• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Jombie

I wouldn't call Headless Bloodletting Beast a relaxing jaunt and the last one can be a bit of a pain if you don't keep her clones down to a minimum. I once got mobbed by them at the end of the fight once and got killed.

I love Yharnam, one of my favorite bosses in the game. Bosses like Bloodletting and Loran Darkbeast are just annoying because you can't see them half the time. It's the reason why I think Gerhman, Gascoigne, Yharnam, and Logarius are the best bosses in the game - they don't feel like a crapshoot due to the camera.

I love Yharnam, one of my favorite bosses in the game. Bosses like Bloodletting and Loran Darkbeast are just annoying because you can't see them half the time. It's the reason why I think Gerhman, Gascoigne, Yharnam, and Logarius are the best bosses in the game - they don't feel like a crapshoot due to the camera.
You seem to like the more human sized bosses the most, which is pretty cool. I loved the music for Yharnam's last phase, that shit was just epic. My favorites are Ebrietas, Amelia, Yharnam, SOY, and Logarius. They seem to be the least cheap minus Ebrietas' charge and beam spam move. The fights with those guys are always just epic.

Melchiah

You seem to like the more human sized bosses the most, which is pretty cool. I loved the music for Yharnam's last phase, that shit was just epic. My favorites are Ebrietas, Amelia, Yharnam, SOY, and Logarius. They seem to be the least cheap minus Ebrietas' charge and beam spam move. The fights with those guys are always just epic.

Aside from Yharnam, my faves would be Micolash, BSB, and Gascoigne. All different from each other, and most of them are interesting from a story point of view.

Aside from Yharnam, my faves would be Micolash, BSB, and Gascoigne. All different from each other, and most of them are interesting from a story point of view.
BSB is probably my least favorite, I even like Abhorrent Beast more than him. BSB is usually my wall boss for some odd reason. Loran Dark Beast is a god damn pain too.

Melchiah

BSB is probably my least favorite, I even like Abhorrent Beast more than him. BSB is usually my wall boss for some odd reason. Loran Dark Beast is a god damn pain too.

BSB was a wall to me on the first playthrough, but that goes for Gascoigne and most others as well. ;) I've grown to enjoy the fights against BSB after I learned how to parry its attacks in Ailing Loran.

Nobody else likes Mergo's Wet Nurse? It might be my favorite boss design in the Souls/BB series.

I liked it, but it's not among my top favorites. My least favorites would be Rom and Ebrietas from the main game, and Pthumerian Descendant and Abhorrent Beast from the chalices. Basically those I had most trouble with. Shadows aren't among my favorites either, as I generally hate mobs as bosses.

BSB was a wall to me on the first playthrough, but that goes for Gascoigne and most others as well. ;) I've grown to enjoy the fights against BSB after I learned how to parry its attacks in Ailing Loran.

I liked it, but it's not among my top favorites. My least favorites would be Rom and Ebrietas from the main game, and Pthumerian Descendant and Abhorrent Beast from the chalices. Basically those I had most trouble with. Shadows aren't among my favorites either, as I generally hate mobs as bosses.
How can you hate Ms. What the fuck is that thing AKA Ebrietas? I get that she's hard, but I've always had a good amount of fun fighting her. Granted Pthumerian Descendant is an asshat and Rom just doesn't have that much depth to her, but Ebrietas was always pretty fun to me, especially that second or third phase where she starts flying at you.

Melchiah

How can you hate Ms. What the fuck is that thing AKA Ebrietas? I get that she's hard, but I've always had a good amount of fun fighting her. Granted Pthumerian Descendant is an asshat and Rom just doesn't have that much depth to her, but Ebrietas was always pretty fun to me, especially that second or third phase where she starts flying at you.

It stems from how I beat my head against the wall when I fought her the first time. She was a lot easier in Isz, and I actually beat her there on the first try. I just don't find her as fun as others. I've yet to beat her on NG+, so maybe I should try another tactic, and to keep more distance instead of being up close and personal with her ass?

EDIT:
Any version of the Undead Giant in the chalices is the worst boss. That's the one boss I don't think anyone has ever said they liked.

They can be a pain in the ass, but Evelyn + Bone Marrow Ash combo works well during the last phase.

Frodo

So, I finally finished the Chalice Dungeons (and hated every single bit of it, apart from [some] bosses), and went straight to NG+.

I must have finished NG+ in... 20 minutes?

I just ran (like RAN!) though the levels straight to the boss door (never mind opening shortcuts or anything, just run!), ring the Beckoning Bell, wait a few minutes for a kind hunter to appear and...profit.

It was ridiculously easy, and apart from Micolash (and that ridiculous 1HKO A Call Beyond) I had no problems with any of the bosses this time, even Father Gragoine that gave me a good beating the first time was just a cruise.

So, I finally finished the Chalice Dungeons (and hated every single bit of it, apart from [some] bosses), and went straight to NG+.

I must have finished NG+ in... 20 minutes?

20 minutes! i think your officially the fastest in the world then.
i hope you recorded your run.

Frodo

It's a little bit on the hyperbole side, guys, but without counting the waiting time for the summons it must have been not too far away from that mark. I didn't do anything optional, though. Just the absolutely necessary. Also didn't kill any enemy I absolutely didn't have to. Didn't pick any items.

It's a little bit on the hyperbole side, guys, but without counting the waiting time for the summons it must have been not too far away from that mark. I didn't do anything optional, though. Just the absolutely necessary. Also didn't kill any enemy I absolutely didn't have to. Didn't pick any items.
I hope you got shit like the Messengers Gift on your first playthrough.

Heysoos

I'm on Nightmare Frontier. Any tips on how to beat the Winter Lantern that's in the pit that you get pushed into? I already lost 100k echoes to him. Pissing me off. Just looking at me is enough to kill me. -_-

I'm on Nightmare Frontier. Any tips on how to beat the Winter Lantern that's in the pit that you get pushed into? I already lost 100k echoes to him. Pissing me off. Just looking at me is enough to kill me. -_-

I guess just wear armor with high frenzy resistance and dump all your insight into the messenger shop, and bring sedatives. Are you trying to get those echoes back or just going for the messenger's gift? I did a suicide run to get the item and bold hunters mark'd the fuck out of there. So annoying.

Frodo

I hope you got shit like the Messengers Gift on your first playthrough.

I did! ^^

I guess just wear armor with high frenzy resistance and dump all your insight into the messenger shop, and bring sedatives. Are you trying to get those echoes back or just going for the messenger's gift? I did a suicide run to get the item and bold hunters mark'd the fuck out of there. So annoying.

You can also use that rune that adds more Frenzy resistance. But I guess the suicide run is the best tactic for the Messenger's Gift. It's less frustrating. Those brain enemies are a pain.

Just got the platinum for Bloodborne, #32. The Yharnam Queen is easy once you memorize her attack patterns. Not gonna do Chalice dungeons on my other characters. Had enough of it on one character. Might get my strength character near endgame and debating if I want to raise my Bloodtinge build or not.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So per some comments in this thread, I discovered I had totally passed up the Cleric Beast. After some hunting, I found him...Fun fight, but still haven't defeated him yet. I think I had a fight going for like 20 minutes and he was at 25% health and I was out of vials. Either I'm doing something wrong or that fight is supposed to take a long ass time.

When can I get a new weapon? The Threaded Cane isn't as fun as I thought it might be.

So per some comments in this thread, I discovered I had totally passed up the Cleric Beast. After some hunting, I found him...Fun fight, but still haven't defeated him yet. I think I had a fight going for like 20 minutes and he was at 25% health and I was out of vials. Either I'm doing something wrong or that fight is supposed to take a long ass time.

When can I get a new weapon? The Threaded Cane isn't as fun as I thought it might be.

The Saw Cleaver is good against beasts as it has bonus damage, take some fire and stay near his feet.

You get two opportunities before you fight the first required boss.

1) If you're following the main path to the boss, chances are you'll find yourself in a building that leads to an aqueduct type of thing. Its the building where you fight a new enemy for the first time, has rats on the bottom, and its near an old lady NPC. If you look upwards, you'll see two bodies suspended above you containing items. One of them has the saw spear. All you gotta do is walk up the stairs you came in from, and look to your left to see an opening in the wall hidden by a bunch of barrels. Walk out the opening and you can walk over the rafters to the items and use your weapon to cut them down. Then merely go down to where the rats are to collect them. BTW there is another prize in the rafters area that is far more valuable than any weapon <3

2) Continue past the aqueduct area and eventually you should come to a ladder continuing to the rest of the main path and a
giant boar
in a tunnel. If you manage to kill it you can explore the tunnel. It contains a badge which will then allow you to buy any of the starter weapons back in hunter's dream. If you are having trouble killing the thing you can take the ladder you're supposed to take, and after a bridge area with an ogre and a bunch of dudes, you might notice another ladder leading down. Taking this ladder will take you back to the tunnel but this time behind the
big pig
. Its easy to sneak up on and visceral attack it up the anus

Kweh

Can someone explain Bloodtinge builds to me? Are these just builds where you use your gun as your primary weapon?

Can someone explain Bloodtinge builds to me? Are these just builds where you use your gun as your primary weapon?
Chikage.

In its normal state it does physical damage like any other weapon, and it scales with Skill. Its a whole different beast when transformed though. It does blood damage in that state, much like your gun, and it scales with your Skill and Bloodtinge. The Bloodtinge scaling is S at +10 and it's an absolute beast with 50 Bloodtinge. But you're gonna be constantly dealing with health drain which makes this a high risk high reward build. Super exciting to play.

But yes you'll also be dishing good damage with your guns. Evelyn and Repeating Pistol are great options for those builds.

Heysoos

At first I was just trying to get my souls back, but then I lost them to him. Didn't realize there was an item, I was just progressing, but I guess I'll just suicide run it tomorrow. There's nothing else that's important down there? I thought that's where I was supposed to be going story wise because of the cut scene that happened.

Kweh

Chikage.

In its normal state it does physical damage like any other weapon, and it scales with Skill. Its a whole different beast when transformed though. It does blood damage in that state, much like your gun, and it scales with your Skill and Bloodtinge. The Bloodtinge scaling is S at +10 and it's an absolute beast with 50 Bloodtinge. But you're gonna be constantly dealing with health drain which makes this a high risk high reward build. Super exciting to play.

But yes you'll also be dishing good damage with your guns. Evelyn and Repeating Pistol are great options for those builds.

Awesome thanks. Might look into doing that for my next playthrough!

Those things have extremely low poison resistance. If you have poison knives handy you can kill them with three or four.

Awesome thanks. Might look into doing that for my next playthrough!
Just remember to switch in and out of Blood mode with the Chikage, I usually just start off with the transformation attack get a few whacks in and then throw it back into skill mode. It's actually a pretty fun weapon.

Threaded Cane is actually a good weapon, but it probably doesn't suit your play style or your not leveling up skill or started with a class that has shit skill levels.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just remember to switch in and out of Blood mode with the Chikage, I usually just start off with the transformation attack get a few whacks in and then throw it back into skill mode. It's actually a pretty fun weapon.

Threaded Cane is actually a good weapon, but it probably doesn't suit your play style or your not leveling up skill or started with a class that has shit skill levels.

I started with Lone Survivor since it had high Vit. I don't really know which of the damage stats I should raise, but my first level up had me spending points in Vit, End, and Str. I haven't made use of the whip mode on the cane, mostly because I felt that it didn't do enough damage to be worth my time. As a new player, I could be totally wrong.

I started with Lone Survivor since it had high Vit. I don't really know which of the damage stats I should raise, but my first level up had me spending points in Vit, End, and Str. I haven't made use of the whip mode on the cane, mostly because I felt that it didn't do enough damage to be worth my time. As a new player, I could be totally wrong.
If you're using the cane don't level up str cause it gets more of a damage boost out of the skill stat. Whip mode is pretty good cause it allows you to attack from a further distance. Experiment with stepping in and out of the enemies attack range to bait attacks and attack with the whip when you're out of the enemies range. Also the R2 attack has good range and hits harder as well. I platinumed with the Cane it's completely viable as a weapon and quite versatile. It takes a bit to get used to it, but once you do you'll learn how to play around it really well.

Ferr986

Chikage.

Unless it was changed in a recent patch, Chikage in bloood mode doesn't scale with Skill at all, just Bloodtinge.

Wow I fucked up the Chikage thing lol. Shameful.

Still though, pump up your Bloodtinge, fortify the sword, and go wreck fools

I'm out of poison knives. :( Do the messengers ever sell them?
They do but the badge might be a little out of the way. Do you have access to Upper Cathedral Ward?

Frodo

One thing the Soul games need desperately is a Boss Rush or Boss mode.

Some of the bosses in the Chalice Dungeons were cool to fight, but I don't want to do it again just to fight the bosses. Same with the campaign bosses.

Even if it's unlocked only after NG++ or after you get all the endings or something. It would increase the replayability a lot.

What's the generally accepted PVP level (100? 120?), and what area is the best for getting matches?

I'm 165 and still get co-op somewhat easily. I'd say best areas would be the non-optional bosses of the main campaign, except Cleric Beast.

Heysoos

man fuck ebrietas

and is it me or does pve suck in this game? I can never find anyone to help for bosses. I can ring a bell and stand forever and not get anything

The cane does pretty shitty damage early on but it's worth sticking with in the long run. Cleric Beast does have a ton of health relative to how much damage you can deal at that point (especially with the cane). Molotovs help a lot to speed it up.

2AdEPT

Is it because you are not trying to continuously get behnid him and force him to turn? His AI is extremely exploitable. If you are standing in frontt of BSB you will engage in a battle of attrition at best, but if you anticipate his swipe attack (which you trigger on purpose by standing to his side) he becomes a no heath loss boss in a hurry as you just dodge behind him as he swings and punish the recovery animations from his attacks. Position yourself to one or the other side of him as he repositions himslef, rinse and repeat. Pretty sure this was my third attempt at BSB.

One thing the Soul games need desperately is a Boss Rush or Boss mode.

Some of the bosses in the Chalice Dungeons were cool to fight, but I don't want to do it again just to fight the bosses. Same with the campaign bosses.

Even if it's unlocked only after NG++ or after you get all the endings or something. It would increase the replayability a lot.

A boss rush is tempting, but I also fear it would remove what's exciting and special about bosses. Unless it's an actual boss rush, in which case it might actually be harder to reach the latter bosses than do them via chalice dungeons. :D

You could always look for a glyph that makes the boss appear in the first floor of a random dungeon and rush through. Do some of the bosses in the fixed versions appear in the randomly generated versions of easier dungeons? Or where they appear in the fixed ones is as early as they can appear?

Is it because you are not trying to continuously get behnid him and force him to turn? His AI is extremely exploitable. If you are standing in frontt of BSB you will engage in a battle of attrition at best, but if you anticipate his swipe attack (which you trigger on purpose by standing to his side) he becomes a no heath loss boss in a hurry as you just dodge behind him as he swings and punish the recovery animations from his attacks. Position yourself to one or the other side of him as he repositions himslef, rinse and repeat. Pretty sure this was my third attempt at BSB.

Sorry dude, but it's pretty clear that was a memory leak glitch. His AI is a lot more unpredictable and aggressive than what's shown in the video especially during that last phase. He should have leaping like a lion at you during that phase.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sorry dude, but it's pretty clear that was a memory leak glitch. His AI is a lot more unpredictable and aggressive than what's shown in the video especially during that last phase. He should have leaping like a lion at you during that phase.
LMAO, yep, he only does the same super easy swiping attack over and over again.

Any tips for beating Rom?
It might be because I literally start sweating when the fight begins but those creepy little bastards keep killing me, my axe doesn't seem to hurt them very much.

edit: he's down

First time I struggled with a boss, could beat them all in 2-3 tries, I think I was lucky he spawned near me the second time.

I think I'm at the end of the game.
Shit is on fire, lol

If this is the end then I'm not too inclined to beat it yet because I want to fuck around in this weak world a bit more.

Is this the end of the game?

Shit is on fire, lol

If this is the end then I'm not too inclined to beat it yet because I want to fuck around in this weak world a bit more.

Yes, it is. :)

Any tips for beating Rom?
It might be because I literally start sweating when the fight begins but those creepy little bastards keep killing me, my axe doesn't seem to hurt them very much.

edit: he's down

First time I struggled with a boss, could beat them all in 2-3 tries, I think I was lucky he spawned near me the second time.

Just FYI for the next time you fight Rom, the first (and second?) hits on the little spiders's heads bounce off dealing (next to) no damage, you need to either use three-four hit chains, hit them from behind or hit them when they dive at you. I think elemental weapons bypassed that too? Not sure on that last one.

Manu

Shit is on fire, lol

Yes.

But if you missed any optional areas or bosses, you can do them now.

Top Bottom