• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Rokal

I'm having issues with the last boss as well, not even on NG+. I probably spent 2-3 hours on him today, and got him to 15-20% a few times. I got annoyed by the Player Message frequency when I picked up Bloodborne at launch, so I've been playing offline and trying to do all the bosses solo.

I have a few pieces of advice that have helped me get closer, though I haven't gotten the kill yet.

1) Consider stocking up on Potions/Paper, manually saving to your PS+ cloud, and then turning off auto-uploads. This way you can just manually download your save from the cloud after a dozen attempts if you run out of potions, rather than having to farm again. I only needed to re-download the save twice for 2-3 hours of attempts.

2) Play cautiously, but close to the boss. I found that I always regretted going for more than 1-2 attacks, and that he was much easier to dodge if I strafed him in circles close up.

3) Take breaks. I always had my best attempts after getting up and taking a breather.

I'm done for the night, but I'm pretty confident I'll have it soon. I shudder to think of what these bosses are like on NG+....

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I find Laurence to be way harder than the Orphan. The Orphan is erratic, but I find the dodging and i-frame to be more generous on the dodging than Laurence, where I just can't seem to dodge consistently enough (plus the size of Laurence makes the camera a struggle, whether using lock-on or not).

Laurance was pretty easy for me. Just treat him like Cleric Beast in the first phase, and then just keep your distance in the second phase and go in for your hits when you get a window.

The only reason I even beat the Orphan is that in my 30th attempt or whatever it was he didn't change forms until really late in the battle for whatever reason. 1st phase isn't that bad, but I could not for the life of me get a handle on his second form.

I've pretty much been speed running through the game with multiple characters and sometimes Laurence will add a few moves I don't always see.

I always look forward to Ludwig and a Laurence because you can access both fairly quickly.

ramyeon

I'm ashamed to say I never got around to beating Orphan of Kos when I first played this. I got to the last lamp in that area and then I got distracted with work, moving house etc... Went back to finish what I started last week to get it done with before DS3 comes out and found him way easier than I expected. I was worried after all I'd heard but I think it only took around 3 goes to get him down.

Parrying him in his first phase was really helpful and then in his second I just kept on my toes. Feels good knowing I haven't become too rusty after not playing for months.

(NG using the Chikage).

leehom

Anyone want to help me beat the last DLC boss?

Losing patience.

I've actually never summoned someone before, so not sure how it works with passwords.

I'm down, my psn is same name as here. I found a easy way. All three people use a weapon that staggers him. Everyone walk up and continuously wail on him until he dies, gg.

Geist-

Hey everyone, so I started playing last week, and finished the game today (managed to kill every boss including optional too, so cool). So, I'm nearing my self-imposed level cap in NG+, 120, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. I was going pure Skill and now that I'm up to 96, I'm trying to decide what else to put in.

My stats are V: 40 E: 25 St: 12 Sk:50 B:12 A:7.

I don't have the DLC and won't be getting it as I'll be devoting all of my time to DS3 next week, but for now I want to use a few weapons, the Chikage, the Burial Blade, the Blades of Mercy, and the Threaded Cane, as well as the Evelyn as my sidearm. If I got to Bloodtinge 25, is that enough to make Chikage effective (since I see most bloodtinge builds go to 50 on Bloodtinge)? Or should I just forget about the Chikage until another build and just stick to Burial, Mercy, and Cane?

Banzai

Goddamn, the Whirligig+10 L2 just melted Chalice Rom. That was fun. I was really trying not to play any Soulborne games at least in the final week before DS3 but I'm weak...

So I started this up last night on my NG+ character.

Managed to beat Ludwig with a bit of effort, summoning an NPC helper made him more manageable.

Now I'm in the big research tower and not loving it. Maze-y places with lots of paths always stress me out. Hopefully it isn't too big...

HeelPower

This DLC is such a difficult experience.

First it Ludwig then the living failures then Maria then Orphan...It never lets up...

Orphan of Kos and Ludwig are by far some of the hardest bosses in any game...

I haven't even come close to beating Orphan..Second form is gruelingly difficult.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Orphan is a squalling baby compared to
Laurence
. xD

Seriously, I don't think he's that bad. He's quite terrible in NG+4 but so is mostly everything haha.

Rokal

I finally beat Orphan! Took me a whole week and upwards of 100 attempts, easily worse than any boss I've fought in anything previous like Ninja Gaiden. I don't know if I have the stomach for Laurence at this point, will probably just finish the main game and end my Bloodborne adventure.

Alric

I finally beat Orphan! Took me a whole week and upwards of 100 attempts, easily worse than any boss I've fought in anything previous like Ninja Gaiden. I don't know if I have the stomach for Laurence at this point, will probably just finish the main game and end my Bloodborne adventure.

Laurence is easier than the orphan imo. Just do it for completion sake.

DryvBy

Anyone want to help on the Orphan of Kos? I'm losing my mind trying to beat him. I've been at it all morning and can't do this anymore. This is the most frustrating boss I've fought in all of Souls.

edit: Nevermind, just got this sob. grrrrr!!!

Melchiah

Can you miss activating old hunters? I'm pretty far in the game and I don't see the messangers to get the items I'm curious if I'm out of luck.

Here you go...
Q: How do you access the Bloodborne The Old Hunters expansion?
A:
Once you have defeated Vicar Amelia and turn the world state to night, the item "Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter" appears in the Hunter's Dream. Once you have acquired this item, you will be able to access the newly added areas in the expansion by being grabbed by a lesser amygdala just outside Oedon's Chapel (Cathedral Ward)

Melchiah

That item isn't in hunters's dream though. Like I'm well past that boss so will it still appear? Things online said you had to go to the skull on the altar in the grand cathedral to get it to spawn but I already interacted with the skull earlier in my playthrough.

I googled, and it seems some people had the same issue. For some it was solved by restarting the PS4. Are both the main game and DLC bought from the same region?

I googled, and it seems some people had the same issue. For some it was solved by restarting the PS4. Are both the main game and DLC bought from the same region?

Cool, I was having trouble finding much about the item not showing up. I'll turn off my console later and see if it fixes it. Thanks!

Experien

Having trouble with
The First Vicar
. Tried calling for help but I just waste insight cause no one ever comes. I grab
Beast Eater
to help me and I can get
him to crawling on the ground and then I just fall a part. I know to circle around to his left and try to do quick stabs and a few more stabs with spewing lava. But then he will just do two sings and I am dead.
Any help or advice would be swell.

I've been switching weapons but I am probably going to go back to OG Ludwig's Blade since it is +9 and I am high strength.

Also having trouble with
Maria
but I haven't put as much fight into that battle yet.

SDR-UK

I can help you out if you want? Put the password on and I'll be there.

For tips? Really you have the right strategy but straight up, I just cheese Laurence all day with the Bow/some projectiles and it usually goes according to plan.

In regards to Maria, parrying is ALWAYS the way to go unless you feel confident to stunlock her into a corner with a fast hitting weapon and Beast Blood Pellets.

ugoo18

Finished it again with the DLC this time, all the optional bosses and the
3rd ending
just in time for Dark Souls 3. Loved the DLC but
Laurence the first vicar
can go jump off a cliff. The
Orphan, Ludwig and Ebrietas
were pretty fun to fight but
Laurence
just annoyed the heck out of me with his
immense health and fire fire everywhere
. Think i died less on him than i did
Ebrietas
yet he frustrated me much more.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Tried calling for help but I just waste insight cause no one ever comes.

If no one comes and you use Silencing Blank, you get the point of Insight back.
You can leave the Beckoning Bell ringing (you'll see a status icon in the top left) and it won't cost you any more Insight until you've summoned someone and use it again.

teiresias

Sorry I haven't really read the thread since I'm trying to not spoil myself, but does this DLC expand the lore of the game or is it mainly just expanded gameplay content and new weapons? I've finally played Bloodborne after having it on my backlog for a year and am trying to decide whether to buy this (I've finished pretty much all the extra bosses and optional areas in the vanilla game other than not finishing some quest lines the way I'd have liked). I'm at the fight with Wet Nurse and know that I must be near the point where I can't get into the DLC without starting a NG+.

Any opinions? My only reservation is that I've played through Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2, and now Bloodborne all in the past year, so I'm nearly Souls'd out, but Bloodborne's lore and atmosphere are so amazing that I really do love it, which is why I'm mainly interested if this DLC expands the lore of the game moreso than just getting more combat content - chalice dungeons bore me to tears for this reason and I have no interest in farming them.

Opinions?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If it's expanded lore you're after, you would be crazy not to grab the DLC at some point.

If you're starting DS3, maybe you could put BB aside for a while and come back ready to tackle The Old Hunters at a later date.

If you're a bit burnt out on Souls games in general, then it never hurts to take a break. You'll be back before you know it ;)

teiresias

If it's expanded lore you're after, you would be crazy not to grab the DLC at some point.

If you're starting DS3, maybe you could put BB aside for a while and come back ready to tackle The Old Hunters at a later date.

If you're a bit burnt out on Souls games in general, then it never hurts to take a break. You'll be back before you know it ;)

I'm not getting DS3 until there's a SotFS version of some sort with all the soon-to-come DLC available on PC - probably not until next year. I'll probably just grab a PSN card and get the DLC tonight since I really don't want to stop playing it (though I do have an unfinished playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2 sitting on my PC I need to get back to, haha).

ActWan

Goddamn La
urence
. Had some trouble at first getting him to his final form, and when I finally did - I just can't seem to hit him, like, at all. I'm in NG+, and I think I'm way overleveld (150~ with 40-50 vit str end), and still he's hard af. Even in his first form, if he somehow gets 2-3 hits in a row on me - I'm dead. Any tips? Does blood pungent cocktails even affect him? Should I just leave him be and continue to the boss after Lu
dwig
? (I'm kinda scared to do it cuz he was, by far, the hardest boss in the game for me)

Goddamn La
urence
. Had some trouble at first getting him to his final form, and when I finally did - I just can't seem to hit him, like, at all. I'm in NG+, and I think I'm way overleveld (150~ with 40-50 vit str end), and still he's hard af. Even in his first form, if he somehow gets 2-3 hits in a row on me - I'm dead. Any tips? Does blood pungent cocktails even affect him? Should I just leave him be and continue to the boss after Lu
dwig
? (I'm kinda scared to do it cuz he was, by far, the hardest boss in the game for me)

Save Laurence for later and continue on. Ludwig is definitely the hardest of the bosses, although the last one gives him a run for his money.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
trying to play dark souls after playing bloodborne because i wanted to get the same experience...yikes! it's really bad. they really perfected the form with bb.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, it's really bad if you want the same experience as Bloodborne. You can get that experience only from Bloodborne right now.

Dark Souls is still a great game and plays extremely well. It's just a different kind of gameplay, even though it shares a lot in common with Bloodborne from a game design perspective.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
yikes, the DLC serves [ d i f f i c u l t ] on NG+. i've breezed through most of the game so far but i can't even get past ludwig in the DLC, he has approx 1 trillion hp.

Melchiah

yikes, the DLC serves [ d i f f i c u l t ] on NG+. i've breezed through most of the game so far but i can't even get past ludwig in the DLC, he has approx 1 trillion hp.

The hunters are more of a pain in the ass on NG+ as well, particularly the parrying bastard in the Research Hall.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm torn. i feel like i'm reaching the ceiling of my skill. no matter how many times i try i cannot fucking beat ludwig. i can sort of reliably get him to the second form, but i just can't beat him. he has a truly horrendous and kind of fun-sucking amount of HP.

Edzi

i'm torn. i feel like i'm reaching the ceiling of my skill. no matter how many times i try i cannot fucking beat ludwig. i can sort of reliably get him to the second form, but i just can't beat him. he has a truly horrendous and kind of fun-sucking amount of HP.

Which game cycle are you in? He gets an ungodly amount of HP in the higher NG+ levels, and can one hit kill most characters with some of his moves. Either equip all three runes that up your HP, or git gud
summon

I recommend going the rune route, since it'll help tremendously for the rest of the DLC.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Which game cycle are you in? He gets an ungodly amount of HP in the higher NG+ levels, and can one hit kill most characters with some of his moves. Either equip all three runes that up your HP, or git gud
summon

I recommend going the rune route, since it'll help tremendously for the rest of the DLC.

just NG+ :(

Edzi

Are you at least able to consistently get him to his second form? It really is just a matter of learning when to dodge his moves and when it's safe to attack. It's a long and fast paced fight, but still doable. Like most of the DLC bosses, you want to be aggressive and in his face at all times, always dodging towards his sides/back.

I wouldn't feel bad about summoning either since you're in NG+. If you don't want help from an actual person, using the NPC summon as a tank is also pretty helpful.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Are you at least able to consistently get him to his second form? It really is just a matter of learning when to dodge his moves and when it's safe to attack. It's a long and fast paced fight, but still doable. Like most of the DLC bosses, you want to be aggressive and in his face at all times, always dodging towards his sides/back.

I wouldn't feel bad about summoning either since you're in NG+. If you don't want help from an actual person, using the NPC summon as a tank is also pretty helpful.

i've gotten the first form down. attacking relentlessly, get close to him, and dodge the more damaging attacks.

the second form, i can dodge most of his attacks but then he hits with one and it's pretty much game over.

i can't seem to summon the NPC though?

Edzi

i've gotten the first form down. attacking relentlessly, get close to him, and dodge the more damaging attacks.

the second form, i can dodge most of his attacks but then he hits with one and it's pretty much game over.

i can't seem to summon the NPC though?

I forgot the details on summoning Valtr, but I'm pretty sure you have to talk to him first. I think he's in the forest, but you should double check on the wiki or something since my memory is foggy.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i have to say i don't mind the challenging attack patterns and relentless pace, but pairing that with an absolutely huge amount of hp is......not much fun for me. if he had about 1/3rd less (even just 1/4) i think i would enjoy this fight a lot more.

& thanks i'll look up how to summon him. i found the bell, it's just greyed out.

Edzi

i have to say i don't mind the challenging attack patterns and relentless pace, but pairing that with an absolutely huge amount of hp is......not much fun for me. if he had about 1/3rd less (even just 1/4) i think i would enjoy this fight a lot more.

& thanks i'll look up how to summon him. i found the bell, it's just greyed out.

You have to go to his summon spot and have insight i think. It's located in that area in front of the boss fog gate.

teiresias

Can someone explain weapon damage to me. I've got both my Saw Spear and my Ludwig's Holy Blade at +10, with gem fortification the two weapons have stats like this:

Saw Spear: Physical ATK,170 +267
Thrust +267

Holy Blade: Physical ATK 200 +357
Blunt +357
Thrust +357

Nothing in the other attacks.

Now even though the Holy Blade has higher damage stats and better stat scaling I always do more damage with the Saw Spear. Can someone explain this to me?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can someone explain weapon damage to me. I've got both my Saw Spear and my Ludwig's Holy Blade at +10, with gem fortification the two weapons have stats like this:

Saw Spear: Physical ATK,170 +267
Thrust +267

Holy Blade: Physical ATK 200 +357
Blunt +357
Thrust +357

Nothing in the other attacks.

Now even though the Holy Blade has higher damage stats and better stat scaling I always do more damage with the Saw Spear. Can someone explain this to me?

does the saw spear do serrated damage? lots of enemies are weak to serrated damage.

Top Bottom