• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

sphinx

the piano man
first timers usually kill him since he impedes your progress throught the zone.

I think most first timers just evade him, the guy is pretty hard, he makes progressing hard but you can get past him running and taking cover.

in fact all those hunters are a royal pain in the ass the first time around, they move super fast and are overpowered. I bothered fighting against them only with a +9 or +10 weapon, which happens waaay after you encounter any of them.

that trio of assholes in Yahar'gul? what the fuck was that,lol

I think most first timers just evade him, the guy is pretty hard, he makes progressing hard but you can get past him running and taking cover.

in fact all those hunters are a royal pain in the ass the first time around, they move super fast and are overpowered. I bothered fighting against them only with a +9 or +10 weapon, which happens waaay after you encounter any of them.

that trio of assholes in Yahar'gul? what the fuck was that,lol

Pretty sure all the hunters move at the same speed as the player but their damage is insane if you dont invested in Vit earlier.

I just aggro the Yahargul hunters outside and let the abominations kills them

Noj2QSJ.gif

All these gifs sunhi has blessed us with. Pushed me over the edge. I've been hooked on Tekken the past few weeks but have been craving an ARPG for a while(recently finished Horizon). The Hunt beckons once more.

Melchiah

I used the Shaman Bone Blade on the beastclaw one and he did all the work for me. That guy is insane.

The enemy hunter in the first area of The Old Hunters? He was very hard to beat, when I tried to play the DLC at level 60. Dunno what my weapon level was at the time, but it was just before beating Rom. I had to go back to the main game, get a +10 weapon, and return there when I was at level 90.

The enemy hunter in the first area of The Old Hunters? He was very hard to beat, when I tried to play the DLC at level 60. Dunno what my weapon level was at the time, but it was just before beating Rom. I had to go back to the main game, get a +10 weapon, and return there when I was at level 90.

That guy is also insane, but manageable solo. I'm talking about the one in the Yarhar'gul trio of hunters. Trying to drag one by one wasn't working so I just used the bone blade. I was chiming in to the conversation above.

Farming Blood Stone chunks is kind of bullshit. If I wasn't doing the chalice dungeons for the trophy I'd be super upset about the whole thing.

Sarcasm

I really need to progress and I am so lost. I got to a fire before you get jumped by 3 or 4 hunters.

Anybody care to CoOp? I am rusty lol

Melchiah

That guy is also insane, but manageable solo. I'm talking about the one in the Yarhar'gul trio of hunters. Trying to drag one by one wasn't working so I just used the bone blade. I was chiming in to the conversation above.

Farming Blood Stone chunks is kind of bullshit. If I wasn't doing the chalice dungeons for the trophy I'd be super upset about the whole thing.

Ah, my mistake. I wish I had tried the Shaman Bone Blade there.

I never really farmed the Blood Stone Chunks, but I ended up getting 6 of them* from two playthroughs, DLC and chalices with my original character. I have +10 Threaded Cane, Saw Cleaver, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Holy Moonlight Sword, Whirligig Saw, Evelyn, and +9 Blade of Mercy and Burial Blade.

EDIT: Mixed Chunks with Rocks.

Ah, my mistake. I wish I had tried the Shaman Bone Blade there.

I never really farmed the Blood Stone Chunks, but I ended up getting 6 of them* from two playthroughs, DLC and chalices with my original character. I have +10 Threaded Cane, Saw Cleaver, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Holy Moonlight Sword, Whirligig Saw, Evelyn, and +9 Blade of Mercy and Burial Blade.

EDIT: Mixed Chunks with Rocks.

Yeah Rocks are sort of plentiful through normal play. There's like six you can get per NG without farming insight. Assuming you aren't trying to get +10 versions of the normal, uncanny, and lost variant for weapons that's more than enough rocks. The problem is that chunks can't be bought for echoes and the insight price is crazy high. That forces you to farm the blue eyed werewolves in Upper Cathedral Ward who have a low drop rate or beat depth 5 layer 1 chalices bosses. Neither of those process is super fast and neither is a reliable drop. I had to farm like 64 chunks, so a minimum of 32 boss kills to get what I needed to get most of arsenal to +9.

It wasn't a fun experience, but hey at least I have an amazing Beasthunter Saif+10 to show for it. That thing is probably the best skill weapon in the whole game. The BoM and Rakuyo may have more damage, but the extra movement on the tricked forms first attack is hard to beat.

I beat the Orphan of Kos and I get the constant complaints about the boss it's a tricky encounter. I eventually had to cave in and figure out how to deal with one particular attack it does, but otherwise I found the fight manageable. It gives you enough space to breath after certain attacks that I never got too frustrated. It's a good boss fight to wrap the DLC with. I didn't understand any of the lore implications about what was going until after the fact though. It's hard coming to terms with the dream and nightmare being its own thing.

Anybody feel like CoOping right now?

Give me like 10mins and I can help you with whatever I need a break from throwing myself at the defiled Watchdog. PM me your user name.

Edit: just realized your post is already an hour old. Whlep if you're still looking my offer stands.

After giving up a few weeks after release (due to not wanting to google for any help online I had lost track of where to go and what to do) I returned to bloodbourne last week and started again, with selective use of help and a lot more co-op both helping and getting help and now it all makes sense, I will soon buy the DLC.
It's weird to co-op and wonder if these people have been playing for two years or are new players one way or another.

Tried to go back and play the original Dark Souls on 360 and good god. I miss Bloodborne haha. The combat is sooo slow compared to Bloodborne, and the frame rate drops into single digits any time more than 3 enemies are on screen.

Give me Bloodborne 2 From.

EDIT: Just got to the Bell gargoyles and every time they use firebreath the frame rate tanks so hard :( I wish I had the pc version.

Ladekabel

After a 3+ week hiatus from Bloodborne I continued playing. Last thing I did was defeating Vicar Amalia. Since people in here said it would be better to go to the left and right from the Grand Cathedral before I interact with the altar I went to the Hemlock Grove area.

That area was super easy. Maybe I missed something on the way but I don't think so. Went through it without dying even with the big dudes with the halberds not being able to be stunned with a rifle blast.

Then I went to the boss. The way I see it I don't need to fight the thingies she summons because they respawn and their number seems capped. Just wait until the little old lady appears. Fight was easy until she suddenly started emitting this blasts which killed me in two hits without me being able to move great between the two hits. Thought that was bullshit and will continue tomorrow.

Running the way will be annoying even with the opened gate...

That area was super easy. Maybe I missed something on the way but I don't think so. Went through it without dying even with the big dudes with the halberds not being able to be stunned with a rifle blast.
The timing might take a bit of getting used to, but they can be parried.

h0tp0ck3t

After a 3+ week hiatus from Bloodborne I continued playing. Last thing I did was defeating Vicar Amalia. Since people in here said it would be better to go to the left and right from the Grand Cathedral before I interact with the altar I went to the Hemlock Grove area.

Then I went to the boss. The way I see it I don't need to fight the thingies she summons because they respawn and their number seems capped. Just wait until the little old lady appears. Fight was easy until she suddenly started emitting this blasts which killed me in two hits without me being able to move great between the two hits. Thought that was bullshit and will continue tomorrow.

Running the way will be annoying even with the opened gate...

If you are looking for a really easy time with that boss
sell off all your insight.
go in with zero and the Mad Ones won't spawn at all!

down 2 orth

I just finished the first chalice dungeon after clearing out the main game. I have to say, the dungeons are a pretty good way to add content. I'm especially liking how the early one(s) are a good place to try out untested and low-level weapons before deciding whether or not to level them up.

Hope Bloodborne 2 continues with this kind of thing!

I just finished the first chalice dungeon after clearing out the main game. I have to say, the dungeons are a pretty good way to add content. I'm especially liking how the early one(s) are a good place to try out untested and low-level weapons before deciding whether or not to level them up.

Hope Bloodborne 2 continues with this kind of thing!

I hope Chalices get merged into the main game to be some sort of mandatory Dungeons

I have hit a bit of a wall with my first play though I am mid 50s level with threaded cane and missed out on darkbeast Paarl but have defeated rom at 50 and also done the upper cathedral (where those effing brain suckers removed 15 insight because I could not take on more than one at a time and there are two or three at the top). Literally if one grabbed me I lost 900 of 1100 hp so I was pretty much screwed with ONE mistake. Anyway I did it. But elected not to do the boss there yet.

One reborn also seems to ohk me.

So I now should grind to get closer to level 70 ? Where ? Chalice dungeon or am I missing an easier boss. Thanks

I'm on my second run right now with 30 Vit and a 5% HP rune putting me at 1100 health. I beat the first DLC boss that way, so you should be fine you don't really need more then 50vit. My first run I spent most of it at 40 Vit and no rune for everything except the last three chalice dungeons then I pumped it up to 50 Vit. The One Reborn shouldn't be one shotting you unless you have like zero physical defense, but I've done that boss only twice so I'm no expert. For the Brain Suckers and really all Kin you need to just make sure you use thrust attacks they are super weak to thrust damage. The last suggestion I can give is maybe switch off from the threaded cane, if you're doing a skill build. My damage really fell off with it after the start my weapon progression was basically Threaded Cane-> Saw Spear-> Blades of Mercy-> Beast Hunter Saif-> Burial Blade-> Rakuyo. I really liked all of those after the weapons after the threaded cane each for different reasons. If I was to pick a favorite its the Beast Hunter Saif it is by far the most versatile of all the skill weapons you can get it before the first DLC boss, but it can be tricky to reach.

Edit: If you want help for a fight let me know I'd be more then happy to help.

Thanks I was wondering about the cane it's been great with the whip option, but perhaps isn't working so well now it takes all endurance to stun lock to death the worst enemies.

I just picked up the Tonitrus, or maybe I can put 4 points into arcane and try the Reiterpailash thing as it seems to scale with skill. It never occurred to me threaded cane wasn't going to be ideal to carrry thru to end.

Thanks I was wondering about the cane it's been great with the whip option, but perhaps isn't working so well now it takes all endurance to stun lock to death the worst enemies.

I just picked up the Tonitrus, or maybe I can put 4 points into arcane and try the Reiterpailash thing as it seems to scale with skill. It never occurred to me threaded cane wasn't going to be ideal to carrry thru to end.

I gave the rapier thing a try and really didn't care for it. It's reach wasn't great and the thing I wanted it for thrusts is not a consistent part of it's moveset. The R2 of the untransformed Beasthunter Saif is a thrust and comes out fast enough to make the rapier kind of pointless. It seems better for a Skill/Bloodtinge build with the fast fire speed it has. I can't speak much on the Tonitrus I found the moveset boring and dropped it. I just buffed stuff with bolt paper when fighting Kin.

I don't think the Threaded Cane is a bad weapon it's just not fast enough for the way I was fighting bosses. I've heard good things about the Beast Cutter though it's the strength equivalent of the Threaded Cane. It's serrated, has high damage, and high stagger. I think the only major draw back is it's sort of slow. I haven't used it,but people often praise it. Might be a viable option, if you haven't gone too deep into skill. It can be found very early in the DLC.

my problem I think is I put too much into skill / vitality / endurance and nothing else much. guess I need the next 15 levels have to go into strength to catch up. Most of your weapon progression after cane is DLC/NG or an NPC that I have screwed up already :(

Melchiah

It's perfectly fine for the main game, NG+, DLC, and all the chalices, but some prefer the other weapons. Personally, I found the Cane the most versatile weapon in the game, and the whip mode's reach comes really handy against enemy hunters, and larger enemies and bosses, particularly in the chalices.

The Brainsuckers are weak to fire and bolt damage, so you could use molotovs or Fire/Bolt Paper against them, or just use a fire/bolt gem for the weapon when you're going through an area where they roam.

my problem I think is I put too much into skill / vitality / endurance and nothing else much. guess I need the next 15 levels have to go into strength to catch up. Most of your weapon progression after cane is DLC/NG or an NPC that I have screwed up already :(

I had 12 str only because that's what my starting class had. I put every single one of my points into those three stats and one point into bloodtinge to use the rapier. If you can't get the BoM thats not a big deal. Do you not have the DLC? Just run to the Beast Hunter Saif if you want to use something new.

It's perfectly fine for the main game, NG+, DLC, and all the chalices, but some prefer the other weapons. Personally, I found the Cane the most versatile weapon in the game, and the whip mode's reach comes really handy against enemy hunters, and larger enemies and bosses, particularly in the chalices.

The Brainsuckers are weak to fire and bolt damage, so you could use molotovs or Fire/Bolt Paper against them, or just use a fire/bolt gem for the weapon when you're going through an area where they roam.

Oh the yeah the Threaded Cane works I just didn't like enough to stick with it. By the time I had to fight enemies where targeting specific body parts was crucial I had the Burial Blade other wise I would have used the transformed cane.

Ladekabel

Played a little bit today. Beat the Witches on my second try and Paarl on my first. Little bit proud of myself because of that.

Will interact with the altar in Amalias room next though I'd like to know what is in the room on the end of the way to the right. I u-turned in front of it because I expect something like the Cleric Beast fight.

Edit.: Oh, and how important are the Chalice Dungeons? I still have the thing that the BSB dropped but never used it.

Just got the Platinum for this game, my first ever. What a fantastic game, after 80 hours with it, I still want more. I think I'll wait a bit to grab the DLC, but I'm tempted to pick it now.

Played a little bit today. Beat the Witches on my second try and Paarl on my first. Little bit proud of myself because of that.

Will interact with the altar in Amalias room next though I'd like to know what is in the room on the end of the way to the right. I u-turned in front of it because I expect something like the Cleric Beast fight.

Edit.: Oh, and how important are the Chalice Dungeons? I still have the thing that the BSB dropped but never used it.

If you want to see every unique boss and weapon the game has to offer then you need to do the Chalice dungeons otherwise they aren't particularly interesting to do. I'm of the opinion they aren't really worth it. The one thing I did come to appreciate is that there are some main game bosses that show up again in the dungeons that I really didn't learn to fight, until I saw the much harder Chalice dungeon version.

Watched the new world record speed run vs all bosses and, well. Wow. That guy must be involuntarily dreaming of his route every night. 1hr 25m or something. Boss battles over in seconds.

sphinx

the piano man
Just don't put the gems in the dungeon and don't make people grind for items to do the chalices. Just requires entirely too much farming if you don't have the codes.

yeah that was bad. I think sony is to blame for that, though.

I guess they wanted to make online gaming enticing enough (so you'd pay for PS+) so they had really good stuff (runes) locked behind the multiplayer chalice dungeons.

the typical "it's not necessary so I am not mad at the devs but damn, I want that" in MP games

Top Bottom