• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bombing. Wii U $245/$300 at Costco

Coolwhip

Banned
I made a huge mistake buying a Wii. The thing has collected 3 inches of dust after playing all the good games (which didn't take long mind you).

So yeah, for me WiiU has to drop to $99 before I even consider it.

Im waiting for an iPad to drop to 149, im just that picky.

AniHawk

But it will have both fairly soon. Rayman is at the end of February.

and pikmin is 'spring-summer 2013'

pikmin 3 is probably august or september. that would be about the time we see other games coming out for the thing. we'll also have a much better look at the system by then, so maybe if the price hasn't dropped, it would soon.

The fact that we're an hour in and it's still in stock is pretty damning. It kind of shows that even were the system to receive a 20% discount, there isn't THAT much pent up demand for it at this point.

TDLink

and pikmin is 'spring-summer 2013'

pikmin 3 is probably august or september. that would be about the time we see other games coming out for the thing. we'll also have a much better look at the system by then, so maybe if the price hasn't dropped, it would soon.

Nah, I think Pikmin is May or June at the latest. Wonderful 101 is going to be that late summer/August game.

I honestly thought about going to buy it, with GTA V not coming until fall.

Then I remembered there aren't really any good games yet. :( Worst launch lineup since Wii

zruben

Banned
I made a huge mistake buying a Wii. The thing has collected 3 inches of dust after playing all the good games (which didn't take long mind you).

i had my wii for about 5 days before i traded it in for a 360. had fun with wii sports and that is it.

besides agreeing or disagreeing with that...
are you guys aware that this kind of posts just says "i don't know how to make research before buying stuff"?... you're not really trolling nintendo guys, you're trolling yourself

You heard it here first, folks. Lag free streaming to your controller which is a second screen isn't technologically impressive at all!

Clearly, the system is only worth $150, despite current generation hardware still selling for more than that.

Some of you people are real pieces of work.

But it haz no graphix, so it is not impressiv!

Etzer

I've seen better Wii U deals on eBay.

i had my wii for about 5 days before i traded it in for a 360. had fun with wii sports and that is it.
Do people just not wait for games that interest them to be released before they waste money on a console?

Seriously, between this and the "$99 or no buy" people, this is getting ridiculous...

Ugh.

Wow, that's pretty tempting. I don't really like the white but $250 is a good price for the system. All I'm giving up besides my preferred color is the hard drive (which doesn't matter since you can use an external drive) and Nintendo Land, right?

The only games I really want to play are old Wii games I missed though. If Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 were right around the corner I'd probably jump on this, even at that discount though I don't think I want to pay $300 after adding a nunchuck combo to play Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword.

Soriku

Congrats on missing a bunch of good games I guess. Or is this just a troll?

I won't consider a Wii U till around the time X releases, most likely. SMT x FE and 3D Mario are also good incentives. I think the Wii U will have at least an official $50 cut by then too.

kuroshiki

I just feel sorry for those fools who lined up in WiiU launch just to resell them later on ebay.

LOL SUCKERS.

But seriously demand for this thing is like rock bottom or something.

Mlatador

Banned
Damn, I hope this lasts. Will pick up a Deluxe just in time for Monster Hunter

I just remember the OG 3DS being 110 or 115 pound on amacon.co.uk just only a couple of month after launch. It was when everyone thought the 3DS was doomned.

I know, the uk market is crazy at times, but still, when I saw that I thought: "I don't think that's gonna last long". And that's how it was. Since then, I have never seen that price again.

I think right now, that's might be a similar situation. Some retailer overreacting a little.

Drek

Very tempting but there is nothing I need to play at this point and the price will only go down from here.

This is Nintendo's big failing. Even a price cut won't matter much until they get games out. What happened to the company that used to launch with a major first party IP every generation? Show me why the tablet is so great via a new Mario, Zelda, etc.. Until then the price is irrelevant.

AHA-Lambda

If $99 is too expensive... heck if $299 is too expensive... you have bigger issues to worry about than gaming. And I say this as a person who hates Nintendo.

erm...no. It's not about if you can afford it or not it's whether or not it is worth it to you at that price.

I would never pay £20 for a mars bar, I could afford it, but of course I wouldn't pay it.

Iwata: No WiiU Price Cuts this year !!
Retailers: Do you eat shit?

s3AoP.gif

Good luck with that. The controller alone would probably cost nearly that, never mind the rest of the hardware attached to it.

You're not going to the buy the system. It's okay. If you're not enticed by the current games, the games shown in the recent Nintendo Direct, plus the promises for the games we already knew were coming, plus the potential of indie dev contributions on the eShop, plus the Wii U VC which will enhance the VC experience the Wii U's unique features (Gamepad, Miiverse), and other developments such as GBA VC support, then no one's going to cut your head off.

abso-smurfly the best possible answer one could reasonably give to an unreasonable request.

kuroshiki

I just remember the OG 3DS being 110 or 115 pound on amacon.co.uk just only a couple of month after launch. It was when everyone thought the 3DS was doomned.

I know, the uk market is crazy at times, but still, when I saw that I thought: "I don't think that's gonna last long". And that's how it was. Since then, I have never seen that price again.

I think right now, that's might be a similar situation. Some retailer overreacting a little.

The difference here is that Nintendo is facing two upcoming rivals with superior tech, and most people are predicting official price cut near e3.

So it will only get CHEAPER not more expensive.

AGITΩ

Doubt this is Vendor supported, so that means Costco still has to pay Nintendo the difference of the regular price. So Nintendo still gets reimbursed, Costco Clears out Inventory, people get a deal. So its kinda a win for everyone...except Costco.

kuroshiki

AGITΩ;47140213 said:
Doubt this is Vendor supported, so that means Costco still has to pay Nintendo the difference of the regular price. So Nintendo still gets reimbursed, Costco Clears out Inventory, people get a deal. So its kinda a win for everyone...except Costco.

Usually retailer has the right to return the goods to manufacturer at full price, or give manufacturer an option to reimburse the difference after the clearance sale, if the price is slashed within certain period of time.

I highly doubt costco is taking any damage from this.

My plan is to wait for the next hardware revision before making a purchase.

They didn't do this for the Wii, or the GameCube, or N64...

Thats a handheld thing.

Secondly if anything it will probably be a smaller system? This system is already small. If anything they will redo the gamepad and sell it... but you still need the system.

Ichabod

Banned
I'll not bite for anything less than a $200 deluxe bundle with Bayo 2 packed in*.

Unless Bayo 2 goes multi-plat, then its going to take a new Mario RPG, Earthbound, or amazeballs JRPG to pry open my wallet

AGITΩ

Usually retailer has the right to return the goods to manufacturer at full price, or give manufacturer option to reimburse the money the difference after the clearance sale, if the price is slashed within certain period of time.

I highly doubt costco is taking any damage from this.

It's been ages since I've seen a send back to Nintendo from a retailer. But I remember when Walmart put their exclusive Blue Wii on sale on Black Friday and Nintendo responded saying that they never cleared any sale price for it, so it was all on Walmart. Couldn't Costco be doing the same thing?

After years of snarky fan comments Iwata finally dropped the BOMB, a console shaped one.

On the bright side, maybe well get another Nintendo Direct with some more unveils of important games preventing the need to wait for the f*cking E3.

Top Bottom