game from the moment you start playing.
Because many have detailed the new controls I won´t repeat them.
Playing the game felt really good, I already love the shotgun, does pretty much nothing from distance, but you can stagger an enemy and deal al lot of counter damage, if you attack the enemy fast enough.
Now if you are locked on you perform a sidestep instead of a role, so while you are near enemys you´ll use sidestep to evade attacks and if you want to get a way a little further you have to release the lock on and use the role.

I was hyped before, I am hyped still, can´t wait to play the game, next year can´t come soon enough!

You can't dash forward or back but only around an enemy? If so it means locking on effectively commits you to fight the enemy and you can only escape if you unlock.

Sevyne

You can't dash forward or back but only around an enemy? If so it means locking on effectively commits you to fight the enemy and you can only escape if you unlock.

No, he's simply saying you can't roll to get away when locked on. It's just worded a little strangely.

UrbanRats

Lock On= dash.
No Lock On = roll.

?

that's odd, but i'll have to wait and try the game to see how i really feel about it.
I like my roll, but lock on is a must in these games.

Drencrom

What button is used to transform/extend your weapon now that the vial (estus/grass/health) is mapped on Triangle?

Lock On= dash.
No Lock On = roll.

?

that's odd, but i'll have to wait and try the game to see how i really feel about it.

I like it from the sound of it, a bit more realistic that you would sidestep and dash when you're targeting/looking at something. Especially when you have sword and a rifle in your hands.

Sevyne

Lock On= dash.
No Lock On = roll.

?

Just my take on this, but I get the feeling that the roll is being limited because it was far too easy to just roll towards enemies to get behind them mid attack (talking about the roll in the souls games on that).

Im thinking this is exactly what they wanted to accomplish if dashing backwards isnt allowed while locking on. Would fit perfectly with what theyve been saying about wanting the player to take more aggressive approach. I Like it.

No more lock on and rolling away from an enemy defensively while still keeping the enemy in the middle of your screen. Now running away will fell much more like just that, running away. Its either make a conscious effort to unlock and get the hell outta there, or perform a much more dangerous backstep which has to be timed correctly and properly spaced yet keeps you on the offensive ready to counterattack...

Yep im excited still lol

Also I dont if anyone has noticed but in one of the videos it shows what has to be done for a countershot and a backstrike(stab). We all know how the countershot works but I've noticed noone has really commented on backstrikes.

Well in the video it looks to have changed alot. It says

1. Hit an enemey in the back with a fully charged R2 attacks
  2. Wait for the enemey to collapse(stagger).
  3. Press R1 to complete a backstrike.

Skip to 20s for Backstrike info
Seems like theyve completely re worked backstabs again so the player cant dash around an enemy and simply tap R1 for a critical.

Im thinking this is exactly what they wanted to accomplish if dashing backwards isnt allowed while locking on. Would fit perfectly with what theyve been saying about wanting the player to take more aggressive approach. I Like it.

No more lock on and rolling away from an enemy defensively while still keeping the enemy in the middle of your screen. Now running away will fell much more like just that, running away. Its either make a conscious effort to unlock and get the hell outta there, or perform a much more dangerous backstep which has to be timed correctly and properly spaced yet keeps you on the offensive ready to counterattack...

Yep im excited still lol

Also I dont if anyone has noticed but in one of the videos it shows what has to be done for a countershot and a backstrike(stab). We all know how the countershot works but I've noticed noone has really commented on backstrikes.

Well in the video it looks to have changed alot. It says

1. Hit an enemey in the back with a fully charged R2 attacks
  2. Wait for the enemey to collapse(stagger).
  3. Press R1 to complete a backstrike.

Skip to 20s for Backstrike info
Seems like theyve completely re worked backstabs again so the player cant dash around an enemy and simply tap R1 for a critical.

Nice find.

Backstabs are no longer simple as they were in previous games and seem much harder to land. This is a megaton. PvP will no longer be ruined by backstab fishing and you can no longer cheese some enemies in PvE with backstabs. Those R2 attacks take some time to charge so it definitely won't be easy to find an opening. One thing for sure is that critical attacks are will no longer be as common or easy as they used to be.

@DoubleTake: Nope, you can backstep...

Yes we know that. We are talking about back dashing. You know how in Souls game you can lock on to the enemy and still roll back, well it seems you can't in this game.

Kind of unrelated but is someone else already completely in love with the music?

The E3 Trailer immediately caught my eye (or my ear?) for it's music and I recently found myself humming the tune without knowing where I had had it from. So now after watching the gameplay trailer it has the same tune and I'm already starting to love it. I hope From can really deliver on the music front.

Kind of unrelated but is someone else already completely in love with the music?

The E3 Trailer immediately caught my eye (or my ear?) for it's music and I recently found myself humming the tune without knowing where I had had it from. So now after watching the gameplay trailer it has the same tune and I'm already starting to love it. I hope From can really deliver on the music front.

Do we know who is doing the OST for bloodborne?

Lock On= dash.
No Lock On = roll.

?

I never use lock on unless I am on a very narrow bridge or something.

Seems some people just can't handle controlling their character and camera at the same time. I got tons of practice with Kingdom Hearts 1/2 lol. Then more witrh Monster Hunter. People complained about no lock on with that too at first until 2 which added it, but I never had an issue as I just kept control of the camera during battle.

I notice most people will not move the camera during attacks, even though the animations cannot be cancelled out or anything. So for me I attack, move camera if necessary during, continue on.

Torch + 1H axe looked awesome

Drencrom

Backdash or backstep? Bcuz ive seen the backstep while locked on in footage but I havent seen anyone backdash like the sidedash yet.

Yes we know that. We are talking about back dashing. You know how in Souls game you can lock on to the enemy and still roll back, well it seems you can't in this game.

But no one have specifically said you can't backdash? I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to backdash if you can backstep.

Edit: wouldn't backstep/backdash be the same this time around when you can't roll at all when you're locked in anyway? Maybe the backstep (just pressing circle when locked-in) is faster compared to the backdash (pressing circle button while tilting the left analog stick back) but the backdash makes you move further back?

Orayn

Wouldn't photomode fuck up the online?

In another thread (or maybe this one?) someone suggested a photo mode that takes complete snapshots of the entire game-state in a given area. There would be a separate mode where you could choose the camera angle, apply effects, etc. while not actually playing.

Molemitts

I know character creation is confirmed but I wouldn't mind playing as the dude in all the trailers, he looks boss as fuck. More pictures of main dude facing towards the camera would be cool I haven't seen many of them.

I'm hoping the level design is as good as Dark Souls 1. What does anyone who played the Gamescom demo have to say about the level design of that area?

cheesekao

But it says so right there 'when holding a weapon with both hands', maybe you can only two hand weapons that don't transform, or maybe you can hold L1 to do it instead of just pressing.
Some weapons instantly become two-handed weapons when transformed like the axe in the gamescom demo or the scythe in the trailer. There is no dark souls style dual-wielding.

UrbanRats

In another thread (or maybe this one?) someone suggested a photo mode that takes complete snapshots of the entire game-state in a given area. There would be a separate mode where you could choose the camera angle, apply effects, etc. while not actually playing.

Very cool idea.

Top Bottom