• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Melchiah

Nightmare of Mensis is an absolute chore to play through, easily the worst area in the game so far.

It's one of my favorite areas in the game. The frenzy effect isn't that bad when you equip frenzy resistant gear, and you can use it to kill the enemies by luring them into its range. The Winter Lanterns were a pain in the ass at first, but they can be parried, and the whip form of the Threaded Cane comes handy against them.

My least favorite area in the game is the Nightmare Frontier. It's not that hard, but I just don't find it as interesting and visually appealing as the others, and I generally dislike the swamp areas in Souls games.

After getting my Dark Souls 2 platinum, I think it's time to finish up this game and... Oh, it's the damn defiled chalice dog which is why I quit the game in the first place.

Is it possible to summon help when a chalice dungeon is "deleted from the server" or do I need to get through layer 1 and 2 again?

Level 135 now and still Amygdala and the complete last dungeon to play through... I guess the last three campaign bosses wont give me any nightmares, right? I am super overleveled, I guess?

I think I was about level 60 when I completed the main game, recently completed the defiled dungeon at level 95. Now at 104 and fighting orphan of Kos is next. You shouldn't have much if any problems.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think I was about level 60 when I completed the main game, recently completed the defiled dungeon at level 95. Now at 104 and fighting orphan of Kos is next. You shouldn't have much if any problems.
Yeah, I just fought Mergos Nurse. Fight was a joke.
In the mean time, I am now at level 150, so again almost 20 levels up.
Hope I can take down Chaelic Amygdala now without any hassle...

I know, I am hopeless overleveled :D

Still, Amygdala is a pain in the ass

Like most of the bosses in bloodborne stick close, rotating to one side and be very aggressive and watch for the two moves that are specific to being around the legs both of which are highly telegraphed, the jump you can take advantage of to get a fully charged headshot.

Sarcasm

So I did the steps to friend
Durja

I did the steps to friend to get the gesture. I did the and reload but I see no item from Durja, the gatling gun dude. What does he drop and is it important? He fell ladder side, even actually parallel to the ladder
?

I can't believe it but I finally beat Watchdog in defiled chalice. But I had to use one of those NPC summons outside.

Looking at videos, looks like the third boss is... even fucking worse. I'm going to hate this game again.

So Amygdala is next?

Yep.

Damn, it's hard to get used to Bloodborne again after experiencing all the 60 fps in Dark Souls 2. I'm also constantly expecting iframes from dodging.

Defiled Layer 3 enemies are also wrecking me, because right at the beginning there's two dogs and their master that will all attack at the same time.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yep.

Damn, it's hard to get used to Bloodborne again after experiencing all the 60 fps in Dark Souls 2. I'm also constantly expecting iframes from dodging.

Defiled Layer 3 enemies are also wrecking me, because right at the beginning there's two dogs and their master that will all attack at the same time.

Looks like we created the exact same caelic. I would suggest you running into the room where the Zombie comes out and summon another hunter. Its pretty easy with him.

Good luck with Amygdala, he is super awful. Whats your level?

Sarcasm

I fixed my problem.

There was no problem as he doesn't drop anything after becoming friends as he gives you two things. Which includes the item that you would get if you meet as enemies.

Well you unlock the armour but that is it.

Melchiah

I used a throwing knife to lure the dogs closer one by one, and handled the Keeper afterwards. She's really easy to parry.

Looks like we created the exact same caelic. I would suggest you running into the room where the Zombie comes out and summon another hunter. Its pretty easy with him.

Good luck with Amygdala, he is super awful. Whats your level?

Level 121 right now.

I reached Amygdala and yep, it's pretty bad. I'm seeing Youtube videos of some kind of jump strategy but it seems to be patched.

I used a throwing knife to lure the dogs closer one by one, and handled the Keeper afterwards. She's really easy to parry.

I used pebbles, seemed to work well. Got past that part now.

h0tp0ck3t

Level 121 right now.

I reached Amygdala and yep, it's pretty bad. I'm seeing Youtube videos of some kind of jump strategy but it seems to be patched.

The jump strategy still worked when I fought him about a month ago. I guess he's supposed to land further away in phase 3 but he didn't for me at least

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I got him in the first battle with the jump strategy, too. At some point I will beat him. I am fucking Level 150, I have maxed out strength and skill, I should be able to pull this off.

I did it!

Yeah, jump strategy works, but the jump is less reliable on the 2nd phase as it prefers to keep flailing its arms around. On the 3rd phase it jumps almost all the time and it's likely that you miss the head sometimes. Be patient and it'll be fine.

Much easier than the watchdog.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I did it!

Yeah, jump strategy works, but the jump is less reliable on the 2nd phase as it prefers to keep flailing its arms around. On the 3rd phase it jumps almost all the time and it's likely that you miss the head sometimes. Be patient and it'll be fine.

Remember me, how does the Jumpstrategy work? Will try it out tomorrow

Remember me, how does the Jumpstrategy work? Will try it out tomorrow

Stand behind the boss, face away from it. It should jump. As soon as you see it jump, start charging R2 with Ludwig's Holy Blade. Then the boss will land and you will do a fully charged hit at the same time, and should hit it in its head which is its weak point.

At +9 with good ATK+% gems it should do over 1000 damage. Repeat until dead. The boss doesn't have attacks that hit behind it, which is why this is a safer strategy than most.

I can't believe it but I finally beat Watchdog in defiled chalice. But I had to use one of those NPC summons outside.

Looking at videos, looks like the third boss is... even fucking worse. I'm going to hate this game again.

I am lv 92 and just came back to the hunters dream and the house is burning and the doll said I should talk to Gehrman. I guess I am about to reach the final boss.

I don't think I missed any of the optional bosses so far, but I haven't played in the chalice dungeons yet because I always hear people saying they are not that fun.
Should I play in the dungeons a bit before the final boss or can I still do that afterwards? Is it any fun? Are there important items I can get?

I am lv 92 and just came back to the hunters dream and the house is burning and the doll said I should talk to Gehrman. I guess I am about to reach the final boss.

I don't think I missed any of the optional bosses so far, but I haven't played in the chalice dungeons yet because I always hear people saying they are not that fun.
Should I play in the dungeons a bit before the final boss or can I still do that afterwards? Is it any fun? Are there important items I can get?

You are about to fight the final boss, yes.

Chalice dungeons aren't really good as it's just the same thing over and over again. Find a lever to open the door to the boss room. They are only needed if you want to get trophies.

Kinsei

Banned

There's a really cool weapon you get from the first Loran chalice dungeon.

When you beat the game it will automatically send you into new game+ so if you haven;t done the DLC yet then you should do it before the final boss.

There's a really cool weapon you get from the first Loran chalice dungeon.

When you beat the game it will automatically send you into new game+ so if you haven;t done the DLC yet then you should do it before the final boss.

Where do I find the DLC content? I don't even know if I have the DLC. I bought the Goty Edition, I think it included the DLC.

Kinsei

Banned
Where do I find the DLC content? I don't even know if I have the DLC. I bought the Nightmare Edition, I think it included the DLC.

Look in your key items and see fi you the "eye of a blood drunk hunter" item. If you do then go and let the Amygdala at Oedon chapel grab you.

zoodoo

Got stuck on vicar amelia and went to the witch village to explore more. I stumbled upon the witch boss there and I was not expecting a boss in that area. But it was the easiest boss so far and the area allowed me to upgrade quite a bit.

I went back to vicar amelia and beat her first try. I guess I was not ready for her yet. Now I got the eye something item from the hunters dream. What's next? I have the electric boss waiting and the unseen village to explore but I could do that before amelia. What did she unlock in terms of story progression?

Oh i am loving ludwig's sword!!!

Milijango

Got stock on vicar amelia and went to the witch village to explore more. I stumbled upon the witch boss there and I was not expecting a boss in that area. But it was the easiest boss so far and the area allowed me to upgrade quite a bit.

I went back to vicar amelia and beat her first try. I guess I was not ready for her yet. Now I got the eye something item from the hunters dream. What's next? I have the electric boss waiting and the unseen village to explore but I could do that before amelia. What did she unlock in terms of story progression?

Oh i am loving ludwig's sword!!!

Amelia lets you do the DLC (hence the Blood-drunk eye) and also grants access to a new area from Cathedral Ward. You can reach it from
the circular graveyard behind one of the sleeping giants.

Melchiah

Chalice dungeons aren't really good as it's just the same thing over and over again. Find a lever to open the door to the boss room. They are only needed if you want to get trophies.

I dunno why people say that. Here's what the chalices offer:
It's well worthwhile, if you like the challenge, fighting new enemies and bosses, and getting the best gems for NG+ runs. One of the best looking attire, Bone Ash, can only be found there as well. The same goes for Beast Claw weapon.
I used the bypass method before it was patched out to reach Ihyll chalice, yet I still wanted to challenge myself and go through the rest, including the Defiled chalice, eventhough I already had the trophy. If you don't enjoy the challenge, and aren't going to play the main game and DLC on NG+, then there really is no point in going through them.

I did it!

It's not that bad without that strategy either. Patience pays off, and I only got hit a couple of times. Here's how I did it: https://youtu.be/dJNLI0_fOCw
Evelyn + Bone Marrow Ash tactic during the last phase didn't work that well for me though, as I missed most of the shots.

Teeth

The Loran Dark Beast (last boss of the Lower Loran Level 5 Chalice dungeon) is such a motherfucker.

I've gotten him down to about a quarter health by dodging underneath him and hitting his pelvic bone or leg once and then timing a dodge through his AoE blast. The problem is the timing changes when he changes his bolt charge up level and the 2nd and 3rd tier AoE attack basically kills me in one shot. So one missed dodge and the fight is over. The camera and the 30fps is hurting me too.

I've tried dodging out of range on the AoE blast, but I often get caught up on his legs or head and get smoked. I've tried unlocking and running away, but by the time I know he's doing the attack, it's usually too late to get out of range.

Anyone got any hot tips?

Melchiah

The Loran Dark Beast (last boss of the Lower Loran Level 5 Chalice dungeon) is such a motherfucker.

I've gotten him down to about a quarter health by dodging underneath him and hitting his pelvic bone or leg once and then timing a dodge through his AoE blast. The problem is the timing changes when he changes his bolt charge up level and the 2nd and 3rd tier AoE attack basically kills me in one shot. So one missed dodge and the fight is over. The camera and the 30fps is hurting me too.

I've tried dodging out of range on the AoE blast, but I often get caught up on his legs or head and get smoked. I've tried unlocking and running away, but by the time I know he's doing the attack, it's usually too late to get out of range.

Anyone got any hot tips?

What weapon are you using? For me, the whip form of Threaded Cane, with Fire Paper, worked very well against the larger beasts in the chalices. I tried using Whirligig Saw and Saw Cleaver, but they couldn't compete with the whip's reach and more guaranteed hits. Bolt resistant gear and runes increase your chances as well.

BHK3

Banned

Anyone got any hot tips?

Pungent blood cocktails. Throw it at a wall with him near you. Get the kirkhammer, transform it, fire paper, hold R2 and crush him to dust.

Teeth

What weapon are you using? For me, the whip form of Threaded Cane, with Fire Paper, worked very well against the larger beasts in the chalices. I tried using Whirligig Saw and Saw Cleaver, but they couldn't compete with the whip's reach and more guaranteed hits. Bolt resistant gear and runes increase your chances as well.

Threaded Cane was probably my least favourite weapon, so I've only got it at +3. I don't have The Old Hunters DLC (yet), so no Whirligig. Bone Ash set for armor, so I'm maxed out on Bolt defense.

My two +10 weapons are cleaver and Ludwig's blade. I need the reach on the overhead strike, so I've generally been using the transformed version of either and have had the best success with Ludwig's with L2 attacks (high damage <about 600 per strike>, good coverage both overhead and laterally).

I've stunned him a couple of times, which has made him power down a bolt level by one and allows me to get another hit or two, but once he gets below 50% he is just going at me constantly. I can usually get under him, but then it's just a matter of time before he blasts and I'm only usually dodging about 2 out of 3 blasts. The lvl 1 blast only does about 40% damage on me, but by level 2 or 3, depending on distance, it's 80-100% damage.

I've tried to suss out the timing, but it's tough. On lvl 1 blasts, I've found counting 1-2-3 and dodging on 3 usually is a decent timing, but lvl 2 and 3 blasts seem to have some variance (though often a count of 1-2-3-4 and dodging just after 4 does it). I've tried watching the animation, and dodging right when his head starts to ascend, but 30fps means it's usually a 1or 2 frame window. I also have to be able to see it. I've tried going off of the sound too, but that seems inconsistent sometimes.

For a completely different strategy, I've tried dodging backwards, but he just overwhelms. It also sucks when he knocks me down and is doing attacks as I stand. There doesn't seem to be any frame advantage on getup, I've tried mashing the dodge button, but he just hits me before the dodge initiates on getup. It feels kind of cheap, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. If I get caught with a swipe or smash that knocks me down, that's pretty much game over stun lock death.

Melchiah

Threaded Cane was probably my least favourite weapon, so I've only got it at +3. I don't have The Old Hunters DLC (yet), so no Whirligig. Bone Ash set for armor, so I'm maxed out on Bolt defense.

My two +10 weapons are cleaver and Ludwig's blade. I need the reach on the overhead strike, so I've generally been using the transformed version of either and have had the best success with Ludwig's with L2 attacks (high damage <about 600 per strike>, good coverage both overhead and laterally).

I've stunned him a couple of times, which has made him power down a bolt level by one and allows me to get another hit or two, but once he gets below 50% he is just going at me constantly. I can usually get under him, but then it's just a matter of time before he blasts and I'm only usually dodging about 2 out of 3 blasts. The lvl 1 blast only does about 40% damage on me, but by level 2 or 3, depending on distance, it's 80-100% damage.

I've tried to suss out the timing, but it's tough. On lvl 1 blasts, I've found counting 1-2-3 and dodging on 3 usually is a decent timing, but lvl 2 and 3 blasts seem to have some variance (though often a count of 1-2-3-4 and dodging just after 4 does it). I've tried watching the animation, and dodging right when his head starts to ascend, but 30fps means it's usually a 1or 2 frame window. I also have to be able to see it. I've tried going off of the sound too, but that seems inconsistent sometimes.

For a completely different strategy, I've tried dodging backwards, but he just overwhelms. It also sucks when he knocks me down and is doing attacks as I stand. There doesn't seem to be any frame advantage on getup, I've tried mashing the dodge button, but he just hits me before the dodge initiates on getup. It feels kind of cheap, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. If I get caught with a swipe or smash that knocks me down, that's pretty much game over stun lock death.

It's been a while, so I don't remember how the fight went exactly, but I presume it went like the others against big beasts; swinging the whip between the legs. There's a good chance of hitting its head that way as well. The whip is also good for keeping the enemy further away from you. Saw Cleaver's similar +20% damage against beasts should help, but it just didn't work as well as the whip for me, probably partly because of the lack of experience with that weapon.

It's not the same thing, but here's how the whip worked against the main game's Darkbeast: https://youtu.be/S4S_62uJpmo

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I will never take Amygdala down :(

Edit: Fuck it. I will save a Savegame from before Gehrmann and just finish the game. I guess I will never take down Amgydala when leave the game now but I dont want to spend more time on this game.
Thuesday I am going to kill the Moon Presence and that will it be.

Teeth

It's been a while, so I don't remember how the fight went exactly, but I presume it went like the others against big beasts; swinging the whip between the legs. There's a good chance of hitting its head that way as well. The whip is also good for keeping the enemy further away from you. Saw Cleaver's similar +20% damage against beasts should help, but it just didn't work as well as the whip for me, probably partly because of the lack of experience with that weapon.

It's not the same thing, but here's how the whip worked against the main game's Darkbeast: https://youtu.be/S4S_62uJpmo

Yeah, Paarl's not too bad because he's easy to stun lock or overwhelm. A couple of hits on the head and he collapses. Four or five hits on a leg and he collapses. You can just tank the fight with healing because he goes down easy enough. Additionally, he doesn't react as fast as the Loran Darkbeast.

I guess I'll keep going at it. I've come so close so many times. Then the next run I'll get killed with him at almost full health. It's very frustrating.

Saya

Anyone got any hot tips?

Poison knives work great as well. Throw 2 every once in a while. Keep evading backwards in a circular motion. Also needs a bit of melee towards the end, you can't get him all the way down with just knives.

Teeth

Poison knives work great as well. Throw 2 every once in a while. Keep evading backwards in a circular motion. Also needs a bit of melee towards the end, you can't get him all the way down with just knives.

I have this weird mentality where I won't use any items or cheese on bosses in Souls games. I feel like I should be able to beat every fight solo with just melee (and have so far), so I just keep going at it til i succeed. I'll sleep on it tonight. I'll beat him eventually.

I really dislike the chalice dungeons. The structures aren't too bad as you can just suicide run for all the items you need and the lever then fight the level boss but the bosses are so tedious. Really dislike the second stage of fights now as they begin to come across as super lazy and ruin what were originally really fun fights, fun first part followed by the boss going mental but also being a damage sponge so the fight is super repetitive, just ends up being about waiting to get in a few hits and dodging to not get caught in a combo. It is disappointing that the last boss of the DLC is essentially this as well.

Most fights throughout the main game I never really bothered with the visceral attacks, I took advantage if they happened but generally found the fights more fun to find the sweat spot and be super aggressive. Now I just end up going for the visceral which is boring, really can not be arsed getting the red jelly anymore.

Started Nioh to disperse the tedium and my word it is a good game so far. Highly recommend it if you like Bloodborne.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Word of warning for people - I like Bloodborne, and hated Nioh. They're nothing alike, except in the most basic ways. Just saying. :)
Oh come on. Saying "they're nothing alike" is as reductive and silly as saying "Nioh is just a Soulsborne clone". Nioh obviously draws significant influence from Soulsborne games, while doing its own thing.

Sarcasm

Yeah impliments damage sponges and OHKs more often =p

But seriously, they should have kept the demo up. (I don't know if it is..playing BB lol).

Top Bottom