• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Kandinsky

What problems are you having with Rom?

It can be tedious, but you can take out all 3 groups of the spiders so it's just you vs Rom. It can be annoying sometimes trying to get in to hit her if she just loops the same attacks like the AoE blast, but it's just a matter of patience really - get in and out after a few attacks, don't get greedy. The ice meteor attack can be either just outrun (watch for her starting the attack then run in any direction) or roll dodged.

Mostly the camera, because I feel like locking on enemies is counterproductive in this fight, I also have to pace my attacks because, for example it skips phase 2 and go all out with 2 sets of spiders on me, hence the overleveled bit. But holy shit I didnt know spider dont respawn, thats a game changer right there, thanks lol

Edit: aaaaand done, thanks guys!

Fuck, I cant beat Rom, what a terrible designed boss fight, and the worst/embarrasing thing is I'm probably overleveled haha

My own incompetence maybe lol

Just kill the adds first - they do NOT respawn (mistake, FROM SOFTWARE!).

Makes the boss 100x easier and thank me later when you face him again in Chalice Dungeon.

sphinx

the piano man
I remember beating Rom with the spiders around,

when I'd reached 30% of its health bar, I'd just avoid locking on the target and I'd run around hitting once or twice with the Holy Sword moving running around like crazy to avoid the rocks falling from the sky.

not the hardest of bosses

xuchu

For anyone who has done bl4 run on ng++ and beyond, is it worth it to use poorman (near death) gems?

Really don't feel like farming them but I can see the logic. If anything and everything is gonna kill you in one hit, might as well make some blood bullets and just go hypermode. I've got a saw cleaver and saw spear with 27.7 physical with kin down and beast down respectively. Along with liberal use of beast blood pellets, it's working okay atm. Just beat Amelia but worried about later bosses.

SDR-UK

For anyone who has done bl4 run on ng++ and beyond, is it worth it to use poorman (near death) gems?

Really don't feel like farming them but I can see the logic. If anything and everything is gonna kill you in one hit, might as well make some blood bullets and just go hypermode. I've got a saw cleaver and saw spear with 27.7 physical with kin down and beast down respectively. Along with liberal use of beast blood pellets, it's working okay atm. Just beat Amelia but worried about later bosses.

You basically know the answer to this question. Yes, it is absolutely worth it to use the gems but do you want to farm those gems? That is the more apt question to ask. That said, you can absolutely make do with the 27% gems and still beat the game at its highest NG level (+6). Beast Blood Pellets and Buffs (on particular bosses) help a lot as things stand anyway. I'd say go ahead and play through with the 27% gems personally.

xuchu

You basically know the answer to this question. Yes, it is absolutely worth it to use the gems but do you want to farm those gems? That is the more apt question to ask. That said, you can absolutely make do with the 27% gems and still beat the game at its highest NG level (+6). Beast Blood Pellets and Buffs (on particular bosses) help a lot as things stand anyway. I'd say go ahead and play through with the 27% gems personally.

Thanks. Yeah I think I'm just gonna stick with these gems. Finding it quite hard but hopefully I'll get into the swing of things again.

Deku Tree

Distortion is so good. First learned about the DS3 ancient wyvern quick kill from him too. Yeah, seen a lot of the skips in the run but not that OoB Amelia skip. Apparently he found it ages ago but it had no use as quit outs weren't allowed. Sick run and I'm sure he'll beat it soon as well.

I'm thinking about going back and doing another BL4 run but I don't know what NG+ cycle I'm on. Most probably NG++ on the character but I may be NG+++. What's the community decided way on telling which NG+ cycle you're on? Mensis cages?

If you haven't sold any then that is the only guaranteed way to figure it out.

Deku Tree

If you spent 40+ hours farming perfect poorman gems (assuming you can kill FRC watchers fast at BL4) then you can be ridiculously OP even on NG+6 at BL4 as long as you don't get hit. But you have to farm them.

https://youtu.be/6fpywbc9Xr8

Not me but someone I know.

jviggy43

I think people psych themselves out with rom. Those ads pose so little of a threat if you just move after 3-4 hits. Plus rom is a joke as well.

Ive bounced off this game a few times, but i always seem to come back to it. I played quite a bit this weekend and for the first time beat the cleric beast and father gascoigne. The combat is so satisfying and the atmosphere is so unique. Its addicting.

Ive bounced off this game a few times, but i always seem to come back to it. I played quite a bit this weekend and for the first time beat the cleric beast and father gascoigne. The combat is so satisfying and the atmosphere is so unique. Its addicting.

Well, you're in it now. Stick with it!

xuchu

If you haven't sold any then that is the only guaranteed way to figure it out.

Yeah, I have 2 on the character so ng2+. Also looked up how blood echoes cleric beast gives and it lines up with ng2+.Keep trying to dodge with x. Too much Nioh. Also that Nioh future press guide is never coming out :(

If you spent 40+ hours farming perfect poorman gems (assuming you can kill FRC watchers fast at BL4) then you can be ridiculously OP even on NG+6 at BL4 as long as you don't get hit. But you have to farm them.

https://youtu.be/6fpywbc9Xr8

Not me but someone I know.

Wow, that was awesome. Glass cannon indeed. Never knew that with a perfect poorman setup you can have an additional 36% physical above 27% gems setup.

I'm back for the first time in a long time. Playing through this game again feels fresh all over again. And even the areas/bosses that frustrate me at very least enthrall me. It's a breath of fresh air after playing DS3 lately. I really dug DS3 but Bloodborne enraptured me.

I know I'm 1/1,000,000 with this hot take but I can't help but vocalize it. This game nabbed a seat in my GOAT, a spot that is dominated by games from my childhood. It gave me that sense of awe that games used to give child me. It's like a drug. A drug that gives you childlike wonder.

bloodborne_2017053019epj52.jpg

Hmmm, I'd rather not.

sphinx

the piano man
Certainly. I forgot the shark men in the DLC. I just cheesed the duo from the ledge.

when I was trying to fight both shark men I had dealt some damage to both of them but ultimately decided to retreat by getting up ladder, just to heal and rethink my strategy.

when I was ready to keep fighting them and went down the ladder, one of them was gone, completely gone, like I had beaten him.

I thought "just fucking great,the weapon will glitch too and wont appear"... to my surprise, I beat the remaining sharkman and got the weapon..

that was a strange but convenient glitch

Melchiah

when I was trying to fight both shark men I had dealt some damage to both of them but ultimately decided to retreat by getting up ladder, just to heal and rethink my strategy.

when I was ready to keep fighting them and went down the ladder, one of them was gone, completely gone, like I had beaten him.

I thought "just fucking great,the weapon will glitch too and wont appear"... to my surprise, I beat the remaining sharkman and got the weapon..

that was a strange but convenient glitch

Apparently you can also use Shaman Bone Blade to make them fight with each other, but I never tried that.

I've tried that it, it works but obviously you have to be close proximity. Easier to take pot shots at them with poison knives, oil urns and molotovs from the ledge. Life's too short to melee these hitbox disasters more than once! :p

Melchiah

I've tried that it, it works but obviously you have to be close proximity. Easier to take pot shots at them with poison knives, oil urns and molotovs from the ledge. Life's too short to melee these hitbox disasters more than once! :p

I lured the first one closer by using the monocular to aim and hit it with a throwing knife. Then I just used the Cane's whip mode to dispatch them.

Clever.

I'm doing a cane run at the moment after the chat about it in the thread and wanting to not just default to saw cleaver every time. I've used it before but never exclusively for a full run. I can see the advantages of the transformed mode which is way better than the saw cleaver, but the transform attacks are a bit slow for my liking. Still in terms of damage, I still managed to rip through easy bosses like Amelia, TOR and Celestial Emissary in similar quick time to saw cleaver - I don't think there's much between them.

Clever.

I'm doing a cane run at the moment after the chat about it in the thread and wanting to not just default to saw cleaver every time. I've used it before but never exclusively for a full run. I can see the advantages of the transformed mode which is way better than the saw cleaver, but the transform attacks are a bit slow for my liking. Still in terms of damage, I still managed to rip through easy bosses like Amelia, TOR and Celestial Emissary in similar quick time to saw cleaver - I don't think there's much between them.

The cane is odd for the fact that as you go further in the game, and especially the DLC, the sword form slowly becomes better than the whip. It's not even a case of different forms are better for different enemies, the whip just stops being as useful in general by the time you get to the blood moon phase.

xuchu

Finally bl4 ebrietas down. Took a lot longer than it should have.

ApGlqmJ.jpg

My favourite boss thematically and perfectly encapsulates what bloodborne represents but she just wouldn't slam her head down. This must've happened a legit 10 or 15 times.

bgiGIPk.jpg

I think I'm going farm for poorman gems (even though it wouldn't have really helped with ebrietas due to the damage aura). Anyone got any glyphs to farm them or do you have to farm watchers for them? I see conflicting information.

Deku Tree

Finally bl4 ebrietas down. Took a lot longer than it should have.

ApGlqmJ.jpg

My favourite boss thematically and perfectly encapsulates what bloodborne represents but she just wouldn't slam her head down. This must've happened a legit 10 or 15 times.

bgiGIPk.jpg

I think I'm going farm for poorman gems (even though it wouldn't have really helped with ebrietas due to the damage aura). Anyone got any glyphs to farm them or do you have to farm watchers for them? I see conflicting information.

http://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/09/bloodborne-top-tier-farmable-gem.html?m=1

Melchiah

Clever.

Good luck. I hope you have fun with it. Oddly enough, I found that Amelia was easier to beat with the Cane's default form, despite of the whip's extra +20% damage against beasts. To my knowledge Amelia isn't affected by the default mode's +20% righteous damage, like the enemies in Cainhurst. I never really used the transform attacks, so I can't comment on that.

The cane is odd for the fact that as you go further in the game, and especially the DLC, the sword form slowly becomes better than the whip. It's not even a case of different forms are better for different enemies, the whip just stops being as useful in general by the time you get to the blood moon phase.

I used the whip mode against all enemy hunters throughout the game, and all the larger bosses in the chalices. It worked very well, particularly in the Defiled chalice. The hardest hunters were those two, who had the same weapon.

Good luck. I hope you have fun with it. Oddly enough, I found that Amelia was easier to beat with the Cane's default form, despite of the whip's extra +20% damage against beasts. To my knowledge Amelia isn't affected by the default mode's +20% righteous damage, like the enemies in Cainhurst. I never really used the transform attacks, so I can't comment on that.

I used the whip mode against all enemy hunters throughout the game, and all the larger bosses in the chalices. It worked very well, particularly in the Defiled chalice. The hardest hunters were those two, who had the same weapon.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the enemy hunters. It was always good against those.

blakdeth

I have two things to say regarding my latest Bloodborne progress (first play through).

1. Forbidden Woods - shit just got weird, no? Snake balls, weird glowing aliens, and sea anemones that shoot lasers. What?!

2. Suspicious Beggar - I think this guy just killed the old woman I sent to Oedon Chapel. Poor old woman, you were a bit cranky, but wouldn't we all be in these circumstance?

I'm completely getting my ass handed to me by
Defiled Amygdala
like rarely before in Souls games. This is one of the hardest fights in the franchise, period. I'm a little on tilt now, I think I'm better off trying again tomorrow. About half her movies straight up 1 shot me at 50 Vit (halved of course).

edit: Yeah, giving up for today. Best I could do was take down about 25% of his HP which is pathetic. I hope I'll perform better tomorrow. I've rarely felt this uncapable in a fight. The DLC fights were comparatively simple.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm completely getting my ass handed to me by
Defiled Amygdala
like rarely before in Souls games. This is one of the hardest fights in the franchise, period. I'm a little on tilt now, I think I'm better off trying again tomorrow. About half her movies straight up 1 shot me at 50 Vit (halved of course).

edit: Yeah, giving up for today. Best I could do was take down about 25% of his HP which is pathetic. I hope I'll perform better tomorrow. I've rarely felt this uncapable in a fight. The DLC fights were comparatively simple.

is this an honor/pride thing or something?

you can summon an NPC outside

sphinx

the piano man
Besides summoning doesn't even really help against this boss, especially not NPCs.

outside the hall you can summon a nearly naked guy with a cannon that WILL make the fight trivial.

I'd rather quit

you don't need to quit or summon

but if you are dealing 25% damage after lots of tries you gotta change strategy, that's for sure, either the level is too low or the weapon bad against it or you have to rethink where you place yourself

DONE IT. BLESS YOU GENIUS YOUTUBE WHO CAME UP WITH THE JUMP CHEESE STRAT.

edit: Holy Moonlight Weapon is my default weapon bad choice for the fight. Once I switched to Kirkhammer, things got easier.

I found defiled watchdog much harder than amygdala tbh, although mainly just because he had a lot more health and it was a slog iirc

I absolutely love this game, the sound design in particular is currently blowing my mind.

I've never played this game before so I'm taking time to farm souls and purchase every weapon that is available and testing them all out. I've only upgraded the saw cleaver and cane whip to +1 thus far.

How many weapons should I focus on upgrading in the first playthrough? I doubt I will play ng+, so should I focus on only upgrading 1 weapon?

h0tp0ck3t

I absolutely love this game, the sound design in particular is currently blowing my mind.

I've never played this game before so I'm taking time to farm souls and purchase every weapon that is available and testing them all out. I've only upgraded the saw cleaver and cane whip to +1 thus far.

How many weapons should I focus on upgrading in the first playthrough? I doubt I will play ng+, so should I focus on only upgrading 1 weapon?

You can get up to +6-7 I think pretty easily but from that point on you should just focus on your favorites. Also I believe you can only get one weapon to +10 each playthrough

Veelk

Banned
You can get up to +6-7 I think pretty easily but from that point on you should just focus on your favorites. Also I believe you can only get one weapon to +10 each playthrough

2 if you do the DLC, plus 3 more from chalice dungeons if you put in the right code, plus however many you can get out of selling your insight.

Ironically, Bloodchunks are more of a hassle because you need 16 of them to get upgrades 7 through 9 for any one weapon. They cost too much insight to be easily farmable.

The only trick around this I know of is REALLY tedious. You find a chalice dungeon that has a Bloodrock available in one of it's early areas. The game will only give you 1 bloodrock, so when you erase the chalice dungeon from the graveyard and reform it again, you will get a Great One's Wisdom in it's place. That's worth 2 insights. You do this 30 times, you can get a bloodrock. But to get 16 blood chunks, you need to you to do it 160. Otherwise, you just need to farm them from high end enemies once you run out of the ones the game gives you.

I personally wish From would give this game one last patch to give us a better framerate from PS4 pro and the ability to just buy the shit we need at a reasonable rate.

Okay, so I want to start a new game in this today, but I'm at a loss for what kind of build/weapon to go with.

In general, I've used Threaded Cane, Kirkhammer, Hunter Axe, Ludwigs Holy Blade, Rakuyo, and Pizza Cutter.

Any suggestions on a new weapon/build to try? Preferably involving stuff you can get at least kind of early? (I think the biggest flaw with Bloodborne is that on repeated playthroughs you are always stuck with such a small pool of weapons early on...)

I don't want to really do some kind of build where I have to handicap myself for half the game not leveling up or something because I need to wait til later to invest in Bloodtinge or something...

Are the rifle spear or boom hammer any good for use as your main weapon?

Edit: Hmmm, I'm thinking of maybe going early game saw spear & rifle spear eventually into Church Pick, dumping points into Skill along the way?

What about Arcane?

I agree about the limited starting options. I often have in mind to do a new run and end up just staying with the starter weapons because by the time you get anything else I'm invested in upgrading what I already have and bloodtinge/arcane seem very limited at the start.

I've still yet to do an Arcane build myself despite wanting to and am not really sure what to start with - maybe the earliest weapon you can get is the Tonitrus in Hypogeon Goal? Not sure. Anyone else done an arcane build and can advise?

What about Arcane?

I agree about the limited starting options. I often have in mind to do a new run and end up just staying with the starter weapons because by the time you get anything else I'm invested in upgrading what I already have and bloodtinge/arcane seem very limited at the start.

I've still yet to do an Arcane build myself despite wanting to and am not really sure what to start with - maybe the earliest weapon you can get is the Tonitrus in Hypogeon Goal? Not sure. Anyone else done an arcane build and can advise?

I was also considering Arcane/Tonitrus. It does seem like a cool weapon, but I have zero knowledge of how to handle Arcane builds in this game

xuchu

I was also considering Arcane/Tonitrus. It does seem like a cool weapon, but I have zero knowledge of how to handle Arcane builds in this game

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3xvg11/guide_the_arcanist_20_arcaneing_with_the_old/

Here is a good resource for arcane builds. They're very strong at endgame, hell they're strong early too if you utilise bone marrow ash and flamesprayer effectively. Have had tremendous fun with arcane builds before and moonlight greatsword for insane arcane multipliers. A bit different playstyle than other souls games due to relying on blood bullets but very effective, at least for PvE.

Top Bottom