• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

redcrayon

I didn't realize how bad the AI in this game is until my Barroth started using Mud Bath 2-3 times in a row during a major boss encounter...
Fortunately one of the skills it learns is a speed-based one, so if you chose it for speed tendency, you should usually be able to prod it into doing what you want at least some of the time :D

JC Sera

what's in them?
no idea, thats why I want to grind them ; )
I've been using him since I got him around the earliest they become available and now I'm up to Koapni Village and he's starting to feel a little underpowered. Best monstie I've had so far, but I might need to replace him soon.

I mained him until I got uragaan
up till that point he was really good

BooJoh

Fortunately one of the skills it learns is a speed-based one, so if you chose it for speed tendency, you should usually be able to prod it into doing what you want at least some of the time :D

I've been using him since I got him around the earliest they become available and now I'm up to Koapni Village and he's starting to feel a little underpowered. Best monstie I've had so far, but I might need to replace him soon.

Lanrutcon

How do I use stims to add slots to monsties?

And do we only get 1 of each?

Go to the hatcher kitty and select the gene transfer option, then select Use Item. Stims are SUPER rare until postgame, and even then it's a crapshoot. Don't use them on monsties that ahve less than 7 slots unlocked.

How many rounds is a tournament? I gave them a go early this morning but ended up losing on the third round of one and the second round of the other, didn't have time to keep playing at the time.

5 each. Aimed at lvl 35 - 40. I was terribly overleveled.

Generally your kinship stone upgrades at the end of each major area/plot development, so focus on chasing the orange arrow and work on the main story for a bit, you'll get there quickly if you ignore sidequests. Then come back and clear up riding your new friend :D

Thanks for the confirmation! I was just about to do a bunch of side quest too. I'll wait until I can used my Pink Rathian.

I feel Capcom is dropping the ball with this game. If they tweet the rock, paper, scissor portion of the battles this spin off can become huge! There's so much built in to this battle system that I feel that using guess work in direct attacks undermines how deep this battle system can get. My opinion of course. I'm not that far in and even I see the possibilities of this battle system. This is a battle system that with a couple tweaks can make all the monsters viable. Something the Pokémon franchise will always struggle with.

One thing I don't like about the ride monsters is that they're smaller than their wild counterparts. Other then that I'm really enjoying this game.

Edit: is there a trick to getting a Black Diablos nest to appear over a Diablo nest? I got 2 rare nest with a regular Diablos both times.

Also is a Pink Rathian stronger than a regular one and is a Black Diablos stronger than a regular one?

redcrayon

Being a speed type with high defence makes him quite good because a lot of power types hit really hard, but yeah, his attack is quite low, you really need the rider attacks to take down monsters once you reach where you are. I'm only just in the next area and considering replacing him soon too, but he's been a mainstay for me for ages too.

redcrayon

Thanks for the confirmation! I was just about to do a bunch of side quest too. I'll wait until I can used my Pink Rathian.

I feel Capcom is dropping the ball with this game. If they tweet the rock, paper, scissor portion of the battles this spin off can become huge! There's so much built in to this battle system that I feel that using guess work in direct attacks undermines how deep this battle system can get. My opinion of course. I'm not that far in and even I see the possibilities of this battle system. This is a battle system that with a couple tweaks can make all the monsters viable. Something the Pokémon franchise will always struggle with.

One thing I don't like about the ride monsters is that they're smaller than their wild counterparts. Other then that I'm really enjoying this game.

Edit: is there a trick to getting a Black Diablos nest to appear over a Diablo nest? I got 2 rare nest with a regular Diablos both times.

Also is a Pink Rathian stronger than a regular one and is a Black Diablos stronger than a regular one?
I dont know about causing specific nests to spawn, but whenever I fight a monster I want, Im bombarding it with paintballs in the second half of the fight, that causes it to flee to its own nest that gets marked on your map. Paintballs are just as essential here as in the main games :D

Had to laugh last night, I had a sidequest to hunt a rathalos in Pondry Hills. Popped over there, couldn't see one, and thought it would be like the early game where my Peco summoned a Tigrex in the ice area. So we stand outside the forest entrance while my Peco shouts 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough'. At which point we promptly get jumped by an Azure Rathalos. Surviving by the skin of our teeth, we try again. Deviljho turns up. I imagine my rider looking at the Peco and saying 'what on Earth are you saying!' :D

Enjoying this game so much, the mix of MH and Pokemon is really refreshing.

Unicorn

So, how do egg fragments work? Looks like I'm able to put just about any type within the given slot. If I mix too many different ones do I get something lesser or random compared to pure pieces? It's also really hard to discriminate which is what based on the tiny piece.

JC Sera

So, how do egg fragments work? Looks like I'm able to put just about any type within the given slot. If I mix too many different ones do I get something lesser or random compared to pure pieces? It's also really hard to discriminate which is what based on the tiny piece.
you want to match up 3 in a row colour wise (red/blue/green) for bonuses
the genus of the fragments is the genus of what it will hatch into. If you dont care what genus and put in what ever its just a dice roll

redcrayon

I'm over halfway through the game and have only been able to make one egg of random pieces, which was a random terrible monster with poor slots and genes. I'm not sure it's worth grinding for egg pieces compared to the time spent looking for the actual monster you want.

you want to match up 3 in a row colour wise (red/blue/green) for bonuses
the genus of the fragments is the genus of what it will hatch into. If you dont care what genus and put in what ever its just a dice roll
Thank you, I've been wondering about that!

JC Sera

I'm over halfway through the game and have only been able to make one egg of random pieces, which was a random terrible monster with poor slots and genes. I'm not sure it's worth grinding for egg pieces compared to the time spent looking for the actual monster you want.

Thank you, I've been wondering about that!

grinding is a lot faster in multiplayer than bone piles

Unicorn

Mainly looking to craft the DLC eggs from fragments. Does any DLC add new monsters, or are they all just variants or what's already in the game?

Sad there's no Volvidon, Seltas (Queen), Chameleos, or Gore Magala

BooJoh

Mainly looking to craft the DLC eggs from fragments. Does any DLC add new monsters, or are they all just variants or what's already in the game?

Sad there's no Volvidon, Seltas (Queen), Chameleos, or Gore Magala

One of the DLCs is an MHX ruleset for PvP and the reward is egg fragments for a Glavenus. I'm pretty sure that's pre-1.2 but I'm not positive. I'm not sure if there are other monsters from DLC.

redcrayon

Flying is pretty classy. Swimming around on a Lagi or Zamtrios is fun. But nothing beats tearing around on a Tigrex for sheer speed. Not sure why flying is so slow in comparison, my Brute Tigrex is now my 'noble' steed of choice!

I'm about 5 hours in, enjoying it well enough based mainly on the potential I see once the game really gets going, because most of what I've done so far has been rather uneventful. I need a Lagombi to progress through the ice cavern, how much longer after this mission is it until the real beasties are introduced? I'm talking Rathian, Tigrex, Lagiacrous, Diablos, Royal Ludroth, and then beyond to like Kirin, Deviljho, Uragaan, Rathalos etc?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm about 5 hours in, enjoying it well enough based mainly on the potential I see once the game really gets going, because most of what I've done so far has been rather uneventful. I need a Lagombi to progress through the ice cavern, how much longer after this mission is it until the real beasties are introduced? I'm talking Rathian, Tigrex, Lagiacrous, Diablos, Royal Ludroth, and then beyond to like Kirin, Deviljho, Uragaan, Rathalos etc?

If you're in the ice area, you can find tigrex in certain nests.

redcrayon

Royal Ludroth is a story Quest in the next main area. Tigrex is a rare find where you are right now, Diablos you won't see until the desert.

ilium

Tigrex seems to be really rare tho, haven't managed to find one yet. Got a B.Diablos at the plains tho...

When exactly can I start using rare 4 monsties anyway? I assume at the end of the desert area?

Royal Ludroth is a story Quest in the next main area. Tigrex is a rare find where you are right now, Diablos you won't see until the desert.

That's better than I was expecting, thanks for the response(s). I guess I'll just memorise the egg patterns for when I spot another rare monster cave. I got through the ice cavern now so hopefully the game only gets better and better.

Lanrutcon

Towards the middle of the story the big guns get unveiled (Desert) from there a steady stream of new monsters will wander into new areas. Late game the weirder sub species start appearing, like I. Lagi, B. Tigrex and S. Barioths.

So I have a Diablos, Black Diablos, Rathian, Pink Rathian, and Shrouded Nercylla. All except regular Rathian are rare 4 which means I can't use them. Lol...

What is a good meta team so I can have a goal to work towards?

Lanrutcon

So I have a Diablos, Black Diablos, Rathian, Pink Rathian, and Shrouded Nercylla. All except regular Rathian are rare 4 which means I can't use them. Lol...

What is a good meta team so I can have a goal to work towards?

For PVE? a good fire monstie and a good lightning monstie will come in handy all the time, especially if they have attacks that hit everything. Take care of that Pink Rathian.

I dont know about causing specific nests to spawn, but whenever I fight a monster I want, Im bombarding it with paintballs in the second half of the fight, that causes it to flee to its own nest that gets marked on your map. Paintballs are just as essential here as in the main games :D

Had to laugh last night, I had a sidequest to hunt a rathalos in Pondry Hills. Popped over there, couldn't see one, and thought it would be like the early game where my Peco summoned a Tigrex in the ice area. So we stand outside the forest entrance while my Peco shouts 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough'. At which point we promptly get jumped by an Azure Rathalos. Surviving by the skin of our teeth, we try again. Deviljho turns up. I imagine my rider looking at the Peco and saying 'what on Earth are you saying!' :D

Enjoying this game so much, the mix of MH and Pokemon is really refreshing.

Yo, lol... I wouldn't know if I would love or box my Peco.

I actually got a random rare nest with no mother and got a decent Black Diablo egg.

If I use all my power up items and unlock skill slots items on it would it be the same as if I got a perfect egg and raised it?

Dragoshi1

Good thing I can do these DLC tournaments offline, but wow, the AI is somethin' else.

Brachy Rider + Brachy in final round is just evil.

I finally upgraded my kinship stone so I can finally roll with my Pink Rathian and Black Diablos.

Note: Black Diablos runs fast. I figured it to be slow as shit by its appearance.

ilium

I finally upgraded my kinship stone so I can finally roll with my Pink Rathian and Black Diablos.

Note: Black Diablos runs fast. I figured it to be slow as shit by its appearance.

We seem to play at a similar pace, I just did the same ;)

How rare are these additional gene Slot Stones later on? I kinda want to use the two I got to Upgrade my B.diablos and P.rathian for the Speed Bingo...

Lanrutcon

We seem to play at a similar pace, I just did the same ;)

How rare are these additional gene Slot Stones later on? I kinda want to use the two I got to Upgrade my B.diablos and P.rathian for the Speed Bingo...

Rare. Problem is, getting one is bad enough. Getting the right one is even more of a gamble.

It's easier to hatch monsters with a lot of slots unlocked than it is to unlock a lot of slots on a poor monster. Don't get attached to any monster that doesn't have 6 or 7 slots unlocked.

ilium

Rare. Problem is, getting one is bad enough. Getting the right one is even more of a gamble.

It's easier to hatch monsters with a lot of slots unlocked than it is to unlock a lot of slots on a poor monster. Don't get attached to any monster that doesn't have 6 or 7 slots unlocked.

I see. Both my P.rath and B.Dia have 6 slots already, so I guess it'd be ok. I guess I'll concentrate on Diablos first since I may want to switch out my P.rathian with a Gold or Silver Rath later

Lanrutcon

I see. Both my P.rath and B.Dia have 6 slots already, so I guess it'd be ok. I guess I'll concentrate on Diablos first since I may want to switch out my P.rathian with a Gold or Silver Rath later

So here's how I generally approach getting a specific monster:

1. Find out if the monster is unlocked yet. You can do this by going to where you think the monster lives, and use the Peco's B ability to summon a monster. Keep summoning until it appears. If it never does, the monster ain't around yet.
2. Keep entering and exiting the zone where the monster spawns with a +rare den offering active. If there's a golden den, enter it.
3. Grab eggs from the den until you get your species. Check the egg chart to see what the egg you want looks like.
4. Is it smelly and heavy? Congrats. Search over. Ran out of eggs? go find another den.

Hardest hunt for me was G. Narg cause it literally has only one map it can have a den on.

Edit: Gold and Silver are SUPER late game unlocks , btw. But Silver Rathalos is amaaaaazing. The sub species skill is stupid good, and the stats are amazing.

ilium

Thanks, I totally forgot there were charms for rare dens.

What about that B.Diablos skill where it falls on the floor for one round? Seems risky...or is the damage so good to make it worth it?

Ravelle

Bought it and got up to fighting that quest Kut-Ku "The Veteran"

Also it seemed you were quite limited in the demo since I only got Api eggs and there wasn't any sign of rare dens like there is in the full game. I got a Kut-Ku and and Arzuros very early on.

Lanrutcon

Thanks, I totally forgot there were charms for rare dens.

What about that B.Diablos skill where it falls on the floor for one round? Seems risky...or is the damage so good to make it worth it?

It's pretty sweet, but situational. You don't use it when your opponent will be perfectly capable of fighting back the round your Diablos is downed. Downed = auto crit!

Unicorn

Wish the subquests would auto-renew or stack for multiple turn ins. Such a grind to get zenny when I spend a few hours in the field only to return and get like 3k zenny.

Lanrutcon

Wish the subquests would auto-renew or stack for multiple turn ins. Such a grind to get zenny when I spend a few hours in the field only to return and get like 3k zenny.

Can you kill the Zingore at teh base of the giant tree in the jungle? His rare parts sell for 1.5k, and some of his common parts sell for 600. Zone in, pop him, run up the tree a bit to respawn him, repeat. It's good xp too. I made a freaking fortune grinding it for levels.

Top Bottom