• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

Unicorn

gave my 3ds to my sister going to a convention, hopefully I'll get some street passes for this game ;-;

Does it queue 40 tags? Hate the arbitrary limits on streetpasses. I turned wireless off and my battery lasts like a week closed. I'm in a pretty nerdy city but public transit across a whole week netted me 0 streetpass - that's when I knew the 3DS scene had dried up so I followed suit :( I'm sure comic-con and other conventions have 3DS's, but everyday carriers are no more.

JC Sera

Does it queue 40 tags? Hate the arbitrary limits on streetpasses. I turned wireless off and my battery lasts like a week closed. I'm in a pretty nerdy city but public transit across a whole week netted me 0 streetpass - that's when I knew the 3DS scene had dried up so I followed suit :( I'm sure comic-con and other conventions have 3DS's, but everyday carriers are no more.
idk how many it queues, i've yet to get a street pass for it
I'm sad I'll only get like 10 AC ones as well due to the queing :<

kjsdfhsdkj

Just fought my first Qurupecco, that battle was hard because I went in with 1 heart. I was SHOOK when it summoned its friend. I wasn't expecting that monster to come.

This game would be a lot more challenging if it didn't have those silly 3 hearts.

redcrayon

kjsdfhsdkj

Just fought my first Qurupecco, that battle was hard because I went in with 1 heart. I was SHOOK when it summoned its friend. I wasn't expecting that monster to come.

This game would be a lot more challenging if it didn't have those silly 3 hearts.
Difficulty does pick up a tiny bit later on when enemies start using area attacks, it's possible to lose two hearts at once if you and your monstie get taken down simultaneously. Having said that, you have a large variety of healing options, can regain a heart through an item, and the main series is much the same- the campaign itself is 'low rank' and fairly easy, it's in 'post-game' where you really need to be tailoring your approach much more.

redcrayon

Yeah, I'm at what i assume is the final boss and I'm getting wrecked.
Just finished the campaign myself. What gear are you in? I took it on in maxed out Rathalos gear and a maxed out Rath sword (because it looks cool when riding a rath in the cut scenes!). It might be worth going back and upgrading your armour as the step up from mid-game monsters to late-game ones is quite large and it encourages you to race towards the end rather than steadily upgrade. Barrioth gear is pretty good too, and easy to farm as there's one sleeping in the mountains section. Ice Agnaktor is there too- any rank 5 or higher armour really. Edit your battle pouch if you haven't already too, might as well take in the lifepowder and stuff that restores hearts like the vitality heart and the ancient potion! Dragon resist gear/monsters might be helpful too (deviljho/Stygian zinogre).

redcrayon

Oh man, after years of shaking my fist at the MonHun RNG, it finally comes good. As soon as this game was announced I was excited about the idea of flying around on my favourite monster, Seregios.

After finishing the campaign and walking out of Hakum Village, I see my first red high rank monster den, and jump in. The egg nest only has a herbivore guarding it. What's the first egg I pick up? Heavy and smelly and green and stripy, a flying wyvern, that's a keeper then. What does it turn out to be? Seregios! With eight unlocked slots, I use the item to unlock the ninth and load it up with, well everything. It's now got loads of critical hit moves, immunity to poison, bonuses to tech moves, bonuses to critical, bonuses to dodge, an ice attack and a speed attack. What a beast!

More importantly, it looks very cool. :D

Unicorn

Just finished the campaign myself. What gear are you in? I took it on in maxed out Rathalos gear and a maxed out Rath sword (because it looks cool when riding a rath in the cut scenes!). It might be worth going back and upgrading your armour as the step up from mid-game monsters to late-game ones is quite large and it encourages you to race towards the end rather than steadily upgrade. Barrioth gear is pretty good too, and easy to farm as there's one sleeping in the mountains section. Ice Agnaktor is there too- any rank 5 or higher armour really. Edit your battle pouch if you haven't already too, might as well take in the lifepowder and stuff that restores hearts like the vitality heart and the ancient potion! Dragon resist gear/monsters might be helpful too (deviljho/Stygian zinogre).
Yeah, The racing at the end was surprising given the large amount of breathing room after what amounts to Act 2. I have definitely fiddled with my pouch after getting wrecked the first time. I've finally had enough to drop the 10k on exp gain and am currently grinding my level up. I'm a big fashion hunter, so I've been rocking the butterfly armor, but need a recomendation ticket to advance it further. Haven't really felt good with any weapons yet (hoping to get that tox poison weapon after tourney/arcade stuff for pvp), but the zamtrios ice hammer has been good to me thus far.
Oh man, after years of shaking my fist at the MonHun RNG, it finally comes good. As soon as this game was announced I was excited about the idea of flying around on my favourite monster, Seregios.

After finishing the campaign and walking out of Hakum Village, I see my first red high rank monster den, and jump in. The egg nest only has a herbivore guarding it. What's the first egg I pick up? Heavy and smelly and green and stripy, a flying wyvern, that's a keeper then. What does it turn out to be? Seregios! With eight unlocked slots, I use the item to unlock the ninth and load it up with, well everything. It's now got loads of critical hit moves, immunity to poison, bonuses to tech moves, bonuses to critical, bonuses to dodge, an ice attack and a speed attack. What a beast!

More importantly, it looks very cool. :D
Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about what I want my main team to be for pvp and Seregios is certainly up there as MH4U was so amazing and Sereg was an amazing new beast. I've been thinking Nargacuga and Purple Gypceros as I love me some poison in games.

If it's against a horsey, then no.

Haven't fought a horse yet, talking about the story boss.

ilium

I would really like to use my Rathalos, P.Rathian and B. Diablos more but...my Rathian is still going strong. That thing is a beast, so tanky. (But it's also 10 lv higher than the others)

Just fought Blight Diablos.

This game is beautiful.

Pokémon is CANCELLED.

AGAIN.

Pokémon is dead to me.

Hhds5P9.gif

redcrayon

Story final boss/ending spoiler
In one of the cut scenes, the cast is banging on about 'power of heart/friendship/kinship' or whatever. Someone looks at Ratha, who is getting up from a beating, and says something like 'even Ratha wants to fight!', suggesting he's doing it out of the inate power of friendship etc. My inner Hunter was thinking "sod the power of friendship, of course he bloody does, he's a Rath and they just love a good scrap, they fight to the last damn hit point, or at least they always do against me!"

Also, when the kids are chatting about inter-species friendships at the end, maybe it's just me but I thought the Rathalos and Rathian were probably thinking 'let's get out of here, share a herbivore and make little wyverns' instead. :D

JC Sera

This game really leaves pokemon in the dust in a lot of ways

street pass dens are fun
too bad they are all rathas (I'm guilty of this >_>)
Story final boss/ending spoiler
In one of the cut scenes, the cast is banging on about 'power of heart/friendship/kinship' or whatever. Someone looks at Ratha, who is getting up from a beating, and says something like 'even Ratha wants to fight!', suggesting he's doing it out of the inate power of friendship etc. My inner Hunter was thinking "sod the power of friendship, of course he bloody does, he's a Rath and they just love a good scrap, they fight to the last damn hit point, or at least they always do against me!"

Also, when the kids are chatting about inter-species friendships at the end, maybe it's just me but I thought the Rathalos and Rathian were probably thinking 'let's get out of here, share a herbivore and make little wyverns' instead. :D
Still, I teared up that the first time
your character actually talks is to comfort ratha's suffering

R0ckman

Too bad this is dead on GAF, game has a lot in it that needs documentation. How do I get a good smelling, heavyish egg for normal monsters? I'm not sure fixed dens gove anything but basic eggs.

JC Sera

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This game is getting FAR too little recognition despite being super hot fire.

Anyone get the special fragments from the new PvP battle rules? Curious what it hatches.

Unicorn

Almost have enough for a full egg from the lagombi one, but I want to do the fan club set up to see what that egg holds.
Add me and we can try and farm them:
3136 6728 2378

Currently trying to rush this story to get better monsters/genes. Holy damn this SP is longer than I thought. I met what I thought was the climax with a hard boss fight, but there's more!

And yeah, this game needs more attention - MonHun fans would love it for all of the details and nods to the main games, and I think a lot of RPG fans would be super into this because the combat and mechanics as an RPG are fucking great.

Lanrutcon

Too bad this is dead on GAF, game has a lot in it that needs documentation. How do I get a good smelling, heavyish egg for normal monsters? I'm not sure fixed dens gove anything but basic eggs.

Normal dens give random eggs. The odds of getting good shit isn't that high.

You want rare dens!

redcrayon

Honestly, I think the way forward is to go into dens in new areas to get enough monsters to get you by, but always go into rare dens whenever you see them.

Don't be afraid to use the charms and pray before heading out. If you get a charm that Increases finding rare dens for 30 mins, use it, get on a fast Monster, get out there and focus on tearing through them as quick as possible. Use smoke bombs to flee any battles that will take more than a turn or two, get the eggs, and as soon as there aren't any more rare dens in the area, go through a screen transition to respawn them. I got five rare eggs in one 30 minute run this way. Don't save all the charms for the end as it takes a long time to grind up monsters.

R0ckman

Thanks all for the info! Got a bunch of monsters with some decent genes using the finding charm. I had gotten this game in Japanese a year ago and actually forgot most of the ways this works, all I remembered was where I was in the story.

redcrayon

Happy to help!

Just starting high rank and it's great fun. New monsters, new quests, new items, and a large difficulty upgrade. Just had my first party KO against Seregios while hunting him to upgrade my new Regios armour, he can kick out a lot of damage quickly with his kicks (just like in the main series) and I foolishly misjudged a head-to-head while taking a chance on low health. Should have healed up, also misjudged the much larger health pool of high rank beasts that makes them less vulnerable to the powerful rider special moves.

I'm going to take my time travelling around and upgrade my kit options (and level up my monsters) before taking on the tower, I think.

Lanrutcon

So, the actual super boss of the game isn't an elder dragon, or a triple battle, or even a tournament champion.

It's a high rank Rajang. Jesus. You see that thing, you mount your fastest monstie and you run.

So I got a Querapeco (never did learn how to spell it) and how does its call thingy work? Will it only summon monsters that appear in that area anyway? Is it good for grinding? Also can I fly on it or not?

redcrayon

So, the actual super boss of the game isn't an elder dragon, or a triple battle, or even a tournament champion.

It's a high rank Rajang. Jesus. You see that thing, you mount your fastest monstie and you run.
Grr, I hate fighting Rajang so much. No matter what game, low rank, high rank, I just apologise for disturbing it and run the other way!

Just realised that one reason rare and high-rank dens are gold and red respectively is that the bright, less-muted colours makes them very easy to see against the cliffs from a distance while flying, that's a nice touch.

Lanrutcon

So I got a Querapeco (never did learn how to spell it) and how does its call thingy work? Will it only summon monsters that appear in that area anyway? Is it good for grinding? Also can I fly on it or not?

It only calls enemies that can spawn in the area. Note: that can spawn, not necessarily live (in a den) in the area. So sometimes it calls a monster that you can't paintball and chase back to its den because it doesn't have one in that area.

It's magnificent for grinding.

No, it can't fly. You can't get any flying monsties until the story gives you one. You'll know what you get to that point. I fly around on a Barioth. #theyseemerollin

redcrayon

You call monsters by pressing B while riding it.
It didn't work for me in the opening two areas (I had a DLC code for one) but from the third area onwards it should.
Yes, it can call all monsters that can appear in that area at that point in the game, including one or two slightly rarer finds that are a level above what you'd normally find there in terms of difficulty. For example, in the snowfields, it can call Tigrex, who can be a bit of a handful at low levels due to its high attack power and double attacks when angered. Later on, mine summoned Deviljho in Pondry Hills (who can invade battles) and Azure Rathalos long before I saw one naturally.
Yes, it's good for grinding- stand next to a caravan stand, shout away, keep fighting, then use the stand to save or head home afterwards. Use an experience charm at the shrine before settling in for a 30 minute summoning session if you're focused on xp gain.
You can also use it to grind specific monsters by using a smoke bomb to auto-escape the fight, call again and repeat the process until you get the one you want. You can then also paintball the weaker monsters if you want to chase them back to their nest for a specific egg.
No, it can't fly. The first flier you get is a story point, after that you'll find several more, flick through their abilities with L and R and you'll see it as their map/rider ability. I flap about on a Seregios (post-game only) but there's Rathalos, it's variants, Barrioth, Sand Barrioth (post game), Yian Garuga.

Edit: Lanrutcon gets in there quicker than an enraged Nargacuga :D

Thanks for that you two! :)

I think I know what I'll do when I finish working today, I have a good team and just steamrolled the last 2 bosses but I'll grind a level or 2 just to be safe.

JC Sera

apparently the only one way someone managed it was using traps

Lanrutcon

apparently the only one way someone managed it was using traps

It did 899 damage to my I. Lagi in one turn. My level 82 100% min-maxed gene-spliced, full defense nutrient I. Lagi that tears the labyrinth to pieces. Didn't even both bringing out anything else after that.

RIP, Sailgrave.

R0ckman

Does the story address why there are fewer Riders than Hunters in the world? I'm assuming that since a child can become a Rider its the safer option to being a Hunter and you basically get a monster to help you fight.

redcrayon

Does the story address why there are fewer Riders than Hunters in the world? I'm assuming that since a child can become a Rider its the safer option to being a Hunter and you basically get a monster to help you fight.
The riders hid themselves away due to a lack of understanding between them and the hunters, the story covers it.

R0ckman

The riders hid themselves away due to a lack of understanding between them and the hunters, the story covers it.

I got that part, but I guess I was looking for a little more complexity in it. I would think naturally a Hunter would be less prevalent, there are higher risks and less support hunting monsters. Regardless of there being disagreement, a person going into a battle with a pet monster and gear is more likely to survive than a lone Hunter. But I guess if the chose to put effort into make the Riding trade secretive and secluded it makes sense that it would end up this way too.

redcrayon

I got that part, but I guess I was looking for a little more complexity in it. I would think naturally a Hunter would be less prevalent, there are higher risks and less support hunting monsters. Regardless of there being disagreement, a person going into a battle with a pet monster and gear is more likely to survive than a lone Hunter. But I guess if the chose to put effort into make the Riding trade secretive and secluded it makes sense that it would end up this way too.
I think it's more that, in the MH world, hunting is supported by the guild, which has a huge presence in governing the cities, and so is supported by society at large. A lone Hunter might not have a monster but he does have several hundred other heavily armed hunters being organised by a guild that can field ships with cannons, airships etc! :)

redcrayon

I was taking on Dan's series of subquests in the postgame and doing quite well, until he gives up and the village elder sets me a quest instead...

Double savage Deviljho. Simultaneously.
My party ranged from level 30 to 50, and all but two of them were being taken down in two hits by the raw damage they were kicking out. Not helping was that my speed monsters weren't hitting hard enough to do appreciable damage. Managed to keep one pinned down with traps while I chipped away at the other, but their hp pools are huge and once out of traps, there was nothing to stop the second one jumping up and down on my head while countering the first! Burned through a vitality heart, an ancient potion, three traps, three max potions, five mega potions, lifepowder, the works. Best scrap yet, emerged victorious by the skin of my teeth, with a Deviljho costume for my cat to show for it. And three of those items that open up slots in the gene pool on any monster. Happier with the hat for the cat, of course.
Awesome stuff.

ilium

I adore this game so much that it has 'triggered' a condition I call 'completion anxiety' in me again, something I thought I was over with.

You see, whenever I enjoyed a game a lot, I lost motivation to play the closer I got to the end. Now, looking at the map with having only 2-3 areas left unexplored I play less and less each day, it's so fucking dumb :(

redcrayon

I adore this game so much that it has 'triggered' a condition I call 'completion anxiety' in me again, something I thought I was over with.

You see, whenever I enjoyed a game a lot, I lost motivation to play the closer I got to the end. Now, looking at the map with having only 2-3 areas left unexplored I play less and less each day, it's so fucking dumb :(
Don't worry, there's plenty to do once you've 'completed' it, you'll be drowning in tough new sub quests and having every piece of equipment you own able to be upgraded again!

redcrayon

I do think that if you choose to flee from combat in an egg nest while holding an egg, you shouldn't get to keep the egg. It just seems like the risk/reward is weighted too far towards the player there considering there's also plenty of opportunities to grab the egg with no monster there, to grab the egg while its sleeping, to successfully evade it or beat it in combat, all of which gain you the egg through luck or skill.

JC Sera

I do think that if you choose to flee from combat in an egg nest while holding an egg, you shouldn't get to keep the egg. It just seems like the risk/reward is weighted too far towards the player there considering there's also plenty of opportunities to grab the egg with no monster there, to grab the egg while its sleeping, to successfully evade it or beat it in combat, all of which gain you the egg through luck or skill.
yeah I agree, it feels so cheap >_>;

Top Bottom