• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: some grated parmesan sold on market has 0% parmesan, up to 8% wood-pulp

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Look, if you buy pre-grated parmesan you have bigger problems in your life than wood-pulp. Get your act together.

200_s.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't know much about that stuff, but how do they get that cellulose out of these plants, do they use some fancy chemicals? If so, doesn't that add to the chemical cocktail consisting of small traces of pesticides, fungicides, fertilisiers and other residues coming from wrappings, ink on the packages, antibiotics in animals and so on everybody ingests on a daily basis??

Isolated all these things might very well be a non-issue for human health, but what about the accumulation of all that shit from the day we're born till the day we die?

Food manufacturers buy aditives in bulk from providers that pass all the required safety tests. I can only imagine that cellulose gets screened like maltodextrin or glucose. I can't see how it could be riskier than other aditives from natural sources such as certain oils and fats.

TVexperto

But we need less regulation on businesses! Forget that, these companies would have us eating rats if they could get away with it. The food industry is still kinda scary now, but pre FDA...horrific.

The thing is people say food tasted better in the 60s because there were less fake ingriedients in it and more natural food

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The thing is people say food tasted better in the 60s because there were less fake ingriedients in it and more natural food

You mean the era where everything was gelatin and MSG'd?
I have several of my dad's cookbooks from the 60s, it's hilarious.

We have way more variety of foods and ethnic foods than in the 60s.

Any preshredded cheese is going to have cellulose or some other anti caking product.
It's why if you want cheese to melt properly, you should shred your own.

WanderingWind

Yeah, the casserole and gelatin phase of the 60s-70s was terrible. Julia Child did what she could. Even her transcendence wasn't enough. A whole generation of people raised to think Jello was the height of culinary mastery. RIP, you beautiful soul.

Look, if you buy pre-grated parmesan you have bigger problems in your life than wood-pulp. Get your act together.
LOL this. I have a friend that travels every year to Greece to bring Parmesan (and to visit his family). I always get a bit from him and it lasts me a while. I wish I could get the good stuff in the supermarket, but alas.
I always buy a slice of a wheel and grate myself. The stuff actually melts that way too.
Damn dude, doesn't it hurt?

soqquatto

Yeah, the casserole and gelatin phase of the 60s-70s was terrible. Julia Child did what she could. Even her transcendence wasn't enough. A whole generation of people raised to think Jello was the height of culinary mastery. RIP, you beautiful soul.

you know there are other countries in the world, places where Jell-o was never heard of. in some places eating was pretty great back then and it still is.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
you know there are other countries in the world, places where Jell-o was never heard of. in some places eating was pretty great back then and it still is.

Eating is pretty great now in America.

The access to foods from all over the country/world is amazing. The amount of choices you have is amazing.

Great cheeses made in the US and Europe. Fresh vegetables and grains and fruits. Wonderful varieties of restaurants making an insane amount of different things.

Judging American food by McDonald's and Kraft is just as ludicrous as judging American beer by Budweiser or American music by Meghan Trainor.

Ryuukan

but the article the thread is about concerns US production and products on US store shelves

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only Parmesan that matters, does not approve of this bullshit:

2twtSHV.jpg

But seriously: What is with mega-chains like Target/Walmarts generic brands not having the stuff they advertise in them?

Eating is pretty great now in America.

The access to foods from all over the country/world is amazing. The amount of choices you have is amazing.

Great cheeses made in the US and Europe. Fresh vegetables and grains and fruits. Wonderful varieties of restaurants making an insane amount of different things.

Judging American food by McDonald's and Kraft is just as ludicrous as judging American beer by Budweiser or American music by Meghan Trainor.

Judging food culture based what the majority eats is pretty fair in my opinion.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Judging food culture based what the majority is eating is pretty fair in my opinion.

Not if you want to make a useful judgement.

Saying food sucks in America because most people eat Kraft dinner and McDonald's is not useful because it leaves out that we have access to a likely historically high variety of different foods.

Not if you want to make a useful judgement.

Saying food sucks in America because most people eat Kraft dinner and McDonald's is not useful because it leaves out that we have access to a likely historically high variety of different foods.

I didn't say that food sucks in the America but claiming food is great in the USA because you can import European stuff or other stuff from all the world just says that the food in the rest of the world is great.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I didn't say that food sucks in the America but claiming food is great in the USA because you can import European stuff or other stuff from all the world just says that the food in the rest of the world is great.

We have amazing farms here, amazing cheese makers, amazing breweries and wineries, amazing restaurants, amazing food shops etc. We can also get shit that Europeans really like.

I wasn't even responding to you originally, I responded to someone saying that some people live in a place where food was amazing in the 60s and still is, implying that food in America is not amazing. I'm saying that food in America is amazing.

We have amazing farms here, amazing cheese makers, amazing breweries and wineries, amazing restaurants, amazing food shops etc. We can also get shit that Europeans really like.

I wasn't even responding to you originally, I responded to someone saying that some people live in a place where food was amazing in the 60s and still is, implying that food in America is not amazing. I'm saying that food in America is amazing.

And at the other side you say one can't rate American beer based on the mainstream beers.
While I can go to Belgium, Czechia or Germany and the mainstream beers taste great - even ignoring all the traditional regional beer brands.

WanderingWind

Do you do this in every thread? Like, if somebody is talking about the top box office or whatever, do you interject with the box office takings from Uruguay or something? I mentioned an American TV chef. I thought people would generally understand that if I'm talking about an American TV chef, in a thread about an American publication, talking about an American food issue, that I wasn't likely talking about Norway.

And you know, read the rest of the thread where I poke fun at American food culture, chief.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
And at the other side you say one can't rate American beer based on the mainstream beers.
While I can go to Belgium, Czechia or Germany and the mainstream beers taste great - even ignoring all the traditional regional beer brands.

Craft beer is mainstream in the US. Available at nearly every single store that sells beer and at most bars. When you get a minimum level of accessibility, popularity is irrelevant.

Honestly, the cheese substitutes bothers me way more than the cellulose. Don't really care much about additive or even fillers (up to a point, I'm cheap not crazy), but I do expect my Parmesan to have some, you know, Parmesan in it.

Craft beer is mainstream in the US. Available at nearly every single store that sells beer and at most bars. When you get a minimum level of accessibility, popularity is irrelevant.

Well said. The shitty pizza place next to my shop in the middle of Arkansas has 12 taps. Every single one last year was corporate mega-beer, today, every single one is local/regional craft beer.

The minor league baseball stadium now has a craft beer pavilion with 8 different local/regional craft beers as well.

Craft beer has arrived in a big way.

No, not raelly.

Craft beer (which doesn't even say anything about the quality) has a marketshare of 14% in the USA.
The USA is still a nation of light beer drinkers and that's not something that's make a good impression in the most parts of the rest of the world.

andycapps

That's cool and it's true that mainstream beers are better there, but craft beer isn't a niche thing in the US that you have to look hard to find in bars or stores. They're everywhere. Any supermarket has a pretty huge variety and it's getting better every year.

As far as popularity, who gives a shit. If I enjoy it more and can get it wherever Bud Light is served, who cares. They can drink their piss water and I'll drink something with taste.

Garlador

Great. Now I find out I'm pouring wood pulp on the pasta I made with sunflower and hazelnut "extra virgin olive oil".

I'm moving back to Italy.

Ryuukan

That's cool and it's true that mainstream beers are better there, but craft beer isn't a niche thing in the US that you have to look hard to find in bars or stores. They're everywhere. Any supermarket has a pretty huge variety and it's getting better every year.

As far as popularity, who gives a shit. If I enjoy it more and can get it wherever Bud Light is served, who cares. They can drink their piss water and I'll drink something with taste.

you're missing the point of the derailment

all food in europe is farm to fork, the fast food places there are actually banks for tax evasion

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
No, not raelly.

Craft beer (which doesn't even say anything about the quality) has a marketshare of 14% in the USA.
The USA is still a nation of light beer drinkers and that's not something that's make a good impression in the most parts of the rest of the world.

Who cares about impressions? They can be false.

How is accessibility to great, fresh products not more important than popularity?

DOWN

Banned
This was on 60 Minutes I think? There's like a mafia that is in charge of thousands of farms and restaurants and they put out fake olive oil and parmesan that gets sent to places like Target and all sorts of major US chains.

Raistlin

Anyone who doesn't buy genuine Parmigiano deserves to be eating wood.

The Italian food industry loses billions a year on products that claim to be Italian or show symbols that relate to Italy.

Re-read your first sentence ... then re-read your second.

The general consumer is supposed to inherently know that products actively marketed to make them think they are Italian, aren't? And for those that get bamboozled, they deserve it?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So, uh, what are you getting at? Just "fuck it, if it doesn't kill you, why not add it if it saves Kraft some cash?" Are you people really this confused that food doesn't need to contain extraneous stuff in it?
I hate to break it to you, but cheese is what happens when you add extraneous stuff to milk. We don't have cheesing cows right next to the milling cows. If adding cellulose is not harmful and doesn't affect my enjoyment of the product then why should I care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom