• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

kikiribu

Couldn't resist going back to Maria huh, Sunhi? I actually have a separate save for her on a USB and fight her just for fun sometimes. The fight and music are just that good

Yeah, I did the same, have a save file on USB just before that fight. I have a few other saves I'm going to check, can't remember exactly which boss fights I have them for. I want to replay a few bosses again without having to go through NG+.

sphinx

the piano man
I think I beat Maria in less than 5 tries...which sucked cause I love viscerable enemies and the fight was fun.

zoodoo

Oh shit.

I just realized you could transform your weapon mid combo and it will do an additional attack???

How come I never discovered that before and I platinumed the game. Dumb me!

Has anyone here played the Bloodborne Card Game? I snagged it during an Amazon sale and haven't had the chance to play it. Only opened up the box and leafed through the manual.

Wondering how BB fans like the card game iteration.

Wamb0wneD

Ok fuck Oprhan of Kos. His tracking and hitbox are just insane. Can't even get him to 50%. Everytime he gets me in some super weird angle, staggers me and then kills me. Might as well start the fight with 1 hp, no difference. Did i mention is 360% attack is total BS?

Edit: Managed to get him to 40% after my 20th try. Lol. Yeah I'll lay down the controller for a while.

zoodoo

Ok fuck Oprhan of Kos. His tracking and hitbox are just insane. Can't even get him to 50%. Everytime he gets me in some super weird angle, staggers me and then kills me. Might as well start the fight with 1 hp, no difference. Did i mention is 360% attack is total BS?

Edit: Managed to get him to 40% after my 20th try. Lol. Yeah I'll lay down the controller for a while.

Yeah, his tracking is bullshit.

gogosox82

I found its a bit easier to fight him in the water. Might want to try that next time.

jviggy43

Has anyone here played the Bloodborne Card Game? I snagged it during an Amazon sale and haven't had the chance to play it. Only opened up the box and leafed through the manual.

Wondering how BB fans like the card game iteration.

I like it a lot. Ive only played it once so far but it was a blast.

In the end I just used my vials to make blood bullets, and just shot the hell out of him.
But I had a 40 Bloodtinge build with a fully upgraded repeating pistol, so it was doing a lot of damage.

Baiting out certain moves to get visceral attacks is the way to beat him. You can also just straight up backstab him after certain moves if my memory serves me correctly.

The best attempt was when he was so close to death I couldn't even see his health on the health bar. I'm not one to get annoyed at games, but that was stupid.

Wamb0wneD

I get him to 50% more often now but then it's gg. He's so unpredictable and the fact he always holds his weapon with both hands means I can predict even less what he's doing next.
So annoying...
The house is already burning and all I'd have to do is go to the tree...The Orphan is the only thing that holds me back...
Not even caring about Laurence.

Yeah, his tracking is bullshit.

Sometimes I'm trying to dodge to the right and because I did it 1 milisecond too early I land right in front of his attack again. Not even to speak of his second form. Screw Miyazaki for that.

I found its a bit easier to fight him in the water. Might want to try that next time.

Doing that all the time lol. Thanks though.

In the end I just used my vials to make blood bullets, and just shot the hell out of him.
But I had a 40 Bloodtinge build with a fully upgraded repeating pistol, so it was doing a lot of damage.

Baiting out certain moves to get visceral attacks is the way to beat him. You can also just straight up backstab him after certain moves if my memory serves me correctly.

The best attempt was when he was so close to death I couldn't even see his health on the health bar. I'm not one to get annoyed at games, but that was stupid.

Got a Skill/Arcane build and all of the arcane based items deal exactly 0 damage. The reason why I want to beat him so badly is I know what he drops...Otherwise I would've said "fuck it" long ago.
I can backstab him sometimes when he does his aoe range magic move but I rarely try to actually parry him because the window is so damn small and if i fail, more than half my hp is gone...

I had that moment with the health bar on the Living Failures. Almost threw my controller against the wall lol.

Bluehound

Neo Member
That second phase is literally a big pain. I had much less trouble with his combos than with lightning and oher distance attacks. I had to stay close to him at all times, dodging aggressively until I could do an attack or two in. Laurence is nothing compared to Orphan.

Wamb0wneD

I fucking DID IT. After 40 tries or so. God damn... I'll save Gehrman up for later. Fuck that felt good.

I have a question though. If i beat the last boss, will I still have all my Madman's Knowledge in NG+? I think I have like 60, and my Blood Chunks and whatnot? I could imagine the insight that I have active disappearing for NG+, but I hope I can keep the stuff in my inventory. I'd buy another Blood Rock before the game ends If that's the case.

gogosox82

I fucking DID IT. After 40 tries or so. God damn... I'll save Gehrman up for later. Fuck that felt good.

I have a question though. If i beat the last boss, will I still have all my Madman's Knowledge in NG+? I think I have like 60, and my Blood Chunks and whatnot? I could imagine the insight that I have active disappearing for NG+, but I hope I can keep the stuff in my inventory. I'd buy another Blood Rock before the game ends If that's the case.

You don't lose insight unless you spend it. I would buy anything you want from the insight shop before going to ng+ because you will lose the badges and you'll have get them again in ng+.

Wamb0wneD

Nvm almost everything went to NG+. Problem is that I need 5 Blood Chunks and a Rock to get the Burial Blade to +10...I don't have 160 Insight to spend and until I get to the point in game where I can get Chunks again it's gonna take a while...

Nvm almost everything went to NG+. Problem is that I need 5 Blood Chunks and a Rock to get the Burial Blade to +10...I don't have 160 Insight to spend and until I get to the point in game where I can get Chunks again it's gonna take a while...

You're probably better off going to the DLC and doing that if you want those early, especially considering you only get the blood rock at the last main game area. You'll probably pick up a lot of insight as you go through the game again, too. Especially with madman knowledge.

You might be able to get that stuff from the Chalice Dungeons, but I'm not sure.

Wamb0wneD

You're probably better off going to the DLC and doing that if you want those early, especially considering you only get the blood rock at the last main game area. You'll probably pick up a lot of insight as you go through the game again, too. Especially with madman knowledge.

You might be able to get that stuff from the Chalice Dungeons, but I'm not sure.

Yeah i think there's some of that stuff in the Chalice Dungeons, but I don't want to farm the matierials to get to the cursed/defiled Dungeon...Guess I'll try to get to the DLC asap. I also want the Rakuyo on 10 at some point. Only got the Cane, the Blades of Mercy and the Parasite on 10 so far. Gonna take a while lol.

sphinx

the piano man
Laurence is nothing compared to Orphan.

I guess that depends on playing style and builds.

for me Laurence was harder, specially that second phase with the lava/fire surrounding him.

Orphan is viscerable, therefore easier. When he's about to die though, then holy shit.... the fireworks, the screams, the jumping around, it's crazy,

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think they're hard in different ways.

Laurence is slow but super punishing, encouraging a style where you hang back and only do damage when you're sure it's safe to do so. Going slow and steady is good, especially during second phase.

Orphan is so aggressive and fast that hanging back too much actually hurts you in the long run because you aren't doing enough damage to him if you play it too safe. This is based on the assumption that you can't stay safe around him forever (assuming you don't know how to dodge everything he does perfectly). So he encourages you to go in more often and slug it out with him. Especially during his final phase, since the safest spots during second phase are right up close to him.

I think about halfway through I was probably a little over powered, I would spend a lot of time in each area to make sure I didn't miss anything and once I thought I was done and killed the boss I would check online for a map of that area to see if there was any items I missed. I also spent about an hour farming twin blood stone shards near the halfway point mainly to upgrade my weapons, I wanted to try a variety as I progressed. I think that's probably why there wasn't any bosses after the blood starved beast that gave me any real trouble, although they were still exhilarating and I died a few times there wasn't a point where I was attempting the same boss over and over more than a handful of times. I also thought I was done with the game but I completely forgot about the chalice dungeons, I'll definitely have to give them a go as I think I did see someone mention there's bosses there not seen in the main game.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The Chalice dungeons do have unique bosses, but the dungeons themselves suck. They're proof that a game that looks and plays great can still suck if you take away level design.

The other thing is that chalice dungeon levels do not scale the way they do in the main game between NG and NG+X, so you can easily walk in and be super overleveled for at least the first bunch of chalices, which makes them even more boring.

Wamb0wneD

The Chalice dungeons do have unique bosses, but the dungeons themselves suck. They're proof that a game that looks and plays great can still suck if you take away level design.

The other thing is that chalice dungeon levels do not scale the way they do in the main game between NG and NG+X, so you can easily walk in and be super overleveled for at least the first bunch of chalices, which makes them even more boring.

I would have to grind some of them multiple times to get enough blood and materials I all can't buy at the shop for some reason. Not gonna do that. Also I would just run into weapon versions better than mine that I already upgraded to +10 which would just make me angry so yeah...No. Not going to suffer through that nonexistent leveldesign.

Ferr986

I would have to grind some of them multiple times to get enough blood and materials I all can't buy at the shop for some reason. Not gonna do that. Also I would just run into weapon versions better than mine that I already upgraded to +10 which would just make me angry so yeah...No. Not going to suffer through that nonexistent leveldesign.

There's no "better version" per se of the weapons, just the same one with different gem slots.

I find Chalices fun, but if you don't do them during the story then yeah, the first ones are a chose. The fun stuff is at Depth 5.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
A few pages ago I died on the Witches after using up all my vials. After completing the Forgotten Woods, i came back and killed them without using a single vial lol. No idea how i was able to die there the first time.

Anyways, just killed the scorpion in Borgenwerth, pretty strange fight for sure. Definitely looking forward to progressing further tomorrow!

I'm afraid of going back to Old Hunters because I beat 4 out of the 5 bosses on my first try (Laurence being the exception), and that's the kind of high note I don't want to ruin.

Wamb0wneD

There's no "better version" per se of the weapons, just the same one with different gem slots.

I find Chalices fun, but if you don't do them during the story then yeah, the first ones are a chose. The fun stuff is at Depth 5.

I think I heard somewhere that the other versions of the Parasite of Kos are way better than the normal one because of the different gem slots. All my Arcane based gems are in the triangle slot and the Parasite I have has no slots for that.

I'm afraid of going back to Old Hunters because I beat 4 out of the 5 bosses on my first try (Laurence being the exception), and that's the kind of high note I don't want to ruin.

You beat Orphan on first try? wut?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

same. i thought the DLC was quite easy up until Kos. he fucked my shit up real bad.

i see a lot of people struggle with Ludwig but he was no more difficult than any other boss.

now that i've said that i feel if i were to go back to it that i'd forever struggle to get past Ludwig lol.

Ferr986

I think I heard somewhere that the other versions of the Parasite of Kos are way better than the normal one because of the different gem slots. All my Arcane based gems are in the triangle slot and the Parasite I have has no slots for that.

Yeah, I mean, there's an "optimal" gem distribution for each weapon but the difference isn't really that big. Is more about min-maxing.

Wamb0wneD

Yeah, I mean, there's an "optimal" gem distribution for each weapon but the difference isn't really that big. Is more about min-maxing.

When you can't put a single arcane % gem into your parasite isn't less min maxing and more essential? I feel really screwed over here lol.

gogosox82

I thought badges carry over to NG+. Same with Madman's Knowledges.

It does, but you can't buy chunks until you beat One Reborn and you can't buy Blood Rocks until you beat Margo's Wet Nurse. Sorry if that wasn't clear, was talking specifically about upgrade weapons.

vyfwHDJ.gif

9evbfbe.gif

T-0800

Bought this at launch and finally finished it today. My son informed that I made the wrong choice at the end but I don't care. I did it!!

Rafroel

Just bought the basic version during the last PS sale. I've only ever played DS1:prepare to Die for about 20 min, so this was a definite GAF-influenced impulse buy.

I've just spent the last 3.5 hrs getting my ass handed to me and I haven't even made it past the two Scourge Beasts on the bridge in Central Yharnam. I was not ready for this!

Just bought the basic version during the last PS sale. I've only ever played DS1:prepare to Die for about 20 min, so this was a definite GAF-influenced impulse buy.

I've just spent the last 3.5 hrs getting my ass handed to me and I haven't even made it past the two Scourge Beasts on the bridge in Central Yharnam. I was not ready for this!
Play smart, not hard. Just past the two warewolves on the bridge is a doorway with a shortcut back to the lamp. The game (and DS1 too) is full of little shortcuts and unlocks like this to make life easier - if you're willing to look around and use your wits rather than try to brute force things.

Also [cheesy way to kill the warewolves]
The doorway into the house with the shortcut can be used to cheese the warewolves since they can't get through the doorway

Good luck!

T-0800

I feel your pain but as the post above yours shows, I finally beat it. Hang in there.

You can take on the beasts one at a time which makes it easier. Just don't get the attention of the second one.

sphinx

the piano man
After giving it some thought, I am going to say Central Yharnam is my favorite stage, its almost the first area but its verticality remains unmatched through the whole game, it's area design is absolutely superb, no other area in the game compares. it has twists and turn and hidden nooks and crannies everywhere, danger at every turn, smart playing required with every encounter, perfectly placed shortcuts to avoid frustration sinking in.

there was a night I played like two hours and was killed again and again and for some reason didn't use blood to upgrade levels so I effectively wasted my time, literally zero progress that night but I was so fascinated by Central Yharnam that I didn't mind at all, the next day I was waiting to come from work to reach further into the area. At the end of it, Gascoigne didn't disappoint, awesome fight that I won fair and square, no chesse, just timed shots shots + viscerals, no toy box tune from the daughter either.

NKnight7

Neo Member
After giving it some thought, I am going to say Central Yharnam is my favorite stage, its almost the first area but its verticality remains unmatched through the whole game, it's area design is absolutely superb, no other area in the game compares. it has twists and turn and hidden nooks and crannies everywhere, danger at every turn, smart playing required with every encounter, perfectly placed shortcuts to avoid frustration sinking in.

there was a night I played like two hours and was killed again and again and for some reason didn't use blood to upgrade levels so I effectively wasted my time, literally zero progress that night but I was so fascinated by Central Yharnam that I didn't mind at all, the next day I was waiting to come from work to reach further into the area. At the end of it, Gascoigne didn't disappoint, awesome fight that I won fair and square, no chesse, just timed shots shots + viscerals, no toy box tune from the daughter either.

Yep, still one of my favorite areas to traverse whenever I start a new playthrough. That, Forbidden Woods, and Cainhurst Castle are my top three.

Raptor

I think about halfway through I was probably a little over powered, I would spend a lot of time in each area to make sure I didn't miss anything and once I thought I was done and killed the boss I would check online for a map of that area to see if there was any items I missed. I also spent about an hour farming twin blood stone shards near the halfway point mainly to upgrade my weapons, I wanted to try a variety as I progressed. I think that's probably why there wasn't any bosses after the blood starved beast that gave me any real trouble, although they were still exhilarating and I died a few times there wasn't a point where I was attempting the same boss over and over more than a handful of times. I also thought I was done with the game but I completely forgot about the chalice dungeons, I'll definitely have to give them a go as I think I did see someone mention there's bosses there not seen in the main game.

There are, there is a boss there that is completly insane, also there is the Defiled Chalices that botch your health bar in half :p

Have fun :D

Top Bottom