• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: some grated parmesan sold on market has 0% parmesan, up to 8% wood-pulp

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-16/the-parmesan-cheese-you-sprinkle-on-your-penne-could-be-wood

The stakes are 100 percent real for him. Schuman’s Fairfield, New Jersey-based company, Arthur Schuman Inc., is the biggest seller of hard Italian cheeses in the U.S., with 33 percent of the domestic market. He estimates that 20 percent of U.S. production — worth $375 million in sales — is mislabeled.

“The tipping point was grated cheese, where less than 40 percent of the product was actually a cheese product,” Schuman said. “Consumers are innocent, and they’re not getting what they bargained for. And that’s just wrong.”

How serious is the problem? Bloomberg News had store-bought grated cheese tested for wood-pulp content by an independent laboratory.

Cellulose is a safe additive, and an acceptable level is 2 percent to 4 percent, according to Dean Sommer, a cheese technologist at the Center for Dairy Research in Madison, Wisconsin.

Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, from Jewel-Osco, was 8.8 percent cellulose, while Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8 percent, according to test results. Whole Foods 365 brand didn’t list cellulose as an ingredient on the label, but still tested at 0.3 percent. Kraft had 3.8 percent.

“We remain committed to the quality of our products,” Michael Mullen, a Kraft Heinz Co. spokesman, said in an e-mail. John Forrest Ales, a Wal-Mart spokesman, said he questioned the reliability of testing a single sample and that Wal-Mart’s “compliance team is looking into these findings.”

Jewel-Osco is also investigating, spokeswoman Mary Frances Trucco said in an e-mail. “We pride ourselves on the quality of products we deliver for our customers,” Trucco said.

“We strongly believe that there is no cellulose present,” Blaire Kniffin, a Whole Foods Market Inc. spokeswoman, said in an e-mail, adding that it could have been a false positive. “But we are investigating this matter.”

According to the FDA’s report on Castle, obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, “no parmesan cheese was used to manufacture” the Market Pantry brand 100% grated Parmesan Cheese, sold at Target Corp. stores, and Always Save Grated Parmesan Cheese and Best Choice 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, sold by Associated Wholesale Grocers Inc., which along with its subsidiaries supplies 3,400 retail stores in 30 states.

Instead, there was a mixture of Swiss, mozzarella, white cheddar and cellulose, according to the FDA.

Castle has never been an authorized Target vendor, according to Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder. “We are investigating the information provided in the report,” she said in an e-mail. Jeff Pedersen, an executive vice president of Associated Wholesale Grocers, had no comment.

Of all the popular cheeses in the U.S., the hard Italian varieties are the most likely to have fillers because of their expense. Parmesan wheels sit in curing rooms for months, losing moisture, which results in a smaller yield than other cheeses offer. While 100 pounds of milk might produce 10 pounds of cheddar, it makes only eight pounds of Parmesan. That two-pound difference means millions of dollars to manufacturers, according to Sommer.

Lauren E. Sucher, an FDA spokeswoman, said the agency couldn’t comment on pending legal cases. “The FDA takes economic fraud very seriously,” she said in an e-mail.

The FDA’s investigation may be the spark that changes things, said John Umhoefer, executive director of the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association.

“The industry wants to be known for a wholesome, safe, honest product — it’s what’s kept the industry growing for 100 years,” he said. “The wholesomeness of dairy products is a treasured part of our story.”

Cyan

Banned
According to the FDA’s report on Castle, obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, “no parmesan cheese was used to manufacture” the Market Pantry brand 100% grated Parmesan Cheese, sold at Target Corp. stores, and Always Save Grated Parmesan Cheese and Best Choice 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, sold by Associated Wholesale Grocers Inc., which along with its subsidiaries supplies 3,400 retail stores in 30 states.
But 100% of it is grated!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
But we need less regulation on businesses! Forget that, these companies would have us eating rats if they could get away with it. The food industry is still kinda scary now, but pre FDA...horrific.

Anyone who doesn't buy genuine Parmigiano deserves to be eating wood.

The Italian food industry loses billions a year on products that claim to be Italian or show symbols that relate to Italy.

zer0das

Banned
Doesn't really surprise me. They dyed cheddar orange to convince people their cows ate better than they did long ago. Like corporations aren't going to take shortcuts. I'm sure they were like "we were mortified to find out we made millions duping people."

So what should I buy?

parmigiano-reggiano

parmigiano-logo.png

look for this logo.

Or grana padano

Logo-GranaPadano.png

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Shit's still good poured all over pepperoni pizza.. though they shouldn't label it what it's not... my 8yr old calls it "sprinkle cheese"... just call it that.

AxeMan

That's why you don't buy pre-ground stuff

My in-laws used to own an Italian Deli and they had the big slabs of parmesan, you'd go in and ask for some, they'd cut it and grind it for you on the spot

Hycran

Banned
No, they want that for the same reason anyone wants to trademark a name: monopoly power.

While monopoly plays into the decision, they also want to preserve the cultural heritage of their product. They also aren't against people selling parmesan cheese, they are just against you selling it as "parmesan cheese" when it isn't from the parma region (Emilia-Romagna includes modena, parma, bologna and other areas which are known for creating said cheese)

The law surrounding geographical indicators is actually quite interesting, especially as much of the law on the subject stems from American's and Canadians being sued for selling "champagne". American's were straight up calling their products champagne whereas Canadians were selling either sparkling wine or "Canadian Champagne" which was found to be sufficiently different from normal champagne (back in the day) to not impinge on the geographical monopoly that Champagne from the actual champagne region used to have.

A large problem currently is that the law on geographical indicators essentially needs to be overwritten by uniform international legislation as part of the test for geographical indicators is whether the item has been used to the point that it has lost the uniqueness of its name. Champagne has gone back and forth and even been called "quasi-protected", but the new battle is over cheese, most predominantly due to the cheese lobby in the states not wanting their business to be affected by some uppity Italians.

All that being said, if you're going to splurge on anything, nothing beats a freshly ground 100% authentic reggiano. Grana Padano is second tier.

As someone who has had actual,proper grated Parmesan from a Italian place in town here, yeah, there's a huge difference when it's the proper stuff.

Like, yknow, actual flavour.

Shred your own cheese. We already knew this.

I also laugh at the "we put cream cheese in your cheese to make it cheaper I mean melt better!"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone who doesn't buy genuine Parmigiano deserves to be eating wood.

The Italian food industry loses billions a year on products that claim to be Italian or show symbols that relate to Italy.

The point of the article is tha companies are deliberately misleading customers with fake substitutes. That's hardly because the consumer is a bumbling rube, Anthony Bourderp.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Glad I get my cheese at the local Italian market where they grate it right in front of me.

cameron

Grating cheese is not hard or time consuming. What are you making that requires grated cheese but you have no time to do it yourself?

Castle President Michelle Myrter is scheduled to plead guilty this month to criminal charges. She faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine.
I hope it was worth it, Michelle. Fine should be way higher.

kess

Who would have ever imagined that Wal-Mart would sell their valued customers literal sawdust? Why I never.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
It's an anticaking agent and adds consistency. Also used for fiber supplementation.
I'd go for a labeling change but some of the "sawdust" comments are fewd boob status.

I am so going to have fun talking with the people at my job about this (I work at Jewel-Osco part time).

Also, we have wheels of Parmesan cheese in the back that we do grate ourselves and sell. Isn't cheap, though.

How's the Trader Joe's stuff? I know olive oil in general is a scam and bullshit too. It's like even if you try to be better and get legit ingredients you still get fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom