• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bombing. Wii U $245/$300 at Costco

Akey

Banned
It still is amazing that people try to argue this. It isn't as if the data is being streamed over the Internet from a distant location or anything. It's local ad hoc from 10-15 feet away, and it's 480P resolution video. The wonders of technology!

What does that have to do with anything other then being hampered by internet speed it would be the same thing.....Its not ad hoc you have no clue what you are talking about that is clear. Its also not technology that is not found in other places but its not cheap which is what everyone here seems to think.

majik13

My plan is to wait for the next hardware revision before making a purchase.

you may loose out on features, like what has happened with previous nintendo consoles. So suit yourself. And probably wont be for a very long time.

I think they will revision the gamepad before the whole console though

I don't think so, not any more. A lot of electronics are excluded from the policy.
There's a tab stating their return policy right on the product page. I don't see video games on the list of items that are limited to 90-day return periods.
Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

zruben

Banned
I love this threads... it's awesome to read all the hyperboles people tends to make... either fanboys or haters... videogames are just a strange and unique hobby, people just take it too seriously.

it's really amusing =)

majik13

The only thing that would make me buy a Wii U would be if it got more quality 3rd party Japanese games/devs like P* on it. I don't care about Nintendo games anymore. I'm a console free agent for next-gen and none have made a compelling argument yet for me to buy one.
...but it does have Platinum on it, and judging by your avatar I am sure you know that they are bringing Bayo2 to it. as well as Wonderful 101 pretty soon. Not sure I understand your plight.

heck they just did an Iwata Asks with Platinum.

GenericUser

buy a last gen machine for 300 bucks or wait a couple of month and buy a proper next gen machine for 400 or 500 monies?

is there even a question?

mantidor

buy a last gen machine for 300 bucks or wait a couple of month and buy a proper next gen machine for 400 or 500 monies?

neither ps4 nor Xbox 3 will release in a couple of months...

or are you talking about something else?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Yes?

How about: Does it/Will it have games you want?

...but it does have Platinum on it, and judging by your avatar I am sure you know that they are bringing Bayo2 to it. as well as Wonderful 101 pretty soon. Not sure I understand your plight.

heck they just did an Iwata Asks with Platinum.

I think he's looking for more devs LIKE Platinum, not "We need Platinum on there, first thing." That much has been made pretty obvious by now

Valnen

Still too expensive for something that's barely more powerful than a 360 in the same year that consoles vastly more powerful will be coming out.

GenericUser

Yes?

How about: Does it/Will it have games you want?

no, i will happily stick with my first statement. I simply do not care about 2005 tech anymore. WiiU does not even have the motion controller thingy, why would anybody care about this kind of system in 2013? sales/prices confirm this statement.

aaaaarg! I've got my finger on the trigger, GAF! I absolutely need this baby by March 19 for Monster Hunter but I'm worried an even better deal might come along before that time. Costco charges a $15 non-member fee so the deal is not quite as sweet as it first seems. Someone convince me! Fill me with reassurance!

majik13

Hmm.

I really want to buy it. Considering its upcoming releases. And $50 off for the 32 GB ain't bad. But 32 GB is so little. What are the chances of Ninty coming out with a higher GB SKU sometime in the future?

It's hard to say, I guess. Considering this is the first Nintendo console to have a hard-drive.

Wii had internal flash memory just like wiiu does. And it would be in your best interest to just buy a much cheaper external HDD than hoping for more expensive internal memory. The reason Nintendo does this is to not drive up cost like the other 2 consoles do with internal memory storage.

Verendus

Banned
$249 is around £160. That's good value here in the UK for such a new console. If this wasn't region-locked, I would arrange to get this picked up. I guess I will wait a year, it'll inevitably bomba to that price if recent retailer deals are any indication.

Sandfox

aaaaarg! I've got my finger on the trigger, GAF! I absolutely need this baby by March 19 for Monster Hunter but I'm worried an even better deal might come along before that time. Costco charges a $15 non-member fee so the deal is not quite as sweet as it first seems. Someone convince me! Fill me with reassurance!

You're probably aren't going to find a better deal by then unless you're buying it second hand and even that's not guaranteed.

So, are you saying Nintendo was capable of making the system with the current specs and that technology for less money without the system being sold at a loss...

Despite the fact that at $350 it's being sold at a loss?

I don't get it. You imply that it's not a technological marvel, but the system is still being sold at a loss. So, what justifies that price point, then? "It's not next gen! Streaming technology isn't impressive!"

And as others have said, what's with this ridiculous $99 dollars shit? The Wii doesn't even retail for that unless it's black friday. Just say you aren't going to buy one. :p

The bolded text the person that I responded to was responding to was focused on your claim that the streaming was somehow something people should be impressed by, it's not. The reason it hasn't been done is because no one's cared enough to make a device like the Wii U, because they never saw enough demand to warrant it.

As for price, I'd say that it is definitely overpriced for what it is regardless of how expensive it was to manufacture. PS3 cost over $900 to manufacture and ship to stores at launch and people argued that it was overpriced then, why should the same not be applied to the Wii U now?

What does that have to do with anything other then being hampered by internet speed it would be the same thing.....Its not ad hoc you have no clue what you are talking about that is clear. Its also not technology that is not found in other places but its not cheap which is what everyone here seems to think.

Wii U pad uses 802.11 wireless for streaming directly between the system and the console, does it not? Why would it not be considered an ad hoc wireless setup?

RagnarokX

no, i will happily stick with my first statement. I simply do not care about 2005 tech anymore. WiiU does not even have the motion controller thingy, why would anybody care about this kind of system in 2013? sales/prices confirm this statement.

1. Not 2005 tech.

2. It does have the motion controller thingy.

3. The game pad offers even more gameplay options.

4. It has games the other 2 will never have.

majik13

I think he's looking for more devs LIKE Platinum, not "We need Platinum on there, first thing." That much has been made pretty obvious by now

thah the way i read it was that they were an example of the Japanese dev they want on the system. But he probabaly meant more devs like them.

What other japanese devs are like Platinum anyway?
Grasshopper?

Crom

So, are you saying Nintendo was capable of making the system with the current specs and that technology for less money without the system being sold at a loss...

Despite the fact that at $350 it's being sold at a loss?

I don't get it. You imply that it's not a technological marvel, but the system is still being sold at a loss. So, what justifies that price point, then? "It's not next gen! Streaming technology isn't impressive!"

And as others have said, what's with this ridiculous $99 dollars shit? The Wii doesn't even retail for that unless it's black friday. Just say you aren't going to buy one. :p

Agreed. People are acting like bitter scorned wenches that were used for 1 night stands.

Yes, the Wii burned a lot of people but it looks like Nintendo is serious about putting out good software for their new system instead of a bunch of minigame collections.

The WiiU started off like the 3DS but it has some awesome exclusive (1st and 3rd party collaboration) games coming out in the near future.

The other 2 systems will be great but lets be honest.....they are pretty similar when it comes to exclusives with Sony holding the edge over Xbox.

Nintendo systems are great for many of their 1st party games and some exclusive 3rd party games (esp with the collaborations that Nintendo is doing now) while Sony and Xbox systems are mainly great for their 3rd party games that are shared between the 2 systems.

Raoh

I was debating using my store warranty to replace my wii u with a new unopened one to sell on ebay.

I might do this next week.

Edit:
Rewrote sentence in English.

majik13

The bolded text the person that I responded to was responding to was focused on your claim that the streaming was somehow something people should be impressed by, it's not. The reason it hasn't been done is because no one's cared enough to make a device like the Wii U, because they never saw enough demand to warrant it.

As for price, I'd say that it is definitely overpriced for what it is regardless of how expensive it was to manufacture. PS3 cost over $900 to manufacture and ship to stores at launch and people argued that it was overpriced then, why should the same not be applied to the Wii U now?

pretty sure the real answer is that this specific tech also didn't really exist yet too.

and it is impressive for off tv play imho, plus faster response time than a TV

Dysun

I would buy the deluxe at $199.

Even then I would buy it for potential rather than what's available, because theres nothing I want

FourMyle

I think $149 (no games packed in) to $199 (includes 1 or 2 games) for deluxe would be the sweet spot for Wii U IMO. I would consider buying it at that price range. They really need to get this to Wii levels of cheap. It will be a goldmine for them if they can get it down to that cheap.

damn that was fast. My wife wants one but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reasons to jump in right now.

Not sure what games she likes, but ZombiU and NSMBU is enough reason until Rayman Legends comes out in less than a month.

Still, it seems that Nintendo should have A.) launched at this price or B.) made sure to have a steady stream of games releasing through their long "launch window".

You didn't answer my question at all. Regardless of if you're personally impressed by the technology that the WiiU possesses, it's doing impressive things under the hood that people disregard in favor of convenient (but ultimately irrelevant) arguments.

Nintendo operates differently than Sony and can't afford to do things like make 900 dollar video game systems and sell them at a loss until the market somehow catches up. People don't seem to understand that Nintendo can't really compete with Sony and Microsoft on the same financial level.

I personally think that the system shipped at $50 dollars too high, but I also know that the streaming tech and the gamepad itself are pretty expensive. If you're not interested in playing a game with a touchpad controller, that's absolutely fine. If you're not interested in the streaming, that's great too. But this stupid drivel about the streaming not being technically impressive or the WiiU not being "next gen" just needs to stop. It's ignorant and doesn't foster any kind of actual discussion.

As to the bolded, [CITATION NEEDED]

TDLink

I think $149 (no games packed in) to $199 (includes 1 or 2 games) for deluxe would be the sweet spot for Wii U IMO. I would consider buying it at that price range. They really need to get this to Wii levels of cheap. It will be a goldmine for them if they can get it down to that cheap.

It's also a completely unreasonable price range that won't happen for at least 4-5 years. That price would be below their handhelds.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

This is such a fucking great gif.

RagnarokX

They can't do that. They would be taking way too much of a loss.

do you need a costo memership to buy their online items? if so, wouldn't that bring the price back up to or close to normal retail value? (assuming the membership fee is 40 or 50 dollars)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Oh I am definitely returning my Wii U this weekend then. I love the thing, and have barely turned it off since I got it, but if the price is collapsing, I will rebuy it after the price stabilizes at whatever number. If I can save 80 bucks, like with 3DS, I'll be thrilled.

Nintendo were foolish to launch without the one game that sold 30 million Wii's by itself. Wii Sports. They thought Nintendoland was a showpiece. It's fun, but it doesn't "look" like fun. People impulse buy stuff that looks like fun to them. Watching someone play Wii bowling or tennis was the best advertisement the Wii could have ever gotten. WiiU doesn't have anything like that. Watching someone use the Gamepad doesn't "look" fun. It looks like a tablet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

You implied there wasn't a question for anyone, not yourself.

Honestly, anybody buying a system that doesn't have "Are there games I like" as the first thing on their mind is a fool.

majik13

Input lag, not response time, they are very very different things.
(the screen is LCD so the response time will suck anyhow :p)

yes, I meant input lag, sucks when a lot od articles and even devs use these terms interchangeably. but it still updates before the tv it is plugged into does. And doesn't make the tech any less impressive.

Mikey Jr.

Good luck with that. The controller alone would probably cost nearly that, never mind the rest of the hardware attached to it.

You're not going to the buy the system. It's okay. If you're not enticed by the current games, the games shown in the recent Nintendo Direct, plus the promises for the games we already knew were coming, plus the potential of indie dev contributions on the eShop, plus the Wii U VC which will enhance the VC experience with the Wii U's unique features (Gamepad, Miiverse), and other developments such as GBA VC support, then no one's going to cut your head off.

Not sure why people love to dangle Virtual Console as a selling point so much. Is playing Super Mario World for the 18th time on ANOTHER console supposed to move systems?

Me, and many other people, got burned on the Wii. There many examples of people saying how their Wii is collecting dust in their closet. It's not a mystery. Nintendo makes awesome first party games, there is the rare great exclusive third party, then there is the third party games that are terrible, or are vastly superior on another console. Then there comes the drought near the tail end of the console when it is essentially dead (ie Wii)

Nintendo miss out on probably 2/3 of the great third party games.

And the eshop? I don't even remember the last time people were hyped up about an eshop game. Maybe Megaman 9? And that came to the other consoles anyways.

Anyways, I feel like $99 is the right price for me. Yeah, if it never goes that low, then I'll get it for as low as possible (when WiiU2) comes out.

You didn't answer my question at all. Regardless of if you're personally impressed by the technology that the WiiU possesses, it's doing impressive things under the hood that people disregard in favor of convenient (but ultimately irrelevant) arguments.

Nintendo operates differently than Sony and can't afford to do things like make 900 dollar video game systems and sell them at a loss until the market somehow catches up. People don't seem to understand that Nintendo can't really compete with Sony and Microsoft on the same financial level.

I personally think that the system shipped at $50 dollars too high, but I also know that the streaming tech and the gamepad itself are pretty expensive. If you're not interested in playing a game with a touchpad controller, that's absolutely fine. If you're not interested in the streaming, that's great too. But this stupid drivel about the streaming not being technically impressive or the WiiU not being "next gen" just needs to stop. It's ignorant and doesn't foster any kind of actual discussion.

As to the bolded, [CITATION NEEDED]
How are we supposed to judge how impressive the technology is without any actual testing? Just take Nintendo and their partner's word for it? Because if that's the barrier then there are a hell of a lot of amazing technologies developed every single minute of every single day.

As for my citation on their being limited demand for a product of this kind: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510536

tyrone888

Neo Member
Oh I am definitely returning my Wii U this weekend then. I love the thing, and have barely turned it off since I got it, but if the price is collapsing, I will rebuy it after the price stabilizes at whatever number. If I can save 80 bucks, like with 3DS, I'll be thrilled.

Nintendo were foolish to launch without the one game that sold 30 million Wii's by itself. Wii Sports. They thought Nintendoland was a showpiece. It's fun, but it doesn't "look" like fun. People impulse buy stuff that looks like fun to them. Watching someone play Wii bowling or tennis was the best advertisement the Wii could have ever gotten. WiiU doesn't have anything like that. Watching someone use the Gamepad doesn't "look" fun. It looks like a tablet.

So you have been playing it non-stop and now want to return it and not play it anymore until you feel the price has stabilized?

DaBoss

You do buy consoles to play games right and not just because it is 2013 tech? I'll answer your question, people will care about it because it has games they want. Simple as that, I don't see why you can't understand that. Sales/price doesn't confirm your statement. It confirms that there is more supply than demand at the price point that is offered.

Purchased! Not sure I really wanted the deluxe but my preference in color pulled me toward it. I will cry if there are any better sales between now and Monster Hunter. Oh well, I expected and was prepared to pay full MSRP anyway.

Top Bottom