• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

laxu

I am very tempted to continue my skill build, which has almost 50 VIT and 50 SKL.
Which is faster? starting from scratch or continuing skill build?

Are you in a NG+ cycle? If further than the first NG+ then it might be easier to start from scratch but otherwise you should be powerful enough to grind Lecture building first floor (see my earlier posts for best echo grind locations) to up your bloodtinges to respectable levels.

Astral

I still hate how builds seem very limited in Bloodborne. What's a fun build. I've already done Skill/Bloodtinge which was a blast, and Strength/Arcane which I just wasn't feeling. I'm not sure what else to do. The DLC weapons seem fun so maybe I wanna focus on a build that centers around one of them.

NEO0MJ

try beast pellets, might be risky but worth it.

She already does a lot of damage to me with every attack, and almost instakills with that body slam. Not sure how well my character can survive it. Might come back after leveling up some more.

I still hate how builds seem very limited in Bloodborne. What's a fun build. I've already done Skill/Bloodtinge which was a blast, and Strength/Arcane which I just wasn't feeling. I'm not sure what else to do. The DLC weapons seem fun so maybe I wanna focus on a build that centers around one of them.

Try the Kos Parasite+Milkweed or the Beast Claw+Beast's Embrace, they should help spice things up. The former with the new spells seems so exciting to use.

Astral

She already does a lot of damage to me with every attack, and almost instakills with that body slam. Not sure how well my character can survive it. Might come back after leveling up some more.

Try the Kos Parasite+Milkweed or the Beast Claw+Beast's Embrace, they should help spice things up. The former with the new spells seems so exciting to use.

The Kos Parasite looks disgusting enough to try out.

gunbo13

Huh, I guess after Kos I have pretty much completed the DLC? Didn't realize.

Bosses NG+4 difficulty ranked
Laurence (10)
Ludwig (9.5)
Kos (4)
Maria (2.5)
Failures (1)

I'm going to collect some stuff left. I wish the DLC had some sort of ending.

Trying to help on Maria tonight, now I'm no expert but the some people have got terrible tactics, 4 beckoners have got themselves killed already by rushing in especially in the later phase.

Huh, I guess after Kos I have pretty much completed the DLC? Didn't realize.

Bosses NG+4 difficulty ranked
Laurence (10)
Ludwig (9.5)
Kos (4)
Maria (2.5)
Failures (1)

I'm going to collect some stuff left. I wish the DLC had some sort of ending.
Did you
walk up to the corpse of Kos and get the final cutscene?
Nothing major but I think it's enough.

gunbo13

Trying to help on Maria tonight, now I'm no expert but the some people have got terrible tactics, 4 beckoners have got themselves killed already by rushing in especially in the later phase.
She is super easy if you dodge and pressure her at the right time.

Sort of a tactics spoiler but I took her down her on NG+4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdIQhtYLdBY

Did you
walk up to the corpse of Kos and get the final cutscene?
Nothing major but I think it's enough.
I think I like skipped it or maybe went to get a drink. haha I just YT'd the 2 second clips cause I think I blanked when it came up.

So yea, complete.

Mutombo

any of you guys up for helping me at laurence? i'm in front of the gate ringing without password, but no one's helping. Could change pass into GAFHUNT?

Are you in a NG+ cycle? If further than the first NG+ then it might be easier to start from scratch but otherwise you should be powerful enough to grind Lecture building first floor (see my earlier posts for best echo grind locations) to up your bloodtinges to respectable levels.

I'm currently in NG. If i can farm enough to 50 vit, blt, and skl then yeah i will stay NG... but so far the only farm worthy location i can think of is the isz chalice.

btw is the lost chikage or regular better?

gunbo13

I just cleaned up the few hunters I had still alive. So basically done. Any recommendations for the DLC weapons? I try to use unique stuff but not too unique. Like I started with the cane and now run mostly 2-hand BoM. Time to run through NG+5? Ugh.

So overall the DLC gets a 0 grade for boss scaling on high level characters. For normal DLC play, I had a total armor of around 200. This is what I ran for later NG runs to up the difficulty. I had no issues clearing the normal DLC play with this armor. So the challenge was not super high there. I can recall only a few enemy types who gave me trouble running the weak armor.

For the bosses, I went with the highest not fugly armor I could grab. That lands around 270-280. The weak armor was basically impossible to run with against Laurence and Ludwig. I could have pulled off weak armor on Kos, Beings, and Maria. Laurence and Ludwig simply had way way way too much health compared to their compatriots. Laurence probably has at least 4x the health of Kos and that is probably an undersell. And both had at least 3 one-shot attacks, Laurence having more. This is with 50 vit.

Despite the horror of the two L bosses on NG+4 and the inability to play the DLC normally without re-rolling, the DLC was a solid B. The bosses were mostly original except I was disappointed with Laurence. He was too familiar. I'd say my favorite boss was Maria followed closely by Kos. As for the levels, I didn't enjoy the research hall and the fishing hamlet. They were tedious. The hunter's nightmare was the better of the bunch even if it had a lot of familiar elements mashed together. The one good vibe I did get was elements of DeS in areas. I felt some Tower of Latria & Valley of Defilement (for better or for worse).

RiggyRob

Episode 27, Pimmsy vs. Blood-starved Beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE1tzmhOWbA

It was quite good that Pimmsy carried on doing the chalices for a bit since it meant I could record this fight, which I never saved in the main game because she and Alfred straight up slaughtered it with no issues whatsoever.

It's funny how if you know that the poison won't kill you so quickly when you've got lots of health, and being hit by the Blood-starved Beast's attacks doesn't actually build up the poison meter too much, it makes for a much less stressful fight.

The arena is a lot more conducive to the fight in the chalice as well, since a flat dome makes it a lot easier to just strafe around it rather than getting caught by the pillars in the Church of the Good Chalice.

Korosenai

I haven't played this game in a long time and I'm about to start playing the dlc and I was just wondering... Is there a new level meta? I have a level 85 bloodtinge/skill character I made for pvp before but I'm going to be using it for this dlc.

Also, I have more bloodtinge than skill. Is the bow blade still the best new weapon for me to get with this build?

gogosox82

I haven't played this game in a long time and I'm about to start playing the dlc and I was just wondering... Is there a new level meta? I have a level 85 bloodtinge/skill character I made for pvp before but I'm going to be using it for this dlc.

Also, I have more bloodtinge than skill. Is the bow blade still the best new weapon for me to get with this build?

Depends on what your stat spread is. If your 25skl/30bt then I would consider getting some of the skill weapons as well. There are at least 2 skl weapons and 2 bt weapons you can use.

I didn't do much pvping but I always thought people pvp'ed around 110-120 range since most players playing the game are in that range.

SkylineRKR

I'm currently in NG. If i can farm enough to 50 vit, blt, and skl then yeah i will stay NG... but so far the only farm worthy location i can think of is the isz chalice.

btw is the lost chikage or regular better?

Depends. Lost Chikage is good if you focus on blood attack/2h mode. Its easy to get an 31.5 Circle Bloodtinge gem for it. I have it paired with 2 gems of 21 att, because all my 27% gems are shit (HP loss, or plain physical attack loss, lol). But my Blood attack is around 800 atm, and 2h mode does sick damage and hits fast as well.

I just cleaned up the few hunters I had still alive. So basically done. Any recommendations for the DLC weapons? I try to use unique stuff but not too unique. Like I started with the cane and now run mostly 2-hand BoM. Time to run through NG+5? Ugh.

So overall the DLC gets a 0 grade for boss scaling on high level characters. For normal DLC play, I had a total armor of around 200. This is what I ran for later NG runs to up the difficulty. I had no issues clearing the normal DLC play with this armor. So the challenge was not super high there. I can recall only a few enemy types who gave me trouble running the weak armor.

For the bosses, I went with the highest not fugly armor I could grab. That lands around 270-280. The weak armor was basically impossible to run with against Laurence and Ludwig. I could have pulled off weak armor on Kos, Beings, and Maria. Laurence and Ludwig simply had way way way too much health compared to their compatriots. Laurence probably has at least 4x the health of Kos and that is probably an undersell. And both had at least 3 one-shot attacks, Laurence having more. This is with 50 vit.

Despite the horror of the two L bosses on NG+4 and the inability to play the DLC normally without re-rolling, the DLC was a solid B. The bosses were mostly original except I was disappointed with Laurence. He was too familiar. I'd say my favorite boss was Maria followed closely by Kos. As for the levels, I didn't enjoy the research hall and the fishing hamlet. They were tedious. The hunter's nightmare was the better of the bunch even if it had a lot of familiar elements mashed together. The one good vibe I did get was elements of DeS in areas. I felt some Tower of Latria & Valley of Defilement (for better or for worse).

I liked Research hall. It was eerie. Bloodborne was lacking there for a bit, Upper Cathedral ward gave me Latria vibes but it wasn't enough. Fishing Hamlet looked good and had some tough enemies. Maria and Kos were excellent bosses as I feel the huge and erratic Cleric Beast templates don't really work in this game. Though I enjoyed Ludwig, he was too hard for a first boss. I was shocked at how easy the others were in comparison. I think, compared to DS2 DLC, this one ranks below Sunken Crown and Ivory Crown (fuck the snowstorm area though) but above Iron Crown. What OH offered though, was variation in areas and ofcourse a handful of bosses.

Still, From never nailed the terror of both Latria and Defilement in their latter games. That nasty swamp + giant depraved lurking there, just do it again. Make us scream in agony.

gunbo13

I liked Research hall. It was eerie. Bloodborne was lacking there for a bit, Upper Cathedral ward gave me Latria vibes but it wasn't enough. Fishing Hamlet looked good and had some tough enemies. Maria and Kos were excellent bosses as I feel the huge and erratic Cleric Beast templates don't really work in this game. Though I enjoyed Ludwig, he was too hard for a first boss. I was shocked at how easy the others were in comparison. I think, compared to DS2 DLC, this one ranks below Sunken Crown and Ivory Crown (fuck the snowstorm area though) but above Iron Crown. What OH offered though, was variation in areas and ofcourse a handful of bosses.
I enjoyed research hall until I wasted a decent chunk of time with the staircase. I'm not sure what happened but the first time I got to the switch on the very top, there was no prompt. So I was puzzled but moved on figuring I was mistaken. Either it was bugged or triggered by an event (which makes no sense). So that part was really annoying. I also felt that the rooms were repetitive. I get that it makes sense for the building but it wasn't up to par with the Lecture Building in vanilla. Fishing Hamlet was OK but felt like a less annoying smaller Forgotten Woods. Except for the short below ground segments, it was just scrappy houses. Valley of Defilement went off the crazy after you cleared the scrap wood, where Hamlet just led to Kos. Nightmare was sort of like vanilla Nightmare with enemies pulled from Cainhurst and Yharnam. It held most of the Yharnam look, which I'm glad was in the DLC in some regard but spiced it up a little. It failed to capture the freshness of Old Yharnam or Yahar'gul though.

So the DLC stages were C tier for BB. The bosses were basically the content that lasts. Ludwig was average for large scale, Laurence (FU Laurence) below average. Maria comes close to Gascoigne, Kos somewhere between Logarius & Gehrman, and the Failures were well, failures. If it wasn't for Maria and Kos, it would hard to the leave the DLC on a positive note, especially with the 2 boss scaling nightmares I endured.

I also experienced a sound bug on my last run to kill the 3rd appearance of Brador. When you go down below at the area with the bridges there are a ton of hounds. When a bunch were attacking me, the sound went crazy and then just shut off. I had a nice very quiet "You Died" to watch cause I dropped down haphazardly.

Korosenai

Depends on what your stat spread is. If your 25skl/30bt then I would consider getting some of the skill weapons as well. There are at least 2 skl weapons and 2 bt weapons you can use.

I didn't do much pvping but I always thought people pvp'ed around 110-120 range since most players playing the game are in that range.
What's a good place to put Vitality and Endurance?

I currently have 35 vitality, 20 endurance, 25 skill, 35 bloodtinge.

If I want a good build for skill and bloodtinge weapons from the dlc should I raise skill and bloodtinge to around 40?

Tuck

Jeez, Orphan of Kos is destroying me.

I can get him down to half health... sometimes, but it takes up at least half of my blood vials.

Then I get rekt by his second form - I read some advice ("Stay close to him") which helps, but tends to make the camera go crazy, at which point it just comes down to luck.

gunbo13

Then I get rekt by his second form - I read some advice ("Stay close to him") which helps, but tends to make the camera go crazy, at which point it just comes down to luck.
Use a quick weapon and dodge a lot. Basically he only has a few attacks with cool-downs where you get a chance to get some attacks in. However, he will then follow-up with some dangerous stuff. So you have to time dodges around him then, while locked on to him. If you lose reticle, make sure to lock back on so you can track him.

Naudi

Banned
Ok well I'm finally getting the itch to play again after I accidently(beer) chose wrong at the end...I was crushed and still want to punch a baby. Somebody tell me I'm missing out and have to buy this right now. I played through demons souls numerous times and thought this would be the same way. I need motivation to cleanse my palate of my previous failure.

Jeez, Orphan of Kos is destroying me.

I can get him down to half health... sometimes, but it takes up at least half of my blood vials.

i stay back for the second form, he does like 2-3 different melee attacks from far away where he telegraphs his attack, very easy to side step. and when you do side step he's right next to you, such that if you hit him once, his follow up attack will miss as well. so avoid all his projectile attacks from afar, including the bolts. wait for those big charging attacks where he jumps at you from far away, dodge, get in some hits and then back way far away and repeat.

the second form was easier for me than the first once i got the pattern down

EDIT: I used two handed ludwigs+10 btw. the timing just worked really well for me getting one hit in each time for the first form, two hits each time for the second form.

the first form i stayed far away as well and just baited him into doing those big sweeping melee attacks from far away. super easy to see and side step.

OoK and Laurence kicking my ass on NG++

Considering doing it on a new game and playing with some different builds other than the strength and skill one I've used up to this point.

gogosox82

What's a good place to put Vitality and Endurance?

I currently have 35 vitality, 20 endurance, 25 skill, 35 bloodtinge.

If I want a good build for skill and bloodtinge weapons from the dlc should I raise skill and bloodtinge to around 40?

Personally I would go 40 vit and 40 end. 20 end is a bit too low. Even if you went 40 vit and 30 end, you will see a big difference. When you invade, you lose about 30% of your health which means that you'll probably want to use clockwise metamorphosis for the hp increase to make up for the health loss so you can't use the anti clockwise for endurance so 20 seems too low to me. Try to get end to 30 and then vit to 40 and you should be good.

Ideally you would want your build to look something like this:

50 vit
40 end
base str
50 skl
50 bt
base acr

but that is way over what most people pvp at. Depending on what class you started at, that would put you in the BL 160-170 range which is probably too high to pvp with. So maybe go for something like this:

40 vit
30 end
base str
25 skl
50 bt
base arc

This should put you around bl 115 which should get you enough games. And if you wanted to go to 120 you could put the remaining 5 points into end or skl. That should enough to use at least four weapons from the dlc which will give you some variety if you get tired of using Chikage.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Basically the end of the game huh? Ah, well. Thanks.

Well it's nice for people who ignored the DLC till the end and it's nice for NG+ people too since you can buy it right pretty much at the beginning and by that time most likely they have enough Insight + Madman's/Great One Wisdom to buy 2 Blood Rocks straight, if not 3.

Xux

Anyone have luck getting Vermin offline? I got the ones from the Hunters in the DLC and can't seem to find any more not even from co-op NPCs in chalice bosses.

I enjoyed research hall until I wasted a decent chunk of time with the staircase. I'm not sure what happened but the first time I got to the switch on the very top, there was no prompt. So I was puzzled but moved on figuring I was mistaken. Either it was bugged or triggered by an event (which makes no sense). So that part was really annoying. I also felt that the rooms were repetitive. I get that it makes sense for the building but it wasn't up to par with the Lecture Building in vanilla. Fishing Hamlet was OK but felt like a less annoying smaller Forgotten Woods. Except for the short below ground segments, it was just scrappy houses. Valley of Defilement went off the crazy after you cleared the scrap wood, where Hamlet just led to Kos. Nightmare was sort of like vanilla Nightmare with enemies pulled from Cainhurst and Yharnam. It held most of the Yharnam look, which I'm glad was in the DLC in some regard but spiced it up a little. It failed to capture the freshness of Old Yharnam or Yahar'gul though.

So the DLC stages were C tier for BB. The bosses were basically the content that lasts. Ludwig was average for large scale, Laurence (FU Laurence) below average. Maria comes close to Gascoigne, Kos somewhere between Logarius & Gehrman, and the Failures were well, failures. If it wasn't for Maria and Kos, it would hard to the leave the DLC on a positive note, especially with the 2 boss scaling nightmares I endured.

I also experienced a sound bug on my last run to kill the 3rd appearance of Brador. When you go down below at the area with the bridges there are a ton of hounds. When a bunch were attacking me, the sound went crazy and then just shut off. I had a nice very quiet "You Died" to watch cause I dropped down haphazardly.

This is pretty opposite of my feelings on the DLC. Research Hall is the best area in the DLC and in the top 5, maybe even 3, of the main game. Just brilliant vertical level design, fun encounters, littered with cool secrets and NPC's, and is creepy as shit. Lecture Hall in vanilla was kinda bland I thought, though it was pretty small. Hunter Nightmare is my second fav in the DLC, notable for its fantastic encounter design and warped take on Yarnham. Honestly did not much care for the Fishing Hamlet at all outside of the atmosphere. Really poor encounters and level design, it was really disaappointing. If it weren't for the presentation side of it, the snail people, and Kos it would be far and away the worst BB area. Shouldn't be compared to Forbidden Woods tbh, as that's the best area in the game.

As for bosses I go Ludwig>Maria>OoK>Laurence=Failures in terms of quality (Laurence is a more fun fight, but the failures have cool story and presentation to them)-- with Ludwig and Maria probably being better than any bosses in the main game.

Throw in better weapons than the main game, an awesome story, and other fun toys and secrets and the DLC was a solid A for me, despite ending on the Hamlet.

Anyone have luck getting Vermin offline? I got the ones from the Hunters in the DLC and can't seem to find any more not even from co-op NPCs in chalice bosses.

Im not sure other than continue to kill those Hunters that drop them in the DLC? I believe theyre the ones with red eyes. Idk if they drop more than once though.

Any detailed reports of which weapons have been adjusted by the patch, and in what way? Only thing I've seen (both here on GAF and online) is that Boom Hammer stamina usage was reduced.

NEO0MJ

Im not sure other than continue to kill those Hunters that drop them in the DLC? I believe theyre the ones with red eyes. Idk if they drop more than once though.

I think they do. My friend got more than a couple of them despite playing offline at the time, while I only got two.

Not to sound cocky, but why do people keep saying Rom was really hard? I found him easy tbh, as all I did was kill the spiders before I dealt with him, and it was a breeze from there.

squidyj

Not to sound cocky, but why do people keep saying Rom was really hard? I found him easy tbh, as all I did was kill the spiders before I dealt with him, and it was a breeze from there.

I don't understand why people say Laurence is hard but to each their own I guess.

Top Bottom