• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

Unicorn

Third elder dragon down.

Also secured 2 rare genes. My Stygian currently has:

- Power, Dragon and Anything bingos
- Dancer (+damage and +speed at full health)
- Tenacity (blows that would kill from over half health don't)
- Iron Wall(L) (large defense)
- Might(L) (large attack)
- Dragon Boost(L) (large boost to dragon attacks)
- Dragon Res(L) (large boost to dragon res)
- Dragon Aura (+damage to all elemental attacks and +res all)

Thinking it needs Evade(L) or Evade in Danger.
Goddamn. EVs and IVs eat your heart out. Pokemon getting wrecked on competitive customization options as well.

Its hilariously grim watching my character ride her faithful Rathian around while decked in armor made of Rathian scales, wielding a hunting horn forged out of dead Rathians

redcrayon

Its hilariously grim watching my character ride her faithful Rathian around while decked in armor made of Rathian scales, wielding a hunting horn forged out of dead Rathians
Affinity up! Clearly nobody loves Rathians more than the rider that's killed half a dozen of them when monster numbers are dropping :D

redcrayon

The special attacks are gorgeous and so much fun.

I love the Kutku special. :lol
I like the Azuros one where both you and the bear catch a fish in your mouth. They are all brilliant though. Zamtrios does his special move from MH4/G where he inflates, which always makes me smile.

JC Sera

I like the Azuros one where both you and the bear catch a fish in your mouth. They are all brilliant though. Zamtrios does his special move from MH4/G where he inflates, which always makes me smile.
Qurupeco & Uragaan are my favourites

Uragaan in general has saved my bacon in several battles with it just being a stone wall of "nope"

redcrayon

Qurupeco & Uragaan are my favourites

Uragaan in general has saved my bacon in several battles with it just being a stone wall of "nope"
I like the way that even relatively low-rarity monsters are still viable at high levels. It's cool to see them gaining new abilities. I've got several 5* monsters now but the star is still my 3* Zamtrios with his ice armour, skill seal attack and area attack. I'm training up a Lagi to replace him but it's going to take a while.

Can early game monsters hang in the end game? I'm getting really attached to my Rathian and Red Khezu, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to perform in the end game

redcrayon

OK, I'm really starting to like the gamble of whether to cling on as a rider to build up the Affinity gauge for a level 3 skill, as opposed to using the level 1 skill before a poor head-to-head knocks you off.

After a battle of all three participants trading ~80 damage each attack, I tested out the level 3 skill on Ratha vs a purple Ludroth and we hit for ~1500 damage (!) I did add loads of fire-boosting genes to him which presumably meant a lot of multipliers are in play.

JC Sera

Can early game monsters hang in the end game? I'm getting really attached to my Rathian and Red Khezu, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to perform in the end game
several early game monsters are just as viable as late game
check their stats in the monstie monsterpedia, if they have 4-5 in HP and Defense I find that its viable lategame

Between the stim items opening up bingo slots, and being able to transfer really good lategame genes over, you can make early game monsters with decent stats workable

Another thing to note is some lategame sub species have the same total stats as the original species, but rearranged. In the other cases they do have better stats & different/better skills but worse elemental weaknesses; in some cases a -6 to an element instead of a -2.

I ended up using my Qurupeco in regular lategame combat due to how useful its skills are, and its a reliable technical user
I ended up giving my one eyed rathalos the Qurupeco gene for healing, its super useful and saves you items!

Also a certain late game monster is horrible stats wise:
kirin is one of the most late game monsties, but has one one the worse HP stats (1 HP on the 1-5 scale)

Robin64

The best part for me about nabbing the MHS amiibo is that they have a secondary function in New Leaf!

top_0002y8sjk.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have not found a single match online yet. I want to get the special egg fragments, but I have yet to find a battle...Just search search search.

Is there a easy way to beat a Pink Rathian? I just got through the frozen mountain area where you unlock channeling and I found a Rare Monster nest with a Pink Rathian mother guarding the nest. I do not want to give up on this nest because I might get a Pink Rathian egg. The mother deals high group damage.

BooJoh

I have not found a single match online yet. I want to get the special egg fragments, but I have yet to find a battle...Just search search search.

The one time I played an online match I chose to wait for an opponent, that way you're more likely to get random people searching. It still took a few minutes to get a match though. You might be better off finding someone to add to your FL and arrange a time to have some friend matches, assuming those still give fragments.

JC Sera

Is there a easy way to beat a Pink Rathian? I just got through the frozen mountain area where you unlock channeling and I found a Rare Monster nest with a Pink Rathian mother guarding the nest. I do not want to give up on this nest because I might get a Pink Rathian egg. The mother deals high group damage.
craft smoke bombs; when you escape the battle the monster dissapears

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The one time I played an online match I chose to wait for an opponent, that way you're more likely to get random people searching. It still took a few minutes to get a match though. You might be better off finding someone to add to your FL and arrange a time to have some friend matches, assuming those still give fragments.

Hitting 'Y' to keep searching seemed to get me a match (versus hitting 'B' and researching).

Any idea how egg fragments work and how to get these elusive PvP only monsters?

hey if you didn't think of it probably means you're not a massive coward like me ; )

trying the online multiplayer only after finishing the game feels...mean
especially seeing as I'm using a
~~gold~~
rathian

edit: whoops dp

Lol... I don't think trying new ways to hit a Pink Rathian harder using items available makes me braver than you. Up until I saw your reply I kept thinking of ways to hit the Pink Rathian harder while using my items to keep my character alive.

So I used a smoke bomb like you mentioned and I got egg that smelt bad and was very heavy. It hatched into a Pink Rathian! The down side is that it's a rarity 4 and I can only go up to rarity 3 as of right now. How long until I get to rarity 4 because I finally got a monster I want to use.

Also is the multiplayer really that barren? That's sad to hear because once I got with the story I wanted to play the multiplayer until Ultra Moon comes out. Wish this game was a bigger hit on Gaf. Reminds me of the Little Battlers Experience OT. Such a great game the bigger part of Gaf didn't play.

JC Sera

Lol... I don't think trying new ways to hit a Pink Rathian harder using items available makes me braver than you. Up until I saw your reply I kept thinking of ways to hit the Pink Rathian harder while using my items to keep my character alive.

So I used a smoke bomb like you mentioned and I got egg that smelt bad and was very heavy. It hatched into a Pink Rathian! The down side is that it's a rarity 4 and I can only go up to rarity 3 as of right now. How long until I get to rarity 4 because I finally got a monster I want to use.

Also is the multiplayer really that barren? That's sad to hear because once I got with the story I wanted to play the multiplayer until Ultra Moon comes out. Wish this game was a bigger hit on Gaf. Reminds me of the Little Battlers Experience OT. Such a great game the bigger part of Gaf didn't play.
its not that its barren (like i can get pretty ok amount of battles seeing im living in australia)
its more you start at battle rank E and work your way up
Im using monster that are most definitely not rank E

redcrayon

. It hatched into a Pink Rathian! The down side is that it's a rarity 4 and I can only go up to rarity 3 as of right now. How long until I get to rarity 4 because I finally got a monster I want to use.

Generally your kinship stone upgrades at the end of each major area/plot development, so focus on chasing the orange arrow and work on the main story for a bit, you'll get there quickly if you ignore sidequests. Then come back and clear up riding your new friend :D

ilium

So it would be better to start doing MP while still going through the Story content I take it?
Sounds unfair otherwise to crush Low Rank newbies with endgame monsties

Lanrutcon

Main team reached 75 last night.

I've started finding high rank versions of those charms you can offer. Training+ is +200% xp for 30 minutes. Pop an elder dragon and that's a cool 360,000 xp.

JC Sera

So it would be better to start doing MP while still going through the Story content I take it?
after about 5 matches I'm getting battle with people with my level of monster

BooJoh

after about 5 matches I'm getting battle with people with my level of monster

Do the lower rarity monsters not scale as well? I know lowbies won't have as many skills and genes but with everything bumped to level 50 they should at least have a fighting chance, shouldn't they?

Lanrutcon

Do the lower rarity monsters not scale as well? I know lowbies won't have as many skills and genes but with everything bumped to level 50 they should at least have a fighting chance, shouldn't they?

So each monster has a potential growth rating in their stats. More common, early game monsters have lower ratings than late game monsters. The lower the level of the monsters, the smaller the difference. The more you level, the bigger the gap grows.

Comparing a level 75 Gold Rathian to a level 75 Lagombi, there's a nice chunky difference in stats. Not saying the Lagombi can't drop the Gold Rathian in a fight, but it would be at a distinct disadvantage.

redcrayon

Three new subquests, titles etc are available as DLC today, talk to your local Connecticat!

I do quite like the aerial face-offs and breath weapon contests as simple mini-games mid-battle, it helps give the idea that sometimes all the rider can do is watch when two huge monsters with powerful physical abilities are fighting if out.

JC Sera

Three new subquests, titles etc are available as DLC today, talk to your local Connecticat!

I do quite like the aerial face-offs and breath weapon contests as simple mini-games mid-battle, it helps give the idea that sometimes all the rider can do is watch when two huge monsters with powerful physical abilities are fighting if out.
thanks!

I don't like the ariel battles cause my R button works only 40% of the time ;-;

redcrayon

Nice, I hope they continue putting the DLC out weekly like this.

Anyone know what the Fan Club egg fragments hatch into?
Monster Hunter games are usually pretty generous with a small parcel of DLC each week. No idea about the fan club egg fragments from fighting arena battles under those conditions, I haven't even made a full egg yet!

twelver

Anyone know where to find regular diablos exactly? Been looking near/in salt caves and its always barroth... Thanks.

Dragoshi1

Anyone know where to find regular diablos exactly? Been looking near/in salt caves and its always barroth... Thanks.
Diablos is a winged wyvern, look for eggs with the wavy line, not the jagged ones belonging to brute wyverns.

Oh, the actual physical killable monster, sorry. Thought you were egg hunting.

BooJoh

New DLC for hairs styles, and a two new weapons!

Go get your funky fros.

How many rounds is a tournament? I gave them a go early this morning but ended up losing on the third round of one and the second round of the other, didn't have time to keep playing at the time.

Lren

My copy finally came in and have gotten a little past the demo area. Game is just really fun and strikes all the right notes. Definitely keeping an eye out for Lagiacrus or Zinogre.

ilium

Beat the Pink Rathian outside the big City, now I can finally make the armor. But my Rider Stone level is still 3 so I'm going to continue the Story now, I hope it won't take long cause I can't wait to that amazing P.Rathian I found Yesterday while farming eggs!

Also switched to the stun SnS, now my Rathian and I are basically an Status Tag Team, so much fun hehe

BooJoh

I didn't realize how bad the AI in this game is until my Barroth started using Mud Bath 2-3 times in a row during a major boss encounter...

Top Bottom