• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Deku Tree

edit: oh I didn't see that xuchu already posted it doh i was looking at the last page anyway i posted the videos too.

What about Arcane?

I agree about the limited starting options. I often have in mind to do a new run and end up just staying with the starter weapons because by the time you get anything else I'm invested in upgrading what I already have and bloodtinge/arcane seem very limited at the start.

I've still yet to do an Arcane build myself despite wanting to and am not really sure what to start with - maybe the earliest weapon you can get is the Tonitrus in Hypogeon Goal? Not sure. Anyone else done an arcane build and can advise?

Arcane is the most OP build in Bloodborne if you do it right. Here is the most widely used guide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3xvg11/guide_the_arcanist_20_arcaneing_with_the_old/

The best stuff is in the videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1aoZq5UxLyF4ktul9gq1-tsUuQJVwDf1

This is what you can do with an arcane build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jz7hOP0BAc
Bloodborne The Old Hunters Lady Maria vs 99 arcane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mg8OkVOMX8
Arcane VS Defiled Watch Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtYoPkXQG1A
FRC Ebrietas... In 20 Seconds

It literally makes the game silly. But it doesn't work as well against bosses with high magic defense like OoK.

xuchu

Man, I've forgotten how exhilarating the Ludwig fight is at bl4. Can dance around his first phase but usually end up eating it in seconds when he transistions to next phase.

But wow, even with far less than perfect poorman gems, my atk rating has gone through the roof and it's much more consistent to get staggers and build beasthood meter quickly with transform attacks.

--------------------

Edit: Got 'em

z0U6jgT.jpg

Maria and Orphan at bl4 will be very hard as I forgotten their movesets.

Veelk

Banned
I've been playing Bloodborne for the last few weeks and I just can't beat fucking Laurence.

It's not to say that all I've done is focus on him, because I've been playing other games in the meantime. I think I had a total of 4 or 5 sessions in these few weeks. But still, Larry on NG+ is just ridiculous. Some of his attacks feel like they barely have any kind of cue to alert you, a lot of them can be mistaken for one another, his hitboxes can be straight up horseshit, and he can kill you in 2 hits while having an obscene amount of health.

At this point, I'm fully compliant with the sunk cost fallacy and simply am not going to move on to other areas in this game until he's dead, but god damn, I fucking hate him at this point.

I wish I had a serrated weapon leveled up, but the only one I got is a +9 threaded Cane and I don't like the lengthy attack animations given his fast reactions.

I actually don't like NG+ in Bloodborne. Which is insane to me, because I spent a whole lot of time arguing about how I want to keep my equipment once I beat the game. And I do. I'd love to start the game with Rakuyo or Holy Moonlight Sword or Gehrman's Scythe. But NG+ is just not balanced. Most of the main game has me greatly overpowered for the first few areas and it's only way later that it starts to even out, while the Old Hunters DLC is just has enemies have STUPID amounts of extra health and hit damage. Really wish Bloodborne was on PC so I could use cheats to get the weapon I want at the start and play from there.

sphinx

the piano man
I've been playing Bloodborne for the last few weeks and I just can't beat fucking Laurence.

It's not to say that all I've done is focus on him, because I've been playing other games in the meantime. I think I had a total of 4 or 5 sessions in these few weeks. But still, Larry on NG+ is just ridiculous. Some of his attacks feel like they barely have any kind of cue to alert you, a lot of them can be mistaken for one another, his hitboxes can be straight up horseshit, and he can kill you in 2 hits while having an obscene amount of health.

At this point, I'm fully compliant with the sunk cost fallacy and simply am not going to move on to other areas in this game until he's dead, but god damn, I fucking hate him at this point.

I wish I had a serrated weapon leveled up, but the only one I got is a +9 threaded Cane and I don't like the lengthy attack animations given his fast reactions.

I actually don't like NG+ in Bloodborne. Which is insane to me, because I spent a whole lot of time arguing about how I want to keep my equipment once I beat the game. And I do. I'd love to start the game with Rakuyo or Holy Moonlight Sword or Gehrman's Scythe. But NG+ is just not balanced. Most of the main game has me greatly overpowered for the first few areas and it's only way later that it starts to even out, while the Old Hunters DLC is just has enemies have STUPID amounts of extra health and hit damage. Really wish Bloodborne was on PC so I could use cheats to get the weapon I want at the start and play from there.

if I remember correctly Laurence has two hit points on which you can hit him, central body and head. Can't remember which one stuns him after a couple of hits but you should definitely hit that body part.

Also, like all beasts, you have to stay near, circle the beast and only attack when there's time/space for it.

dealing little damage always indicates either too low of a level or wrong/bad weapon. IMO, Laurence, Ludwig and OoK are best fought when in the hundreds.

also, why can't you upgrade a serrated weapon? if this is a NG+ shouldn't you have some resources?

during the last part of the fight, I suggest unlocking the target and using a quick weapon (I used ludwig's holy sword) running around the lava to hit 2 or 3 times, move away and repeat

zoodoo

Christ, I can already tell Logarius is going to be annoying.

He's not that bad.
First phase, dash under the fireballs, hit and backoff as he'll do the explosion.

Second phase, parry as much as possible, dash under his attacks and hit him.

Third phase, destroy the sword he puts on the ground as soon as possible. It will stun you otherwise and leave you open to his attacks. Then repeat phase 2.

Veelk

Banned
Actually, no, I give up. Fuck Laurence. Fuck his shitty ass hitboxes, fuck his nearly identical attack cues that pick what they're going to do at fucking random, fuck his bullshit hitboxes that somehow avoid my weapons even though I'm goddamn next to him. Maybe once I get enough stones to upgrade a serrated weapon so I can really lay into him damage wise, but he's just fucking genuinely goddamn cheap and I wouldn't get any satisfaction from killing him at this point.

Edit: Well, I got him, but I cheated. I forgot all about summoning until now. Well, I summoned Valtr and together, we took down the beast.

Even here, it was a close call. Valtr died at the tail end of the fight, so I had to finish off the last tenth of him myself. It was pretty nerve racking, but I did it.

Fuck Larry.

He's not that bad.
First phase, dash under the fireballs, hit and backoff as he'll do the explosion.

Second phase, parry as much as possible, dash under his attacks and hit him.

Third phase, destroy the sword he puts on the ground as soon as possible. It will stun you otherwise and leave you open to his attacks. Then repeat phase 2.

I ended up just calling for help. It was just too hard.

I did just beat the spider on my own though. The sequence leading up to it, including the boss, were fucking amazing by the way.

xuchu

Really enjoying the playstyle of poorman gems on my bl4 Ng++ run. Often when taking a hit before, it would disrupt the rhythm of the fight that is desperately needed at bl4 and bosses would often kill me as I was making space or attempting to heal. Being low life hypermode simply takes that out of the picture. Even though there's less room for mistakes, my damage has skyrocketed and I can consistently stagger bosses after certain openings. Beast blood pellets and papers helping significantly too. The winning run is often over very quick but, of course, takes a lot of effort and deaths before that. But I would much rather die to a boss 80 times in 20 seconds than die 20 times in 8 minutes.

EUkFCyd.jpg

Maria wasn't as bad as I thought she would be and really didn't take too long. Unlike a normal levelling run where it's over in a few parries, bl4 parries do no damage so that's out of the question. I have seen some people parry fish in the first phase but that's suspectible to RNG and more often than not you'll get killed by her delayed overhead attack. Ive always found much more success doing a saw cleaver R1-L1-L1-L1 combo on my bl4 character. It consistently staggers her out of her delayed overhead and you can use it all the way to her final phase.

Her final phase is very hard to deal with when low life but it's very rewarding to notice the subtle tells she has during her charge attacks. For example she draws her sword close to her chest when going for the poke or a small pivot when going for the iai slash. Staying away and baiting these attacks, then going for a backstab is my preferred strategy.

nZStmwy.jpg

This took a very long time. Had, and have always had, a lot of trouble with Laurence. Most other bl4 runners bait and loop the falling attack during phase 2 by hugging behind his left leg, but it has never really worked out for me as once you're out of that position it's hard to reset the loop.

My strat, which is helped infinitely by poorman gems is to immediately break his leg with 3 R1s, back away then R1-L1-L1. This works as he will always go for a fist slam (which you can just run under) when starting the fight. This immediately puts him into the hidden phase 2 where he is more aggressive and gain several new attack strings. What you want to look out for is the 3 hit ground pound (he starts off with his weaker hand) and dash into during the last hit and do a charged R2 to stagger him and then go for another charged R2 into visceral. Another easy punish is during his falling 4 hit combo. There is enough time, between his 1st and 2nd attacks, to dash behind him and go for a big transform attack combo.

When in final phase, simply circle strafe to the left to avoid his crawling attack and dash into his swipes for 3 hits. His delayed left hand slam is always followed by a quick left hand swipe that can be punished as well. You can also go for a big transform attack combo when he is shitting out lava. 3 hits to his right side when spitting out lava.

Very fun and rewarding fight that actually has a lot of subtle telegraphs. As always base level runs force you to learn and dissect them.

Now on to orphan, who is arguably the hardest boss in the series for base level runners.

What's a good strategy for the living failures? I'm on NG at level 80 with a +9 saw cleaver and their health bar is just too big. I'm barely dealing any damage, even with bolt paper. I'd thought they'd be like the four kings and when you killed one they wouldn't respawn. But they just keep coming back.

What's a good strategy for the living failures? I'm on NG at level 80 with a +9 saw cleaver and their health bar is just too big. I'm barely dealing any damage, even with bolt paper. I'd thought they'd be like the four kings and when you killed one they wouldn't respawn. But they just keep coming back.
Just concentrate on one at a time, they canbe parried and backstabbed. Pop a beast blood pellet as well as using bolt paper.

If it rains meteors, use the central flower to hide behind, they always come from the same direction. I would also recommend having a +10 by that point.

xuchu

A good strategy is to kill the first living failure as you enter the arena then slightly to the left another one will spawn in. You can simply spawn camp and kill them as they are rising out of the ground all the way until their entire shared life pool is depleted. They will keep on spawning in that position if you have enough damage to burst them down while they're spawning in. Use beast blood pellets and bolt paper as they additional damage from it.

The only thing you have to really worry about is one other living failure shooting spells at you. There are two spells it will use. One slow moving projectile that is easy to dodge and another homing soul mass type of attack which is a bit trickier. Simply leave him alive to do his own thing while killing the spawning clones.

Also you really should have a +10 weapon by this point. Look up how to drop the brain of mensis and get a blood rock if you haven't done that yet. Good luck.

edit: oh I didn't see that xuchu already posted it doh i was looking at the last page anyway i posted the videos too.

Arcane is the most OP build in Bloodborne if you do it right. Here is the most widely used guide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3xvg11/guide_the_arcanist_20_arcaneing_with_the_old/

The best stuff is in the videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1aoZq5UxLyF4ktul9gq1-tsUuQJVwDf1

This is what you can do with an arcane build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jz7hOP0BAc
Bloodborne The Old Hunters Lady Maria vs 99 arcane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mg8OkVOMX8
Arcane VS Defiled Watch Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtYoPkXQG1A
FRC Ebrietas... In 20 Seconds

It literally makes the game silly. But it doesn't work as well against bosses with high magic defense like OoK.
Holy shit.

Melchiah

Use Beast Blood Pellets to increase the damage.

blakdeth

Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village and Chapel are really kicking my ass. I finally beat the three hunters in Yahar'Gul Chapel, but I'll be damned if I didn't have to draw them back to the lantern one by one to defeat them.

Anura

Yahar'Gul, Unseen Village and Chapel are really kicking my ass. I finally beat the three hunters in Yahar'Gul Chapel, but I'll be damned if I didn't have to draw them back to the lantern one by one to defeat them.

What I usually do with those guys is run past them and go left and up the stairs right outside the chapel. There's a bell ringing woman that I kill and that places me right in the range where two of the three hunters are leashing back but the lance once hasn't yet. I kill him and then lure the claw one away and kill him first because the third hunter usually likes to stick close to the lantern.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

That's normal, especially for a first playthrough. Don't feel bad. :)

xuchu

Holy fuck! I finally did it. Orphan phase 2 is insane and I'm still shaking. Took him to backstab city when he gave me good RNG with his jumping attacks.

BL4 NG++ all bosses run pretty much done. I'll finish off MP and push it to the next NG+ cycle. Learnt and re-learnt a lot of new strategies on this run, as well as seeing the power of poorman gems firsthand. Will come back to this wonderful game sometime next year. Want to do an 'embrace the blood' playthrough and go full beast.

wLKOpZh.jpg

6zlsPki.jpg

jwYq3oD.jpg

Remember the adage: "Fear the old blood"
to the point where you don't level up T_T

Holy fuck! I finally did it. Orphan phase 2 is insane and I'm still shaking. Took him to backstab city when he gave me good RNG with his jumping attacks.

BL4 NG++ all bosses run pretty much done. I'll finish off MP and push it to the next NG+ cycle. Learnt and re-learnt a lot of new strategies on this run, as well as seeing the power of poorman gems firsthand. Will come back to this wonderful game sometime next year. Want to do an 'embrace the blood' playthrough and go full beast.

http://i.imgur.com/wLKOpZh.jpg[/]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/6zlsPki.jpg[/]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jwYq3oD.jpg[/]

Remember the adage: "Fear the old blood" [spoiler]to the point where you don't level up T_T[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Congrats! I barely managed a level 4 run in a clean new game, I don't think I'll ever want to do the dlc map in ng+ and beyond. The poorman gems are the best for sure, though I only got decent ones from the ghost ladies. More often I stuck to a set of fool's gems for a similar effect at full health, letting me handle a few fuckups during boss fights.

jwYq3oD.jpg

Jesus, I struggled at Lv 60 when I finished the game. I salute you dear Huner

Veelk

Banned
Congratulations to Xuchu. That must take an insane amount of skill and patience. I'm vastly overleveled and I ended up summoning for Laurence because I thought he was just too much of a hassle.

I'm entertaining the idea of starting a new game, but I would never try to do a low-level souls run. Part of the fun for me is leveling up and getting tough so that you can take the enemy head on.

Dynedom

I'm struggling to beat martyr logarius solo, any tips?
edit: gave up, summoned help and killed him.

If you're thinking of another run, it really is all about Parrying. Even in the first phase, you can bait a staff swing and parry him.

I usually went in with runes that boost Viscerals and restore health on Viscerals. He never even resorted to the attack where he summons swords.

edit: You probably don't want to be as stupidly aggressive as I was in the first phase, lol.

Fuck Ludwig, 50+ attempts and can't even get to second phase.

The only boss I've never killed without summoning in an NPC. First phase is just straight ridiculous.

edit: It's incredible how some bosses in this game can flip from impossible to easy depending on weapons/build. A Bowblade, for example, destroys Laurence.

sphinx

the piano man
about ludwig, 95% of the time it will start by doing a jump attack near you, just prepare accordingly and hit him hard with a strong, transformed weapon, I had the axe which has great range<->damage ratio.

after that, you have to keep to its side, there are spaces near/around him where some of his attacks don't hit. Also, not sure how it's done but you have stun him, your attacks when its stunned deal a ton of damage.

if all you do is keep distance and heal out of panic, that's exactly what you shouldn't do.

If you're thinking of another run, it really is all about Parrying. Even in the first phase, you can bait a staff swing and parry him.

I usually went in with runes that boost Viscerals and restore health on Viscerals. He never even resorted to the attack where he summons swords.

edit: You probably don't want to be as stupidly aggressive as I was in the first phase, lol.

The only boss I've never killed without summoning in an NPC. First phase is just straight ridiculous.

edit: It's incredible how some bosses in this game can flip from impossible to easy depending on weapons/build. A Bowblade, for example, destroys Laurence.

It's his charge attack that keeps getting me.

I can get him down to 60% without being touched and then he charges, I just can't get the timing down.

Dynedom

I can get him down to 60% without being touched and then he charges, I just can't get the timing down.

I unfortunately think the only way to avoid the charge is to stick close to him. The timing on the dodge, if I remember correctly, is ludicrous otherwise. I believe it has a semi-homing capability so you have to dodge at a very particular point. Kinda like Watchdog.

edit: Actually I don't think sticking close to him avoids it. It might be one of his escapes. Ugh.

Weiss

Banned

This is going to sound stupid, but trust me; you need to stick to him. If you give him too much distance he'll do his charge attack and that's too much of a pain to dodge.

Whenever he does his jump run for the stairs. I found I was able to pretty consistently dodge as long as I did that.

What weapon are you using? I use Saw Spear with Fire Paper for max damage.

wLKOpZh.jpg

6zlsPki.jpg

jwYq3oD.jpg

Grats man!!!

Wondering what was the hardest boss for you on BL4 NG++? Kos, Ludwig or Laurence?

sphinx

the piano man
to avoid ludwig's jump attack, isn't it all about starting to run quickly in any direction after he jumps?

also, the charge attack is precisely the reason it's a bad idea to stay too far from him, I don't think it does it as often (if at all) when you are moving around him

I loved the boss fights in The Old Hunters but I didn't feel like the environment or exploration was better than in the main game. On par mostly, other than the last area which was frankly below the game's standard.

I feel like all three Dark Souls 2 DLCs were better, but to be fair, they are spectacular.

Maria
and
The Orphan of Kos
were extremely memorable and engaging fights though. Some of the best I've ever played honestly.

to avoid ludwig's jump attack, isn't it all about starting to run quickly in any direction after he jumps?

also, the charge attack is precisely the reason it's a bad idea to stay too far from him, I don't think it does it as often (if at all) when you are moving around him

Wait for a moment, then evade, if run or evade earlier, you can be still hit and sometimes hit twice and die. Ludwig cast a shadow and sound before landing

I loved the boss fights in The Old Hunters but I didn't feel like the environment or exploration was better than in the main game. On par mostly, other than the last area which was frankly below the game's standard.

The exploration is simplified , like normal rute plus optional area in each area, I think the biggest area to explore is the research hall where the small rooms have some unique gear if you explore it fully and is the place of a long sidequest that unlocks an extra area after being completed

gogosox82

wLKOpZh.jpg

6zlsPki.jpg

jwYq3oD.jpg

That's seriously impressive congrats.

I've given up, over 100 attempts at Ludwig now.

I have a small child at home and just don't have the time.

Don't understand why they made the first DLC boss so difficult, immeasurably harder than anything in the main game.

jviggy43

Don't understand why they made the first DLC boss so difficult, immeasurably harder than anything in the main game.

Because thats what the majority of us want! That fight wouldn't be as memorable if he wasn't such a bastard. If you want a summon for help I can jump on btw. I always am looking for an excuse to boot the game up again.

I did it! I went arcane! I've finally got the Tonitrus and it is doing awesome so far (at like 32 arc, 12 str) I have pretty much ignored Vit and End so far, so I'm going to start pumping them finally.

Any suggestions on other weapons to use? A regular weapon to use the fire gem you get early on? I'm thinking the regular saw blade because I never really used it, but its kinda boring. I don't want to use saw spear because I just used it to death in my previous playthrough. Can the beast cutter be used to good effect in an arcane build?

Edit: Well, I did some research, and I definitely want to try the beast cutter, but is there any easy way to get a triangle fire gem?

xuchu

Grats man!!!

Wondering what was the hardest boss for you on BL4 NG++? Kos, Ludwig or Laurence?

Easily kos. Was about to quit when this happened:

4GZVHAs.jpg

Hardest boss for base game BL4 is either shadows of yharnam or ebrietas. Ebrietas is particularly infuriating when base level as you're only baiting one move (head slam) and punishing that, while avoiding all others. She also has a lot of other moves that she can use while in headslam range so this means that a winning run against her is largely dictated by RNG and the amount of head slams she decides to do at the start. Most, if not all, other bosses have multiple moves that you can safely punish. While I can dodge her charge at mid and long range consistently, if she decides to do it close range or starting after a punish there's little that you can do about it.

There are other close range tactics that you can use but I've always found that I get clipped by her tentacles which does 95% of my life if it doesn't outright kill me. She also has a damage aura in phase 3 which essentially prevents you using near death or full hp gems.

h0tp0ck3t

I did it! I went arcane! I've finally got the Tonitrus and it is doing awesome so far (at like 32 arc, 12 str) I have pretty much ignored Vit and End so far, so I'm going to start pumping them finally.

Any suggestions on other weapons to use? A regular weapon to use the fire gem you get early on? I'm thinking the regular saw blade because I never really used it, but its kinda boring. I don't want to use saw spear because I just used it to death in my previous playthrough. Can the beast cutter be used to good effect in an arcane build?

Edit: Well, I did some research, and I definitely want to try the beast cutter, but is there any easy way to get a triangle fire gem?

There is a triangle nourishing gem in that poison swamp part of the forbidden woods that works for an early arcane setup

xuchu

Here is a good video that shows you Ludwig phase 1 moveset and attacks. You can be a lot more aggressive but he keeps it simple and it's a good baseline when first fighting and learning the boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZ_QQeAUMQ

about ludwig, 95% of the time it will start by doing a jump attack near you, just prepare accordingly and hit him hard with a strong, transformed weapon, I had the axe which has great range<->damage ratio.

after that, you have to keep to its side, there are spaces near/around him where some of his attacks don't hit. Also, not sure how it's done but you have stun him, your attacks when its stunned deal a ton of damage.

if all you do is keep distance and heal out of panic, that's exactly what you shouldn't do.

This is absolutely correct. Ludwig is a brilliantly designed boss that can and should be fought aggressively. He has very good hit boxes and has multiple stun locations when doing sustained damage to a particular body part, which also accommodate an aggressive play style very well too. He can be stunned on his right side, left side, face and back (although you want to avoid targeting his back because he has a mule kick move that he uses if you are directly behind him). Try to focus on other body parts after stunning him as I think it's harder the stun the same side again but IIRC it can be done.

He will always start off with a leap slam. The hitbox is his right hand and is surprisingly small, so you can easily punish by dashing into his right side and doing full transform combo. If leveling normally and on first NG cycle, you can instantly stun him and run your stamina out. His 4 hit attack string, where he starts with a delayed right to left (his right) slash is also an opportunity to punish his right side. Your positioning relative to him will dictate his follow up after the delayed slash. If close range he will do a quick headbutt. This is quite hard to punish but can be done. If mid to long range he will follow up with a delayed left to right slash. There is ample time to dash into his right side in between the first and second attack of the string and once again punish. He has a similar 4 hit attack string that starts with a quick diagonal right to left slash. You can essentially walk under this attack and punish his right side.

If at close range and hanging around near his face, he will either use a quick headbutt or a 3 hit trample combo. The trample combo consists of two hoof stomps and a delayed left to right slash. You can dash into his left side in between the hoof stomps and the slash and punish his left side and hopefully stun him. He also has a 5 hit bite combo. The first two hits track you so back dash but the next 3 hits have a forward momentum set already. So you can side dash it in between the 2nd and 3rd hits and punish accordingly.

When under 80%hp, he will gain a few new attacks. He has two geyser attacks. One quick one that he shoots straight at you. You can side dash to either side to avoid this. The other one is a slow sweeping geyser going from his right to left. You can lock off and run to his left side and punish by attack either his horse face or left side.

He has two jump attacks that he will use when under 80%hp. One quick jump and one delayed jump. For the quick jump, you can turn around and roll and i-frame the hitbox and punish with a quick hit to his face. The delayed jump has a lot of telegraphs. When starting he will raise his hind legs up. There are also two blood pools dripping from the celing that tells you when he will drop. Simply running in a straight line with the camera looking behind you to see the dripping blood. It will go drip...drop...roll and punish his face same as the quick attack.

If staying at long range, he will use his charge tackle. There is a subtle telegraph on this attack. He will exhale a puff of yellow gas, scream and then tackle. You can generally sidestep once to either side to dodge this but sidestep twice just to be safe.

This is just off the top of my head and I'm probably missing things but hope this helps people struggling with phase 1 Ludwig. Fight and die to him enough times and everything slows down and you'll start seeing tells a lot more clearly but that goes for any of the bosses in this game.

Top Bottom