• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

I hope the community has long legs for this game because I'm hoping to take my time with the main story, grasp my head around how the competitive side works, and then play PVP until Ultra Moon comes out.

Like what many people do when new Pokémon games comes out.

With that said, I need to stop BS'ing and at least get to the second area.

BooJoh

I hope the community has long legs for this game because I'm hoping to take my time with the main story, grasp my head around how the competitive side works, and then play PVP until Ultra Moon comes out.

Like what many people do when new Pokémon games comes out.

With that said, I need to stop BS'ing and at least get to the second area.

I tried out PvP with a quick match on like the second or third day. It took me a while to find a match, but maybe that was just because it was so early.

I just downloaded the demo. About to go get my first egg I think.
Just to be opposite Pokemon we get the electric cat instead of a mouse. That's funny.

I've been playing daily and I've been enjoying this still. Glad that I wasn't going to feel fatigue past the demo.

I do have one question though: Are nutriment uses limited in this game? I used up several on myself rather than the monsties and now I have the "You can't use this on yourself right now" message if I ever try now. Figured you could use all permanent stat items on yourself, but I guess not.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I think I'm about close in on the end of the demo. Is there any reason to play it to completion at this point since I've purchased the game? Or can I just load up my save on the cart for the demo bonus stuff??

JC Sera

For people who have played the mainline series is (spoilers)
the deviljho invasion mechanic based on a mainline gameplay feature

BooJoh

I haven't encountered jho yet in Stories but in the main series he will frequently show up out of nowhere (often by busting up out of the ground) while hunting a different monster for an unrelated quest, so if it's similar to that then yeah.

How's the writing and humor in this? Gameplay seems a bit basic in terms of what I enjoy in terms of turn based games but that could easily push me through.

kubus

Short answer: Yes

Long answer:
He just suddenly appears out of nowhere while you're fighting some other monsters. The other monsters flee and Deviljho storms in mid-battle. The music gets pretty tense :p

redcrayon

Yeah, Jho invades regular hunts once you reach a certain point in the more recent games, it's a wyvern-hunter.

There are so many nods to the main series, almost everything is translated in some way.
The goofy way you carry eggs.
The way the cats dump you out of the cart upon arrival at a town.
The sound effects for gathering and cooking meat.
Most of the monster animations for special moves and KO.
The Quest board.
Tailoring your pouch loadout becoming more essential as the game continues.

The whole thing has been done with a huge amount of respect for the main series, it's a beautifully made spin-off.

Is using dung bombs to force a monster to leave the area a thing in this? That's one of the few regular occurances I haven't seen yet.

redcrayon

How's the writing and humor in this? Gameplay seems a bit basic in terms of what I enjoy in terms of turn based games but that could easily push me through.
The main Quest is incredibly simple and predictable in terms of character archetypes, but there is humour there. Complexity continues to ramp up throughout the game though.

The main Quest is incredibly simple and predictable in terms of character archetypes, but there is humour there. Complexity continues to ramp up throughout the game though.
Love the main series and have found the 3ds entries incredibly charming (honestly don't remember anything about tri story) but it's hard to imagine how that expands to a more story focused venture.

redcrayon

Love the main series and have found the 3ds entries incredibly charming (honestly don't remember anything about tri story) but it's hard to imagine how that expands to a more story focused venture.
Yeah, ultimately it's a fairly standard 'some weird thing is upsetting the ecosystem and sending monsters a bit loopy, go turn monsters into hats until you find what's doing it and turn that into a hat too. Harmony with nature FTW' MH plotline.

Does feel slightly weird all the riders banging on about loving and respecting monsters when, aside from my few monster pals, I'm still stealing their eggs, clobbering and dismembering them with giant swords made out of monster parts. Same goes for increased Affinity due to wearing the same armour. Which is a bit like if a shrouded nerscylla (giant spider) turned up at your office wearing a human skin draped over it, sat down at the next desk and said 'I love and respect humans, I only skin most of them! Nobody 'loves' humans more than me, let's be friends!' Say, that's a nice arm you've got... :D. *

It does draw a veil over the killing and skinning, saying 'defeated' rather than 'killed', but that massive pile of raw meat, tails and claws presumably isn't something the monster gave up to its new bestest friend willingly. I've never played Pokemon but I'm guessing if you get a Pikachu hat, it isn't made out of a real one... :D

Some of you are going to say 'that's an improvement on my actual colleagues, aren't you

JC Sera

I just finished the main story, its on par with sun & moon with better cutscenes and really good VA for nonsense language :p
navirou's storyline is
surprisingly dark and a tear jerker
theres a moment in the final boss fight that had me tearing up
the first time your character actually speaks
The writing is humourous and good, but the cutscenes really come alive with the animation
Short answer: Yes

Long answer:
He just suddenly appears out of nowhere while you're fighting some other monsters. The other monsters flee and Deviljho storms in mid-battle. The music gets pretty tense :p
The music aand sound design for the
invasions
is certainly really good, and makes you tense

supergiz

So I think I'm about close in on the end of the demo. Is there any reason to play it to completion at this point since I've purchased the game? Or can I just load up my save on the cart for the demo bonus stuff??

I'm curious about this as well. About to finish the demo myself and getting ready to purchase. Will I need to start over from the beginning again?

Unicorn

Yo, a barioth just hip-checked and shattered an ice wall like fucking Chris Redfield punched boulders. This game gets it.

Lanrutcon

I'm curious about this as well. About to finish the demo myself and getting ready to purchase. Will I need to start over from the beginning again?

Release version carries on from the demo, and everything carries over.

I'm doing postgame stuff at the moment. Gold Rathian down, floor 20 of the Tower reached. Popped into the Labyrinth and it's a good place to farm some random bits. Stygian Zinogre and Ivory Lagi continue to beast.

supergiz

I'm doing postgame stuff at the moment. Gold Rathian down, floor 20 of the Tower reached. Popped into the Labyrinth and it's a good place to farm some random bits. Stygian Zinogre and Ivory Lagi continue to beast.

Glad to see there is a healthy amount of post game content. I never imagined buying another game on my 3ds now that I have a Switch but here I am :)

Lanrutcon

Glad to see there is a healthy amount of post game content. I never imagined buying another game on my 3ds now that I have a Switch but here I am :)

After I completed the story I unlocked High Rank and I was like "ha, just tougher monsters...why bother?" then I noticed that High Rank monsters drop different parts than normal ones...

supergiz

How are you supposed to fish btw? I could swear I got a quest where they said I could fish at any body of water. I tried doing so both in town and on field and nothing happens.

Wow, Pink Rathians are a pain. I figured I was too weak for the first one I met and lost to through the subquest, but then I barely won against the one sleeping outside of dens after a few more hours of gameplay.

At the very least, I realized just how useful Pitfall Traps can be when monsters can counterattack.

redcrayon

How are you supposed to fish btw? I could swear I got a quest where they said I could fish at any body of water. I tried doing so both in town and on field and nothing happens.
I asked Zamtrios and he said he just dives in and swims about, eating stuff and roaring. ;-)

You should get an icon at any group of circling fish- try next to the guy fishing on the docks in the city, or if you are still in Pondry Hills, look for groups of fish swimming in circles by the waters edge. The general prompt you get when approaching water is for monsters that can swim instead.

Xane

I've noticed wearing gear associated with the monstie in question does weird stuff. Like, for my Stygian wearing just the armor lowers its order costs.

Yeah, equipping matching gear to your monster acts like an active Order Cost Dwn (L), which greatly reduces the Kinship cost of your attacks. But that doesn't affect with how much you initiate a battle with.

I don't know for sure what all factors into it, but I'm pretty sure level is one thing, so leveling it up should help, I'm guessing genes might affect it too but I'm not sure.

I don't think it's quite tied to level alone. As I have multiple monsters in the same level range with varying amounts of Kinship they start with. So I'm stumped.

BooJoh

I don't think it's quite tied to level alone. As I have multiple monsters in the same level range with varying amounts of Kinship they start with. So I'm stumped.
Well yeah, it's not only level, but level does seem to affect it, because I've had a mon that I couldn't use Sweeping Strike on the first turn with, and then after it leveled I could.

redcrayon

Does anyone know what the DLC schudule looked like in Japan, is it one sub-quest+costumes etc per week?

That initial Barroth one is great, you can accept the other subQuest from the board to hunt a Barroth at the same time and clear both with one kill for an easy way to get cash.

Game seems to have an insane amount of stuff to do, just like the mainline games.

Impulsor

How many hours have you clocked in already?

Lanrutcon

How many hours have you clocked in already?

72 hours.
zDuYcpb.jpg

nUUAZTS.jpg

8H9a406.jpg

ggx2ac

I'm at that island with the Felynes, what's weird is the Catavan stand there let's me travel to other places but it doesn't let me go back to it from another stand.

Is it going to unlock later on in the story or is this a bug?

Lanrutcon

I'm at that island with the Felynes, what's weird is the Catavan stand there let's me travel to other places but it doesn't let me go back to it from another stand.

Is it going to unlock later on in the story or is this a bug?

I use that one all the time.

Kitty town is my home base, yo.

JC Sera

Are you guys playing on 3d or with 3d off?
3d on for cutscenes
3d off for everything else

edit: another thing to note, post game upgrading makes fashion souls pretty viable

I wore azuros armour for most of the early game, and the post game upgrades made it viable again, bless ;-;
I use that one all the time.

Kitty town is my home base, yo.
my home base is Oasum, quickest loadig time for a town and don't have to save to heal

tuffy

Felt good to finally bring down Pink Rathian, so I could upgrade my gear, so I could bring down even tougher monsters. It's a Monster Hunter game alright.

Oh, and between the massive amount of pigment areas on armor and the "no helmet" option, doing Fashion Hunter is a lot easier. No need to worry about making clown suits where some of the pieces just don't match at all.

ilium

Reached the 2nd area finally (without a good Arzuros :< ). My blue Kut-Ku with upgraded fireball demolishes everything in this area hehe. Also got a Red Khezu with good genes

I just loooove those rider attacks, the're all soooo MH!

Ridley327

I'm in the desert area now, and I'm still amused that Pink Rathian is such a massive boost in difficulty to even the normal Rathian and the Barroth. That really is just like the normal games!

I'm assuming that the monster stock limit is about to expand soon? With just five monsters, you kind of wish that they had an HM slave-esque monster when you start getting your climbers (strange that Khezu can't climb, but whatever), swimmers, diggers and jumpers together and only have one slot left over for whatever.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a good primer on how bingo boards work and various natures and shit? I was reading about merging monsters or whatever, but I hatched a few Kut-Ku's and don't know why one is better than another.

redcrayon

I'm in the desert area now, and I'm still amused that Pink Rathian is such a massive boost in difficulty to even the normal Rathian and the Barroth. That really is just like the normal games!

I'm assuming that the monster stock limit is about to expand soon? With just five monsters, you kind of wish that they had an HM slave-esque monster when you start getting your climbers (strange that Khezu can't climb, but whatever), swimmers, diggers and jumpers together and only have one slot left over for whatever.
Spoiler for the next area:
You're not far off having a creature with fly, which makes jump (and to a much lesser extent climb and swim) less essential to have in the party.

Lanrutcon

Third elder dragon down.

Also secured 2 rare genes. My Stygian currently has:

- Power, Dragon and Anything bingos
- Dancer (+damage and +speed at full health)
- Tenacity (blows that would kill from over half health don't)
- Iron Wall(L) (large defense)
- Might(L) (large attack)
- Dragon Boost(L) (large boost to dragon attacks)
- Dragon Res(L) (large boost to dragon res)
- Dragon Aura (+damage to all elemental attacks and +res all)

Thinking it needs Evade(L) or Evade in Danger.

redcrayon

Nice difficulty jump in the volcano- Agnacktor and Gravios caught me on the hop due to having swapped in some new recruits that were higher rarity but lower level, on top of having swapped to sword and shield that did very little damage.

supergiz

Thanks for suggestions on fishing. Yeah didn't realize there were fishing spots you could only fish at. I'll be heading into NYC this weekend. Hopefully I get a few hits on street pass.

Top Bottom