• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Ferr986

It's amazing! Such a shame you get it so late in the game. Great for NG+ and Chalice Dungeons, though.

Yeah you could get it earlier if you got summoned to a SRC containing and uncanny/lost variant, but that was patched. I still have a lvl 30 guy with it :p

That's the Scythe right? Fuck I want that... I will never get that...

unless you're not going to finish the game, you'll get it sooner than later

Ferr986

bloodborne_hunter_s_workshop_by_ishutani-dbonc1e.jpg

https://twitter.com/Ishu_tani/status/912763271702233088

I'm finding Bloodborne to definitely the weakest boss-wise between Dark Souls 1 and 3. More than half of the bosses are either visually messy, gimmicky, or some combination of both. Now I know somebody is going to come in and say "I think Bloodborne has the best and most inventive bosses," but they don't do anything for me. Some of them are also only challenging because of their obscene health pools, and if you think it's because Bloodborne's weapons are faster or stronger than Dark Souls', well, tell that to the Sellsword Twinblades or Dark Souls 1 Zweihander.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I honestly feel Bloodborne is the overall weakest Soulsborne among the ones Ive played (Demons, DS1-2), and that includes the bosses, enemy variety, level design and so on. Still an awesome game though.

MomoMura

Sorry If a bit off topic, but I'm currently torn between buying either Dark Souls 3 or the Bloodborne DLC (can only purchase either/or at the moment, unless I wanna play Souls 3 in Japanese which I'm extremely hesitant to lol)

Any suggestions/advice?

Sorry If a bit off topic, but I'm currently torn between buying either Dark Souls 3 or the Bloodborne DLC (can only purchase either/or at the moment, unless I wanna play Souls 3 in Japanese which I'm extremely hesitant to lol)

Any suggestions/advice?
DS3 is more bang for your buck obviously. BB DLC is some of the best Souls content period. I'd go with DS3 but keep BB DLC at the top of your shopping list!

For some reason Playstation sent me a code for another Bloodborne Platinum theme, despite the fact they originally sent me one like two years ago. If anyone wants the theme, send me a PM. I think it'll only work if you have an EU account though.

Edit: It's been claimed.

I'm finding Bloodborne to definitely the weakest boss-wise between Dark Souls 1 and 3. More than half of the bosses are either visually messy, gimmicky, or some combination of both. Now I know somebody is going to come in and say "I think Bloodborne has the best and most inventive bosses," but they don't do anything for me. Some of them are also only challenging because of their obscene health pools, and if you think it's because Bloodborne's weapons are faster or stronger than Dark Souls', well, tell that to the Sellsword Twinblades or Dark Souls 1 Zweihander.

I'm surprised you think that. Compared to DS1, I thought Bloodborne bosses were wayyy more creative.

There's way too many fire demon/regular demon type bosses in DS1. With Bloodborne, there's a good variety of beasts, hunters, and Great Ones.

I'm surprised you think that. Compared to DS1, I thought Bloodborne bosses were wayyy more creative.

There's way too many fire demon/regular demon type bosses in DS1. With Bloodborne, there's a good variety of beasts, hunters, and Great Ones.

The variety isn't the problem. The problem is that a lot of them aren't particularly fun to fight. Dark Souls 1 bosses are all satisfying or fun in their own way, not counting Bed of Chaos, with a basic emphasis on dodging, positioning, and stamina management. Bloodborne has "oh boy, I get to kill some mobs and then mash R1 on the boss again" (Emissary, Rom, The One Reborn, Witches). Some of the ones that don't have mobs tend to have attacks that are relatively easy to avoid, but do a huge amount of damage on top of having very high HP (
Ebrietas, Wet Nurse
). And I understand that they tried to make the game something other than "Victorian Dark Souls with a faster dodge" as well as it fitting into the lore that the enemies are far stronger than humans, but I definitely prefer Dark Souls' more straightforward style of boss battles.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I find the BB bosses have a lot more variety in what you need to do with them. Most of them aren't just killing adds and mashing on the boss, but encourage different playstyles. Vicar Amelia discourages attacking from certain directions and encourages aggressive play. Laurence discourages aggressive play and encourages safe play. BSB is noticeably weaker if you approach from a certain side, and is hard to fight with short range weapons because of his mobility. Orphan of Kos actually encourages a small degree of recklessness but punishes panic dodging. Many larger bosses have breakable limbs or weak points that you can exploit for free damage. It's most certainly not mindless in terms of positioning, hitboxes, or stamina management at all. And the fact that most bosses change their traits with phase changes makes things a whole lot more interesting.

While some of them are "kill adds and then mash attack" as you said, the vast majority of BB bosses are not like that at all. Most will punish you if you just mindlessly mash attack or dodge.

I wish Gehrman had a little more dialogue. He shows up so infrequently, and all he does is tell you where to go.
The fight is much more poignant if you've managed to get the dialogue where he's crying, since you go into the fight understanding how selfless he is, and not that he's just randomly trying to kill you for refusing to leave the dream.

Raptor

Hmm, Sony sent me another Platinum Theme code.

I don't need it so here's the code if anyone does.
9R2M-97N8-32L4

Will check when I get home if I can claim it.

If not if someone has the code and dont want it please PM it.

I have the Platinum but Sony never sent the damn code to me.

Edit.

Nope code taken :(

gogosox82

Withes and Amelia down. Witches were pretty easy as usual, Amelia I was a little rusty on. I tried using a fire gem on her with my saw cleaver and it didn't feel more effective. I think I would've been better off with going pure physical and just using fire paper. Went to the dlc and picked up Beasthunter Saif and opened the shortcut. Man this place is going to be so tricky. I literally just cannot be hit by anything here. Gonna need to do some serious gem farming before trying to take it on. Cleaver at +6 but I'm probably gonna let myself get kidnapped by the bagman so i can get some twin shards for Beasthunter Saif. Then the forbidden woods and shadows. They will be a pain in the ass to do.

I wish Gehrman had a little more dialogue. He shows up so infrequently, and all he does is tell you where to go.
The fight is much more poignant if you've managed to get the dialogue where he's crying, since you go into the fight understanding how selfless he is, and not that he's just randomly trying to kill you for refusing to leave the dream.

The dools gets more dialogue about him on the DLC while you defeats bosses

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Been trying to push into Yahargul, but this area is crazy hard. Was able to basically run through the area and reach the second lamp, but got annihilated by the three hunters in the cathedral. I guess i could run through them too, but i dont really like to do that too much, does all the running mean i might be underleveled? Or is this area just supposed to be a huuuuge difficulty spike?

Panthers

Been trying to push into Yahargul, but this area is crazy hard. Was able to basically run through the area and reach the second lamp, but got annihilated by the three hunters in the cathedral. I guess i could run through them too, but i dont really like to do that too much, does all the running mean i might be underleveled? Or is this area just supposed to be a huuuuge difficulty spike?

They introduce a new enemy mechanic here that I would describe but I am on my phone and can't spoiler tag right now. But yea you need to learn where certain enemies are and take them out. It takes some trial and error but just run through a bunch without echos to lose and learn the area well, as well as enemy placement. And those hunters are a bitch.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I remember how I hated these two and was just able to beat two of them because they fell through the level geometry :D

kikiribu

Those hunters are actually not bad. Just slowly bait them out one by one and run back to the lamp you just came from if you have to. They’ll follow you and slowly walk back, giving you enough time to lure the nearest one back to you.

Also, the area can be tough, but becomes easier if you eliminate the bell ringers

Hello checking-in. Just bought the ultimate edition yesterday. Have never played any of the souls games. But took the plunge because you guys' praise. I am in the very beginning of the game. Died a shit ton. Took down the beast that was knocking on the gate, walked around a bit then got killed by two large shadowy creatures. Were they wolves? Not sure. But this game is for real - no hand holding, doesnt look like there are frequent checkpoint, but intricately designed to challenge the player. I will be checking in more as I very slowly progress. I'm trying time play as blindly as my patience allows, figure it will be more fun if I can have you guys join my journey too.

Thread subscribed

Hello checking-in. Just bought the ultimate edition yesterday. Have never played any of the souls games. But took the plunge because you guys' praise. I am in the very beginning of the game. Died a shit ton. Took down the beast that was knocking on the gate, walked around a bit then got killed by two large shadowy creatures. Were they wolves? Not sure. But this game is for real - no hand holding, doesnt look like there are frequent checkpoint, but intricately designed to challenge the player. I will be checking in more as I very slowly progress. I'm trying time play as blindly as my patience allows, figure it will be more fun if I can have you guys join my journey too.

Thread subscribed
Welcome to the hunt!

Welcome to the hunt!

Reading through some of the content in the OP, it's like stepping into a whole new world. Totally am wondering where the heck is the next lantern and what happens to my blood echoes when I die

On a different and unrelated note. I chose this game over Nier when considering what to play.

Reading through some of the content in the OP, it's like stepping into a whole new world. Totally am wondering where the heck is the next lantern and what happens to my blood echoes when I die

On a different and unrelated note. I chose this game over Nier when considering what to play.

your echos are absorbed by enemies, they have glowing eyes so you know which ones have them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They are pooled in a bloodstain, which you can pick up to retrieve them after respawning, but if you die before reaching it, they are gone forever and a new bloodstain is formed.

That said, sometimes enemies that roam around your bloodstain may "steal" it. You'll see their eyes glowing; defeat the enemies and you'll automatically reclaim your echoes.

Wise choice. :)

Well, look out for shortcuts back to the lamps.

What weapon did you pick?

Made some progress. Ran into a guy who looked like an enemy, tried to talk to him but ended up attacking him. Had to "say hello" to the doll. He now attacks me even when I respawn. This fucking game. Also, cool that weapon has different mode with L1

And looking for the short cuts is helping tons

Edit: found a madmans knowledge by bunch of crows.

Made some progress. Ran into a guy who looked like an enemy, tried to talk to him but ended up attacking him. Had to "say hello" to the doll. He now attacks me even when I respawn. This fucking game. Also, cool that weapon has different mode with L1

And looking for the short cuts is helping tons

Edit: found a madmans knowledge by bunch of crows.

The only NPC that early should be Eileen the Crow, who is not a he. And don't worry about that, there is no way anyone can ever follow the character quests on their first playthrough. Or second. Or third. They are very obscure.

Also learn all of your weapon's moves. Some weapons retain one-handed when transforming, but some become two-handed weapons and gain L2 attacks. You can also attack and transform at the same time by doing an attack followed by L1, or quickstep/ roll followed by L1.

The only NPC that early should be Eileen the Crow, who is not a he. And don't worry about that, there is no way anyone can ever follow the character quests on their first playthrough. Or second. Or third. They are very obscure.

Also learn all of your weapon's moves. Some weapons retain one-handed when transforming, but some become two-handed weapons and gain L2 attacks. You can also attack and transform at the same time by doing an attack followed by L1, or quickstep/ roll followed by L1.

Thanks for all the tips. Can't wait to have more stamina to mix up the offense .

This NPC says to me after killing me about whether I dream and I would go say hi to the little doll for her

kikiribu

Thanks for all the tips. Can't wait to have more stamina to mix up the offense .

This NPC says to me after killing me about whether I dream and I would go say hi to the little doll for her
That’s Eileen, and you’ll experience some really cool fights if you don’t kill her yet.

Veelk

Banned
I hate doing that because it depicts Eileen as stupid or atleast clumsy when she should be a badass master hoonter.

Any respect I had for Djura died as he did on my first encounter with him when his dumb ass stumbled off the building he set up his gun nest on.

Top Bottom