• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: some grated parmesan sold on market has 0% parmesan, up to 8% wood-pulp

Status
Not open for further replies.

soqquatto

stop with this nonsense that pecorino is superior to parmesan
it isn't
. It's just a different family of cheese with different uses. Also, what would you advocate it's the best pecorino? because you can't switch out pecorino romano with pecorino sardo or pecorino di pienza and so on. also, you can't do a parmigiana with pecorino, it's just wrong, so your point is automatically moot.

in any case try the comté.

8bit

Knows the Score
How do you know what feet tastes like? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Based upon my expectation of what feet would taste like due to experiences of being in close proximity to rather smelly feet.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Who needs regulations? The free market will sort this out. Grated wood pulp for everyone!

Yeah there's only cellulose in it now because the heavy hands of the government effectively pushed them into a corner and made it necessary!

Well I guess it's 100% grated "Parmesan"-y style inspired flavor. I'm a pretty big fan of just keeping a wedge of Parmesan on hand and grating some when I need it.

I know the use of Champagne has been an issue

It's a lot like Star Trek: The Next Generation. In many it's superior, but will never be as recognized as the original.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The Kraft brand specifically says it has cellulose in it, which isn't a bad thing.

That is absolutely a bad thing. It's a terrible thing. It's even worse that people think it's not a bad thing. Short of them including one free stabbing in the earhole, it's the worst thing in the world to happen to food. "Well, shit, at least they're honest about including wood in my cheese." That's not fetch. That's so fucking not fetch.

That is absolutely a bad thing. It's a terrible thing. It's even worse that people think it's not a bad thing. Short of them including one free stabbing in the earhole, it's the worst thing in the world to happen to food. "Well, shit, at least they're honest about including wood in my cheese." That's not fetch. That's so fucking not fetch.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If you're joking, I tip my hat to you, bro. If you're serious, I'm wondering, what are the side effects of eating cellulose/could you elaborate?

Ryuukan

you tell em foodbabe

talk about vaccines next

WanderingWind

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If you're joking, I tip my hat to you, bro. If you're serious, I'm wondering, what are the side effects of eating cellulose/could you elaborate?

Oh, man. I guess I misstyped and posted something about harmful side effects of cellulose. Shit, my bad bro. I thought I was just talking about food conglomerates convincing Americans that wood by-product is just something that has to be added to cheese. Clearly, some combination of the words I used manifested some secret code that you saw that had something to do with side effects. I'll have to work on my invisible, non-existent words in the future.

you tell em foodbabe

talk about vaccines next

And lord knows what the fuck you're talking about.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's okay if it has the scrapings off the insides of slaughtered baby calf stomachs, but I'm not putting up with some cellulose that makes up the majority of plants god dammit.

NewFresh

It's an insoluble fiber made out of plants and wood, used as an anti-caking agent... the issue isn't powdered cellulose, it's companies being deceitful. Cool your jets.

soqquatto

The Kraft brand specifically says it has cellulose in it, which isn't a bad thing.

yes, it is, it's totally bad. I agree it's edible, but it's not cheese. you're buying cheese, why should there be any wood shavings in it? many more things are edible but I don't want to eat them and sure as hell I don't want them in my parmigiano.

WanderingWind

It's okay if it has the scrapings off the insides of slaughtered baby calf stomachs, but I'm not putting up with some cellulose that makes up the majority of plants god dammit.

So, uh, what are you getting at? Just "fuck it, if it doesn't kill you, why not add it if it saves Kraft some cash?" Are you people really this confused that food doesn't need to contain extraneous stuff in it?

It's an insoluble fiber made out of plants and wood, used as an anti-caking agent... the issue isn't powdered cellulose, it's companies being deceitful. Cool your jets.

It is absolutely the point. It actually makes me a bit sad that you and others think it's not.

EDIT: And for the record, I'm mostly having fun. I would have thought the whole "free stabbing" thing would've made that obvious. Add this [/s] wherever it's supposed to go. I'm too old to understand where to place that fucking thing.

Future

Ever since i found out that Kraft American cheese was cheese "product" that contained no damn cheese that part of the shopping aisle is dead to me

Real cheese section has cheese blocks that you can grate so easily that this is all I get now. Of course it's a little more expensive, but a real burger is more expensive than McDonald's as well. It's worth it

lawnchair

Banned
buying a block of parm regg is really so worth it. seems expensive when you buy it, but .. its a dense chunk of cheese that should last you a while, and if properly stored won't go bad quickly. totally worth it. so much better than paying money for wood cheese

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
yes, it is, it's totally bad. I agree it's edible, but it's not cheese. you're buying cheese, why should there be any wood shavings in it? many more things are edible but I don't want to eat them and sure as hell I don't want them in my parmigiano.
Anti-caking, moisture absorption, are important for shredded cheese shelf life and consistency. Don't like it, don't buy it and buy a triangle of Parmesan and grate it yourself.
Nothing inherently wrong about it, except for the misleading labeling.

Can we stop calling, Powdered Cellulose "Wood Shavings" or "wood pulp"?
Seriously.

So can I get a grated Parmesan that's 100% Parmesan?

Depends. Check if the store you're going to actually has Parmiggiano Reggiano, and then ask them to grate it for you. Even though my chain was called out in the OP for our generic, we do have the real thing.

WanderingWind

OMG OH NOES!

Sorry that facts offend you so. Enjoy eating your "cheese," I guess. You'll sure show me, eating Kraft's lowest common denominator.

Pray tell, how do you think plants maintain their rigidity?

What? You guys really do equate "maybe cheese should contain cheese" with some anti-vaxxer/hippy shit, eh? Some of you really need to go find you a couple of chefs to hang out with. Not Applebee's microwave cooks. Chefs.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cellulose has its place in grated cheese as anti-caking agent. Nothing wrong with it as long as it's properly labeled and cheeky vendors don't try to use it as filler. Try to grate cheese and put it in a bag: it turns into a clump in just a few hours. That's where cellulose (or cornstarch) comes handy for supermarket chains.

I personally buy Grana Padano since it's much cheaper than proper Parmesan and pretty much the same thing if you intend to use it for cooking instead that eating it right away. The problem is that buying a slab and grating it at home can be fairly costly unless you eat a lot of cheese or intend to use it all before it turns bad, so pre-grated bags are better suited for many folks.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Sorry that facts offend you so. Enjoy eating your "cheese," I guess. You'll sure show me, eating Kraft's lowest common denominator.

What? You guys really do equate "maybe cheese should contain cheese" with some anti-vaxxer/hippy shit, eh? Some of you really need to go find you a couple of chefs to hang out with. Not Applebee's microwave cooks. Chefs.

oh please get over yourself.
Cellulose has its place in grated cheese as anti-caking agent. Nothing wrong with it as long as it's properly labeled and cheeky vendors don't try to use it as filler. Try to grate cheese and put it in a bag: it turns into a clump in just a few hours. That's where cellulose (or cornstarch) comes handy for supermarket chains.

I personally buy Grana Padano since it's much cheaper than proper Parmesan and pretty much the same thing if you intend to use it for cooking instead that eating it right away. The problem is that buying a slab and grating it at home can be fairly costly unless you eat a lot of cheese or intend to use it all before it turns bad, so pre-grated bags are better suited for many folks.

Basically. The labeling I have contentions with, not the use of cellulose. I usually don't cook a lot of Italian food, so on occasion that I do, I'll buy a bit of parm. The pre shredded stuff is fine for most common uses. I prefer the Mexican Cotija over Parmesan for that.

riotous

Banned
Kraft is the worst I'll buy; I enjoy the flavor. Sometimes more than the real stuff.

My grocery store sells freshly grated, sliced, etc parm with no fillers. And of course parm blocks of all varieties; if I'm in the mood for something with more funk than the simple flavor of Kraft I'll buy a tub, I particularly like the sliced sort of "thin wood chip" sized varieties.

Cleaning a cheese grater is such a pain and if you dish wash them they tend to fall apart or rust; need to buy a higher quality one I guess.

Cellulose has its place in grated cheese as anti-caking agent. Nothing wrong with it as long as it's properly labeled and cheeky vendors don't try to use it as filler.

I don't know much about that stuff, but how do they get that cellulose out of these plants, do they use some fancy chemicals? If so, doesn't that add to the chemical cocktail consisting of small traces of pesticides, fungicides, fertilisiers and other residues coming from wrappings, ink on the packages, antibiotics in animals and so on everybody ingests on a daily basis??

Isolated all these things might very well be a non-issue for human health, but what about the accumulation of all that shit from the day we're born till the day we die?

andycapps

How's the Trader Joe's stuff? I know olive oil in general is a scam and bullshit too. It's like even if you try to be better and get legit ingredients you still get fucked.

Their California olive oil is some of the best you can get. I would assume their stuff is better.

The thing that gets me is, if you're buying cheese and it doesn't have to be refrigerated in the store, that's probably a big red flag.

oti

Banned
Look, if you buy pre-grated parmesan you have bigger problems in your life than wood-pulp. Get your act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom