• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ramyeon

I never spent insight my first play through....Im not exactly sure what its for. The game makes it appear that its worth a ton, but I had like 30 near the end. Honetly have no idea what its for outside of making the cthulu guys appear and used as a currency.
30 is not a lot for not spending it. I'm guessing you never used your Madman's Knowledge? Insight is very useful - there's some great stuff you can buy from the Insight shop. NPC armours, elemental papers etc... It's also used for co-op/PVP.

Shiiiiiittttttttt thank you! It feels kinda wrong cheesin him like this so Imma try to fight him legit a few more times but if it doesnt work then poison knives it is!

Thanks again!
He's harder in Lower Ailing Loran cause the arena is way smaller. Get good at dodging though his attacks and it should make the fight a lot more manageable.

I never spent insight my first play through....Im not exactly sure what its for. The game makes it appear that its worth a ton, but I had like 30 near the end. Honetly have no idea what its for outside of making the cthulu guys appear and used as a currency.

Buying gear and esential items like poison knives and resines

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
just beat that punk ass dog in the defiled chalice.
Working on defiled Amy but this dick refuses to get in a set pattern so I can hit his arms.

Manu

just beat that punk ass dog in the defiled chalice.
Working on defiled Amy but this dick refuses to get in a set pattern so I can hit his arms.

Stay on his tail. It takes longer but it's easier.

When he jumps, look for the small dust clouds where his feet were and roll between them. You'll be between his legs when he lands. Rinse, repeat.

LogicStep

I beat the game last night (finally) and at the beginning of a ng+ playthrough. Should I start messing with chalice dungeons now? And I think I want to make this my first plat game so any good guides out there to help me do this?

I beat the game last night (finally) and at the beginning of a ng+ playthrough. Should I start messing with chalice dungeons now? And I think I want to make this my first plat game so any good guides out there to help me do this?

Yeah I started with them after beating the game once and that was fine, you'll be very over levelled at first, and probably a bit higher than necessary for the remaining as you progress through them, but the last ones will still be a challenge. Just start with the first one (pthumerian labyrinth?) and go through them in order, you'll get the necessary chalices from beating the bosses and if you make sure to explore everywhere including the side areas you'll get all the materials without needing to farm anything. I skipped all the root chalices except the very first one as I wasn't interested in getting particular weapons or runes. They all look very similar design wise but I liked the atmosphere of exploring that old labyrinth underneath Yharnam, and a lot of the bosses are amazing so it's definitely worth doing them.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah I started with them after beating the game once and that was fine, you'll be very over levelled at first, and probably a bit higher than necessary for the remaining as you progress through them, but the last ones will still be a challenge. Just start with the first one (pthumerian labyrinth?) and go through them in order, you'll get the necessary chalices from beating the bosses and if you make sure to explore everywhere including the side areas you'll get all the materials without needing to farm anything. I skipped all the root chalices except the very first one as I wasn't interested in getting particular weapons or runes. They all look very similar design wise but I liked the atmosphere of exploring that old labyrinth underneath Yharnam, and a lot of the bosses are amazing so it's definitely worth doing them.

Definitely agree.

The chalice dungeons might be my favourite part of the game. The defiled chalice dungeon is a rush! No fiddling about with umbilical cords or missables, just sweeeet action :D

What are you guys' favourite areas of the game?

On my first play through I think mine was
the lecture theatre (even though it's tiny)
but now i think it's the
nightmare of mensis and mergo's loft. Just really atmospheric and eerie, especially when you follow the crying baby to mergo's wet nurse

Melchiah

What are you guys' favourite areas of the game?

On my first play through I think mine was
the lecture theatre (even though it's tiny)
but now i think it's the
nightmare of mensis and mergo's loft. Just really atmospheric and eerie, especially when you follow the crying baby to mergo's wet nurse

The last area is one of my favorites as well, along with the first and the whole of Cathedral Ward. The least favorite would be
Nightmare Frontier.

2AdEPT

Don't do the poison knife trick. You better start practicing.

Thank me later.

Come on its hardly a trick..the poison drain is almost negligble, maybe decreases the time 30% if you get teh odd hit in here and there. I would recommend using the knives as it takes a coujple minutes off a very boring fight if you use the conservative approach...but it will take a lot longer than 7 minutes if all you do is throw knives. I threw knives and got a lot of counter hits in as well and it took 7 minutes; without any counter strikes it would take a lot longer and you better bring lots of knives.

So anyone use the bloodborne audio mode for the pulse headsets? Any better than normal?

If you mean the gold playstation headset I thought themost noticeable difference was that things tended to be louder than they should have been when coming from behind and sometimes I could hear things faraway I should not have heard whiel stuff right in front of me was near silent...they try to scare you a bit. Not sure it felt realistic though so wasnt very impressed....i.e. background noises were ridiculously loud when thigs right in front of you made less noise. Dont get me wrong, having a rechargable wireless headset was cool, and the idea was really cool, but the setting itself was done poorly imo. Could have been so much better if they had different settings you the user could choose for surroundings instead of what the developer thought might be cool and that;s it.

They're good areas as well. Cainhurst has an interesting backstory, and the route to
Losefka's clinic
from the woods was pretty mindblowing.
They really did have some of the best level design as well and capped off by pretty cool boss battles. I like the Lovecraftian enemy designs of some of the later levels, but not a huge fan of the level design. Nightmare Frontier is one of my least favorite design wise.

Melchiah

They really did have some of the best level design as well and capped off by pretty cool boss battles. I like the Lovecraftian enemy designs of some of the later levels, but not a huge fan of the level design. Nightmare Frontier is one of my least favorite design wise.

Agreed. I really liked the level design of Mensis though.

Agreed. I really liked the level design of Mensis though.
Mensis made sense from a design standpoint and you didn't have to worry about getting stuck on pieces of level geometry during a fight. NF was just all over the god dang place, having to navigate through a poison river didn't help either...getting the Messengers Gift is just crazy, plus there's a Winter Lantern in that area.

Melchiah

Mensis made sense from a design standpoint and you didn't have to worry about getting stuck on pieces of level geometry during a fight. NF was just all over the god dang place, having to navigate through a poison river didn't help either...getting the Messengers Gift is just crazy, plus there's a Winter Lantern in that area.

Gettick stuck was pretty common in the Frontier, especially when fighting those two hunters. Luckily they were pretty easy, and I managed to kill them without dying on both playthroughs. It was quite close on the second one though.

Gettick stuck was pretty common in the Frontier, especially when fighting those two hunters. Luckily they were pretty easy, and I managed to kill them without dying on both playthroughs. It was quite close on the second one though.
I didn't start getting killed by them till my NG+ run cause I got caught up on some geometry and probably just cause it was NG+ and they got a buff from that. Oddly enough Micolash killed me the most in NG+.

Melchiah

I didn't start getting killed by them till my NG+ run cause I got caught up on some geometry and probably just cause it was NG+ and they got a buff from that. Oddly enough Micolash killed me the most in NG+.

Micolash never managed to kill me, but the Witch did so on both times. The Frontier boss was also harder on NG+.

Cainhurst was good, but I feel visually was a bit lacking.

I think the insides of the castle were a sight to behold.

Micolash never managed to kill me, but the Witch did so on both times. The Frontier boss was also harder on NG+.
With me he kept spamming A Call Beyond, one time he did that the moment I was falling through the hole and just killed me when I landed, trying to roll away blind did not help at all. Took me awhile to get the interrupt timing right with the pistol and just making sure he wouldn't do it.

I think the insides of the castle were a sight to behold.

There were some really good details, like the statues, but the overall interior design and detail was in the low side of the game. I mean it still blows out of the water other interiors in the souls series (which always were the most lacking parts), but somehow is not as good as the rest of the game.

Melchiah

With me he kept spamming A Call Beyond, one time he did that the moment I was falling through the hole and just killed me when I landed, trying to roll away blind did not help at all. Took me awhile to get the interrupt timing right with the pistol and just making sure he wouldn't do it.

The area attack? He did that few times, but not that many. I think the skeletons were more of a threat in that fight.

There were some really good details, like the statues, but the overall interior design and detail was in the low side of the game. I mean it still blows out of the water other interiors in the souls series (which always were the most lacking parts), but somehow is not as good as the rest of the game.

I liked the lighting and detail of the interiors; the hall, the 2nd floor of the library, and
the throne room.
The area was pretty confined though.

Giever

Nightmare Frontier is godlike. An epic Lovecraftian dreamscape. Y'all crazy.

For some reason it's just really difficult for me to discern what is even going on in the Nightmare Frontier. And not in a fun way. Like, things are so busy all over the place and with such low contrast palettes that I'm not able to find which ways are paths, or what I'm even looking at half of the time. That's probably on me, but I didn't have nearly as many issues with that sort of thing in the rest of the game.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Yeah packing blue elixirs really helps with that. It's one of the only areas in the main game that I used them for. That and Upper Cathedral Ward with that Brainsucker room.

I was getting wrecked by brain suckers till I realized I just had to switch to arcane. It's so easy to forget gems exist. I don't know how I feel; was I suppose to hit them 20 times and dodge ten annoying ass grabs? Or was i supposed to switch gems and only hit them twice?

I would love to see a design doc for this game.

I was getting wrecked by brain suckers till I realized I just had to switch to arcane. It's so easy to forget gems exist. I don't know how I feel; was I suppose to hit them 20 times and dodge ten annoying ass grabs? Or was i supposed to switch gems and only hit them twice?

I honestly didn't even know arcane gems would destroy them. I always just used bolt paper...Reiterpallasch is actually pretty good against them cause of the thrust damage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Thrust attacks work just as well...

Jombie

I cheese Micolash on NG+. What really pisses me off about it is that if he hits you once you often don't have enough recovery time to get up and attempt to dodge it as he spams it again. Horribly lazy and annoying 'boss'.

myco666

I cheese Micolash on NG+. What really pisses me off about it is that if he hits you once you often don't have enough recovery time to get up and attempt to dodge it as he spams it again. Horribly lazy and annoying 'boss'.

You mean the best and most majestic boss in the game?

Melchiah

Really? You never got one-shot by the magic missiles? You haven't had the pleasure of being killed in the air on your way into the arena?

Yup, it was by far the easiest, yet the most interesting, fight for me. It differs from one player to another, like how I never managed to kill the Witch on the first try like some others did.

Top Bottom