• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg Rumor: New Rock Band Coming For Next-Gen Consoles

KissVibes

Banned
If there's ONE THING Rock Band never needs again is a game dedicated to one band only. That's what ruined this shit to begin with, too much market clutter.

MrMephistoX

I think there is a hardcore niche audience that would be interested, the problem is reconciling hardcore niche audience with game that requires the mass production of various plastic instruments. I don't see how those two things potentially go together.

Harmonix needs to seriously shake up the music delivery system with something like a streaming music partnership with Spotify or going 100% F2P. I just don't see it taking off with just prettier graphics and new plastic especially in a world where even iTunes mp3 sales are down: thank Pandora and Spotify for turning music into a service.

Harmonix needs to seriously shake up the music delivery system with something like a streaming music partnership with Spotify or going 100% F2P. I just don't see it taking off with just prettier graphics and new plastic especially in a world where even iTunes mp3 sales are down: thank Pandora and Spotify for turning music into a service.

A sub service might work, the issue I see is with image and perception. I just can't see teens and people in their 20s looking at little plastic instruments and not thinking "This looks dumb". I don't know. Maybe I'm way off, the whole Rock Band/Guitar Hero thing felt to me like a product that came around at just the right time and had it's place, but also something that can't really be replicated.

This sounds good, but I'm betting it's going to be a downloadable 'update' of sorts that just takes RB3 and make it RB3.5, make it work on PS4/Xbone, throw in some new songs (think 'RB Blitz' style soundtrack) and support it with semi-regular DLC updates while charging an upgrade fee to relicense your DLC on the new console. Or something.

This won't be a $60 retail release though.

KingJ2002

Yeah... Activision cratered the genre with the over saturation... it's up to Harmonix to bring it back.

Considering Rocksmith is doing pretty well... I think Rock Band can come in and take over. (with the right marketing push of course)

Flipyap

If there's ONE THING Rock Band never needs again is a game dedicated to one band only. That's what ruined this shit to begin with, too much market clutter.
Glorified single-band DLC packs, sure, but stuff like The Beatles: Rock Band is such a great way to introduce people to a band and to make them appreciate it in a way they wouldn't have otherwise.
I would love it if it were possible for more games like that to be made.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

That was Guitar Hero crapping those out. Beatles: Rock Band was a class act.

Yeah the Green Day one was meh and I just bought the AC/DC pack for like $.89 at Gamestop but I'm not talking about that, I mean the full beauty treatment.
Pink Floyd is both ideal and deserving.

Also, inb4 someone reposts:
lQd2V6G.gif

FyreWulff

I didn't have a problem with them. GH: Aerosmith, GH: Metallica, Beatles, and Green Day were all well done.

The one that shouldn't have happened was GH Van Halen. Holy shit they sent that one out to die and put in the minimum effort. Ignored a band member entirely and let Wolfgang choose his favorite Rock Band DLC to put in as guest songs.

edit: for people that don't remember, they literally gave Van Halen away for free if you bought the Guitar Hero that came out that year. Surprise surprise, it sold like butts when it had it's real retail release, and they barely even advertised it or acknowledge it existed.

If they take a look at Skylanders and Disney Universe, they can make new platform specific dongles/USB hubs and then just produce a single set of instruments. This could also allow old instruments.

Price is not an issue, to me at least. I just don't want missing features. Pro keyboard was amazing fun and a new game without it would be rather useless - in that case I would keep grinding on RB3.

I'm assuming that they can't just port all of the DLC at once, but if Singstar can relicense songs and make them available again over time, so can Rock Band.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
For me to even consider to play an eventual new Rock Band would be dependant on so many things that I seriously doubt it will happen. Like importing my DLC from 360 to PS4 or being able to use my 360 hardware (even more outlandish: my 360 GH3 guitars) and my Yamaha e-drums. And it really hurts, since RB was my favourite series of last gen, and we still play it on 360, but it seems the old lady won't be around much longer :-(

This sounds good, but I'm betting it's going to be a downloadable 'update' of sorts that just takes RB3 and make it RB3.5, make it work on PS4/Xbone, throw in some new songs (think 'RB Blitz' style soundtrack) and support it with semi-regular DLC updates while charging an upgrade fee to relicense your DLC on the new console. Or something.

This won't be a $60 retail release though.

Not the ideal scenario, but I'd be totally ok with that. The only purpose my 360 has is as a Rock Band machine. If I can upgrade to current gen, I can get rid of it and have less boxes next to my TV.

I didn't have a problem with them. GH: Aerosmith, GH: Metallica, Beatles, and Green Day were all well done.

The one that shouldn't have happened was GH Van Halen. Holy shit they sent that one out to die and put in the minimum effort. Ignored a band member entirely and let Wolfgang choose his favorite Rock Band DLC to put in as guest songs.

edit: for people that don't remember, they literally gave Van Halen away for free if you bought the Guitar Hero that came out that year. Surprise surprise, it sold like butts when it had it's real retail release, and they barely even advertised it or acknowledge it existed.

And for a consumer that was fantastic.

Buy GH, get Van Halen, which was a fully polished game with like 50 songs, for free?

Why the fuck not.

Harmonix crashed the genre with their greedy ass DLC system.

With GH, you got 150 songs for $50.

Rock band wanted, what $1.99 a song? $2.99 for some songs? WTF is that.

You got a deal if you payed $20 for a 20-song track pack!

FyreWulff

Eh, 2$ was just right. 1$ for the song, 1$ for the charting.

Also, there was never official DLC that was 3$ for a song. That was some RBN songs because it was one of the price points you could select for XNA content.

I'm not sure how they were supposed to let us get new songs for free. They at least let us buy 99% of the catalog as singles or packs, which cost them extra money to do since they got charged for cert twice on both the pack and single versions of songs. It's why Activision was pack-only in the older GHs.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

Buy GH, get Van Halen, which was a fully polished game with like 50 songs, for free?

Why the fuck not.

This is just pure lunacy.

It was only Rock Band that let you export songs from the first game to keep playing in the second game, and so on onto the thrid game. And ditto with all the DLC.

Guitar Hero was all about stop playing that old shit and buy our new shit up until World Tour, and by then if you wanted to play a track from 1, 2, or 3, or Metallica, or Aerosmith, or Van Halen, or Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80's, well boot it up and enjoy the old mechanics and missing drum part, etc, etc.

Guitar Hero was on Activision's pump-it-out-and-use-it-up plan.

Why the fuck not.

This might be the worst opinion I've ever read.

opoth

Banned
I own all the peripherals and a few hundred songs on 360, and haven't pulled the trigger on a current generation system aside from a Wii U, which I love and is keeping me very happy for now.

I plan on staying on the sidelines for another year and choosing either a PS4 or XBone at that point. The problem is, I'm currently leaning more toward a PS4 as it stands...and I'm not delusional or entitled enough to think that any level of backwards compatibility will be cross-platform in a million years

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
41566-rock-band-pink-floyd.png
32455-pink-floyd-rock-band.jpg

Pink Floyd: Rock Band

No other band has the imagery (Flying Pigs!), the themes, the library, even whole songs with full animations (Marching Hammers!) ready to get the deluxe treatment. We need the dark flip side to The Beatles: Rock Band.

They just put out an album, too. Believe.

I love Pink Floyd but I think people are overestimating how fun their music would be in Rock Band. It's pretty slow, even most of the guitar leads.

This is just pure lunacy.

It was only Rock Band that let you export songs from the first game to keep playing in the second game, and so on onto the thrid game. And ditto with all the DLC.

Guitar Hero was all about stop playing that old shit and buy our new shit up until World Tour, and by then if you wanted to play a track from 1, 2, or 3, or Metallica, or Aerosmith, or Van Halen, or Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80's, well boot it up and enjoy the old mechanics and missing drum part, etc, etc.

Guitar Hero was on Activision's pump-it-out-and-use-it-up plan.

Look, Im not saying RB was garbage. The export to next game feature was cool, but lets not pretend that was available on every platform.

Fact is, people prefer quantity. With GH, you were paying 30 cents a song, for $2 a song in RB. Why the fuck would you want to pay so much more?

The consumers spoke, and GH destroyed RB in sales. Of course it helepd that GH had vastly superior instruments.

Yes, Harmonix tried to get in on the fun my flooding the market with Beatles, Green Day, AC/DC, County pack etc etc, but except for Beatles, they completely half-assed it.

Say what you want about the music in Van Halen or Aerosmith or Metalicca, but those were fully formed band experiences, not some RB style cash in.

In the meanwhile we had Rockmisth which teaches to play real guitars, so, no more plastic please. If they focus on real electronic drums and karaoke then I'd definitely be interested in buying a new RB.

opoth

Banned
In the meanwhile we had Rockmisth which teaches to play real guitars, so, no more plastic please. If they focus on real electronic drums and karaoke then I'd definitely be interested in buying a new RB.

There is room in the marketplace for both air guitar party games and serious instructional tools.

The consumers spoke, and GH destroyed RB in sales. Of course it helepd that GH had vastly superior instruments.

Rock Band 3 sold twice as much as Guitar Hero 6. By the end consumers were sick of Guitar Hero as its userbase dwindled. Rock Band kept it's userbase strong through to the end.

Ninhead

Except the charting was shit for any GH after 2, and singing was broken for GH:WT and GH5. Couldn't touch Harmonix there. And as far as GH being a better deal for the songs versus cost argument? Guitar Hero after 3 had the weakest tracklists out of any music games- couldn't TOUCH what Harmonix put together. I'd have much rather paid $1.99 to guarantee I had the songs I wanted.

Also, the more I think about it, there's no way DLC will go forward. It's possible, but there's no way HMX has the money to relicense all of that for new systems. I wish they could, but I don't see any way they could.

ElNino

Fact is, people prefer quantity. With GH, you were paying 30 cents a song, for $2 a song in RB. Why the fuck would you want to pay so much more?
What? Are you comparing the price per song on the disc of GH to RB DLC prices?

Regardless, RB won in both quality and quantity thanks to the extensive DLC (especially including the RBN tracks). Regardless of your (high questionable) opinion of RB DLC and it's impact on the genre, there were a large number of us who looked forward to the weekly DLC.

Jamix012

I think a lack of Wii U/360/PS3 versions would be a business mistake. There is definitely a market for the game on these consoles. Maybe even a Wii version.

Imbarkus

I love Pink Floyd but I think people are overestimating how fun their music would be in Rock Band. It's pretty slow, even most of the guitar leads.

Think of it as changing the focus of the challenge over to endurance, for 20 minutes numbers like Echoes. Also, time to take a drag between leads.

Hahaha no seriously you take back what you said. Pfft. Slow. ;)

Zomba13

To all the people saying this is a bad idea etc I think if done right, and with no Guitar hero, this could work well.

I think it would have to be a service rather than a series. Something like one game or whatever for the generation and everything else as DLC or a subscription or even a rental based model. If they can work magic and have last gen instruments work on current gen then I think it'll do even better as people would be more willing to jump in if they can grab their old stuff.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Look, Im not saying RB was garbage. The export to next game feature was cool, but lets not pretend that was available on every platform.

Yes, Harmonix tried to get in on the fun my flooding the market with Beatles, Green Day, AC/DC, County pack etc etc, but except for Beatles, they completely half-assed it.

Say what you want about the music in Van Halen or Aerosmith or Metalicca, but those were fully formed band experiences, not some RB style cash in.

Your memory is fuzzy, guitar hero songs actually cost more than rock band songs back in the guitar hero 2 and 3 era, and were certainly not 30 cents each lol. I think they eventually priced down to $2 each, the standard that Rock Band had set.

Secondly, guitar hero sold better than rock band was because it was first, more mindshare. A new ip vs a game that already has 3 iterations.

Superior instruments... is subjective.

to suggest harmonix was greedy for offering weekly, OPTIONAL, dlc that cost so much to license and all that jazz, is ludicrous and absolutely mind blowing.

FyreWulff

Rocksmith is fun as much as Rockband was. Why spend a hundred for a plastic guitar when you can learn to play a real one?

Why ever have fun?

Also, you're assuming that people that learn other instruments and prefer those want to learn guitar as well.

I play real bass and I have no interest in learning full on guitar. Rock Band lets me have fun "feeling" the songs via gameplay. I've literally only seen Rocksmith being viewed as a replacement for RB here on GAF, the music game community as a whole generally plays both (if they have the money and space)

Your memory is fuzzy, guitar hero songs actually cost more than rock band songs back in the guitar hero 2 and 3 era, and were certainly not 30 cents each lol. I think they eventually priced down to $2 each, the standard that Rock Band had set.

Superior instruments... is subjective.

150 song for $50 bucks, how much does each song cost...?

Not subjective, its universally agreed that the RB guitars were trash.

Rock Band 3 sold twice as much as Guitar Hero 6. By the end consumers were sick of Guitar Hero as its userbase dwindled. Rock Band kept it's userbase strong through to the end.

Source?

And its easier to keep a user-base strong when there are so many less of them.

Imbarkus

Rocksmith is fun as much as Rockband was. Why spend a hundred for a plastic guitar when you can learn to play a real one?

I don't want to learn to play guitar, and I don't own a guitar as a result.

The price of an actual guitar is kind of steep if I only intend to use it as if its a plastic controller with big colored buttons.

Also big colored buttons do not bestow or require callouses in the same way I've heard guitar strings do.

opoth

Banned
people really are misremembering GH. I had a lot of fun with the early Harmonix titles (1, 2, 80s) and I thought 3 and 5 were the best of the post-Harmonix era, but the single band GH games and their DLC model left a lot to be desired compared to RB.

Why ever have fun?

Also, you're assuming that people that learn other instruments and prefer those want to learn guitar as well.

I play real bass and I have no interest in learning full on guitar. Rock Band lets me have fun "feeling" the songs via gameplay.

You can play bass with Rocksmith and you can "feel" the songs with it too. It actually decreases or improves difficulty depending on how you're playing!

There's just not much more room from plastic guitar, you can have fun and learn an instrument with Rocksmith. You don't want to? Just notch the difficulty down and have fun.

You'll need a strong argument to convince people to spend an hefty sum for some plastic.

I don't want to learn to play guitar, and I don't own a guitar as a result.

The price of an actual guitar is kind of steep if I only intend to use it as if its a plastic controller with big colored buttons.

Also big colored buttons do not bestow or require callouses in the same way I've heard guitar strings do.

I don't want to learn to play guitar too and I bought a strat for 150€ and an amp for 50€. I've been playing with Rocksmith for over a year and I still don't know even a single scale nor do I know what notes I'm playing but oh boy If I don't know how to rock R' U Mine from Artic Monkeys.

That's why I want a new Rockband that focuses on real instruments, so I can buy a real set of electronic drums that I can use everywhere and not just in my bedroom.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It would be cool if it could use the PS4/XB1's respective camera's to record you and your friends playing the song, and then allow you to add effects later (such as removing the note chart) and save the video of the performance.

FyreWulff

You can play bass with Rocksmith and you can "feel" the songs with it too. It actually decreases or improves difficulty depending on how you're playing!

There's just not much more room from plastic guitar, you can have fun and learn an instrument with Rocksmith. You don't want to? Just notch the difficulty down and have fun.

You'll need a strong argument to convince people to spend an hefty sum for some plastic.

I don't want to learn to play guitar too and I bought a strat for 150€. I've been playing with Rocksmith for over a year and I still don't know even a single scale nor do I know what notes I'm playing but oh boy If I don't know how to rock R' U Mine from Artic Monkeys.

I know you can play bass with Rocksmith, because I play Rocksmith, and didn't get it until they added bass.

You're literally pointing out right now that you just learned how to play someone else's songs on a real guitar instead of a fake one.

Rock Band shits all over post-3 Guitar Hero. Not even close.

i always felt like they were wasting their resources releasing sequels. Just make a competent game (RB3 finally got the catalog sorting/management mostly right) and make your money on DLC sales.

I also hate the band-specific games. Terrible idea and huge waste of time/resources. Probably the biggest contributor to demise of genre.

Allesandro: drum e-kit + midi adapter already lets you play "real" drums with RB3. The future is now!

Iorv3th

Maybe not, but what they did with the Beatles was awesome. Was also really surprising at the time with how they were so strict over their licensing.

What didn't make sense though was Green Day Rockband and Lego Rockband. AC/DC was just a dlc pack basically, they didn't do anything special for that game, just slapped the songs in RB1 and shipped it on a disc for 20$ (which I think was exclusively at wal-mart).

I would really like to see them implement real guitar into the game. If they could do some kinda collaboration with the rocksmith guys that would be cool. I know they already have helped with bandfuse so heres hoping.

I know you can play bass with Rocksmith, because I play Rocksmith, and didn't get it until they added bass.

You're literally pointing out right now that you just learned how to play someone else's songs on a real guitar instead of a fake one.

I don't get your point: you don't play anything on a plastic guitar with buttons. What I do know is that If you invest enough time on Rocksmith you can learn to play a song. You won't learn to play an instrument though.

I did and I have had the same fun as when I was pressing button with Rockband.

Top Bottom