• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsey

Banned
Couldn't resist. I pre-ordered this and Uncharted on PSN. I also have Destiny pre-ordered. All those timers taunting me.

There are only few games I think deserve digital purchases. Destiny and LBP3 I'll pre-order and download via PSN. Games like these get discs. It's one of those games I'll probably sell after one playthrough.

willooi

Eurogamer preview is up.

Miyazaki: "In Demon's Souls, you were equipped with a sword and a shield, so you could seek out an area and take a passive approach. But we're going to switch that up from passive to not aggressive so much, but more pro-active."

As such there's no shield in Bloodborne - instead, you're dual-wielding weapons that themselves have dual purposes. In your right hand is a saw that doubles up as a cleaver, transforming from one form to another with a flick of the wrist. The act of transformation's an attack in itself, suggesting that, while the shotgun in your left hand acts not as a cheap ranged weapon but as a perfect flourish to pepper off a counterattack. The emphasis might be on the offensive, but it's been complemented by a deepening of the strategic options at hand.

The diseased villagers that patrol the city have broader behaviour patterns - a mob of them may converge in a town square, working together in a hunt, before the familiar ring of a town bell will send them back out again on their own individual paths. It makes for a more organic, more emergent place to explore - enemies no longer simply spawn, it seems, but rather patrol the city according to their own internal logic.

As to how exactly the process of fighting alongside other players will work, Miyazaki's coy. "The key concept, or phrase, that we have right now is it's an open explorative community," is all he'll give away.

No shield, but a shotgun essentially acting as one? I like the possibilities here. And enemies having their own routines sounds fascinating.

IcyEyes

We saw this game today and the mood is amazing.
Talking about the graphics, this game looks absolutely impressive, the frame rate is awful for now, but I have no concerns about this; it's obvious it still needs optimization.
The character is pretty bad-ass and, a la From Software, you use two weapons with your two hands: a blunderbuss and a kind of weird scythe in the other, that can be used for short and long range.

The atmosphere is really intense and the city look impressively detailed!
I seriously didn't expect it to look so good and it was all in game since the guy was playing in front of us.

Amir0x

Banned
Eurogamer preview is up.

No shield, but a shotgun essentially acting as one? I like the possibilities here. And enemies having their own routines sounds fascinating.

Yeah, I fucking LOVE the way they're describing it. I love that even though it's clearly Demon/Dark Souls inspired, it is completely its own entity with a unique approach to the hardcore world grinding. I am giddy with excitement right now, surpasses all expectations

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
No shield, good ( ≖‿≖)

Shotgun sounds like in a souls game having a rapier or something equipped in your left hand where you can poke them to counter or interrupt them or something.

Probably a smart move to give this game it's own unique identity since I'm sure there will be A Dark Souls 3 and it will probably come to next gen consoles and maintain the shield and sword gameplay. Really curious to see this game in action and I wonder gow PvPrs will take to it.

Looks pretty sexy, definitely interested in playing (although I never got into Souls games much...I think I don't have time for super/ridiculously hard games anymore, sadly). Can certainly see why people are pumped, though!

Booshka

Eurogamer preview is up.

the shotgun in your left hand acts not as a cheap ranged weapon but as a perfect flourish to pepper off a counterattack

This wording alone makes me believe in Miyazaki even more, resisting cheap mechanics, for deeper more satisfying gameplay. From A team gets it.

Zaventem

Those dude bro backshot boxcovers took over for the standard editions when namco tried to "broaden" the fanbase. Atlus Demon's Souls covers were amazing and Dark Souls JP cover are really good, probably because from published both it themselves. Pictures related.

Dark-Souls-PS3-Box-Art-JP-685x794.jpg

2565411-dark-souls-ii_2013_10-29-13_011.jpg

Shengar

And while many of Bloodborne's systems are taken directly from the Souls' series, some remain absent - for now at least. The demo runs without a UI, although each felled enemy sees a familiar whisp emerge from their corpse and enter the player's body, and thanks to invincibility being enabled for this demo, player death isn't encountered once. "The death penalty, and the concept, I don't want to make it such a heavy thing," ponder Miyazaki. "It's there, but I don't want it to cause undue stress."
This part piqued my interest. Is that mean the fight will be more brutal as the death mechanic wouldn't be as punishing as the Souls game? That certainly a viable way to make the game more challenging.
Soon? Let them show the game to the rest of us first. Then we can worry about more weapons :p

Why not both? Gameplay footage with multiple array of weaponry :p

There are only few games I think deserve digital purchases. Destiny and LBP3 I'll pre-order and download via PSN. Games like these get discs. It's one of those games I'll probably sell after one playthrough.

Blasphemy!
j/k

I don't have any hoarding tendencies, but I can't bare the thought of ever parting with a game, music album or movie even if I didn't like it. Good thing the option to go all digital is now viable.

I have made the plunge and gone pure digital for all purchases going forward. However, the main reason is because children have a tendency to lose, scratch or get their sticky paws all over discs and are known to shove 3 or 4 discs in a drive tray at a time. RIP PS3 slim...

The only downside and problem is in the case of a Collector's Editions. I don't typically buy them but god damn if I won't be able to resist a Bloodborne CE.

Probably a smart move to give this game it's own unique identity since I'm sure there will be A Dark Souls 3 and it will probably come to next gen consoles and maintain the shield and sword gameplay. Really curious to see this game in action and I wonder gow PvPrs will take to it.

If it was a Souls game, that description would have had me thinking/posting "god no".

But it is a different beast, so I'm really interested to see how it all comes together. I still can't help but picture Devil May Cry in my head, but luckily the previous webms suggest something a lot slower and more methodical.

Eurogamer preview is up.

Ah so definitely no shield. Things did look easy to dodge, and the blunderbuss did seem to always stun most enemies. The enemy with the shield I was talking about, the (very pretty asian) lady shot at the enemy with the shield, which was blocked, but it always invoked an attack from the enemy afterwards which opened them up for an attack.

Those dude bro backshot boxcovers took over for the standard editions when namco tried to "broaden" the fanbase. Atlus Demon's Souls covers were amazing and Dark Souls JP cover are really good, probably because from published both it themselves. Pictures related.

Dark-Souls-PS3-Box-Art-JP-685x794.jpg

2565411-dark-souls-ii_2013_10-29-13_011.jpg

I also really love the art on my Demon's Souls deluxe edition:

demons_souls_deluxe_edition_box_art.jpg

Blasphemy!
j/k

I don't have any hoarding tendencies, but I can't bare the thought of ever parting with a game, music album or movie even if I didn't like it. Good thing the option to go all digital is now viable.

I have made the plunge and gone pure digital for all purchases going forward. However, the main reason is because children have a tendency to lose, scratch or get their sticky paws all over discs and are known to shove 3 or 4 discs in a drive tray at a time. RIP PS3 slim...

The only downside and problem is in the case of a Collector's Editions. I don't typically buy them but god damn if I won't be able to resist a Bloodborne CE.

I bought DS2 digital in Steam. I spent 72 hours on one character, including arena battles. I think I can safely say that after one character I'm done for years to come.

ChipotIe

Banned
That's kinda silly considering its level design seems to take more from Dark Souls.

But I guess it's good PR for the Sony fans.

Sony doesn't have any stakes in Dark Souls. They do with Demon's Souls as they do with this so it's only natural that they're calling back to what IP they can call their own.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love the sound of this but I couldn't get into Demon's Souls because I wanted to play it without a guide so I had a hard time figuring out even basic mechanics. Less of a penalty for death and more offensive based gameplay could be enough to draw me in, I did love the world and combat in what I played, but I can't be sure.

No shield and permanently dual-wielding sounds like an interesting design decision and a nice change of pace since the combat can be balanced around it. I really liked the one gameplay gif that showed the main hand strike with a backstep Blunderbuss shot. Game is going to frantic.

I bought DS2 digital in Steam. I spent 72 hours on one character, including arena battles. I think I can safely say that after one character I'm done for years to come.

What about the DLC. Are you not coming back for that? I would feel hollow inside if there was any bit of Souls content I missed.

kairu

Have dodge rolls been confirmed? I am all about rolling with no shield.

Edit: Also, very happy this game isn't called Beast Souls.

HRose

Banned
Talking about the graphics, this game looks absolutely impressive, the frame rate is awful for now, but I have no concerns about this; it's obvious it still needs optimization.

DOWNGRADE. You read it here first.

But seriously, this E3 was the E3 of delays, sequels and CG, along with the E3 where they lost all shame showing pre-calculated, scripted and absolutely FAKE gameplay sessions coupled with scripted simulated "player" dialogue.

It's a long list of games that once released will look NOTHING like the trailers: Bloodborne, Far Cry 4, Call of Duty, AC Unity, Witcher 3 (at the very least not that video in Microsoft conference on Xbox One), Even Zelda.

Above all, obviously, The Division. That's something completely bullshit that will champion a new tradition of vaporware.

Curiously, all the stuff that looks plausible is the stuff that comes out now. Like Destiny.

Combat sounds so much more active and engaging. The typical "see enemy, raise shield, wait for enemy to strike shield and recoil back, attack" strategy for Souls games seems to be dead in Bloodborne. Should be way faster-paced, too.

viveks86

We saw this game today and the mood is amazing.
The character is pretty bad-ass and, a la From Software, you use two weapons with your two hands: a blunderbuss and a kind of weird scythe in the other, that can be used for short and long range.

The atmosphere is really intense and the city look impressively detailed!
I seriously didn't expect it to look so good and it was all in game since the guy was playing in front of us.

So is this how it looked in-game? Or does it look like a bullshot?

144111834130afd077c0fopng-b686d9.png

willooi

Combat sounds so much more active and engaging. The typical "see enemy, raise shield, wait for enemy to strike shield and recoil back, attack" strategy for Souls games seems to be dead in Bloodborne. Should be way faster-paced, too.

Indeed. It'd be a brilliant change from the Souls games by making *you* the aggressor this time round, and rather than waiting for a shield stagger and counter, the shotgun makes that stagger happen from the off as you initiate combat.

Edit: Whilst also totally making your character a complete badarse.

Zaventem

DOWNGRADE. You read it here first.

But seriously, this E3 was the E3 of delays, sequels and CG, along with the E3 where they lost all shame showing pre-calculated, scripted and absolutely FAKE gameplay sessions coupled with scripted simulated "player" dialogue.

It's a long list of games that once released will look NOTHING like the trailers: Bloodborne, Far Cry 4, Call of Duty, AC Unity, Witcher 3 (at the very least not that video in Microsoft conference on Xbox One), Even Zelda.

Above all, obviously, The Division. That's something completely bullshit that will champion a new tradition of vaporware.

Curiously, all the stuff that looks plausible is the stuff that comes out now. Like Destiny.

Plausible? Destiny looks lie a last gen game with minor spruce ups.

PranooY

Damn, everything about this game just screams awesome to me. And as a player who like dual wielding weapons (mainly katana for me), I'm absolutely thrilled abt these.

Booshka

72 hours? Times that by at least 10 and then you are done for years to come. Sorta talking shit, but Souls games are best with hundreds of hours invested into them. Or, at least I trust the opinion of a player with more hours spent than just someone who finished his 1st playthrough and dabbled with a little pvp then moved on.

I wonder if that preview means "no shield in the game" or "no shield in the demo."

Not that I use shield anyway. #2handeryolo

Either way, overwhelmingly positive impressions. Can't wait!

Hopefully they don't make the death penalty too light, though I assume he was talking in terms of the demo rather than the full game.

72 hours? Times that by at least 10 and then you are done for years to come. Sorta talking shit, but Souls games are best with hundreds of hours invested into them. Or, at least I trust the opinion of a player with more hours spent than just someone who finished his 1st playthrough and dabbled with a little pvp then moved on.

You couldn't have sounded more elitist if you had tried. I wasn't trying to say that my opinion is THE important one, I was saying that I play the game extensively with one character, exploring the different branches and seeing what I like, and finishing. I even respec'd to see if I wanted to change, I didn't.

A guy who made a bunch of characters vs a guy who played NG+ and more has no advantage whatsoever. I just decided there was a point where replaying the same stuff with little changes outside of random NPC's wasn't enough. So I stayed with arena.

David___

Banned
I wonder if that preview means "no shield in the game" or "no shield in the demo."

Hopefully they don't make the death penalty too light, though I assume he was talking in terms of the demo rather than the full game.

Sounds like no shield at all and weapons like the shotgun can be used to interrupt attacks and stun enemies

You couldn't have sounded more elitist if you had tried. I wasn't trying to say that my opinion is THE important one, I was saying that I play the game extensively with one character, exploring the different branches and seeing what I like, and finishing. I even respec'd to see if I wanted to change, I didn't.

A guy who made a bunch of characters vs a guy who played NG+ and more has no advantage whatsoever. I just decided there was a point where replaying the same stuff with little changes outside of random NPC's wasn't enough. So I stayed with arena.
Ha! You are not worthy to breathe the pungent air from my asscheeks, casual! Leave before the rest of us have to teach you to git gud.

CornDogg

Sounds like no shield at all and weapons like the shotgun can be used to interrupt attacks and stun enemies

Not sure I like the sound of that. I think multiple viable play styles, including shields, sounds better. Let the player decide how to play. If no shield is better, let them figure that out on their own after dying repeatedly.

Yeah, I fucking LOVE the way they're describing it. I love that even though it's clearly Demon/Dark Souls inspired, it is completely its own entity with a unique approach to the hardcore world grinding. I am giddy with excitement right now, surpasses all expectations

Bloodborne is to Demon's Souls as Demon's Souls is to King's Field?

HAZCiWn.gif

Deimo5

The demo had invincibility on so it must be full game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom