• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Edit 2: why do I always get stuck OUTSIDE the fog wall?
Does it happen to you guys as well? Being summoned and not being able to enter the boss area?

Cuz you have some prep time to face to boss in some bosses, the boss battle starts when you see the red life bar.

Holy shit, best PvP kill(s) ever LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPs_v2JAwjo

(Sorry if a repost, my first time seeing it)

It should be a hidden trophy or someting, wow.

Frodo

Cuz you have some prep time to face to boss in some bosses, the boss battle starts when you see the red life bar.

It should be a hidden trophy or someting, wow.

I mean, I get stuck throughout the fight. Not just before the prep time.

It has happened more than a few times. I can watch the fight through the fog door, and still get blood echoes/insight if the host manages to kill the boss, I just can't transverse the door. In one of the fights against the Wet Nurse, she noticed me behind the door and tried to attack, and I was able to land a few hits with the Burial Blade, and she would still deal damage to me, so everything works, except they lock me behind the door and I can't access the arena.

Soulhouf

It has happened more than a few times. I can watch the fight through the fog door, and still get blood echoes/insight if the host manages to kill the boss, I just can't transverse the door. In one of the fights against the Wet Nurse, she noticed me behind the door and tried to attack, and I was able to land a few hits with the Burial Blade, and she would still deal damage to me, so everything works, except they lock me behind the door and I can't access the arena.

I lost count of how many times this happened to me. I can't believe they didn't fix that bug yet...

Frodo

I lost count of how many times this happened to me. I can't believe they didn't fix that bug yet...

I know, right? It is super annoying.

So, I've avoided doing the Isz, or whatever it's called, Chalice because I could find Red Jelly in the Lower Loran chalice (yay to youtube!). Now I'm on layer 2 of the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice, and I literally want to die, because I can't handle this shit any more. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring. But I've gotten this far, so... Let's finish this.

I need closure with this game.

Those dungeons could have been awesome, but they are horrible. Good idea, terrible implementation.

I know, right? It is super annoying.

So, I've avoided doing the Isz, or whatever it's called, Chalice because I could find Red Jelly in the Lower Loran chalice (yay to youtube!). Now I'm on layer 2 of the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice, and I literally want to die, because I can't handle this shit any more. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring. But I've gotten this far, so... Let's finish this.

I need closure with this game.

Those dungeons could have been awesome, but they are horrible. Good idea, terrible implementation.
You have three more bosses left. Just power through and try to have some sort of fun.

Are you 100% sure that you can't enter? As others have said, with some fights you can't enter until the boss itself is started, I just run towards the fog and mash X and I eventually go through, every time.

Holy shit, best PvP kill(s) ever LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPs_v2JAwjo

(Sorry if a repost, my first time seeing it)

I nearly fell off laughing, thanks for sharing. :D

Frodo

Are you 100% sure that you can't enter? As others have said, with some fights you can't enter until the boss itself is started, I just run towards the fog and mash X and I eventually go through, every time.

100% sure. It has nothing to do with prep time.

It happened again today when I was doing co-op at Vicar Amelia. I was summoned, the summoner and another co-op player were inside and I was locked out. There is no amount of pressing X that fixes it.

Pretty annoying.

Soulhouf

Sure 100%
Happened to me day 1 when I was trying to help people against F.Gascogne and still happens to me now at least once every night when I do co-op.
I think what triggers it is when you are summoned and the host already started the battle.There are a chance that the game in your side doesn't recognize that a boss battle has already started so you find yourself locked out.
Now I either return home or wait for the others to finish the fight and at least get the reward.

Can someone help with the blood starved beast? last stage keeps owning me i can barely even get a hit in most times. PSN is same as my username, thanks.

Any tips on fighting cursed Amygdala? Been stuck on her for several hours now. I get her to phase 3, but once she starts jumping is giving me trouble. I dodge and sometimes that jump gets me. She one shots you no matter how much health you have.

Definitely raged against this boss on multiple occasions and nearly threw my controller several times out of frustration.

Tried to call for help a few times, but no one ever gets summoned and the bell maiden never appeared either so far.

My skill build got Threaded Cane, Blade of Mercy and Burial Blade.
The OHK jump is very frustrating though. My SL is at 111.

Soulhouf

Any tips on fighting cursed Amygdala? Been stuck on her for several hours now. I get her to phase 3, but once she starts jumping is giving me trouble. I dodge and sometimes that jump gets me. She one shots you no matter how much health you have.

Definitely raged against this boss on multiple occasions and nearly threw my controller several times out of frustration.

Tried to call for help a few times, but no one ever gets summoned and the bell maiden never appeared either so far.

I can help if you still need assistance.

I feel your pain. I've been trying to kill her for hours. Phase 3 always kills me. The sweeping attacks with the extra range are hard to dodge so I stick to the legs. Thing is they take so little damage and one foot stomp/incorrect dodge from the jumps = OHK......god damn I hate cursed.

Haha, just found out you have to use the other gravestone to travel to forbidden woods. I found it weird that the lanterns I lit didn't show up in the list. Glad I only completed the witch part starting from grand cathedral. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Decided to give the game another shot. Playing slow and steady is the way to go.

Early on, what do I do when I need a break or want to get up for a few? How do I get to a safe spot and leave without risk of dying and losing all my echoes?

Decided to give the game another shot. Playing slow and steady is the way to go.

Early on, what do I do when I need a break or want to get up for a few? How do I get to a safe spot and leave without risk of dying and losing all my echoes?

Exit out to the main menu. At most you'll lose about 10 seconds progress that way. The game autosaves extremely frequently.

Why do that versus just doing the exit to menu like you told me I could do? Is it an "Oh shit!" Button?
Because shit respawns when you use a Bold Hunters Mark. I only mainly use those in Chalice Dungeons, especially the later ones when I've cleared everything out of an area I have no intention or need to go back to. I just BHM out and just never return an move onto the next part of that dungeon, especially if I forgot how to get back to the lantern.

Heysoos

So, everything is going fine. I got to
The One Reborn
and jesus christ this fight is annoying, not because of the boss but because of the massive fps drops I get fighting it.

I've died like twice because the game decides to suddenly massively chug

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I feel your pain. I found that rolling towards the screen usually put me just ahead of where it landed and allowed me a few attacks on the head.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I have a beginner's question.

I was taking my time and being a diligent newbie explorer hunter. I walked around some rafters, found some terrifying crows, killed those dudes in the water/sewer that sort of just crawl towards you, saw a huge beast at the end of a corridor (whom I opted to avoid), dealt with a bridge and some flaming boulder, and finally stumbled upon Father Gascoigne.

Now upon checking the wiki, there may have been a lamp here (but I missed it). So I start the fight and fail pretty miserably. I got him to half-health, but it was mostly luck. Tossed a few molotovs and got lucky on few blunderbuss + visceral attacks. I was never able to actually dodge him - every time I did a dodge, I would get hit by the continuation of the swing. So that was super annoying. I could watch some videos I guess, but that seems cheap. I could also practice fighting "tough" enemies by attempting to kill that dude near the first lamp behind the boxes - the big dude that just walks back and forth with the huge axe.

Whatever the case, I died and lost ~6k echoes. Not a huge deal I guess. But it WAS frustrating. I didn't know how to get back to where I was, and I made the mistake of getting careless on my long trek back and got killed by a swarm of dudes.

So here's my question!

Specifically when starting out, what is the approach to getting back to your last point after death? Do you just "do it all again" and kill all the guys and tread lightly until you (hopefully) reach that point again? Do my echoes go away when I turn off the game (but still haven't died again)?

I was flying high up until that boss fight. Dying to him was a real bummer because all my echoes were gone and I was basically back to square one. I guess I need some newbie tips on how to progress after dying like that.

Greddleok

So here's my question!

Specifically when starting out, what is the approach to getting back to your last point after death? Do you just "do it all again" and kill all the guys and tread lightly until you (hopefully) reach that point again? Do my echoes go away when I turn off the game (but still haven't died again)?

I was flying high up until that boss fight. Dying to him was a real bummer because all my echoes were gone and I was basically back to square one. I guess I need some newbie tips on how to progress after dying like that.

First off, you're not back to square one. You know where to go, you've seen the boss' mechanics and have gotten a little better at the game.

If you turn off your game, you won't lose your souls. It's only if you die. When it comes to regaining a huge amount of souls, I tend to take the path of least resistance, but don't worry if you can't get them back, sometimes that's incredibly liberating.

Realising that I didn't have to care about my souls lead me to get me through some tough areas because I had nothing to lose. It's a great point to be at.

So I have a beginner's question.

I was taking my time and being a diligent newbie explorer hunter. I walked around some rafters, found some terrifying crows, killed those dudes in the water/sewer that sort of just crawl towards you, saw a huge beast at the end of a corridor (whom I opted to avoid), dealt with a bridge and some flaming boulder, and finally stumbled upon Father Gascoigne.

Now upon checking the wiki, there may have been a lamp here (but I missed it). So I start the fight and fail pretty miserably. I got him to half-health, but it was mostly luck. Tossed a few molotovs and got lucky on few blunderbuss + visceral attacks. I was never able to actually dodge him - every time I did a dodge, I would get hit by the continuation of the swing. So that was super annoying. I could watch some videos I guess, but that seems cheap. I could also practice fighting "tough" enemies by attempting to kill that dude near the first lamp behind the boxes - the big dude that just walks back and forth with the huge axe.

Whatever the case, I died and lost ~6k echoes. Not a huge deal I guess. But it WAS frustrating. I didn't know how to get back to where I was, and I made the mistake of getting careless on my long trek back and got killed by a swarm of dudes.

So here's my question!

Are you unlocking the shortcuts along the way? There are two you can unlock that make the trip to FG fairly quick.

And you did not miss the lamp near FG, it becomes available after you defeat him.

I had an easier time with the defiled bosses than I did with Pthumerian Descendent. Fuck that guy.

I think that guy was ML's grandfather or something. Definitely felt like a continuation of the defiled bosses.

Next two are relaxing jaunts compared to the final two defiled bosses and the PD.

I think that guy was ML's grandfather or something. Definitely felt like a continuation of the defiled bosses.

Next two are relaxing jaunts compared to the final two defiled bosses and the PD.
I wouldn't call Headless Bloodletting Beast a relaxing jaunt and the last one can be a bit of a pain if you don't keep her clones down to a minimum. I once got mobbed by them at the end of the fight once and got killed.

Kweh

Rom is giving me some trouble in the chalice dungeon. If I kill all the smaller spiders do they eventually stop spawning? I didn't do that when I fought him in the main story but there was a lot more room to manoeuvre then.

Greddleok

Rom is giving me some trouble in the chalice dungeon. If I kill all the smaller spiders do they eventually stop spawning? I didn't do that when I fought him in the main story but there was a lot more room to manoeuvre then.

They spawn again at each phase transition.

If you have not figured it out already, the pillars are your friends. Proper positioning of one between you and Rom means his raindown attack hits the pillars instead of you so you don't have to keep dodging around. From there, you just bait the smaller spiders over to you and fight from behind the pillar. Things get crowded make your way to a pillar on the other side of the room. Once you have culled most or all of them, go in for the attack. Rinse, repeat.

If you have not figured it out already, the pillars are your friends. Proper positioning of one between you and Rom means his raindown attack hits the pillars instead of you so you don't have to keep dodging around. From there, you just bait the smaller spiders over to you and fight from behind the pillar. Things get crowded make your way to a pillar on the other side of the room. Once you have culled most or all of them, go in for the attack. Rinse, repeat.
Even with that strategy you still run the risk of getting rained on since the spiders are weak at the sides and maneuvering around causes crap to happen.

Yep, Rom only spawns new spiders on each phase transition; until you whack him, it's not that he doesn't summons infinite spiders, it's that he won't summon any, which means no nasty surprises until you're ready to attack him. I personally recommend killing every spider on each phase before even attempting to do damage to Rom. I found him pretty hard both in the story and in the chalice dungeon.

One thing that helps immensely is doing as much damage as you can while he's teleporting. He's vulnerable until he disappears completely, you can usually land a fully charged R2 if you start charging it while he starts to teleport.

Specifically when starting out, what is the approach to getting back to your last point after death? Do you just "do it all again" and kill all the guys and tread lightly until you (hopefully) reach that point again?

Do my echoes go away when I turn off the game (but still haven't died again)?

Yes, your echoes (both the ones on you and the ones on the bloodstain where you last died) are saved between play sessions. They are kept until you die (so that the former become the latter and the latter are lost), or you retrieve the bloodstain.

In fact everything is kept between play sessions. If you quit from the menu, you'll be at the exact same point when you reload, including killed enemies, etc.

Gascoine is a bastard, expect to die a few times against him. There's an easier boss you probably skipped (probably the "huge beast at the end of a bridge" you mentioned), killing him makes a lamp appear. If you open both shortcuts, you can get from the Central Yharnam lamp to that boss in literally seconds. You can also get to Gascoine very fast if you open the second shortcut (an elevator), avoiding the entirety of the sewers. That's pretty much the entire rhythm of the game: advance, unlock shortcuts, defeat bosses. The good thing is that you now know where Gascoine is (there'll even be a fog door), so you can avoid him and work on opening it all up and killing everything before facing him again. It's good policy to avoid fighting bosses when you have more echoes than you're comfortable with losing anyway.

Have you bought the armor set from the bath messengers yet? It's cheap and offers much better protection than the starting equipment.

Also, you can probably imagine this, but by the endgame, there are enemies you can eventually oneshot that give you 10k echoes... to say nothing of New Game Plus. Don't feel bad about the 6k. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I did NOT know about these little shortcuts along the way. That should make things a lot easier now that I know these are a thing.

And the boss I was talking about was some giant pig looking thing in a long tunnel. I didn't get too close as I was afraid of dying. I don't quite know what the bridge boss is, so I'll have to do some additional exploring.

Regarding stats, do they reset during NG+ or do they carryover? Am I eventually limited to what I can do with my stats?

Greddleok

Haha, that's not a boss. That's a pretty basic enemy. You'll know a boss when you get to one! They're all fantastic.

I wouldn't worry about NG+ yet! You've not even fought the first boss! However, all your stats will carry over. You can effectively level everything to max, but the cost in souls becomes prohibitive very quickly.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Haha, that's not a boss. That's a pretty basic enemy. You'll know a boss when you get to one! They're all fantastic.

I wouldn't worry about NG+ yet! You've not even fought the first boss! However, all your stats will carry over. You can effectively level everything to max, but the cost in souls becomes prohibitive very quickly.

Oh OK - I assumed his size meant he was a boss, haha.

That said, I'm more just considering the fact that I can't fuck up my build. Thanks for the info!

E: Now that I am starting to "feel" the game, I want to get home and play it. Bad.

I did NOT know about these little shortcuts along the way. That should make things a lot easier now that I know these are a thing.

And the boss I was talking about was some giant pig looking thing in a long tunnel. I didn't get too close as I was afraid of dying. I don't quite know what the bridge boss is, so I'll have to do some additional exploring.

Regarding stats, do they reset during NG+ or do they carryover? Am I eventually limited to what I can do with my stats?

That pig is actually not a boss. It's quite easy to kill (just stay behind it) but he doesn't drop anything of note yet and there's nothing behind him but a bottomless hole. He also respawns like any regular enemy, so killing it is pointless right now.

Bloodborne is quite non-linear so exploring and familiarizing yourself with the map and its multiple interconnections is really useful.

Level and stats do carry over to NG+, and enemies drop more blood echoes to allow you to keep levelling. People tend to stay around the level 100 range so as to not outlevel everyone else, mostly for PvP purposes, but I'm not sure if recent patches removed the level limitation and instead scaled players (that might be only for coop, though). Of course, each subsequent level costs more too. All in all, it's not a bad idea to plan ahead what weapons you're going to use and focus on one or two of the damage stats (strength, dexterity, arcane and bloodtinge). You pretty much can't go wrong with all the other stats, though, they're always helpful, and should probably be your first priority so as to make fights less deadly and give you time to learn each enemy.

If you don't know what damage stat to raise, I've noticed a vast majority of the weapons in the game scale with dexterity, either alone or in combination with another stat, so that's another good investment. For beginners I think the most usual combination would be strength + dexterity, which will make all physical weapons scale really well, especially one of my favorites, Ludwig's Blade (yeah, I'm unoriginal, so what).

Oh, I realized you might not know what "scale" exactly means. All weapons give you a bonus to damage as a multiplier of one or more of your stats, it's the A, B, C or D thing next to a stat on a weapon's properties. The letter is sometimes misleading, so watch for that. Enhancing weapons with bloodgems not only improves their base damage but also their multipliers. In any case, this means that a weapon with low base damage but high multipliers (especially ones related to stats you are going to pump on your build) can outpace others with higher base damage but lower multipliers as you level up (this was most prominent in Souls games, I think it's quite more balanced in BB so that all weapons stay useful throughout).

Top Bottom