• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bombs detonated at Boston Marathon finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

What could possibly be the message they are trying to send? "I hate long distance runners?" It's just really weird, it's not a symbol of America or capitalism like the WTC or the Superbowl or something would be, it's just a race...

Lots of attacks make not much sense. I would not put it past any religious nut job.

Mission

Such a weird incident:

- A marathon is a weird target
- 3 hours after the race finished

You must not know much about marathons.

The winners crossed the line 3 hours ago but most people who run will be coming in about this far after them. People train for years in hopes of working their way up to this particular marathon.

If its on a holiday and guaranteed to draw a crowd then I don't see why you would think its an odd target.

It's too early to call, but I think what I've seen so far looks hopeful for casualties and injuries. Obviously any toll is too high, but it doesn't look like the nightmare scenario you might imagine when you hear 'Boston Marathon' and 'bombs' in the same sentence.

Attacking a huge famous public event reeks of terrorism. It's a scare tactic.
'Terrorism' is not the exclusive domain of any one group or ideology.

Can the general public take part in the Boston marathon? If so, it's not as strange as it seems.

For example, London Marathon. The pros run first and then there's the marathon that anyone can enter. People are crossing the finish line for hours and hours during the day. Hours and hours after the first person crosses.

Anyone can race. For the people saying 3 hours after it finished, thats 3 hours after the first person finished. Others are still filtering in.

Sean-Exposion-jpg.jpg

he first explosion happened across from the Lenox Hotel and the second blast was about 15 seconds later, witnesses said.

Many of the injured appeared to be spectators who gathered for the 117th running of the race.

NewsCenter 5's Sean Kelly said the impact of the explosions could be felt blocks away.

The victims were being taken to Massachusetts General Hospital.

NewsCenter 5 and WCVB.com will have more information when it becomes available.

Wellscha

That's horrible :(

Prayers to all that are affected. GAF, please don't be part of the vicious media cycle. Wait until we get an official statement on what is going on.

Holy crap this is terrible... Why would anyone do such a horrendous thing?

Stay safe Boston-GAF and everyone who had friends/family that were running the Marathon today.

Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Meadows

Banned
Can the general public take part in the Boston marathon? If so, it's not as strange as it seems.

For example, London Marathon. The pros run first and then there's the marathon that anyone can enter. People are crossing the finish line for hours and hours during the day. Hours and hours after the first person crosses.

From photos the crowd didn't seem huge. Don't think (from the photos of explosion and crowd density, as well as explosions coming from inside buildings) that we'll see a huge (7/7 or something like that) number of casualties here.

But I don't know, best of luck to all those involved.

JeTmAn81

Are you guys seriously playing detective work with little to no details? You going to win a prize? Giddy because you "called it"?

I have to admit that was my instinct, but it was really a childish one. Maybe it's easier for me to start immediately making deductions rather than dealing with the reality of what seems to be the violent death of several people. Sorry guys.

You can watch the CBS live footage at that moment. 3 hours later or not there were still plenty of people crossing and standing there to help the the race and in the stands right next to where it happened.

@DrWardBondTV: "Third bomb found in trash can at Boston marathon. Pray for the protection of law enforcement and EMS in the area please."

Foffy

Banned
Given the timeframe of the explosions, it's not absurd to assume this was planned, right? Do things randomly explode like that in such a period of time?

I hope these reports of more devices are just for extra precaution. Three other devices have been reported so far.

edit: bad wording my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom