• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Yahar'gul.

It's quite straight forward, but because it's dark in places there's a couple of spots and doorways that might go unnoticed, just explore and have a look around, it's not too labyrinthian.

Tip re: respawning enemies:
Kill the bell maidens to stop the nearby enemies respawning

Any reason you need to finish Cainhurst before doing Rom?

Does it screw up the Alfred stuff at all?

I'm having trouble with Martyr using an arcane build and rather than continue banging my head against that wall, I'd rather move on to other stuff at the moment, but I'm at Bergenwerth and/or DLC continuation. I'd rather just get past Rom and get further to upgrade an such and go back to Cainhurst when I'm ready. But I don't want to screw up Alfred stuff and miss the Wheel

Any reason you need to finish Cainhurst before doing Rom?

Does it screw up the Alfred stuff at all?

I'm having trouble with Martyr using an arcane build and rather than continue banging my head against that wall, I'd rather move on to other stuff at the moment, but I'm at Bergenwerth and/or DLC continuation. I'd rather just get past Rom and get further to upgrade an such and go back to Cainhurst when I'm ready. But I don't want to screw up Alfred stuff and miss the Wheel

Cainhurst is a late game zone around 50 lv boss and there is no reason to do it in an order.

Doesnt change Alfred sidequest but moves it forward since after clearing that zone you can talk to him again to go cainhurst

Mogwai

I got an extra code for the dynamic Bloodborne theme from the Future Press guide. Throw me a private message if you're interested.

Edit: Taken.

I'm running through Bloodborne for the first time and I'm using a skill build. Is it worthwhile for me to throw some point into arcane to use a couple of the low requirement hunter tools or am I better off throwing my points into bloodtinge? I guess I could do a quality build and put points into strength? Is that even a thing in Bloodborne?

I'd argue that arcane and bloodtinge are either all in or ignore stats. Quality actually works out very well with certain weapons (Ludwig's Holy Blade comes to mind).

If this is your first time playing, I'd say focus on health, stamina til at least 20, and whichever stat you find weapons more interesting in, which you already started on skill. Pump that to like 25, or just keep going if you've found a pure skill weapon you really like, like threaded cane

I'd argue that arcane and bloodtinge are either all in or ignore stats. Quality actually works out very well with certain weapons (Ludwig's Holy Blade comes to mind).

If this is your first time playing, I'd say focus on health, stamina til at least 20, and whichever stat you find weapons more interesting in, which you already started on skill. Pump that to like 25, or just keep going if you've found a pure skill weapon you really like, like threaded cane

I'm at that point actually 30 Vit, 20 End, and 20 Skill. I'm staring at the Chikage and Reiterpallasch wondering if I should put some points into bloodtinge to use them or just fully commit to skill. I like the Blade of Mercy and Saw Spear well enough, but I wouldn't mind switching to something else for a while.

I really wish I could respec then I could comfortably try a different build each NG+ and not have to worry about finding the weapon first in fresh run. These Bloodtinge weapons come pretty late to be designing a build around them.

I'm at that point actually 30 Vit, 20 End, and 20 Skill. I'm staring at the Chikage and Reiterpallasch wondering if I should put some points into bloodtinge to use them or just fully commit to skill. I like the Blade of Mercy and Saw Spear well enough, but I wouldn't mind switching to something else for a while.

I really wish I could respec then I could comfortably try a different build each NG+ and not have to worry about finding the weapon first in fresh run. These Bloodtinge weapons come pretty late to be designing a build around them.

To be honest you need a dedicated build right at the start for Bloodtinge weapons, Chikage needs a lot of points , like 30 to deal moderate damage.

Looking at your starts you can easily go Str or Skll but a little too late for BT or ARC

jviggy43

No way jose. Arcane/Str & Bld/Skill are my two favorite build types in this game.

No way jose. Arcane/Str & Bld/Skill are my two favorite build types in this game.

I didn't say anything about that, all I said was you have to go all in with those stats, you are going to want 50 arc or 50 blt to make waves with them

For a person on their first run to start on those stats halfway through is just going to throttle them power-wise

I went all in on Skill so the point is moot now, but its worked out pretty well so far. Burned down Mergo's Wet Nurse on the first try and all three times I've been invaded I won. Pretty sure the people invading me were no good though. If I had one complaint about my build it is that the Blade Mercy lacks some range, so on occasion I find myself missing an attack when I attack out of a dodge. Its not a bad trade off though considering the crazy damage it seems to do.

jviggy43

I didn't say anything about that, all I said was you have to go all in with those stats, you are going to want 50 arc or 50 blt to make waves with them

For a person on their first run to start on those stats halfway through is just going to throttle them power-wise

What, no. Use runes to increase your vit and stamina so you dont have to pump points into those and you should have at least 30/30 (presumably higher) by the time you get to late game content. Especially so with skill being op for counters.

What, no. Use runes to increase your vit and stamina so you dont have to pump points into those and you should have at least 30/30 (presumably higher) by the time you get to late game content. Especially so with skill being op for counters.
As a proud loot whore, I would never use rune slots for anything other than Moon and Eye! #snootyface.

Melchiah

As a proud loot whore, I would never use rune slots for anything other than Moon and Eye! #snootyface.

I mostly use these runes, unless there's a need for increased elemental resistance, and in the Defiled chalice I used one that increased HP to avoid being killed with one hit.
MOgkI9S.jpg

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
For those of you with the platinum, how long did it take for Sony to send you the platinum theme? I have the 3rd party stuff checked on my account, but I got the platinum a week or so ago and have heard nothing so far.

Got my platinum 15.2.17 and got the theme 17.2.17.

I didn't realise it was there until months later because I had Sony emails set to auto archive in GMail which meant I never saw any of them in Inbox (which I switched to ages ago). The moment I realised it had been sitting there waiting for more for months (along with over 400 other emails) was almost as good as getting the trophy itself.

Decided to come back to this game, when I first gave it a go it was just a frustrating experience that I had no fun with at all. Only reason I'm giving it another chance is that I love the whole aesthetic of the game, love the enemy designs, the atmosphere, all are really appealing to me. Hopefully I last more than a few hours this time :D

IyZSZ6p.gif

I'm sure I'm not the first to make the observation, but I'm going through the Chalice dungeons my first time and everything is rather Dark Souls like. There are way more enemies who use traditional enemies and one of the bosses is basically a pyromancer using a katana. It's kind of of odd.

Also I'm pretty sure I'm missing an area in the main game, but I have no idea where it is. Could someone list the optional areas for me?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also I'm pretty sure I'm missing an area in the main game, but I have no idea where it is. Could someone list the optional areas for me?
Hemwick Charnel Lane
Lecture Building F1
Nightmare Frontier
Upper Cathedral Ward
Cainhurst Castle

+ chalice dungeons and the DLC, of course.

Sarcasm

Can you CoOp when the three (or four) dudes in a room jump you after you run through a zone that has laser beams from the sky?

Trying to be vague as possible here but for vets they should know...

Melchiah

Can you CoOp when the three (or four) dudes in a room jump you after you run through a zone that has laser beams from the sky?

Trying to be vague as possible here but for vets they should know...

Yes, and you can also cheese them by
going to the prison cells below, and locking yourself inside. It's easy to deal with them from behind the bars.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I went all in on Skill so the point is moot now, but its worked out pretty well so far. Burned down Mergo's Wet Nurse on the first try and all three times I've been invaded I won. Pretty sure the people invading me were no good though. If I had one complaint about my build it is that the Blade Mercy lacks some range, so on occasion I find myself missing an attack when I attack out of a dodge. Its not a bad trade off though considering the crazy damage it seems to do.
That sounds a lot like my first character. Mostly skill, with no investment in arcane or bloodtinge. Putting points into stamina and HP never hurts for a first run through.

The BoM is good but I agree that it lacks range. But after a while, the range doesn't seem that bad because it's just so damn fast, and some moves are great for poking. Besides, your second weapon can patch up the range issue. I ran Cane + BoM for my first playthrough, and that worked great.

Does that mean you're enjoying it this time? :O

Combat had definitely clicked with me this time, somehow couldn't when I played it first. Defeated the second boss Father Gascoigne and I've only died once so far, I know it'll get much harder but it's not a frustrating experience like before, I'm actually having fun and really looking forward to playing more.

That sounds a lot like my first character. Mostly skill, with no investment in arcane or bloodtinge. Putting points into stamina and HP never hurts for a first run through.

The BoM is good but I agree that it lacks range. But after a while, the range doesn't seem that bad because it's just so damn fast, and some moves are great for poking. Besides, your second weapon can patch up the range issue. I ran Cane + BoM for my first playthrough, and that worked great.

I've got health and stamina it's always the first thing I invest my point in with these games. There's no point in leveling damage stats first early.

I've gotten over the short range thing on the Blade of Mercy at this point. I've now got the Burial Blade so when the Blade of Mercy doesn't cut it. A lot of the chalice dungeon bosses punish hyper agression in a way the main story bosses don't, so having something with slow more deliberate attacks is helpful.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've got health and stamina it's always the first thing I invest my point in with these games. There's no point in leveling damage stats first early.

I've gotten over the short range thing on the Blade of Mercy at this point. I've now got the Burial Blade so when the Blade of Mercy doesn't cut it. A lot of the chalice dungeon bosses punish hyper agression in a way the main story bosses don't, so having something with slow more deliberate attacks is helpful.
The Burial Blade is one of those weapons that I want to like, but have trouble getting used to. It just feels weird to me right now, though I've seen people swear by it.

Have you done the DLC? The BoM was amazing for me there. I was more cane than BoM in the main game and played a much slower, more zone-oriented style. The DLC made me put that down and use the BoM a lot more, especially for the bosses.

If you like using the BoM, you'll love the DLC.

^
Those gifs are something else. They look like they came from a trailer.

The Burial Blade is one of those weapons that I want to like, but have trouble getting used to. It just feels weird to me right now, though I've seen people swear by it.

Have you done the DLC? The BoM was amazing for me there. I was more cane than BoM in the main game and played a much slower, more zone-oriented style. The DLC made me put that down and use the BoM a lot more, especially for the bosses.

If you like using the BoM, you'll love the DLC.

I haven't done the Dlc yet I'm working through the fixed chalice dungeons first.

I've only been using it for like two hours, but I definitely see the appeal of the Burial Blade. The untransformed state is kind of whatever, but the scythe is pretty handy. It has a ton of rally potential and the r2 is an incredibly powerful horizontal sweep. Admittedly I always gravitate towards the faster greatswords in Dark Souls and with the Burial Blade being that speed I'm more attuned to it. The only reason I went skill was to change things up compared to what I'm used to. Ludwig's Holy Blade is probably more my style, but it's good to try new things.

tbm24

Hey guys, I've had Bloodborne since launch but never made any headway on it. The first area did me in for hours and I gave up. I'm giving the game another try today and it's finally clicking for me. Enough that I went all around without dying and have a sense of expiration now. Feels great, still adjusting to souls type games, in particular fighting the feeling being lost. First boss I've defeated is Father Gascoigne, also first one I've found. It's a bit hard for me to sit still and play not knowing if I'm going the right order in this game, or if that even exists in this game since it really feels like maze.

It's a bit hard for me to sit still and play not knowing if I'm going the right order in this game, or if that even exists in this game since it really feels like maze.
Don't worry about doing things in the right order - you can't really do anything in the wrong order, it's quite a linear game despite the byzantine level design. There are timed NPC events that can be missed, but nothing essential like bosses or areas - any such optional bosses or areas can be done any time before the final boss (which bumps you straight to NG+)

You have passed by what most people would consider the first boss, which is actually an optional boss that can be done any time. Have a look around the first area again, it is somewhere you probably already walked past and didn't notice the way to go. :)

jviggy43

Also I am always available to help on coop for any new players if things start feeling overwhelming. I've neared it 20-30 times now

Hey guys, I've had Bloodborne since launch but never made any headway on it. The first area did me in for hours and I gave up. I'm giving the game another try today and it's finally clicking for me. Enough that I went all around without dying and have a sense of expiration now. Feels great, still adjusting to souls type games, in particular fighting the feeling being lost. First boss I've defeated is Father Gascoigne, also first one I've found. It's a bit hard for me to sit still and play not knowing if I'm going the right order in this game, or if that even exists in this game since it really feels like maze.

There is no real order but there is an order to get things to get your run easier, anyway thats more the developers idea to keep the game as free to roam as possible and not hand holding the player

Top Bottom