• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg Rumor: New Rock Band Coming For Next-Gen Consoles

I loved Guitar Hero and Rock Band up until GH3 and RB2/Beatles RB then got burnt out and stopped playing.

Not sure if it's something I NEED to revisit. Kind of like a "had to be there" phenomenon during those years.

It really didn't help that both series were milked to hell and back.
Yeah, we also played a ton of Rock Band 2, but it just seemed to kind of fade off after that. One of the drums on the set didn't register all the time and instead of spending 100$ for a new set we kind of just stopped.

If the new game was fresh enough, and all my DLC transferred over, and the instruments were a little higher quality I might re-up.

FyreWulff

Strange how Madden threads never have to deal with people telling the players to go play real football, or FIFA to go play real soccer, or...

We get it. But playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero does not take away the possibility of learning to play a guitar. Both games have led people into learning guitar, bass, drums, etc. It's not either/or.

There were bands on RBN that had music who learned to play and formed a band because they played Rock Band 1 together, and liked the idea so much they did it for real. And then ended up with THEIR songs in Rock Band.

The market was over saturated with these rhythm based instrument games. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact. Activision in particular flooded the industry with them. The last Rock Band release was in 2012 and the last Guitar Hero release was 2010, and that wasn't even Guitar Hero, it was DJ Hero. I will act for a second that they aren't good games, in comparison to other games. All it really boils down to is playing fake instruments along to music you've already heard. I don't get the appeal of it. Obviously, I'm in a minority here I will say that. But I think it's much more rewarding, and entertaining, to play an actual instrument, not sit around and play pretend.

Then why are you in a thread about Rock Band? So if I'm a fan of Zelda, I should go out and go on an adventure? If I like MLB The Show,I guess I should go out and play real baseball?

Yea, gathering with 4-5 of your friends and learning how to play a section of a song on real instruments sounds like a real blast.

Music snobs, man

Qwark

I love Rocksmith as much as the next guy, but it really is not the same experience as Rock Band.

Rocksmith allows 2 (3 with microphone? I don't remember) people to play at the same time but has a massive learning curve. It has a different motive, create good music, fun comes later. If you're doing poorly, you're probably not going to be having a lot of fun.

Rock Band, on the other hand allows for up to 7 people and it really doesn't matter how good you are. It's purpose is to get people to have fun with the music they love.

I want to see both series continue.

As someone who picked up Rocksmith for $40 recently at Best Buy, I'm loving it and would still buy a new Rock Band. One is for learning and practice, one is an arcade type game.

Err, do you have sales data to back that up? Because I find that extraordinarily unlikely, given that the more social experience is with the cameras on PS4/X1.

You now the Gamepad has a camera and could be used to create short clips of the dancing people. And Wii U version has 4 local players.

Sales data from a site we don't mention here, but it seems credible because Wii U version has been above other versions in the charts in UK and US.

Ozone

If they make a Rock Band for the new consoles using the model from Dance Central: Spotlight, I'm fully in.

For those unfamiliar, DC Spotlight is a $10 digital game that comes with 10 songs and is essentially a shell for DLC. Each week they either release new songs or legacy songs that were already available on 360. If you own the 360 version, it's free to get the new version.

SFenton

Can't link right now since I'm on mobile, but Harmonix and IGN just had a very teasy interaction in Twitter involving Rock Band, announcements, and this weekend...

It's interesting that for a minute there, with the Wii and Rock Band, a segment of non-gamers were interested in playing games. Videogames became normalized. It's like it was suddenly "okay" for them to play, like the gamer stigma didn't apply to Wii Sports and plastic guitars. But they were treated more as novel party games than "videogames".

But that zeitgeist has passed and I can't see Rock Band being a huge hit again. Even for me who played RB quite a bit, I'm just tired of storing big clunky accessories and buying DLC songs which eventually won't work.

espher

And for a consumer that was fantastic.

Buy GH, get Van Halen, which was a fully polished game with like 50 songs, for free?

Why the fuck not.

Harmonix crashed the genre with their greedy ass DLC system.

With GH, you got 150 songs for $50.

Rock band wanted, what $1.99 a song? $2.99 for some songs? WTF is that.

You got a deal if you payed $20 for a 20-song track pack!

This is like Bizarro-World Posting 101.

And for a consumer that was fantastic.

Buy GH, get Van Halen, which was a fully polished game with like 50 songs, for free?

Why the fuck not.

Harmonix crashed the genre with their greedy ass DLC system.

With GH, you got 150 songs for $50.

Rock band wanted, what $1.99 a song? $2.99 for some songs? WTF is that.

You got a deal if you payed $20 for a 20-song track pack!

Ohhhh. You're that person from a previous thread who after I explained how RB's dlc was more consumer friendly and a better value than GH's, you didn't bother replying (even though you were still active in the thread). I can tell from the rest of your replies in this thread that not even unarguable facts explaining why it's better for the consumer and not "greedy" will ever convince you that the DLC is a good thing. Your twisting of facts, absurd comparisons, and fundamental ignorance of the processes it takes to make these games are blinding you and there's no point in engaging you any further.

Top Bottom