• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonus Round: E3 2012 Preview [Up: Part 5: Thrid Parties Again]

jbug617

Banned
So what Vita game is Pachter talking about? I can't tell from his hype level if it is from an analyst perspective or as a gamer.

Metallix87

So what Vita game is Pachter talking about? I can't tell from his hype level if it is from an analyst perspective or as a gamer.

I'm guessing it's God of War Vita. It seems like a logical choice to show up on the platform at E3, with a late 2012 release.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If it's anything like last year, their presser will have the most food at least. Not many things from Sony's conference have leaked so I have no idea what to expect. At least they're focusing on games I suppose.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
1-D_FTW said:
He was talking about cumulative loses from this gen. And PS3 was an unmitigated disaster. It basically gave away all the money the gaming division made during the PSX and PS2 era.

I still don't see this as being quite true. Objectively they are what? 4 million adrift from 360 in terms of hardware shipments, software sales have improved year over year and the hardware itself has been sold at a profit now for quite some time.

More to the point the PS2 "era" didn't fall off a cliff once PS3 was announced, as evidenced by the 40million plus units they've shipped since launch, which has to be pretty profitable for a business that noone pays any attention to.

I still don't see this as being quite true. Objectively they are what? 4 million adrift from 360 in terms of hardware shipments, software sales have improved year over year and the hardware itself has been sold at a profit now for quite some time.

More to the point the PS2 "era" didn't fall off a cliff once PS3 was announced, as evidenced by the 40million plus units they've shipped since launch, which has to be pretty profitable for a business that noone pays any attention to.

Going from outselling the Xbox 6:1 to 4 million adrift from the 360 is sort of really bad.

Yeah, it's probably been highly profitable which is why the 4 billion dollars Sony's gaming unit has lost overall since the PS3 hit causes the PS3 to be a gigantic disaster.

Well, since it's likely not Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter, what else is there that would be worth hyping from a third party?

Noctis.jpg

salromano

If it's anything like last year, their presser will have the most food at least. Not many things from Sony's conference have leaked so I have no idea what to expect. At least they're focusing on games I suppose.

Can you say chocolate-chip cookies and beer?

It sounded like analyst hype to me, so I'm guessing it's going to be a title in an established big name series coming to Vita.

Metallix87

I'd honestly be shocked if it was Final Fantasy. No way he's hyping up a Final Fantasy game for Vita, I would think, since it's common knowledge now that such a game likely wouldn't do much anymore.

I'm still guessing it's God of War Vita.

Synless

I have not watched this preview yet but I was thinking it doesn't seem like SONY has any 1st party exclusives this year at all. Like nothing ... Guess that means a PS4 is around the corner
The Last of Us?

Edit*
That's 2013? Oh, I didn't know.

Would that really help the system all that much? Remake of FF7 and port of FFX... I dunno... I just don't see old titles being enough to keep the system going post-E3 and into the Holidays.

XIII sold 1 million copies on day one in Japan on the PS3. A remake of one of the most popular games in the series would sell a lot more Vita's than another GoW I think.

Metallix87

XIII sold 1 million copies on day one in Japan on the PS3. A remake of one of the most popular games in the series would sell a lot more Vita's than another GoW I think.

It's still a remake, though, and a remake never sells as well as a mainline title (as far as I know). A new God of War would go further, especially in the West, which is the territory that Sony seems to be courting hard with regards to Vita.

Besides, a Final Fantasy Vita title would be much more likely to surface at TGS, wouldn't it?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Going from outselling the Xbox 6:1 to 4 million adrift from the 360 is sort of really bad.

That doesn't actually mean shit though. Its basically saying that 360 "failed" because it didn't sell as many units as the Wii did! You can't summarily discount a competitors successes.

The reality is the company with the most improved performance this gen was Nintendo thanks to them taking a radical approach with the Wii. MS did massively better in the important NA and UK markets with 360 but elsewhere didn't improve much at all.

The point I'm driving at is that the tyranny of numbers simply disproves that the PS3 has performed disastrously badly; Sony as a corporate entity HAS performed disastrously for various reasons, but you simply cannot blame it all on the product that has actually performed decently for them.

I have not watched this preview yet but I was thinking it doesn't seem like SONY has any 1st party exclusives this year at all. Like nothing ... Guess that means a PS4 is around the corner

Starhawk came out this last week.

Not that anyone noticed, which is a shame.

That doesn't actually mean shit though. Its basically saying that 360 "failed" because it didn't sell as many units as the Wii did! You can't summarily discount a competitors successes.

The reality is the company with the most improved performance this gen was Nintendo thanks to them taking a radical approach with the Wii. MS did massively better in the important NA and UK markets with 360 but elsewhere didn't improve much at all.

The point I'm driving at is that the tyranny of numbers simply disproves that the PS3 has performed disastrously badly; Sony as a corporate entity HAS performed disastrously for various reasons, but you simply cannot blame it all on the product that has actually performed decently for them.

Yes, you can. Sony came into the generation with a lot of third-party exclusives, 80% marketshare, and a lot of money made from gaming and proceeded to lose all of that. The only reason it sold as well as it did has to do with the success of the PS2 and how developers thought the PS3 would be the automatic victor because of the PS2's and PS1's success.

Salsa

I was surprised by how much he gushed about Sony's first-party exclusive lineup, when to me, it doesn't seem spectacular whatsoever. God of War: Ascension, The Last of Us, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, LittleBigPlanet Racing, and maybe The Last Guardian for PS3, and I'm sure one or two of those will be 2013. For Vita? Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Sound Shapes, maybe a new God of War? I'm sorry, but nothing here seems very exciting, all things considered.

I disagree with almost everything they talked about.
Sony is doing TONS of things wrong.

agreed

although The Last of Us is exciting, and the other one would be The Last Guardian but i really doubt it exist at this point, at least in the form we saw it.

only thing they can really do is push the Vita as hard as they can, and they probably will. I just hope it isnt by announcing 2nd grade versions of their first party titles with different developers (not saying readyatdawn wasnt great at what they did but i dont think lighting strikes twice when these franchises are so tied to the people making them)

agreed

although The Last of Us is exciting, and the other one would be The Last Guardian but i really doubt it exist at this point, at least in the form we saw it.

only thing they can really do is push the Vita as hard as they can, and they probably will. I just hope it isnt by announcing 2nd grade versions of their first party titles with different developers (not saying readyatdawn wasnt great at what they did but i dont think lighting strikes twice when these franchises are so tied to the people making them)

They don't need to be announcing portable versions of any of their first party series. The reality is that the people that love those games don't want to play them on a small screen. They'll never take off in the way that the console titles do. No matter how much Sony may try to get that idea to work. And that doesn't just apply to Sony titles as Capcom learned that the hard way with Revelations.

Culex

Banned
Damn I guess we have to wait another week for Nintendo's part :-(

Sony's E3 should be interesting though....i really think we are going to hear about the PS4.

Arnie

The guy from the LA Times is the best of the bunch, and the only one making much sense.

Sony haven't had a good multiplayer focused exclusive in a generation where multiplayer is king.

That's one of their biggest faults.

Third parties want to make great games on the PS3 just like on the 360, but it takes more time, work, and effort to pull that off. I wished people would quit blaming 3rd parties for Sony's own design decisions. Also glad I didn't fall for the hype last gen with that cell bullshit.

Top Bottom