• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh, and I saw someone in this thread and it seems quite many of people assume that the Old Hunter Bone belonged to Maria?

That is not possible, simply for the reason that the Old Hunter Bone's description specifically refers to Gherman's disciple from whom the bone is taken as a "him".

Oh, and I saw someone in this thread and it seems quite many of people assume that the Old Hunter Bone belonged to Maria?

That is not possible, simply for the reason that the Old Hunter Bone's description specifically refers to Gherman's disciple from whom the bone is taken as a "him".

It can easily retconned like Rom gender

Akara

Banned

Apparently in the JPN game it translates to a gender neutral term.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It can easily retconned like Rom gender

Not really. Nothing in the game specifies Rom's gender whatsoever, so it's not a retcon that later Miyazaki confirmed that Rom is a she.

Apparently in the JPN game it translates to a gender neutral term.

Well, Amygdala is also not really accurate from the Japanese version of the name, and yet we treated it as a canon name in the sense that we make a connection that it is a part of our brain, hahah.

Not really. Nothing in the game specifies Rom's gender whatsoever, so it's not a retcon that later Miyazaki confirmed that Rom is a she.

Spanish version refers Rom as a he but Micholash tries to refers rom as genderless the same with the hunters bone description.

EDIT: Fun facts,

The few true absolutes in Bloodborne are, The skull on the grand cathedral belongs to Laurence, Rom is a she, The wedding ring and Yharman stones are just items to prove you conquered those challenges because Miyazaki said it, outside the game enviroment.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Spanish version refers Rom as a he but Micholash tries to refers rom as genderless the same with the hunters bone description.

Interesting. In where/part of the game, if I might inquire? Because for the life of me I can't remember a single dialogue/item description that talks about Rom in a he or she manner, so I am curious where the Spanish version refers to Rom as a he so we can see what is the English version of that same instance.

Because that's a pretty fatal error that gets through the official English game, if that is true--regarding the Old Hunter Bone, I mean.

About the umbilical cords, I don't think they can be parts of a single one.
You obtain them from totally different sources. One from Arianna, an other from Iosefka (and they belong to their own attempts at giving birth to a great one, they're not relics they found somewhere), then we have Mergo's and the last one if from the Gerhman's workshop.
They are different.
The speculation about the Gerhman umbilical cord was that it belonged to a woman she loved (maybe his wife) that died during a failed attempt at giving birth to a great one. He kept the umbilical cord and he ended up summoning the Moon Presence which trapped him in the Hunter's Dream to make him his slave. The doll was made after her.
I'm reading that in the DLC there's something that might confirm this. But I've still not played it.

You need to play the DLC. The woman who the doll is fashioned after was not Gehrman's wife. But it is fashioned about someone he had an obsession over, one that the person wasnt aware of.

Also we know that it was actually Laurence who beckoned the Moon Presence. A note in the Lecture Hall reads, "The nameless Moon Presence, Beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood." It was Laurence who initiated the beckoning and presumably Gehrman was with him. Gehrman being trapped in the Dream was probably necessary for what Laurence needed to do, or perhaps it was a demand of the Moon Presence.

I believe Arianna cord is just an extra for gameplay purposes. Afterall they are called 1/3 Umbilical Cord. I think they just didnt change the title for Arianna's as an oversight. The 3 true "story" cords are from Wet Nurse, Workshop, and Fake Iosefka(Which she stole from Byrgenwerth. The Cord reads as if it belonged to Master Willem, and we do find a member of the Choir there when we arrive). I say theyre all parts of the same cord because if not there would be inconsistencies for their origins.

Okay Mensis could have received their cord from Yharnam's body. But where did Willem get his, what about the one found in the Workshop? The cords must have been around/discovered for a long time from a higher being or else Willem wouldnt have been able to ascend ROM in the first place. I believe theyre from
Kos/Orphan
and that each of the scholars(Willem, Laurence, Micolash) took a part of it when the Byrgenwerth separation happened, to further their own research. If not from that event where else would they come from?

There is a photo in the DLC which could support a major character having a child, but the evidence for that child being a great one is very little in my opinion. Oddly enough, the photo is missing part of it where someone else could be standing.

If you dont care for spoilers or want to read a more in depth theory of mine for the timeline of BB after youve played the DLC, ill point you here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1020001&page=41 Post 4025

Interesting. In where/part of the game, if I might inquire? Because for the life of me I can't remember a single dialogue/item description that talks about Rom in a he or she manner, so I am curious where the Spanish version refers to Rom as a he so we can see what is the English version of that same instance.

Because that's a pretty fatal error that gets through the official English game, if that is true--regarding the Old Hunter Bone, I mean.

Let me remember, mmmm

Rom according to random note in the mmm Cathedral ward I think, is rom the vacuous, genderless name in english, in spanish is Rom El vacuo, refers Rom as a He. I think Micolash in one of his quotes refers rom as a he too.

ScribbleD

It also says the name of the apprentice was lost. It wouldn't be the first time the gender of an unknown entity was just assumed to be male for whatever reason. If I remember right, there are situations like that in both Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne. In Bloodborne it happens with both Rom and Agatha. There's more reason to believe that the bone belonged to Maria and the item description is the result of an unreliable narrator than there is evidence to the contrary.

Alright I think I am missing something here. Tried to piece it all together myself but I must have missed a crucial element somewhere. I am at the very end of the DLC so I think I'm in the clear for no more shocks.

Laurence left Willem from Byrgenwerth because he believed that the it was worthwhile to pursue the "old blood" while Willem felt trying to gain insight and "eyes on the inside" was better and thus continued to study ways to do so.

If we look at the church themselves they have 3 factions: The Healing Church, The Choir, and the School of Mensis.

It's those last two that are interesting and causing my confusion though. I thought Laurence wanted the church to pursue the "old-blood" and thus only rely on the powers it gave rather that what the school of Bergenwerth/Willem was trying to achieve. Yet when you visit Yahargul/Nightmare of Mensis they are studying how to better communicate with the "great ones" (aka the aliens/otherbeings) and want to grow eyes on the inside. Then you have the Choir faction of the healing church which when you finally get to the Upper Cathedral, shows that they actually created a Celestial Emissary capable of communicating with the Great Ones and even were harboring a great one (Ebreitas) themselves.

Did......I miss something along the way? I thought Byrgenwerth/Willem faction were the ones trying to contact and communicate with the Great Ones while Laurence and the Church were just focused on the "Old blood"

Did......I miss something along the way? I thought Byrgenwerth/Willem faction were the ones trying to contact and communicate with the Great Ones while Laurence and the Church were just focused on the "Old blood"

IIRC:

Byrgenwerth: Gain insight to commune with Great Ones
Healing Church: Use old blood to commune with Great Ones
The Choir: Transform themselves to commune with Great Ones
Mensis: Kind of a neo-Byrgenwerth, they seem to want to also gain insight, but use rituals and nightmares to contact Great Ones.

They all want basically the same thing, but their methods differ.

IIRC:

Mensis: Kind of a neo-Byrgenwerth, they seem to want to also gain insight, but use rituals and nightmares to contact Great Ones.

I see. That makes a bit more sense. I just thought it weird because the story seems to imply that Laurence left because they didn't want to communicate but I guess that is incorrect.

Also, Mensis was an actual great one right? But the only thing we ever see of him is his brain in the Nightmare correct?

Secondly, I understand them showing "Nightmare Slain" when you defeat the Moon Presence, but why does it show it when you are fighting Mergo's Wet Nurse as well?

IIRC:

1.- by stealing people eyes and transforming people for science sake, oh crap eyes are quite bad lets only turn people into Kin pls
2.- by stealing people eyes and transforming people for science sake, bring me more people, even the church people
3.- by.....*assuming direct control* - Ebrietas
4.- Lets go radical and use the people to create our own great one, what could possibly go wrong

As for the Old Hunter's Bone, it mentions the Art of Quickening as being particular to the original generation of hunters; so if Gehrman is the primary teacher of AoQ, then he would have had more than one apprentice. Also, Maria's armor mentions that Gehrman taught many hunters, but Maria was his favourite. So the bone could belong to any one of the first hunters. It's placed on where the Hunter's Nightmare gravestone would be in the dream; probably as a general memorial to all his lost students. I would imagine it would be near the doll or doll clothes if it belonged to Maria...but if it did belong to Maria, he could have also placed the bone there in tribute to where the real Maria had gone. After all, the Bone's description only states that "it is said that he..." so all details about the Bone's owner are hearsay.

But the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst has to use an OHB to use Quickening, I suppose it's implied that the owner of the bone has been dismembered; the OHB is only half of a femur. I would guess the skeletons of Old Hunters would be a hot commodity, but OG hunter corpses should be hard to come by, since most were taken in by the Nightmare. Since Maria died in the real world, her bones could be used for Quickening, but it's awful sad to think of Maria's grave pillaged and her body dismembered by power hungry hunters. Perhaps the desecration of her body caused Gehrman to go mad and hunt for her remains, but he was only able to retrieve very little.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I see. That makes a bit more sense. I just thought it weird because the story seems to imply that Laurence left because they didn't want to communicate but I guess that is incorrect.

Also, Mensis was an actual great one right? But the only thing we ever see of him is his brain in the Nightmare correct?

Secondly, I understand them showing "Nightmare Slain" when you defeat the Moon Presence, but why does it show it when you are fighting Mergo's Wet Nurse as well?

The Brain is not Mensis. Mensis is the name of the organization born from the Healing Church but in the end branching its own way in doing research, trying to communicate with a Great One named Mergo. Mergo is the Child that the Wet Nurse is protecting. Notice the NIGHTMARE IS SLAIN text does not appear when you defeat Wet Nurse, but when the baby's voice is finally silent. It answers the efforts by the Mensis to communicate with it--Great One is sympathetic by nature, after all, just like Kos answering the prayers of the Fishing Hamlet people to curse the Hunters--but its power caused their brain to basically vaporize.

The brain is a different Great One. Presumably it is one of the Great Ones captured by the Mensis.

Sayad

The Brain is not Mensis. Mensis is the Child that the Wet Nurse is protecting. Notice the NIGHTMARE IS SLAIN text does not appear when you defeat Wet Nurse, but when the baby's voice is finally silent. It answers the efforts by the Mensis people to communicate with it--Great One is sympathetic by nature, after all, just like Kos answering the prayers of the Fishing Hamlet people to curse the Hunters--but its power caused their brain to basically vaporize.

The brain is a different Great One. Presumably it is one of the Great Ones captured by the Mensis people.
Isn't the child Mergo? Thus Mergo's Wet Nurse.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Isn't the child Mergo? Thus Mergo's Wet Nurse.

Oooooppss hahahahah yeahh sorry. Mensis is actually "Mergo's People" in that it's a College of Mensis, a separatist faction from the Healing Church. The one trying to communicate with Mergo.

Your quote means that my shame is eternal ;_______________;

Bebpo

Banned
Is there any sort of story analysis that anyone's written up for the Old Hunter's expansion yet. Still have no idea what I played weeks later. I've read the theories on various parts from this thread, but haven't seen anyone post or put online a straightforward explanation from start to finish of everything in the DLC. Seems a lot more obscure than the main game story, or the Soul's DLC stories.

Is there any sort of story analysis that anyone's written up for the Old Hunter's expansion yet. Still have no idea what I played weeks later. I've read the theories on various parts from this thread, but haven't seen anyone post or put online a straightforward explanation from start to finish of everything in the DLC. Seems a lot more obscure than the main game story, or the Soul's DLC stories.

The guy that did the paleblood hunt wrote his interpretation of it, and VaatiVidya has a sort of lore-esque breakdown of it in three parts.

I actually thought the story was more straightforward, or easier to decipher, than the main game. Of course questions still remain, mostly in regards to the Great Ones in it obvi.

watdaeff4

So I got done with the DLC and trying to piece together the timeline from a general sense.
Byrgenwerth scholars discover the underground labyrinths and find evidence of Great Ones

2. Start exploring labyrinths and researching Great Ones and how to communicate/ascend/whatnot

3. The leaders of Byrgenwerth at a crucial juncture are Williem, Micolash, Laurence, Gherman

4. The discover somehow via rumors erc. That a fishing hamlet might have a lead on what they are researching

5. They go there and likely accidently murder the OoK either by pushing to aggressively or not realizing a viable fetus was still alive in the corpse

6. Probably killed all in the village to cover up their actions.

7. Now after this discovery is when the schism happens between Williem, Laurence, Micolash. All have their own views on how to proceed (eyes vs blood vs channeling/summoning)

8. Somewhere between 5 and 7 is when Rom ascended to Kin.

9. Laurence started the Church. Scourge comes out. Hunters founded. Lecture Hall research we see in DLC is occurring and overseen by Maria.

10. Maria is furious/grief-stricken when it all hits her regarding the lecture hall experiments and what happened in the fishing hamlet. I almost suspect she was not at the fishing hamlet when that went down and when she discovered the atrocities committed there in the past by Laurence and Gherman (with others but those two were the leaders she was apart of now) is when she threw her weapon down the well.
Killed herself too
11. Laurence knows what is going to happen to him and summons the Moon Presence to help. Turns out the MP is a bit of a trickster and instead of turning into a wolf he instead turns into the original Cleric Beast

12. Laurence is killed by the Hunter in the underground cell and the church buries their secrets even more

13. Gherman is heartbroken over Maria makes the Doll. Doesn't realize what a trickster the MP is and cuts a deal to bring Maria back to life. MP brings the doll to life and Gherman is the MP's bitch now

I left out a lot just trying to get a grasp on how the older lore went down

So there's something I noticed in the DLC that I haven't seen brought up in here yet. There's a hunter NPC equipped with the beast claws and clearly has the beast's embrace rune active (but not droppable), but it's the location that stood out the most to me. Yep, he's right by where Gilbert and the Central Yharnam lantern would be, and we all know what fate bestows Gilbert as the night progresses.

Reckon it's merely a cute nod to the main game or are there any substantial theories and connections to be made?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
That timelime above is amazing. I love the idea of the MP being a weird trickster god. I think that's super interesting in concept. What I love about the great ones in general is how each seems to be working on their own mysterious motivations.

Hey, everyone. I hope you guys had a happy holiday. Now that the Holidays are over, I'm looking forward to posting more of the thoughts I've been collecting over the past couple of weeks.

So I got done with the DLC and trying to piece together the timeline from a general sense.
Byrgenwerth scholars discover the underground labyrinths and find evidence of Great Ones

2. Start exploring labyrinths and researching Great Ones and how to communicate/ascend/whatnot

3. The leaders of Byrgenwerth at a crucial juncture are Williem, Micolash, Laurence, Gherman

4. The discover somehow via rumors erc. That a fishing hamlet might have a lead on what they are researching

5. They go there and likely accidently murder the OoK either by pushing to aggressively or not realizing a viable fetus was still alive in the corpse

6. Probably killed all in the village to cover up their actions.

7. Now after this discovery is when the schism happens between Williem, Laurence, Micolash. All have their own views on how to proceed (eyes vs blood vs channeling/summoning)

8. Somewhere between 5 and 7 is when Rom ascended to Kin.

9. Laurence started the Church. Scourge comes out. Hunters founded. Lecture Hall research we see in DLC is occurring and overseen by Maria.

10. Maria is furious/grief-stricken when it all hits her regarding the lecture hall experiments and what happened in the fishing hamlet. I almost suspect she was not at the fishing hamlet when that went down and when she discovered the atrocities committed there in the past by Laurence and Gherman (with others but those two were the leaders she was apart of now) is when she threw her weapon down the well.
Killed herself too
11. Laurence knows what is going to happen to him and summons the Moon Presence to help. Turns out the MP is a bit of a trickster and instead of turning into a wolf he instead turns into the original Cleric Beast

12. Laurence is killed by the Hunter in the underground cell and the church buries their secrets even more

13. Gherman is heartbroken over Maria makes the Doll. Doesn't realize what a trickster the MP is and cuts a deal to bring Maria back to life. MP brings the doll to life and Gherman is the MP's bitch now

I left out a lot just trying to get a grasp on how the older lore went down

That's a pretty good take on the timeline. Interesting take on the motivations of the Moon Presence; most people interpret them as an outright benevolent or malevolent entity. It's possible that the Moon Presence, since they are so powerful and long-lived as a Great One, thinks the suffering of humans is amusing or interesting to watch. Kind of like
Flowey
from Undertale, who grew bored with giving everyone their happy endings while stuck in a time loop and ended up dedicating himself to causing misery just to see what would happen. The MP could have grown bored with helping the people of Earth and eventually decided that all their gifts would be poisoned, just because the end result would be more entertaining.

Laurence transformed into a beast constantly in flames but lost his memory, so he wouldn't even know why he was being tortured. Gehrman would have his Workshop and Maria back, but in the end, what he got were only echoes of the real thing. I can see a trickster MP enjoying the tragedy of these results due to the pathos and irony.

As for why a trickster MP hunt Mergo... well, as a Great One themselves, they would know the baby Mergo would be a cause for great celebration. Maybe MP's misanthropy extended to their own race? Maybe they wanted to take away the hope in the future that Mergo gave the Great Ones out of bitterness or boredom.

Personally, I interpret the Moon Presence as being motivated in ending the Scourge of the Beast, no matter what the cost. Looking at the descriptions of the Chalices, particularly the Loran Chalices, insinuates that blood ministration and beast hunting are very old practices. The Pthumerians had their own version of the Scourge of the Beast, which arose from their use of the blood of Great Ones to heal their illnesses or grant them supernatural abilities. Since the Great Ones were so close to the Pthumerians and relied on them for companionship and reproduction, the Scourge of the Beast must have been terrifying for the Great Ones as well. Some beasts even gained the ability to emit electricity, which was deadly to Great Ones. It's likely the Great Ones viewed the beasts as negatively as the Pthumerians did and encouraged using talented warriors to hunt beasts down.

But in the end, the Great Ones left Earth and the Pthumerians behind. Since the Scourge was a illness that sprouted from the relationship between Great Ones and the people of Earth, it's possible they decided to cut themselves off from their followers for the safety of both races. Out of fear of the Scourge, the topic of close relationships between Great Ones and earthlings might have become taboo among their kind.

Killing Mergo seems to be the Moon Presence's ultimate goal. So it's possible that, while most Great Ones would be happy with the birth of a Blood Child, the Moon Presence sees Mergo as an abomination and a relic of their troubled past. (Perhaps MP's opinion of Mergo extends to Kin as well, which explains why they're on your hit list.) Since the Scourge of the Beast was reawakened by humans using Great One blood, the MP became active again to wipe out all traces of the intimate relationship the Great Ones shared with the people of Earth. With a more permanent break between races, both would be safe from the Scourge.

Now that begs the question why the MP would order for Rom's barrier to be lifted and for hunters to heal themselves with Healing Blood, since both actions result in more harm than good. But I think that, while allowing hunters to use blood vials would result in them turning into powerful beasts, it might have been worth the risk in the MP's opinion in order to train a warrior that could handle any foe. At first, their servant Gehrman tells you to "kill a few beasts, that's just what hunters do", as if Gehrman and the MP don't have much faith in new recruits. But as you kill more powerful beasts, you further prove yourself to the Moon Presence, so it uses Gehrman to eventually guide you to Rom and then tasks you with killing Mergo. By the end of your quest, the holy blood medium, the Child of Blood and many of the ascended humans/kin are dead, so many of the connections that humans have made to the Great Ones have been severed. Whether or not the MP gains the hunter as a competent new servant to replace Gehrman is up to you, but it looks like training you as a hunter turned out to be a great boon for the MP, no matter the negative effects.

As for breaking Rom's barrier, it does seem strange a deity charged with protecting both humans and Great Ones would order for the murder of a Great One, which results in misery and death for the citizens of Yharnam. But it's only after the Paleblood Moon rises that the player is able to fully uncover and undo the actions of the Institute of Mensis, who have been sheltering Mergo and beckoning other Great Ones to ill effect. The MP was willing to sacrifice the whole city in order to stop Mensis. Also, many of Yharnam's citizens were infected with the Scourge already, so the MP would likely consider trying to save the city a lost cause. Maybe the MP thought encouraging the city's implosion would further their goal of ending the Scourge of the Beast despite the loss of life. In that light, you could say the Moon Presence believed in fighting fire with fire and was willing to break a whole lot of eggs for their omelette.

I have a couple other interpretations of the Moon Presence's motivations and personality, but this is my main theory. The MP really is an ambiguous figure.

So i really enjoyed reading the Paleblood hunt by redgrave and i was wondering if there was one for previous souls games... i find reading to be more immersive than the plethora of lore vids out there.

VaatiVidya made a video about elements that were lost in translation that was released today, which includes the above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WglvyYOKJpY

Carcetti

The one thing I don't get is people trying so hard to figure motivations of the Great Ones. If they actually used Lovecraftian style like Lovecraft would have, the Great Ones don't need to have motivations that humans can really understand.

Gbraga

The one thing I don't get is people trying so hard to figure motivations of the Great Ones. If they actually used Lovecraftian style like Lovecraft would have, the Great Ones don't need to have motivations that humans can really understand.

But they did, in my opinion. People trying to figure them out is natural, the important thing is that the game doesn't give us the reason.

I actually think we know far more about Lovecraft's entities than we know about Bloodborne's, which is most likely attributed both to the style of narrative and just the volume of cosmic horror work he has published versus a single game with a DLC.

Not to mention the expanded mythos. It's even a bit contradictory that you can enter a lovecraft wiki and have a huge page on a cosmic entity we weren't supposed to be able to begin to understand.

I feel compelled to believe that Oedon is the most influential Great One. He is represented by blood echoes and the whispers of insight consumption. This is interesting because it seems that the combination of ancient echoes and the cords transforms you into the next Great One. It seems that Oedon was the one truly giving you power throughout the game, with the help of MP's servants. Perhaps MP wanted to end the nightmare not just out of fear of strong hunters, but hunters that had the latent powers of other Great Ones.

I've just realized that the half mutated corpse in Yosefka's Clinic might be the blood minister of the beginning of the game. Is that possible? There's even a wheelchair near that room

Drencrom

But we do know that one reason the Great Ones got in contact with humanity is that they want offspring as they have become unable to reproduce themselves.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey all, I made a post on Reddit about a Japanese poster's interpretation of the lore.

I find the relations/inconsistencies between languages fascinating, and I thought it'd be worth poking around and seeing what Japanese lore hunters are coming up with. There's a link to the Google doc translation in the post above. Would be interested to hear what y'all think of it.

Rush_Khan

Very interesting interpretation of the DLC. It makes sense that Gehrman would've gotten the Third Umbilical Cord in the Abandoned Workshop from the Orphan (I wasn't sure where he got it from).

piece about Bloodborne, weird horror, and the history of science via The Ontological Geek:

The Weird Science of Bloodborne

When it first came out, Bloodborne passed itself off as a Gothic hor­ror game — vam­pire and were­wolf tropes set among Victorian spires and bleakly moon­lit cathe­drals. Under the sur­face, though, Bloodborne is squarely in the Weird Horror tra­di­tion founded by HP Lovecraft. The Victorian set­ting is more than just a bait-and-switch. It places the game at a moment in his­tory cru­cial to the evo­lu­tion of Weird Horror and of the place of sci­ence in soci­ety. In doing so, it goes to the heart of the world-shattering sci­en­tific rev­e­la­tions that fright­ened and inspired Lovecraft. It explores the early moti­va­tions of the genre and adapts its core ideas to match mod­ern con­cerns.

Though we travel through many libraries, we only ever read a few eso­teric and arcane pieces of infor­ma­tion directly: clues like “Three third umbil­i­cal cords” or “Seek pale­blood to tran­scend the hunt.” We can’t sim­ply look to the work of past schol­ars for answers. We have to exper­i­ment on our own and find things out the same way they did: through trial and error. We have to crush umbil­i­cal cords in our fists and inject our­selves with Old Blood like they did. As play­ers, we are sci­en­tists in two respects: as schol­ars stand­ing on the shoul­ders of pio­neer­ing arca­nol­o­gists like Willem and Laurence, and as lore-hunting archae­ol­o­gists, piec­ing together the story hid­den within the game’s eso­teric item descrip­tions and care­fully detailed envi­ron­ments.

At many lev­els, then, Bloodborne goes out of its way to put us in the shoes of Victorian sci­en­tists. That’s no coin­ci­dence. Science in the Victorian era was the locus of a pro­found change in Western cul­ture: the tran­si­tion from a the­o­log­i­cal world­view to an amoral, exis­ten­tial­ist one. The ten­sion in that trans­for­ma­tion, the fear and reac­tionary anger it evoked, were the rich vein that HP Lovecraft mined in found­ing the Weird Horror genre. Addressing that theme at its root allows Bloodborne to con­tex­tu­al­ize and mod­ern­ize the anx­i­eties at the heart of the genre.

It might be tempt­ing to con­clude that Bloodborne sim­ply reflects an anti-science per­spec­tive. Jaded after a cen­tury of sci­en­tific com­plic­ity in some of the worst moral crimes, Weird Horror now knows that Lovecraft was naive. That the White, ratio­nal­ist, impe­ri­al­ist power struc­ture he iden­ti­fied with was in fact far more fright­en­ing than the things that seemed to threaten its cen­tral place in his­tory. That the real mon­sters in Bloodborne are very clearly the peo­ple in power, not the Great Ones they invoke.

But this is FROM Software. The moral of this story is not to demo­nize sci­ence for its mis­takes, nor is it to make a trite point about the respon­si­bil­i­ties that come with power. The game spends as much time devel­op­ing the evils of the Healing Church as it does bring­ing us to iden­tify with their story. Like Willem and Laurence, we find our­selves sud­denly immersed in a world full of ter­ri­fy­ing eldritch mon­sters, a world that offers the promise of power and insight along­side the specters of death and suf­fer­ing at unfath­omable scales.

I was thinking... Oedon is formeless, and so is Mergo that is considered to be his son. So, why does Arianna's baby is corporeal if it's considered to be also Oedon's son? And why does it look like one of those "Celestial larvae" that you can find in Upper Cathedral Ward and in the Isz labyrinth?

In my opinion it's not his (Oedon's) son.

The fact that she gives birth in Oedon's Chapel is just a coincidence, or maybe a way to deceive the player imho. She might have been impregnated by a hunter (she's a whore) with blood dregs and the Blood Moon might have triggered the effect of the blood dregs or corrupted the fetus inside her: "... And when the Great Ones descend, a womb will be blessed with child.". She's also a descendant of the inhabitants of Cainhurst and her blood has special properties, like Queen Annalise's blood and that might have had a part in that.

Sorry if this particular thing has already been discussed ;)

Top Bottom