• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bombing. Wii U $245/$300 at Costco

meta4

People expecting the price for this to drop to $200 anytime within the next 5 years, at least for the deluxe version, are completely out of your mind. Stop being cheapasses and undervaluing technologies like that. What do you expect to pay for the 720/PS4, $250?

Ha.

There is nothing technologically impressive about the WiiU.

At least Nintendo is being agressive I suppose, but still, oh dear.
This isn't Nintendo reacting, this is Costco saying they don't have the confidence that they can sell their supply of WiiUs through their traditional method of creating a "discount" by bundling the console at MSRP with some high-margin accessories, like a spare controller or remote control or shovelware or random plastic junk (the latter was common with the Wii at Costco).

It's a bad sign that this is happening two months after launch.

Does Costco's incredible return policy include videogame systems?
I don't think so, not any more. A lot of electronics are excluded from the policy.

TDLink

Important to note:

This is not being marketed as a sale or discount price. This is a permanent (at least for the foreseeable future) price change for Costco. Considering that and the fact there still aren't really many worthwhile games on the system I imagine it is still best to wait a bit before leaping. This price could move some units in March when stuff like Rayman, Monster Hunter, and Lego City are out though.

Prozel

How is it "great" already?

I own a Wii U. I would not throw "Great" at the system in any shape or form. Nor would I call any system that was only on the market for 4 months "great".

Considering how much I've played with it compared to how low it's been out is, it has been great. That can of course change over time.

Cheech

Limited. Costco is probably trying to clear out the mounds of Wii U consoles sitting in the warehouse.

Yes, as long as you're talking about non-Costco warehouses.

There are a hell of a lot of Wii Us sitting in warehouses right now. What happens is Costco makes a deal to take a shit ton of them at a steep discount, and pass the savings along.

Costco limits the price markup on anything they sell to 15%. Nintendo has said they are losing money on every system. Think about that.

Nintendo is not in a happy place right now, and that is probably woefully understating the mood at Nintendo HQ.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The only thing that would make me buy a Wii U would be if it got more quality 3rd party Japanese games/devs like P* on it. I don't care about Nintendo games anymore. I'm a console free agent for next-gen and none have made a compelling argument yet for me to buy one.

jbueno

At first I thought this was very tempting, but then I remembered there´s nothing of interest in the library so far, and I´m a big Nintendo fan. If Deluxe Units were $250 I would have bought one already, I wish they offered Deluxe White systems.

Davey Cakes

Weird line of thinking: a near-launch console with near-launch games needs to be less than launch price to make it worth buying.

I mean, it's fucking true. If you're not enticed by 2 or more games then obviously a gaming console won't be worth the investment, and the odds are that near launch a console will not always have enough games that interest a particular person to make it worth the price.

That said, just because the Wii U hasn't been flooded with a full library of amazing games, doesn't mean that it should have to drop to $200 with a pack-in game. That's crazy.

I say this as an early adopter who knew what he was getting into. If the console kept its full $350 price tag but had 5 must-play retail games, it would be worth the price depending on the perspective of the consumer. This is especially considering the system's unique features. It's completely rational to believe that a console needs a lot of time (at least a year) to be truly worth its asking price. At this point in the game, you're either investing in the future or holding off. The odds of buying the console right now, at full price, with 100% value in mind are slim.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If $99 is too expensive... heck if $299 is too expensive... you have bigger issues to worry about than gaming. And I say this as a person who hates Nintendo.

How exactly can you "hate" a developper though? You may not like their games or the hardware they're making... but "hate"?

zigg

This is pretty much what Best Buy was offering when I went Basic when they offered free Nintendo Land.

I was pretty happy with that price.

There is nothing technologically impressive about the WiiU.

You heard it here first, folks. Lag free streaming to your controller which is a second screen isn't technologically impressive at all!

Clearly, the system is only worth $150, despite current generation hardware still selling for more than that.

Some of you people are real pieces of work.

kuroshiki

It's heading toward to the right price.

$199 is where it's at.

You heard it here first, folks. Lag free streaming to your controller which is a second screen isn't technologically impressive at all!

Clearly, the system is only worth $150, despite current generation hardware still selling for more than that.

Some of you people are real pieces of work.

And why is it technologically impressive? It's not like it is streaming 2-3 streams at a time.

Davey Cakes

A completely lifeless environment with little (if any) decorators.

Amazing.
I'm not going to defend the over-use of that .gif but the reason that people are excited for X is because it looks like some sort of successor to Xenoblade, which is an amazing game.

To appreciate the .gif is to take this context into consideration, not just to look at what's actually visible in the .gif.

Mikey Jr.

I made a huge mistake buying a Wii. The thing has collected 3 inches of dust after playing all the good games (which didn't take long mind you).

So yeah, for me WiiU has to drop to $99 before I even consider it.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Iacobellis
(Today, 03:00 PM)

moe6142

Banned
I made a huge mistake buying a Wii. The thing has collected 3 inches of dust after playing all the good games (which didn't take long mind you).

i had my wii for about 5 days before i traded it in for a 360. had fun with wii sports and that is it.

I wonder how these threads will be looked upon when and if Durangorbis aren't as well received as many think.

It's easy to assume the best case scenario now that we don't know anything... but I think the Wii U might be only the beginning when it comes to next gen not setting the charts aflame.

Usually with this short period, retailer contact manufacturer saying that they will do the price cut and manufacturer reimburse the money.

Otherwise retailer doesn't store the goods.
OK, it would probably be better for them to extend this to everyone but then I guess it would become an official cut.
Amazon claims that they want to sell Wii U though (they might not care now) but I see your point.

Saying you will buy at 99 dollars only is basically a way of saying I will never buy a Wii U and barely want one to begin with so why not just say that? Is saying you want it for that cheap supposed to make it sound like some kind of reasonable offer?

Davey Cakes

Good luck with that. The controller alone would probably cost nearly that, never mind the rest of the hardware attached to it.

You're not going to the buy the system. It's okay. If you're not enticed by the current games, the games shown in the recent Nintendo Direct, plus the promises for the games we already knew were coming, plus the potential of indie dev contributions on the eShop, plus the Wii U VC which will enhance the VC experience with the Wii U's unique features (Gamepad, Miiverse), and other developments such as GBA VC support, then no one's going to cut your head off.

Top Bottom