• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_R

I have great confidence in the writers and I'm not worried about the show's outcome without Jimmy. I have never been a Michael Pitt fan, in fact, I kinda hated watching him act.

However, he grew on me incredibly fast in BE and to the point where he ended my favourite character. My point is that Terrence Winter, along every other writer, got me hooked with a character (played by an actor that I did not like) so easily. So I have no doubt in my mind that they will write another great character in and make most of us hooked again. There are enough interesting characters waiting for an arc.

If by any chance the show can't keep up with the high mark season 2 left, and if no other person can really replace Jimmy as a very mysterious and interesting character then what the hell. I still will think that they did great ending season 2 like they did.

Main character to become Chalky! I would be down for that shit.

Just give me a whole lot more Rothstein next season.

I would love for you to get REALLY angry next season when they put Van Alden and Chalky as little as possible on screen. I would LOVE more Rothstein though. Actually, I would bed for more of him. ;)

jett

D-Member
I'm pretty far removed from the show so I can't remember exactly what was going on between Nucky and Manny, but wouldn't Nucky want to keep him around since Manny is principled and more predictable than most? There might be something to contradict this, but it's not coming to me.

These aren't moral people. They act out of self interest. Nucky teaming up with Manny is hardly the most offensive thing he's done, especially if you consider Manny killing her to be 'practical' (which I do, as far as thugs go).

Eh, for me it was by far the worst thing he's done in the show.

Main character to become Chalky! I would be down for that shit.

Just give me a whole lot more Rothstein next season.

HAHA YES! After watching The Wire I definitely want more Chalky.

Dabanton

I'm pretty far removed from the show so I can't remember exactly what was going on between Nucky and Manny, but wouldn't Nucky want to keep him around since Manny is principled and more predictable than most? There might be something to contradict this, but it's not coming to me.

These aren't moral people. They act out of self interest. Nucky teaming up with Manny is hardly the most offensive thing he's done, especially if you consider Manny killing her to be 'practical' (which I do, as far as thugs go).

Yep Manny is good for business plus he sticks to his word he warned Jimmy of the consequences of screwing with him when they first met.

Jimmy wanted to be an asshole and refuse the man his money that he was owed. Remember Jimmy could have easily payed Manny his money and have him leave hm alone but instead stalled him, taunted him then tried to have him whacked. And people call Nucky an asshole? All cards were off the table after that unfortunately.

I have great confidence in the writers and I'm not worried about the show's outcome without Jimmy. I have never been a Michael Pitt fan, in fact, I kinda hated watching him act.

However, he grew on me incredibly fast in BE and to the point where he ended my favourite character. My point is that Terrence Winter, along every other writer, got me hooked with a character (played by an actor that I did not like) so easily. So I have no doubt in my mind that they will write another great character in and make most of us hooked again. There are enough interesting characters waiting for an arc.

i think he's the only character we ever got really close to.. even including nucky

Arment

This show is like the polar opposite of The Sopranos, where they did their best to make you sympathize with Tony. In Boardwalk Empire they make you want to hate Nucky every episode, even when he's spilling his heart about his kid dieing. But they gave us Jimmy and that was cool. Now Jimmy is gone and the only person I remotely 'like' is Harrow. I wonder who will fill that void this season?

I'd say in order greatness I'm looking forward to Van Alden, Harrow and Capone this season. Chaulky could impress, but he's been underused.

Ricky_R

i think he's the only character we ever got really close to.. even including nucky

I agree. I think that his personality worked too. I don't think it would've been the same with a character like Capone considering he's so wild and loud.

We would love him for those wild reasons, but it wouldn't feel as personal as it did with Jimmy IMO.

Dabanton

As another poster so aptly pointed out to me. My big contention right now with the Jimmy death is the unrealistic manner in which it went down.

Its clearly established that the one piece of foundation Jimmy has in his life is his son. And the way he just calmly goes to his demise instead of acting how any real father in that situation would and fighting til the last drop to protect the most important thing you cherish is what makes the ending slightly lazy to me after reflecting on it a while.

Not to mention Jimmy is also leaving his son with his mother who he realized is the reason he became what he did. I read many books in ASOIAF, so im ok with charcters you like getting whacked, but the way this went down feels lacking in believability.

He knew the game was up and wanted to die on his terms rather than waiting to catch a bullet in the back of the head when he least expected it. He signed over the estate to his son and i think after what he did to his mother i.e almost killing her, she'll never try that again. It was made clear during the last season that because she had Jimmy so young she was less than mature in her dealings with him. Seeing him as more of a companion than a son and then a lover.

He obviously wanted to die in the war but came back. As Jimmy himself said

‎"I died in the trench, years back. I thought you knew that."

He was a broken man from the very first episode the war and his guilt over his mother broke him.

goodfella

nucky getting in bed with the guy that killed jimmy's wife was some awful shit. I can never root for that guy ever again, in fact I hope they pull a jimmy on him as soon as possible.

Are you forgetting that Jimmy completely fucks Nucky, the guy who raised and looked after him? That Jimmy then tried to murder Nucky? That Jimmy turned Nucky's brother Eli against him?

Killing Jimmy was completely justified.

It is not like Jimmy had and will to live left anyway, he pretty much committed suicide.

The only fucked up thing is that Jimmy would leave his son in the hands of his bitch of a mother.

RangersFan

LTTP: HOLY FUCK. I just finished season 2. Wow this show is amazing. This is the best HBO show since Deadwood. This is even better than Game of Thrones. This show is just so damn well made, the set pieces are amazing and the cast is amazing. Reading through some of the pages my god is there a lot of Darmody love, I understand he was pretty bad ass at times, but he was so stupid it was inevitable. I've always been a bigger fan of Nucky, man is Buscemi great. Can't wait for season 3, so man of the shows I watch have been getting really bad (dexter, californication, fringe, the office) nice to have a new show to follow.

Vega

i think clearly, Owen is going to become a big player in season 3. Maybe he'll even become the second "Lead" like Michael Pitt was.

Socreges

Banned
Dabanton, great posts.

There was also the scene with Jimmy talking to his son at the beach, which I think was very important. They talk about independence (obviously the son doesn't understand it in the same way). The son putting on the soldier hat and being taken away on the horse. Jimmy looking at his mother and then back toward his son with tears in his eyes, as if wondering if he's going to be alright.

Helmholtz

I thought he was great, and still my favorite character of S2. He wasn't ready to be the boss, and didn't really want to be. He fucked up and fucked up royally, I don't see how the writers were lazy with him.

Yeah he also made the show for me.
Yeah, months after seeing the finale I'm not really sure how I feel about it. At the time it was really shocking and seemed like a really ballsy thing to do. But now I'm wondering if it was simply too great a loss. Jimmy was one of my favourite characters despite his flaws, and I felt he was one of the wild cards of the show which kept it interesting. I'll certainly keep watching but I really hope it won't feel like something is missing which is how I think it might be now.

Wray

I think the show will be find without Jimmy. The cast on the show is amazing and there are plenty of awesome characters that don't get enough screen time that could be promoted to more major characters now that Jimmy is gone.

Namely Rothstein, Chalky, Capone, Owen, Manny, and Richard.

He knew the game was up and wanted to die on his terms rather than waiting to catch a bullet in the back of the head when he least expected it. He signed over the estate to his son and i think after what he did to his mother i.e almost killing her, she'll never try that again. It was made clear during the last season that because she had Jimmy so young she was less than mature in her dealings with him. Seeing him as more of a companion than a son and then a lover.

He obviously wanted to die in the war but came back. As Jimmy himself said

He was a broken man from the very first episode the war and his guilt over his mother broke him.

Couldnt say it any better.

Oh hell yes:
Hollywood Reporter said:
'Boardwalk Empire' Adds 'Justified,' 'True Blood' Actor

After a sophomore season that featured the death of a handful of series regulars, HBO's Boardwalk Empire is continuing to rebuild its ranks, with Stephen Root joining the drama.

The premium cable network announced Friday that Root will recur as Gaston Means
, a forger, swindler and murder suspect who became a Special Investigator for the United States Department of Justice under Attorney General Harry Daugherty (Christopher McDonald).

The news comes a week after Bobby Cannavale joined the period drama from Terence Winter and Martin Scorsese as a series regular, playing Gyp Rosetti --
a charming but ruthless gangster who challenges Nucky (Steve Buscemi).

In its second season, Boardwalk killed off co-star Michael Pitt's Jimmy Darmody, Dabney Coleman's Commodore and Aleksa Palladino's Angela Darmody. In addition, the series opted not to renew its option on Paz de la Huerta, with new mom Lucy likely also joining the list of Boardwalk's departing characters.

The casting reteams Root with HBO, where he guest starred on True Blood as Eddie, a vampire who supplied Lafayette with V. His credits include Justified and Rango.

97P4V.jpg

neocoder

Banned
I finished season 2 last night and really enjoyed the series. When I watched the first show (S01E01), I didn't like it and almost gave up on the show. But I stuck with it based on GAF's recommendations and I'm glad I did. It got better with the second episode and continued. The sets were well put together and seemed accurate for that time period.

I loved looking at the details of the homes. Mundane details like the push button wall switches, the hot water heater next to the range, etc.

Does anyone else really like the opening footage/music? I watch it every time and I never tire of it. The images of Nucky standing on the beach, the whiskey bottles in the water, the sky are all incredible.

Personally, I don't have any hatred for Nucky and I do want to see him do well. I will miss seeing Darmody.

Now I will be moving on to "The Wire". It does blow that there's no HD version available.

The new season needs more Van Alden, Rothstein, Chalky, and Harrow. Chalky was so underutilized in the second season, especially after that awesome episode about him early on.

YoungHav

Banned
I don't get the Nucky hate really. If I were in his position I would've offed him too, as much as we all love Jimmy.
Yes. The Nucky hate makes no sense, everyone conveniently forgets the attempted hit on Nuck by Jim. I would have killed my own son if he put a hit on me like that.

Grinchy

Banned
Yes. The Nucky hate makes no sense, everyone conveniently forgets the attempted hit on Nuck by Jim. I would have killed my own son if he put a hit on me like that.

I almost feel like people are confusing the fact that the show is purposely making Nucky someone worth hating with their feelings of actually hating him. He's supposed to be a shitty, unlikable person.

It reminds me of the Breaking Bad thread when people started acting surprised when Walt was becoming a worse and worse person. The show's called Breaking Bad. Maybe that should be the first clue.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
They are filming season 3 by me in Historic Richmond Town. They also filmed by the beech which I did a catering for but wasn't allowed any where near the set or near the cast sadly.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just finished season 2 finally. Holy shit it was good. Jimmy had to go but I really wasn't expecting it this season.

- Sepinwall is moderating An Evening with Boardwalk Empire for Emmy voters next Thursday

The panel will supposedly be streamed online, too.
An Evening with Boardwalk Empire
Live Webcast on Emmys.com & Emmys.tv

April 26, 2012 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm

PANELISTS*
STEVE BUSCEMI
Nucky Thompson

KELLY MACDONALD
Margaret

MICHAEL PITT
Jimmy Darmody

MICHAEL SHANNON
Nelson Van Alden

VINCENT PIAZZA
“Lucky” Luciano

MICHAEL STUHLBARG
Arnold Rothstein

TERENCE WINTER
Creator and Executive Producer

GRETCHEN MOL
Gillian Darmody

Moderated by ALAN SEPINWALL Senior Editor, HitFix.com

Amir0x

Banned
is this show gud? i went through all of breaking bad and i want another drama of similar quality

it's really good so far - second season was spectacular and much better than first. But the top tier drama is The Wire, if you haven't seen that catch it.

- A few more details on the Emmy panel moderated by Sepinwall tomorrow evening
Sepinwall said:
Tomorrow night, I'll be in LA to moderate a "Boardwalk Empire" panel featuring Terence Winter and a good chunk of the season 2 cast: Steve Buscemi, Kelly Macdonald, Gretchen Mol, Vincent Piazza and all the Michaels: Pitt, Shannon, Stuhlbarg and Kenneth Williams. It's for members of the TV Academy as part of the show's Emmy campaign, but it will also be streamed live on Emmys.com and Emmys.tv, from around 7:30 to 9 p.m. Pacific. It's rare to have this many castmembers from the show together (even the first press tour session was, I believe, just Winter, Buscemi and Macdonald), so we'll be talking about a lot of stuff from both seasons, and not just the Nucky/Jimmy events from the end of season 2.

- Link for the "An Evening with Boardwalk Empire" panel tonight
Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific)

Join us here at Emmys.com for our next exclusive behind-the-scenes program An Evening with Boardwalk Empire. This star-studded live webcast — featuring "Nucky Thompson" himself, esteemed actor Steve Buscemi, and more Boardwalk stars.

Among the scheduled guests for An Evening with Boardwalk Empire are:
STEVE BUSCEMI Nucky Thompson
KELLY MACDONALD Margaret
MICHAEL PITT Jimmy Darmody
MICHAEL SHANNON Nelson Van Alden
VINCENT PIAZZA “Lucky” Luciano
MICHAEL STUHLBARG Arnold Rothstein
GRETCHEN MOL Gillian Darmody
MICHAEL KENNETH WILLIAMS Chalky White
TERENCE WINTER Creator and Executive Producer
Moderated by ALAN SEPINWALL Senior Editor, HitFix.com

The panel thing is starting in 10 minutes for anyone that's interested. Streaming links are listed above.

EDIT: They say the webcast will start at 7:45PT.

duckroll

I finished season 2 earlier this month. It was really a huge kick in the gut. Especially the last few episodes. Everyone had it coming due to all the shit decisions being made throughout the season, but still, it was pretty painful to watch. Great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom